ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Will Smith to star in Tarantinos next "Django Unchained" ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244861)

DaneMcCloud 01-05-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9283187)
Yea, good point Mic. Im still going back and forth on it. On one hand QT wants to just make a fun spaghetti western good time. Which is fine.......But on the other hand he makes it dark and gritty setting it in a controversial, ugly time period. I honestly did think he overused the N word.....but i guess hes trying to push buttons and remain true to the time period. Maybe he was deliberately trying to make the audience feel uncomfortable? It definitely made me squirm a few times.

It should always make you squirm and be uncomfortable.

That's the point.

Sorter 01-05-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9284163)
I don't think he overused it one bit. I can't think of a time that it was used and it wasn't appropriate to the era and the context of the story.

I liked how he set up the time/era by showing how surprised and appalled white folk were at seeing a black man on horseback.

This.

bowener 01-05-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9284171)

That's the point.

This.

cdcox 01-05-2013 02:32 AM

The most striking aspect of the movie for me was that the violence against the "bad guys" was over the top with fountains of blood squirting everywhere. The violence against the slaves was always off camera or implied without showing it. The contrast served to highlight the realism of the latter in a very effective and disturbing way. I've never felt more uncomfortable hearing the N-word so much as in this movie.

I thought the movie handled an important subject in a film that was simultaneously respectful and entertaining.

Sorter 01-05-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9284224)
The most striking aspect of the movie for me was that the violence against the "bad guys" was over the top with fountains of blood squirting everywhere. The violence against the slaves was always off camera or implied without showing it. The contrast served to highlight the realism of the latter in a very effective and disturbing way. I've never felt more uncomfortable hearing the N-word so much as in this movie.

I thought the movie handled an important subject in a film that was simultaneously respectful and entertaining.

To be antagonistic, I have no idea what one of those bullets does to a human being so I can't truly hate on the blood squirting.

nstygma 01-05-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9284234)
To be antagonistic, I have no idea what one of those bullets does to a human being so I can't truly hate on the blood squirting.

the scene where he took out the guy hightailing it across that field was impressive. the entry and exit wound was at the correct angle. i like that attention to detail

nstygma 01-05-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9284171)

That's the point.

to be honest i wasn't bothered by the language one bit. it fit perfectly with the story and didn't seem over the top or excessive at all. in fact, qt's own language in pulp fiction was more uncomfortable for me than this entire movie.

listopencil 01-05-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9284247)
to be honest i wasn't bothered by the language one bit. it fit perfectly with the story and didn't seem over the top or excessive at all. in fact, qt's own language in pulp fiction was more uncomfortable for me than this entire movie.

Yeah, the same thought occurred to me. QT as a scrawny white guy with a high pitched voice throwing the "N" word around in a whiny way didn't really fit for me in Pulp Fiction. He didn't have the acting ability to pull it off.

Chiefspants 01-05-2013 09:25 PM

Saw it today, absolutely crazy, fun and thought provoking.

Deberg_1990 01-06-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9284163)

I liked how he set up the time/era by showing how surprised and appalled white folk were at seeing a black man on horseback.

Heh yea...even more interesting was the Stephen(Samual L. Jackson's) character reaction to that.

I got a kick out of when Django got to pick out his own outfit.......then picks out the loudest outfit in the store.

-King- 01-06-2013 03:12 PM

I CAN'T SEE ****ING SHIT OUT OF THIS MASK!

Marco Polo 01-06-2013 03:19 PM

Jamie Foxx was perfect for that role. I can't imagine Will Smith having done that. Leo was pretty good too. However, Samuel L Jackson made it for me. He kept cracking me up.

-King- 01-06-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9283187)
Yea, good point Mic. Im still going back and forth on it. On one hand QT wants to just make a fun spaghetti western good time. Which is fine.......But on the other hand he makes it dark and gritty setting it in a controversial, ugly time period. I honestly did think he overused the N word.....but i guess hes trying to push buttons and remain true to the time period. Maybe he was deliberately trying to make the audience feel uncomfortable? It definitely made me squirm a few times.

It wasn't overused. Considering the time period, it might have been underused.

MoreLemonPledge 01-06-2013 10:02 PM

Absolutely loved the movie. If Tarantino was trying to create a commentary on white guilt, he did a damn good job of it. I almost turned around and apologized to the black people sitting behind me after the movie.

bowener 01-06-2013 10:10 PM

I still don't really care for the mask scene in this film. Don't get me wrong, it was funny, but it was just out of place to me. Outside of this film, that scene is funny, but within the film it wasn't needed at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9247034)

Your avatar gives me an erection.