ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Oklahoma Joes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278654)

MTG#10 05-07-2016 04:13 PM

Lol I guess I wouldn't have sounded like a dumbass after all. Do a lot of people order it that way? I don't want to be a pain in the ass.

SAUTO 05-07-2016 04:20 PM

Ate there yesterday. Still good.

Saul Good 05-07-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10464855)
Yeah, kind of agree. It's really not very good. But some of those smaller BBQ places aren't very consistent. I read amazing reviews for LC BBQ, kind of buy Kaufman. It was the worst BBQ I've ever had in Kansas City. Just god awful. But I have a friend that swears by it. Oklahoma Joes is consistent every single time.

This is exactly my experience. LCs was trash the last time I went there. Joe's is incredibly consistent.

Saul Good 05-07-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10465053)
Rosedale gets a really bad rap here. Their ribs aren't as good as other places, but their turkey, ham, sausage is all good, and their fries are wonderful. You get three sides with a meal too, usually fries, creamy cole slaw and their beans. Great value.

I think the worst BBQ in the city is Wyandotte BBQ, but that's just me. I'm sure there'll be somebody who will pop up and say they love it. The chains like Bandera's and Rib Crib suck. Famous Dave's has a location by the NASCAR track and a new location on 39th St. in Independence, Their food is a little better, and they have a good selection of sauces; but is very pricey for what you get. And why eat chain BBQ when you're in the Mecca of the BBQ universe? Be like going to San Antonio and eating Taco Bell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 10465312)
Wyandotte BBQ has really good ham sandwiches and I like their fries, that place off sante Fe smoking Joes has decent ribs, I also like johnnys BBQ for lunch, gates is by far the most over rated place in kc, to expensive and the food sucks. Oklahoma Joes is by far the best place in kc for BBQ.

Wyandotte uses cinnamon in their sauce, right? People who use cinnamon in BBQ sauce are monsters.

SAUTO 05-07-2016 04:55 PM

I may prefer slaps.

If their sauce was better I would be sure

Dante84 05-07-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12220530)
Lol I guess I wouldn't have sounded like a dumbass after all. Do a lot of people order it that way? I don't want to be a pain in the ass.

Say "jumbo Zman on toast" and you'll be fine; it's no trouble for them to use toast instead.

TimBone 05-07-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 12220566)
This is exactly my experience. LCs was trash the last time I went there. Joe's is incredibly consistent.

This is true. I've had great days and awful days a both LC's and Arthur Bryant. Never really had a bad day at Joes.

The first time I went to LC's, I swear it was some of the best bbq I've had in my life.

Predarat 05-07-2016 08:09 PM

Are all Joes KC locations as good as the original? Or at least close to it.

Saul Good 05-07-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 12220763)

Yes, and it amazes me. Consistency is the hardest part about BBQ, and they are amazing at it. If you ever want to feel terrible about your own skill level, go there on a busy Saturday and watch the carry out line. In an hour, you'll see 500 giant foil trays get carried out of a single location. I can't even fathom how they do it.

Mama Hip Rockets 05-07-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Yes.

Mama Hip Rockets 05-07-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 12220625)
This is true. I've had great days and awful days a both LC's and Arthur Bryant. Never really had a bad day at Joes.

The first time I went to LC's, I swear it was some of the best bbq I've had in my life.

I've never had awful days at LC's, but I've had some fairly average days. I've had great and meh at Arthur Bryant's. I've been to Joe's probably 20-30 times and it has been amazing every single time, no matter what I ordered.

Mama Hip Rockets 05-07-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 12220496)
What's the large Z-man sandwich referred to as thats not on the menu? I'm going to Joe's Friday before the Braves game and don't want to sound like a dumbass asking for a "Jumbo" Z-man. :)

I order it all the time. You won't sound like a dumbass. It's just more meat.

suzzer99 05-07-2016 09:09 PM

If you don't want to wait in line for a Z-man - try the Big D at Danny Edwards. I think it's better. :O It's all top-of-the-crown brisket, which means it's really juicy and succulent, sliced super thick. Mmmmmmmm.

Great Expectations 05-07-2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Sandwiches and sides are very similar, meats on their own are great at all locations, but the original is better. The new stores are awesome, but they just aren't as good. It might be the atmosphere, but it tastes better at the original.

I've had slightly over fatty ribs/burnt ends at the new places and only perfection at the gas station.

Predarat 05-07-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 12220774)
Yes, and it amazes me. Consistency is the hardest part about BBQ, and they are amazing at it. If you ever want to feel terrible about your own skill level, go there on a busy Saturday and watch the carry out line. In an hour, you'll see 500 giant foil trays get carried out of a single location. I can't even fathom how they do it.

Wow that is impressive and awesome!