ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Does Alex Smith deserve a extension after this season? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279424)

FRCDFED 12-12-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComoLaz (Post 10271630)
People used to say Alex Smith couldn't throw it deep as well and now he is doing it just fine.

Actually, he throws a very tight intermediate to deep ball. The WCO relies a lot on the TE in the red zone. That has been an area with injuries for us this season. Plus our WR's must be in shock that balls are actually on target and they are expected to catch them.

Kudo's to DJ, duncan, BossChief, and the others that made this a great thread!

I'm going to have to side with BossChief and DJ on this topic. Alex's history has shown that he will improve in season two. Moreso if we can get him more weapons on offense such as a WR that gets separation and can keep a solid TE on the field.

Alex should be extended this offseason. Someone else already said it, Alex just wants to feel wanted somewhere and I believe a new contract will increase his dedication (not that he needs to) to work towards elite QB play. He will not break the bank. He is extremely intelligent from what I have read about him and just needs the right pieces in place so that he can get them the ball to make plays.

Year two should be exciting! This offseason will be about getting a playmaker or two on offense and depth at all positions. I look for us to grab a FS through FA if one is available unless Commings steps up.

Tribal Warfare 12-12-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10271606)
Just because Alex has had about 5 or 6 good games out of 13 so far, doesn't mean you extend him, nope.

against shitty pass defenses to boot

philfree 12-12-2013 04:48 PM

Maybe but the seasons not over. His play in the next four games could make a difference in weather or not we should sign him long term. I'm pulling for him though.

DJ's left nut 12-12-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10271606)
Just because Alex has had about 5 or 6 good games out of 13 so far, doesn't mean you extend him, nope.

That's not why you're extending him.

You're extending him because over his last 61 NFL games he's thrown over 1100 passes and with those passes he managed a line of:

80 TDs/38 INTs
QB Rating of 87.5
Completion% of 61.5
Y/A of 6.8

And if you look at what he's done this season, he's pretty damn close to that across the board. His TD/INT is a little higher, YPG is a little higher, completion% and Y/A a little lower and QB rating is almost exactly the same. None of those figures are amazing, but they're figures a bunch of teams in this league would love to get from their QB. They're absolutely figures you can win a championship with, especially if he comes cheap enough to extend and surround him with elite supplemental talent we already have.

In other words, Alex Smith is exactly who he appears to be. The guy we have this year is his baseline. Smith's shown a history of improving the longer he's in a system, so there's reason to believe he'll be even a little bit better next season.

But that's not even your gamble. Your gamble is that he'll be no worse as he plays through his prime QB years than he has been over his last 60+ NFL games and 1000+ NFL attempts. If he's no worse than that, he's absolutely worth a reasonable contract extension. Waiting another year is presumably done out of caution; the worry that he'll suddenly crater. I don't see the argument - he's established his baseline.

The risk/reward favors extending him before his walk year, IMO. There's a far greater likelihood of him improving on this year's performance than there is a likelihood of him falling below the baseline he's set over the past 5 seasons as an NFL starting quarterback.

Halfcan 12-12-2013 06:15 PM

So much Alex love in this thread-lol

SAUTO 12-12-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10271948)

STFU.

you bitched about every one that didn't love the smith move for months, then flipped after one game.

that game was ONE WEEK after you made a thread here proclaiming the raiders game "THE BEST CHIEFS GAME EVER!!!!!!OMG!!!!!"

no one wants to hear anything from your dumbass about this

saphojunkie 12-12-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10271948)

It's not Alex love. It's Alex honesty. The fact is that having a veteran QB who will not lose the game is a valuable commodity. So much so that veteran backup QBs who might never see the field for a single snap are paid up to $4-$5 million a year.

If that QB could then go out as a starter for a full season and win you a playoff game, he is easily worth a couple more million on top of that. There just aren't that many guys who can be a successful, starting NFL qb.

It also comes down to finding that sweet spot of a contract that neither hamstrings your salary cap nor prevents the team from actively seeking to improve at the QB position.

If they give him a 5 year, $50 million contract (which they probably will), then I'll be pissed.

If it's four years for $25 million, I'll be elated.

The funny thing is that Alex Smith haters should PRAY he gets his contract extended this year. A) It starts the countdown on him getting replaced sooner, and B) Think how big of a contract he'll get NEXT offseason if we go to the playoffs and win in back to back years. HUGE contract then.

DJ's left nut 12-12-2013 06:27 PM

If you'll be pissed about 5/$50, you're not going to happy about much.

An NFL starting QB for $10 million is a steal. You think he'd take a pay cut on a long term deal?

Look at the market and look at what Smith can do. If we can get him at 5/$50, you're talking realistically about something like 4/38 - you'd be crazy to pass on that.

OnTheWarpath15 12-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 10271968)
If they give him a 5 year, $50 million contract (which they probably will), then I'll be pissed.

If it's four years for $25 million, I'll be elated.

Hell, everyone but Alex would be elated at that. Dude ain't taking a massive pay cut.

He's getting $10-12 a year, no doubt about it.

Hopefully, it's for 2 years and not 5.

Or if it is for 5, they can get out of it cheaply after 2.

My concern is that we're going to be stuck for 4-5 years, since Andy has a giant boner for Alex.

SAUTO 12-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10271983)
Hell, everyone but Alex would be elated at that. Dude ain't taking a massive pay cut.

My concern is that we're going to be stuck for 4-5 years, since Andy has a giant boner for Alex.

this.

Tribal Warfare 12-12-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

One positive about Andy he does plan for the future at QB.

Halfcan 12-12-2013 06:58 PM

The draft will be loaded with QB's but the same people that kept the Alex sucks thread going for 8 months now want to give him a big extension-lol

If he has a bad game in the playoffs- that Alex sucks thread will be back.

bevischief 12-12-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 10271702)
Actually, he throws a very tight intermediate to deep ball. The WCO relies a lot on the TE in the red zone. That has been an area with injuries for us this season. Plus our WR's must be in shock that balls are actually on target and they are expected to catch them.

Kudo's to DJ, duncan, BossChief, and the others that made this a great thread!

I'm going to have to side with BossChief and DJ on this topic. Alex's history has shown that he will improve in season two. Moreso if we can get him more weapons on offense such as a WR that gets separation and can keep a solid TE on the field.

Alex should be extended this offseason. Someone else already said it, Alex just wants to feel wanted somewhere and I believe a new contract will increase his dedication (not that he needs to) to work towards elite QB play. He will not break the bank. He is extremely intelligent from what I have read about him and just needs the right pieces in place so that he can get them the ball to make plays.

Year two should be exciting! This offseason will be about getting a playmaker or two on offense and depth at all positions. I look for us to grab a FS through FA if one is available unless Commings steps up.

Yep I agree.

whoman69 12-12-2013 08:10 PM

He still has two years left on his deal. I wouldn't touch it until next year unless we need cap relief.

BossChief 12-12-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

If it were anyone but these guys, I'd probably agree...but Andy and John have been part of teams that have found a way to move on from quarterbacks that aren't effective pretty fast.

John was part of a GB brain trust that not only drafted Rodgers, but jettisoned Brett Favre at the right time as well.

Andy loved McNabb, until he traded him.
Andy loved Kolb, until he traded him.
Andy loved Vick, until he benched him for a third round pick rookie a little over a year after giving Vick a 100 million dollar contract.

I'm not worried too much about these guys being so in love with Alex that they keep starting him Cassel style to the point he is applauded when he goes down to injury.

The only way Alex keeps his job long term, is to earn it.