ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

Sure-Oz 10-23-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6198247)
The leading vote getter so far is jackstackBBQ. You can order their ribs, meat etc online at http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

You have to get you some cheesy corn from there too.

I think i dont like jackstack as much as OK Joes, (but it is great great bbq) but i think im mainly burned out cause my parents always mass order it every other weekend for dinner and i rarely have ok joes. I guess thats not a bad thing cause i still eat it all and love it

Reaper16 10-23-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6198106)
Don't be a BBQ bigot.

Carolina sauce has it's place and can be very effective. In fact, I find that the true old style Carolina sauce is a dying breed in terms of culinary style. That the sweet KC style has dominated the market over the past 20 years is not a ringing endorsement of that particular brand of sauce, just that the general masses are more inclined to gravitate towards a sweeter sauce than a tart, vinegary type of sauce.

Personally, I find that the acceptance of the KC style sauce as "the BBQ sauce" in terms of the general consensus is, perhaps, leading to the eventual downfall of what was the greatest and initially accepted BBQ in the world. (And yes, I'm including Jamaican Jerk, Thai, Mongolian, etc. - KC BBQ put BBQ on the map in terms of cuisine, acceptable cuisine to even the gourmet chefs. It allowed the world wide style of "pit" cooking to be accepted as a singular method. They had to account for BBQ as a major influence in terms of culinary and consumer demand and style.)

To discount a particular style of BBQ in terms of it's regional preference is akin to discounting BBQ as an acceptable method for preparing meat in general.

I implore you to try various styles of American BBQ to fully appreciate and enjoy what the craft of open flame cooking provides.

(And I guarantee that the Carolina style will enhance your appreciation of grilled fish all the more.)

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the assertion that Jerk spice cooking and Mongolian BBQ are, in fact, actual styles of barbecue.

Demonpenz 10-23-2009 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SPIN SPIN...SPIN THE BLACKISH CIRCLE

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-23-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6198173)
The acceptance of vinegar/pepper and mustard sauces would be more acceptable if it didn't taste like shit.

:p

This. And it has nothing to do with being a "BBQ Bigot"; I've tried the style and I simply do not want.

PunkinDrublic 10-23-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6198106)
Don't be a BBQ bigot.

Carolina sauce has it's place and can be very effective. In fact, I find that the true old style Carolina sauce is a dying breed in terms of culinary style. That the sweet KC style has dominated the market over the past 20 years is not a ringing endorsement of that particular brand of sauce, just that the general masses are more inclined to gravitate towards a sweeter sauce than a tart, vinegary type of sauce.

Personally, I find that the acceptance of the KC style sauce as "the BBQ sauce" in terms of the general consensus is, perhaps, leading to the eventual downfall of what was the greatest and initially accepted BBQ in the world. (And yes, I'm including Jamaican Jerk, Thai, Mongolian, etc. - KC BBQ put BBQ on the map in terms of cuisine, acceptable cuisine to even the gourmet chefs. It allowed the world wide style of "pit" cooking to be accepted as a singular method. They had to account for BBQ as a major influence in terms of culinary and consumer demand and style.)

To discount a particular style of BBQ in terms of it's regional preference is akin to discounting BBQ as an acceptable method for preparing meat in general.

I implore you to try various styles of American BBQ to fully appreciate and enjoy what the craft of open flame cooking provides.

(And I guarantee that the Carolina style will enhance your appreciation of grilled fish all the more.)

I'm more of a BBQ supremacist in that I believe all other BBQ regions are inferior in sauce and methods to KC. I do enjoy BBQ in other regions of the country including here in Texas but they all fall short compared to KC

wildcat09 10-23-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 6199308)
I'm more of a BBQ supremacist in that I believe all other BBQ regions are inferior in sauce and methods to KC. I do enjoy BBQ in other regions of the country including here in Texas but they all fall short compared to KC

well played, good sir.......THIS

Saccopoo 10-23-2009 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6198776)
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the assertion that Jerk spice cooking and Mongolian BBQ are, in fact, actual styles of barbecue.

I would categorize Jamaican Jerk style cooking as BBQ. They use a wet rub, and cook the chicken and pork pit style. Pretty much the same methodology used in most traditional BBQ cooking here in the states.

And if this ain't BBQ'ing, I don't know what is:

Them Mongols sure know how to grill up a marmot.

Reaper16 10-23-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6199567)
I would categorize Jamaican Jerk style cooking as BBQ. They use a wet rub, and cook the chicken and pork pit style. Pretty much the same methodology used in most traditional BBQ cooking here in the states.

If the jerk spice rubbed meat is cooked with indirect heat, which I didn't think that it was for some reason, then I was wrong.

LOCOChief 10-23-2009 04:49 PM

I moved away from KC 7 years ago and MAN I MISS Zarda, Winslows and LC's. the wife and I go to Sonnys Real Pit here on Fridays for $10.99 baby backs, corn sweet potato ans slaw and it's not bad at all.

Saccopoo 10-23-2009 04:52 PM

Oh, and I do suggest you try some Carolina Style BBQ sauce on chicken or a shredded pork shoulder. I personally love it on grilled mako shark steaks. Here's my super secret recipe for Carolina BBQ sauce if you want to give it a whirl. I've made it a touch sweeter than is typical. Cut down/remove the hot sauce or cayenne if you like a little less heat to your sauce:

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce

1 c. prepared yellow mustard
¼ c. granulated sugar
¼ c. molasses
¼ c. honey
½ c. cider vinegar
1 T. white vinegar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
¼ c. light lager beer
1 T. vegetable oil
½ T. key lime juice
¼ t. hot sauce
¼ t. ground thyme
¼ t. white pepper
¼ t. fine ground black pepper
pinch of ground cayenne pepper

Mix and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-23-2009 06:37 PM

I never considered BBQ a "favorite food" until I moved to KC. If that doesn't say it all, nothing else will.

Adept Havelock 10-23-2009 06:46 PM

Snead's BBQ is still my favorite. Best Burnt Ends I've ever eaten, and the sauce isn't sweet.

Reaper16 10-23-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6199810)
Snead's BBQ is still my favorite. Best Burnt Ends I've ever eaten, and the sauce isn't sweet.

I really wish Snead's wasn't in the Belton area. I could go for some of their "brownies" right now.

BryanBusby 10-23-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6199810)

I like me some Snead's. Oden's BBQ is also great and I found another shop further down 58 into Belton called Micky B's BBQ which has some good pulled pork.

Been awhile since I've gone, but Smoken BBQ out in Lone Jack was nice. With Sneads, Odens, Micky B's and Jack Stacks within 15 minutes from me I'm surprised I'm not overweight.

BigRedChief 12-08-2009 09:04 AM

Orange County Chopper BBQ opens in Village West

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1616762.html

New barbecue restaurant combines meals with motorcycles

By JOYCE SMITH
The Kansas City Star
To take on Kansas City barbecue — and succeed — you’d better be prepared.

Count the new Backfire BBQ Featuring Orange County Choppers — three years in development — as well-prepared. The new restaurant and retail shop kicked off with a grand opening Monday in the Legends at Village West in Kansas City, Kan.

So chow down and let the barbecue debate begin.

“Backfire BBQ is bikes, burgers and barbecue. And it is a phenomenal collection of antique cars, antique jukeboxes, phenomenal neon signs,” said Steve Schussler, creator of Backfire BBQ as well as T-Rex Cafe, also in the Legends, and Rainforest Cafe, among other concepts.
“We have some of the most unusual decor that you will see in Kansas City, and what you don’t see, which is behind the scenes, is one of the world’s largest smokers.”

Backfire BBQ has gone full throttle, developing a menu under the culinary direction of Chicago’s Levy Restaurants, which oversees such award-winning restaurants as Spiaggia and Bistro 110 in that city.

“We spent a whole year testing food in their laboratories. So it is more about the food than the decor,” Schussler said. “You can’t think that your taste buds are going to be overwhelmed by the decor.”

The 8,300 square-foot operation at 1855 Village West Parkway (just 20 yards from T-Rex) seats 300 people amid custom-built choppers by Orange County Choppers, an open flame “hog pit,” 14 plasma televisions and artwork. It will have live music Thursday through Saturday nights.
Everything but the chocolate cake is made in-house, including the pickles, salad dressings, barbecue sauces, doughnuts (made to order and tossed tableside in cinnamon and sugar), apple cobbler and fried green tomatoes.
Backfire BBQ uses organic and local foods when possible.

Other menu items include chipotle deviled eggs, spiced barbecue shrimp, chili, a variety of burgers, meatloaf, salads, steak, catfish, and, of course, barbecue — ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and chicken — all cranked up on a smoker with a 1,400-pound capacity.

There’s even a s’mores kit that allows customers to make the marshmallow and chocolate treat at the restaurant or at home.On Monday, Paul Teutul Sr., chief executive officer of Orange County Choppers, and his two sons were at the grand opening. The stars of the television series “American Chopper” plan to stop several times a year.
Schussler chose the barbecue and bikes combination because it reminds him of the freedom of the open road.

“We’re in a barbecue town, and we said to ourselves, ‘OK, dare we open up barbecue in a barbecue town?’ ” he said. “The only way that you can do barbecue in a barbecue town — and a town that’s done barbecue well — is to be better. And we are so confident, not cocky confident, mind you, but we are so confident in our barbecue that I dare anybody to come in and not have our brisket melt in your mouth, our ribs fall off the bone.”