ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Making Jerky / Everything BBQ Tips Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276693)

ptlyon 05-06-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 14253966)
Chase the Canadians and Snows because goose breast jerky is the best jerky IMO.

Even makes Prairie chickens edible

vailpass 05-06-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14254121)
:toast:

I'll PM you my address for a sample....

Getting ready to put them in the dehydrator now. I"ll let you know what the boys think after they try it.

tooge 05-06-2019 10:49 AM

I bought a cheap dehydrator from Ronco (aka, the pocket fisherman and Showtime rotisserie Co) probably 20 years ago. The thing is money. Has 6 trays, you rotate them about every 12 hours, and you have jerkey in a day and it's amazing. I slice my deer meat, usually from the roasts, against the grain and marinate for 2 days in the following.
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worchestershire
1 cup apple juice
1 table spoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons black pepper
red pepper flakes. Amount based on the heat you want

Fire Me Boy! 05-06-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14254863)
I bought a cheap dehydrator from Ronco (aka, the pocket fisherman and Showtime rotisserie Co) probably 20 years ago. The thing is money. Has 6 trays, you rotate them about every 12 hours, and you have jerkey in a day and it's amazing. I slice my deer meat, usually from the roasts, against the grain and marinate for 2 days in the following.

1 cup soy sauce

1 cup worchestershire

1 cup apple juice

I really liked using my smoker for it. The smoke flavor was so much better than liquid.

GloryDayz 05-06-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14254863)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worchestershire
1 cup apple juice

Does yours have a heating element? The el-cheapo we have does, a small one, and we usually get ours done in 5-6 hours.

Oh, and I get unsalted almonds (because I hate heavy-salt like you get all too often, put the unsalted almonds in a saltwater bath for a couple of minutes, the into the dehydrator. The perfect lightly salted almonds for a day at the rink..

GloryDayz 05-06-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14255136)
I really liked using my smoker for it. The smoke flavor was so much better than liquid.

That too is on my to-do list now that it's summer...

tooge 05-06-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 14255147)
Does yours have a heating element? The el-cheapo we have does, a small one, and we usually get ours done in 5-6 hours.

Oh, and I get unsalted almonds (because I hate heavy-salt like you get all too often, put the unsalted almonds in a saltwater bath for a couple of minutes, the into the dehydrator. The perfect lightly salted almonds for a day at the rink..

Yeah it has a rounded heating element at the bottom under the trays. I like smoked jerkey too, but the ease of putting the meat on the electric dehydrator, in my kitchen or garage, allows me to make jerkey even when it's really cold outside. I usually make it right after rifle season, so it's generally not great outdoor smoking weather.

GloryDayz 05-06-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14255178)
Yeah it has a rounded heating element at the bottom under the trays. I like smoked jerkey too, but the ease of putting the meat on the electric dehydrator, in my kitchen or garage, allows me to make jerkey even when it's really cold outside. I usually make it right after rifle season, so it's generally not great outdoor smoking weather.

Totally agree.

Bwana 05-06-2019 04:39 PM

Well it only took 6 years, but it looks like the SOB finally took off. LMAO

RedRaider56 05-07-2019 09:41 AM

Just bought a Big Green Egg, so I may have to figure out how to make some jerky in it

BIG_DADDY 05-07-2019 10:09 AM

12 years ago I lived in this killer house that was half glass with a view. I lived there for an awesome price. Problem was it didn't have heating so for two winters I used the stove and made jerky endlessly. I kind of burned out on it. I have a Traeger and I think will will pick this up again this year. Great thread.

fan4ever 05-07-2019 10:44 AM

I have a low salt, low sugar, low cal recipe that I've used for a long time now that people love. I have to watch my blood pressure/weight but love jerky so I've played with this recipe over the years.

I can't use Worcestershire or Soy Sauce...way to salty, even the low salt versions.

But I like the tangy that Worcestershire brings...so this is what I do:

I buy London Broil.

I use Trader Joe's No-Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing and marinade layer by layer in a big bowl overnight. The meat absorbs most of the vinaigrette despite the fact I add A LOT. This replaces the Soy/Worcestershire portion of the recipe.

Then the "sprinkle on" powder of the recipe.

2 Parts Ground Ginger
2 Parts Garlic Powder
0.5 Part Cayenne Powder
1 Part Seasoned Salt
2 Parts Splenda
1 Part Onion Powder
2 Parts Mesquite Powder

Mix all these powders together and sprinkle generously over the meat once it's on the dehydrator tray.

Then I spray mesquite liquid smoke over the powdered meat to the point that the powder is now wet with the liquid smoke.

This recipe HAS to be refrigerated if you make a big batch. Salt helps keep jerky from spoiling and this recipe has very little.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

fan4ever 05-07-2019 10:46 AM

...Oh, and I use an "Excaliber" dehydrator...9 big shelves...does a ton of jerky in about 7 - 8 hours.

Fire Me Boy! 05-07-2019 01:16 PM

Thinking about taking another stab with eye of round. Anyone ever gone with the grain with this cut? I prefer a chewy jerky.

fan4ever 05-07-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 14256856)
Thinking about taking another stab with eye of round. Anyone ever gone with the grain with this cut? I prefer a chewy jerky.

Is eye of round like bottom round or top round?