ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers WWDC 2010 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=229194)

irishjayhawk 06-08-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6807720)
Well I stand corrected. Death to AT&T.........

Don't get me wrong, I do see their logic and I think ultimately most people will save money.

AustinChief 06-08-2010 05:30 PM

[quote=irishjayhawk;6807731]
Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6807724)

What he said was not wrong at all.

He pointed out that they don't ship a product with a feature that doesn't have software to use it. Moreover, it's implied that the phone manufacturer or the OS maker (in Apple's case it is both, but here it's HTC & Google) would supply such software. What he wrote isn't technically wrong. Neither HTC nor Google has written software to take advantage of the front facing camera.

It's also interesting that you'd say "who cares if it's there" when you have adamantly told everyone that no flash on the iTouch Senior Citizen Edition is killer even though they have apps that make up for it. Again, "who cares if it's there"....

MY GOD YOU ARE BEING DENSE.

He said there was no software to use it... HE WAS ****ING WRONG.. it SHIPPED with preloaded software AND there are other ones available for download...

HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WHO MAKES IT... YOU ARE MAKING THAT PART UP... IT IS NOT "IMPLIED", WHY THE **** WOULD IT BE

IT ISN'T JUST TECHNICALLY WRONG... IT IS FLAT OUT WRONG.

..and the iPad argument is not inconsistent at all.. I don't want to download HUNDREDS of apps to "make up for" a lack of flash when I could... hmmm.. just use flash... downloading one app for video calls is a bit different then a new app for each piece of web content I want.

Silock 06-08-2010 05:31 PM

lol @ hundreds of apps

irishjayhawk 06-08-2010 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=AustinChief;6807750]
Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6807731)

MY GOD YOU ARE BEING DENSE.

He said there was no software to use it... HE WAS ****ING WRONG.. it SHIPPED with preloaded software AND there are other ones available for download...

HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WHO MAKES IT... YOU ARE MAKING THAT PART UP... IT IS NOT "IMPLIED", WHY THE **** WOULD IT BE

IT ISN'T JUST TECHNICALLY WRONG... IT IS FLAT OUT WRONG.

I though it was strongly implied with the key sentence "Apple doesn't do stuff like that".

But whatevers.

Quote:

..and the iTouch Senior Citizen Edition argument is not inconsistent at all.. I don't want to download HUNDREDS of apps to "make up for" a lack of flash when I could... hmmm.. just use flash... downloading one app for video calls is a bit different then a new app for each piece of web content I want.
"who cares if it's there"

AustinChief 06-08-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6807752)
lol @ hundreds of apps

for me it gets close to that number.. for 90% of users it isn't.. but it's still annoying.

Silock 06-08-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6807758)
for me it gets close to that number.. for 90% of users it isn't.. but it's still annoying.

I'm still highly skeptical.

AustinChief 06-08-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6807755)

I though it was strongly implied with the key sentence "Apple doesn't do stuff like that".

But whatevers.

It isn't implied at all by that statement. Wow. That simply says Apple wouldn't ship hardware without there being available software for it to be used... well duh, neither did HTC or Google.

AustinChief 06-08-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6807761)
I'm still highly skeptical.

You ever use sites like surf the channel and other video aggregators? You get sent ALL OVER THE MAP for video.. I use them daily... over the course of a year I easily hit 100+ different video sites.. especially as they get shut down and pop up in some new incarnation.

irishjayhawk 06-08-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 6805836)
Don't worry about that. You can still purchase things from the app store and keep them updated like you normally do.
My 3GS is jailbroken with 3.1.3 firmware.
And is it worth it? Uh yes

Out of curiosity, did you jailbreak it while on ATT or jailbreak it to go with another carrier?

Shag 06-08-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6807949)
Out of curiosity, did you jailbreak it while on ATT or jailbreak it to go with another carrier?

Can't speak for QS, but I have a jailbroken 3G on AT&T. I'd say go ahead a JB - there's really no reason not to try it, as you can go back to the official firmware at any time...

irishjayhawk 06-08-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6808014)
Can't speak for QS, but I have a jailbroken 3G on AT&T. I'd say go ahead a JB - there's really no reason not to try it, as you can go back to the official firmware at any time...

Well, I'm less concerned about JB than the performance on a non-ATT network.

If I could just find a British person to buy and ship me an iPhone 4 from T-Mobile.

SpankyMcSpank 06-09-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6807492)
Not to torpedo your post, but in a word, "No."

AirVideo works over 3g. My dad connects to our computer all the time on his 3GS to watch movies over 3G.

Is watching a movie on an iPhone ideal? No, but it's better than NOT.

Plus, I could take an iPhone to the gym to watch a movie while I do cardio. Gym has no wifi, no hotspots. But it would get reception. Again, this wouldn't be possible with the current bandwidth caps.

actually even with unlimited bandwidth it still would be hard for more than a couple to do this simultaniously at the gym without killing performance for everyone. Think of it...the 2-10Mb/s that 3G+ provides is shared by everyone in the tower. If you're the only one then great you get XMb/s But if 2+ people are all watching vids then that BW is split among them. If people are watching movies that will consume alot of bandwith for a long time. Starving the performance for everyone else. It's not just the amount of data used but also how long you watch for. With enough smart phones, every network will have to do it. And there's really no bones about it.

Silock 06-09-2010 03:01 AM

Irrelevant, really. AT&Ts network issues are just another issue.

Silock 06-09-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 6807779)
You ever use sites like surf the channel and other video aggregators? You get sent ALL OVER THE MAP for video.. I use them daily... over the course of a year I easily hit 100+ different video sites.. especially as they get shut down and pop up in some new incarnation.

Or, they could just make one app that scrapes the video from all of those sites.

AustinChief 06-09-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6808837)
Or, they could just make one app that scrapes the video from all of those sites.

When someone makes that app.. let me know.... THAT would be the ultimate solution... even if it meant buying an i-pad/i-phone.. I would go for it! (well.. assuming I could use it on a non-ATT network...) :D

The problem is that no one will ever make an app like that because most of the video is copyrighted and not supposed to be online anyway... or at least not available at MY leisure.

Also, it would be one HELL of an app to write... it would have to somehow grab the video, transcode it and then deliver it... a pretty daunting task to say the least .. when you are dealing with 100s of sites each with its own Flash implementation.