ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Luke Kuechly (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257773)

Sorter 04-24-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8564281)
The 2010 draft has become overrated in the minds of Chiefs fans.

McCluster over Cody is an unforgivable abortion of a pick. Trading up for Moeaki when you could've had Graham or Hernandez was a mistake. Arenas was a major reach and I'm not impressed by getting a kick returner and nickle corner from a 2nd round pick.

Berry was a good pick...it was also a no-brainer. Asomoah was also a good pick.

Pioli has had 1 good draft in Kansas City. I still think he's an overrated hack that's living on a reputation built by Belichick and playmakers brought in by Herm.

We shall see. I'm starting to get a really awful feeling that he actually will draft Kuechly and the reason he didn't bring him in for a visit was it was all part of this cloak and dagger bullshit that he loves to pull.

Well the good news is that you and I could be united in our fury at that point...

Don't think he's an overrated hack. Yes, he ****ed up in taking Dex in the 2nd. However, Moeaki has the potential to be better than Hernandez. Not as elusive or versatile, but can block and is great when he doesn't have a torn ACL. Arenas is a top 5 PR and could use some blocking. Additionally, he is solid in the nickel. Whether you care to acknowledge it or not, this is a passing league and most defenses are in their nickle or dime. So if you look at Pioli's drafts with his scouts + Emery, you have

Berry-Excellent
Dex-Probably a bust, but can be effective occasionally
Arenas- Solid nickel/great PR
Asamoah-Starter RG
Moeaki-Starter TE, high ceiling
Lewis-Starter FS, good centerfielder
Sheffield- sit. pass rusher, probably a bust due to injury
Baldwin- Solid pick drafted at position of need, flashed last year
Hudson- AA, solid pick, starter this year at C
Houston- Starter, great end to rookie season
Bailey- Situational pass rusher(2-3 downs), could be a starter
Brown- Hasn't flashed, mediocre on special teams
Stanzi- Nobody knows
Miller- Depth, meh
Powe- high ceiling, flashed in the NE game, drafted at PON
Bannon- Meh, 7th rd pick

BossChief 04-24-2012 10:44 PM

We signed Belcher mere days after we got Emery in 09, too.

Mecca 04-24-2012 10:52 PM

Kuechly is going to be attached to us because his attitude etc etc speak Patriot way, Pioli and all that. Oddly his athletic numbers are right there with Mayo's his draft year...

Sorter 04-24-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8564323)
We signed Belcher mere days after we got Emery in 09, too.

Yup. I'll admit, the lack of Emery has me worried as well. The guy has already looked good in CHI in getting Marshall e Bush. He does have to adapt to his defensive draft philosophy, but I think he is a solid enough evaluator that it will be fine.

Mecca 04-24-2012 10:54 PM

Who took Emery's spot?

Sorter 04-24-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8564343)
Kuechly is going to be attached to us because his attitude etc etc speak Patriot way, Pioli and all that. Oddly his athletic numbers are right there with Mayo's his draft year...

Mayo played in a 3-4 and plays DJ's position. Normally I would agree and think that Pioli was drafting Kuechly as a form of insurance for DJ, but with Brockers likely available, I doubt it. Kuechly would be great if DJ goes down with an injury or we decide to "groom him". Yes, he won't be an immediate starter/upgrade over Belcher but if DJ goes down, there is nobody to replace him. If we end up drafting Kuechly, that is Pioli's thinking IMO.

Sorter 04-24-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8564347)
Who took Emery's spot?

I haven't seen anything yet on it, I'll look though.

Sorter 04-24-2012 10:57 PM

On our website, there is no college of scouting diretor. It is probablyFarmer, Nagy e Green running the show with Pioli.

ChiefsCountry 04-24-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 8564301)
Cody had major concerns coming out. Sure in hindsight it would of been a better pick.

Kind of hard to say it was hindsight when the whole board was screaming on draft day to take Cody or Jimmy Clausen in that draft.

Mecca 04-24-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8564353)
Mayo played in a 3-4 and plays DJ's position. Normally I would agree and think that Pioli was drafting Kuechly as a form of insurance for DJ, but with Brockers likely available, I doubt it. Kuechly would be great if DJ goes down with an injury or we decide to "groom him". Yes, he won't be an immediate starter/upgrade over Belcher but if DJ goes down, there is nobody to replace him. If we end up drafting Kuechly, that is Pioli's thinking IMO.

If we had a NT Kuechly could play with DJ...I think they're gonna take Brockers but the fact that taking a 5 tech in the first round again is ok speaks to what this front office has done to the fan base.

Sorter 04-24-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8564365)
If we had a NT Kuechly could play with DJ...I think they're gonna take Brockers but the fact that taking a 5 tech in the first round again is ok speaks to what this front office has done to the fan base.

To be fair, Pioli has only drafted 3 5-techs, and Magee is gone. There are plenty of teams that take 5-techs in the first round each year, I don't have a problem with that. However, the fact that we've drafted a #3, a 3rd, another 3rd, and now a 1st either seems like our scouting staff is a bunch of ****ing idiots, or its an extreme position of need. I think it falls in-between. If we draft 2 DEs for a 3-4 this year, or another next year, then there is reason for concern. I agree with the NT idea, as an above avg NT makes your entire 3-4 better, especially if you somehow get lucky enough to draft one that can push the pocket ala Wilfork.

Nightfyre 04-24-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8564281)

McCluster over Cody is an unforgivable abortion of a pick. Trading up for Moeaki when you could've had Graham or Hernandez was a mistake. Arenas was a major reach and I'm not impressed by getting a kick returner and nickle corner from a 2nd round pick.

I suspect Pioli had the inside scoop on Cody from Saban. At least, I would think so.

DJ's left nut 04-25-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8564414)
I suspect Pioli had the inside scoop on Cody from Saban. At least, I would think so.

Well his inside scoop sucked. Cody's a hell of a ballplayer.

suds79 04-25-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8564703)
Well his inside scoop sucked. Cody's a hell of a ballplayer.

Yep no spinning that. That was a mistake. Period point blank.

buddha 04-25-2012 09:50 AM

The knock on Moeaki coming out of Iowa was his durability. That continues to be the question. He could be the most talented TE in the league, but if he can't stay on the field, it doesn't matter much. Some guys just seem to get injured much more than others...who knows why?

The Pioli draft record is still very much open.