ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs are releasing RT Eric Winston (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270822)

mcaj22 03-07-2013 09:41 AM

there is NO ****ing way on this planet earth they are giving Albert, Duane Brown money than moving him to RT

that would make him the highest by RT by like a landslide

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9473364)
The fact that he called Winston's release 5 days in advance is pretty solid evidence he's not full of shit.

He also called the guy who wasn't talked to during the last two days a priority while they were hammering out details with Bowe. He could be an inside source; he could be a speculative jackass.

Hammock Parties 03-07-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473370)
I don't think he had some kind of Eureka moment, I think he's always desired a strong group of tackles. .

Yeah, but what happened in Philly may have made him completely paranoid with regards to having a suitable offensive line.

Hence, this garbage.

Chief_For_Life58 03-07-2013 09:46 AM

OHHH HELLLZZ NOESS

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9473362)
Exactly. Just one day before this, Dorsey said there are 6-8 players they're considering. They have pro days to go through, FA, he said they won't solidify who they're top guy is until right before the draft. Cutting Winston is not locking them into drafting OL.

I think a lot of ppl are still in the Scooter Pissholi mindset.

I believe it's way more simple than it's being made out to be. Albert is frustrated because he wasn't signed. Nothing that has come out has indicated that Albert will be asked to move to RT. Except something by "Brett Kollmer" who missed when he said that Albert's the priority over Bowe. Which turned out to not be true.

Winston was cut to save cap space. He's a poor pass protector in a now pass happy offense and it probably had something to do with his poor decision to speak out last year when Cassel went down. FA is flush with OL and so is this year's draft class.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9473383)
Yeah, but what happened in Philly may have made him completely paranoid with regards to having a suitable offensive line.

Hence, this garbage.

It could have also made him more likely to buy a subscription to Brazzers to ease the stress, or vote Republican because of Jon Runyan, or he could just be a ****ing idiot with no clue how to identify value.

I'm all for informed speculation, but at this point we're inventing a psychological rationale we can't prove exists in order to explain something that hasn't happened.

The Franchise 03-07-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9473353)

So over a month away from the draft and its a lock who we're going to pick?

Their plan is to pay their RT as a LT and put a rookie at LT?

Direckshun 03-07-2013 09:53 AM

CAN WE PLEASE

STOP SAYING

THAT ALBERT WILL PLAY RT NEXT YEAR IF WE DRAFT A ROOKIE AT 1.1

PLEASE

gblowfish 03-07-2013 09:53 AM

Looks like the new crew has whacked just about every free agent Fat Scott brought in.

Winston must have some sort of injury or illness. Maybe a sandy vag....dunno.

siberian khatru 03-07-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473394)
It could have also made him more likely to buy a subscription to Brazzers to ease the stress

LMAO

The Franchise 03-07-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9473399)
CAN WE PLEASE

STOP SAYING

PLEASE

This.

mr. tegu 03-07-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473395)
So over a month away from the draft and its a lock who we're going to pick?

Their plan is to pay their RT as a LT and put a rookie at LT?

http://affordablehousinginstitute.or..._brilliant.jpg

tooge 03-07-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9473334)
Concern over Albert's back and guarantee of a very solid LT in the draft are opinions - not facts.

they are opionions that everyone shares. Fact: Albert had a back injury. Fact: back injuries are not good for O linement, particularly tackles. Fact: there is a very talented LT coming out in the draft that is younger than Albert and would cost less.

beach tribe 03-07-2013 09:56 AM

I'm just going to throw this out there. A few years back we talked about the safety position and how the air it out NFL of today has changed it into a marquee position. I think in the long run it may well lay to rest the the theory of the RT being a head and shoulders position of inferior need when compared to LTs. More and more teams winning championships are stacking their teams with pass rushers and the " road grader" idea of the RT may be dying. It is becoming more and more apparent that you need good pass protectors on both sides. Look at what Houston did to RTs last year. Good pass rushers on both sides is what teams strive for these days. Would it not make sense that teams would also realize that it would require good pass protectors on both sides now. Just a thought. Oh and didn't the pack spend a first on Bulaga, throw over on the right and win a championship. Not sure what pick he was. Like I said, just throwin it out there.

Mother****erJones 03-07-2013 09:57 AM

Matt miller is such a dumb ass he's talking shit about Dorsey by saying ya take another pass rusher DT. So I said hey dumbass he was in a non attacking role. We switched D schemes

Rausch 03-07-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473409)
they are opionions that everyone shares. Fact: Albert had a back injury. Fact: back injuries are not good for O linement, particularly tackles. Fact: there is a very talented LT coming out in the draft that is younger than Albert and would cost less.

Fact: Dorsey has said Albert passed the team physical and his health is NOT a concern...

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9473399)
CAN WE PLEASE

STOP SAYING

PLEASE

:clap:

tooge 03-07-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9473413)
Fact: Dorsey has said Albert passed the team physical and his health is NOT a concern...

So that he can trade him.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9473410)
I'm just going to throw this out there. A few years back we talked about the safety position and how the air it out NFL of today has changed it into a marquee position. I think in the long run it may well lay to rest the the theory of the RT being a head and shoulders position of inferior need when compared to LTs. More and more teams winning championships are stacking their teams with pass rushers and the " road grader" idea of the RT may be dying. It is becoming more and more apparent that you need good pass protectors on both sides. Look at what Houston did to RTs last year. Good pass rushers on both sides is what teams strive for these days. Would it not make sense that teams would also realize that it would require good pass protectors on both sides now. Just a thought. Oh and didn't the pack spend a first on Bulaga, throw over on the right and win a championship. Not sure what pick he was. Like I said, just throwin it out there.

Wall of text aside, this is a good point. However, a counterargument exists: given the changes in the hits that can be made on QBs and the lack of physical coverage by DBs, the importance of a tackle can actually decrease, as the QB gets the ball out quicker to receivers who are protected within the first few yards of the LOS.

DaKCMan AP 03-07-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473409)

Fact: Willie Roaf was damaged goods so NO traded him for a 3rd.

Fact: Robert Gallery was a can't-miss, extremely safe OT prospect.

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473418)

:facepalm:

patteeu 03-07-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473323)
We have spent entirely too many picks on the OL in the previous drafts to dip into that well again this year, especially at tackle.

If the Chiefs were to go after a lineman this year, they should look at a center, and do so in the mid-late rounds. Shift Hudson to guard and have the two second year players battle it out for RT and swing tackle depth.

Draft strategy should be based on current team needs, not on the kinds of picks we've used in the past at a given position. Those are sunk costs that shouldn't influence future decisions.

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473429)
Draft strategy should be based on current team needs, not on the kinds of picks we've used in the past at a given position. Those are sunk costs that shouldn't influence future decisions.

Our biggest needs are CB, WR, FS, RT, ILB, and overall depth.

RT probably being about the 4th priority...

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Good....then we can draft a RT in the 3rd round because we already have a LT. Next.

NJChiefsFan 03-07-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Is that a fact? I thought we were talking in facts here, not changing to speculation in an attempt to refute a fact that hurts the argument.

beach tribe 03-07-2013 10:12 AM

TE
Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473420)
Wall of text aside, this is a good point. However, a counterargument exists: given the changes in the hits that can be made on QBs and the lack of physical coverage by DBs, the importance of a tackle can actually decrease, as the QB gets the ball out quicker to receivers who are protected within the first few yards of the LOS.

Yet it seems the successful teams are the ones who are able to push the ball down the field. In a copy cat league protection is going to reach an all time premium.
Sorry about the wot. I get lax when I type on a phone.

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:12 AM

You can't sit there and tell me that Reid and Dorsey are going to want to protect their veteran QB's blindside with a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL. Not after what he's been through in Philly.

The release of Eric Winston only makes me believe that we have his replacement in-house or we're going to sign a RT in FA that better suits this offense.

The Franchise 03-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9472391)
Dane, are you really this stupid? He was the best right tackle in football last season.

http://i.imgur.com/n4kp6aF.jpg

The top two RTs on that list are FAs.

RunKC 03-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473444)
You can't sit there and tell me that Reid and Dorsey are going to want to protect their veteran QB's blindside with a rookie who has never played a down in the NFL. Not after what he's been through in Philly.

The release of Eric Winston only makes me believe that we have his replacement in-house or we're going to sign a RT in FA that better suits this offense.

Umm Reid never had the option of drafting the best LT in a strong LT class LMAO

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473438)
Good....then we can draft a RT in the 3rd round because we already have a LT.

CB! :cuss:

beach tribe 03-07-2013 10:15 AM

I don't know how that TE got up there. Weird.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9473448)
Umm Reid never had the option of drafting the best LT in a strong LT class LMAO

no he did not

what he did instead was traded for the best LT in the NFL until that LT got hurt before the season started and ruined the entire season with a patchwork o-line pretty much

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9473451)
I don't know how that TE got up there. Weird.

It is a need...:D

PhillyChiefFan 03-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9473444)

I agree with this. We have no idea what Reid/Dorsey have planned, but I highly doubt they will put Alex Smith into a vulnerable position given Reid's issue with the Philly OL last year. There's a reason Winston was let go.

I'm trying to look at it this way:

Albert was tagged and Winston was cut.

Right now, everything else is speculation.

tooge 03-07-2013 10:21 AM

All I'm saying is the same thing that Dorsey said. They have the flexibility to go in alot of directions. I'd love for them to work out a long term deal for Albert, move Stevenson to RT, and use the number one on Geno.

Having said that, I'd also be fine with Trading Albert for a mid first, drafting the best LT, and taking a QB in the middle of the first.

I'd also be fine with trading Albert for a first, picking up Andre Smith in FA, and using our two firsts for a QB and CB.

Point is, there are lots of options, none of which involve drafting a RT in the top 3 rounds.

gblowfish 03-07-2013 10:21 AM

Bring Trezelle Jenkins in for another look!

patteeu 03-07-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9473436)
Our biggest needs are CB, WR, FS, RT, ILB, and overall depth.

RT probably being about the 4th priority...

We are likely to have a pretty big need on the defensive line too.

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9473463)

Point is, there are lots of options, none of which involve drafting a RT in the top 3 rounds.

Yup.

And I think it's clear Reid wants to throw the ball more. Winston's weakness was pass blocking. They probably want a better pass blocker there...

Rausch 03-07-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473469)
We are likely to have a pretty big need on the defensive line too.

I think we have the players there to be fine. I don't think losing Dorsey is all that big a deal...

buddha 03-07-2013 10:34 AM

Winston was a big disappointment last year. We can do better...a lot better.

DumbHillbillies 03-07-2013 10:37 AM

Wow, just getting this news. I'm shocked

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

While understood, it also hasn't presented itself as a need, especially given all of the young OL that haven't disproven themselves yet.

patteeu 03-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9473472)
I think we have the players there to be fine. I don't think losing Dorsey is all that big a deal...

To the extent that losing him isn't that big of a deal, it's because he hasn't been that great of a player. We can agree to disagree on whether or not it's a need. We can probably get by without a new frontline starter there, but I think it will be a weakness, not fine.

patteeu 03-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9473502)
While understood, it also hasn't presented itself as a need, especially given all of the young OL that haven't disproven themselves yet.

That's a fair opinion. I'd love to see those young OL pan out.

TEX 03-07-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha (Post 9473494)
Winston was a big disappointment last year. We can do better...a lot better.

I think him speaking out against the fans for cheering Cassel's injury affected his play. He played as advertised. A BEAST of a run-blocker and a very average pass blocker at best. He's going back to the Texans and their pure zone blcoking scheme.

tooge 03-07-2013 12:42 PM

get the paper get the paper

Chiefnj2 03-07-2013 12:42 PM

People have such short memories.

Winston was nowhere near as bad as people are making it out. Bad was the 4-5 years prior to Winston.

Frosty 03-07-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9473364)
The fact that he called Winston's release 5 days in advance is pretty solid evidence he's not full of shit.

There has been speculation for a while now that the Chiefs would move Albert to RT and draft a LT at 1.1. It doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out that Winston was the odd man out in that situation.

Quote:

He would have to pass a physical for a trade to go through. It wouldn't happen if he had a chronic back injury.

Also, I just don't see how the Chiefs can trade Albert, especially for a 1st round pick. There are at least four first round quality OTs in the draft and a strong FA class for OTs. I don't see why anyone would give up a high pick and then pay a big contract when they can just draft someone or sign one of the FA tackles.

I really think they will go with a current player or FA at RT and sign a guard in FA. I think it is possible that if they don't feel they are making headway with Albert and his contract that they will go after a FA and then trade Albert for whatever they can get (3rd round probably) or just pull the tag if they get no takers (most probable).

I think drafting a LT at 1.1 is probably pretty far down their wishlist. The whole draft kind of depends on Albert's long term contract.

Mav 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

question. i keep seeing wr as a need. is baldwin that bad?

Halfcan 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

Winston should have kept his big mouth shut- he embarrassed the Chiefs.

Halfcan 03-07-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9473805)

baldwin?/ never heard of hm-lol

ILChief 03-07-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

He's worse

gblowfish 03-07-2013 12:49 PM

I hope when he's spooning his QB he'll still go "oooooh.....Matt....Matt!!!"
Except it'll be Schaub instead of Casshole.

crazycoffey 03-07-2013 12:50 PM

Maybe he asked to be released

CoMoChief 03-07-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9473791)
I think him speaking out against the fans for cheering Cassel's injury affected his play. He played as advertised. A BEAST of a run-blocker and a very average pass blocker at best. He's going back to the Texans and their pure zone blcoking scheme.

Maybe the way he tied his shoes that morning affected his play as well?

Ya know, since we're going to talk about stupid shit and all...

tooge 03-07-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9473808)
Winston should have kept his big mouth shut- he embarrassed the Chiefs.

Lips. You mean his big lips.

Frosty 03-07-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

A deep threat WR was a need until they traded for Alex Smith. Now a TE is a greater need.

CoMoChief 03-07-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

yes

Friggles 03-07-2013 12:55 PM

Just a quick question. Has anyone heard a rumor about the Chiefs being intersted in keeping Glen Dorsey? Saw some chatter about it among fans of the Bears. They were disappointed in the fact we were planning on keeping him. I can't find anything about it. Thanks!

patteeu 03-07-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9473795)
People have such short memories.

Winston was nowhere near as bad as people are making it out. Bad was the 4-5 years prior to Winston.

That's true, but he was nowhere near as good as he was advertised to be. That plus his fan disrespect is enough for me to not shed a tear.

Strongside 03-07-2013 12:56 PM

Twist of Fate:

Winston signs with Arizona. Cassel follows. Cassel stinks it up, Winston whiffs on a block, Cassel is destroyed, crowd cheers, Winston's head explodes.

CoMoChief 03-07-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9473824)
A deep threat WR was a need until they traded for Alex Smith. Now a TE is a greater need.

maybe baldwin can put on 10-20lbs or so and become a pass catching TE ?

patteeu 03-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9473798)
There has been speculation for a while now that the Chiefs would move Albert to RT and draft a LT at 1.1. It doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out that Winston was the odd man out in that situation.

None of that speculation has really come from the Chiefs though and to the extent it has (Dorsey saying he'd play the 5 best guys), it could just as easily have meant a move to guard for Winston.

CoMoChief 03-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9473835)
Twist of Fate:

Winston signs with Arizona. Cassel follows. Cassel stinks it up, Winston whiffs on a block, Cassel is destroyed, crowd cheers, Winston's head explodes.

ROFL

Mav 03-07-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9473839)
maybe baldwin can put on 10-20lbs or so and become a pass catching TE ?

Kelce the tight end from Cincinnati, would be a great get in the 3rd round.

FUnny thing though. Alex Smiths number one target this last season?

Michael Crabtree. Vernon got fazed out pretty bad by both him, and kaep until the playoffs.

CoMoChief 03-07-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473831)
That's true, but he was nowhere near as good as he was advertised to be. That plus his fan disrespect is enough for me to not shed a tear.

He was never advertised as a good pass blocking RT

unlurking 03-07-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9473824)

That's what I thought as well, although a deep threat would be nice for the QB we draft 1.1 (still hoping).

Pasta Little Brioni 03-07-2013 01:04 PM

Well that's a kick in the balls. Contrary to what people that are butthurt about his comments will say, he was pretty good last year.

nychief 03-07-2013 01:06 PM

sounds like he is injured. I dont think Reid and Dorsey give a shit about his comments.... and his contract was cheap.

mcaj22 03-07-2013 01:06 PM

this Baldwin to convert to a TE stuff is hilarious

even as a pass catching TE he would still be listed as a TE on the depth chart, and you always want your TEs to be able to block, play special teams, etc and he cant do ANY of that, never probably learned any of that his entire football career and has no fundamentals of that type of stuff. He's purely a WR with the mindset of a WR, run, jump, route tree, catch a 1000 balls in practice etc. You asking him to essentially start running drills with the offensive lineman, for at least one if not both practices.

Even Gronk and Hernandez on the Pats still know how to line up on the LOS and know how to run block. You magically think Jon Baldwin is going to be able to block some big huge DE or fast OLBer the guy cant even beat the strength of a 5'9 CB jamming him at the line

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-07-2013 01:07 PM

Danny Parkins ‏@DannyParkins

Winston thinks his release indicates the #Chiefs are going to go with a tackle at the top of the draft.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-07-2013 01:09 PM

If they let him go just to draft Jekyll, it'd be one of the biggest fails in team draft history

Bootlegged 03-07-2013 01:10 PM

What does anyone see on this tape that makes EITHER of these a top 5 pick????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4v1DAyNxvpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joeckel and S. Floyd.

Frosty 03-07-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9473842)
None of that speculation has really come from the Chiefs though and to the extent it has (Dorsey saying he'd play the 5 best guys), it could just as easily have meant a move to guard for Winston.

That's great and all but we were talking about some dufus on NFLN and his "accurate" predictions. Those guys are so hellbent on the Chiefs taking a LT that they keep getting more outlandish with their predictions.

Frosty 03-07-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9473869)
Danny Parkins ‏@DannyParkins

Winston thinks his release indicates the #Chiefs are going to go with a tackle at the top of the draft.

RTs are intentionally taken at #1 all of the time.

:doh!:

silver5liter 03-07-2013 01:12 PM

I just cant see that. Its too easy. Why would they release Winston now and show everyone what they are going to do?

ToxSocks 03-07-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9473889)
I just cant see that. Its too easy. Why would they release Winston now and show everyone what they are going to do?

It would be a sad, sad day if we find out that the Chiefs released Winston for the sole purpose of creating a hole for Joeckel to fill.

"No place for Joeckel to play? We'll make one!"

Frosty 03-07-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9473889)

Because he's injured and/or doesn't fit the offense and they want the extra cap space?

gblowfish 03-07-2013 01:19 PM

I know why they cut him.
One: he's the union rep. The Clarks hate unions.

Two: It's hard to pass block with a retroverted uterus. Makes it hard to get out of your stance quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroverted_uterus

-King- 03-07-2013 01:20 PM

I'm just going to give up predicting what this regime is going to do. I just don't understand what they're doing.