ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Which was most influential (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263685)

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8913252)
However, until the first showing of Teen Spirit on MTV, those acts were music geeks' little secrets. So Nirvana 'started the era' in the sense of authoritatively announcing its arrival and dominance for the next 5 years. A week before, Guns 'n' Roses were undisputed and deserved cocks of the walk.

And IMO, Nirvana was just an extension of Guns 'N Roses, to the extent that it was about the visuals, the frontman, etc.

They were Cheap Trick for the 90's. And by that, I don't mean to insult Cheap Trick, which is a phenomenal band.

Hammock Parties 09-15-2012 10:37 PM

Elvis Presley stole all his music from black musicians.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913288)
The most ridiculous aspect of your assertion is that Seattle grunge, whether it's Nirvana or Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, actually meant anything.

The genre was dead almost as quickly as it began.

Alanis Morrisette had a bigger and longer lasting impact on the music scene than any of the Seattle bands. Soundgarden disbanded in 1997 after a lackluster release, Pearl Jam's appeal faded dramatically after Vs. and Nirvana died when Kurt died.

"Grunge" is nothing more than a footnote in Rock & Roll history. You of ALL people should know that.

The band that benefited the most from the "Alt/Grunge" era was Smashing Pumpkins and even they couldn't sustain it.

It meant something for a while. But you're Dane and you know best. We all know you'e the smartest person here because you say so, even if you're the dumbest person this side of CoMO.

Oh and check Pearl Jams realeases since you say they died.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913309)
It meant something for a while. But you're Dane and you know best. We all know you'e the smartest person here because you say so, even if you're the dumbest person this side of CoMO.

Giving up that easy? Well, okay. Just more proof that your threads are worthless and lack conviction.

Good luck with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913309)
Oh and check Pearl Jams realeases since you say they died.

I never said anything about Pearl Jam's music: I alluded to their mass appeal, which is a mere fraction of what it was back in 1992-1994.

For the record, I saw Pearl Jam at the Gibson in the last year. The performance was absolutely amazing and was made even better when Chris Cornell joined them onstage for "Hunger Strike".

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8913307)

Claythan stole all his ideas from slightly smarter people on the internet.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8913307)

He didn't "steal" anything. Royalties were paid, just as they were when the blues were covered by The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Beatles and just about anyone that ever covered previously publishing songs.

Copping someone's vibe isn't stealing.

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913304)
And IMO, Nirvana was just an extension of Guns 'N Roses, to the extent that it was about the visuals, the frontman, etc.

They were Cheap Trick for the 90's. And by that, I don't mean to insult Cheap Trick, which is a phenomenal band.

Honestly Dane, these are the words of someone who looks at music as a product to be marketed with no conception of the actual worth of the content.

You're coming off like Barton Fink's producers here.

Brock 09-15-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913094)
Dude... Pearl Jam is the best of the 3.

Pearl Jam isn't the best of any 3 bands ever.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:49 PM

This thread had good footing for a while. Then the usual asswads came in and made asswads of themselves again LOL.

I'm due at a funeral at 9am so Dane asswad can think I gave up if it makes him feel better about himself.

Good thread overall... thanks guys.

Baby Lee 09-15-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913316)
He didn't "steal" anything. Royalties were paid, just as they were when the blues were covered by The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Beatles and just about anyone that ever covered previously publishing songs.

Copping someone's vibe isn't stealing.

Holy Shit. I'm a big supporter of remix culture, but I hold no fantasies that all previous rights holders were made whole.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zd-dqUuvLk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's shit ton that was repurposed without compensation. I've made my peace with it, but I don't claim righteousness.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware Kirby is a Ginger Chewbacca

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-15-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913312)
Giving up that easy? Well, okay. Just more proof that your threads are worthless and lack conviction.

Good luck with that.

I never said anything about Pearl Jam's music: I alluded to their mass appeal, which is a mere fraction of what it was back in 1992-1994.

For the record, I saw Pearl Jam at the Gibson in the last year. The performance was absolutely amazing and was made even better when Chris Cornell joined them onstage for "Hunger Strike".

You actually did. Dumbass.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8913318)
Honestly Dane, these are the words of someone who looks at music as a product to be marketed with no conception of the actual worth of the content.

You're coming off like Barton Fink's producers here.

Two words: Geffen Records.

AustinChief 09-15-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913256)
The Beatles, on the other hand, not only changed popular music forever, they changed the way popular music was recorded and delivered. From syncing up multiple four-track machines to Abbey Road to George Martin to their competitive nature (Sgt. Peppers was a direct response to Pet Sounds) to visiting the Maharishi to using acid to expand their minds, to the British Invasion to the introduction of Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and countless other "American" artists, The Beatles influence is unparalled.

And as I have pointed out. This is mostly wrong. (depending on how you are defining influence) Yes, there were a few incremental things they did but nothing as big as the likes of the Beach Boys or Phil Spector. I will say, Geoff Emerick (engineer for the Beatles on their most "groundbreaking" stuff) was/is one of the best to ever live. So they have that.

To be clear, I am a HUGE beatles fan... which is why I know the subject matter and can point out other artists who were responsible for FAR AND AWAY more innovation in the industry. The Beatles just did everything so damn WELL that they get more credit than they often deserve.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 8913329)
You actually did. Dumbass.

Where?

I said their mass appeal greatly faded. I made absolutely no mention of their music.

Dumbass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8913288)
Pearl Jam's appeal faded dramatically after Vs.

DaneMcCloud 09-15-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8913332)
And as I have pointed out. This is mostly wrong.

LMAO

I cannot even begin to tell you just how wrong you are, so I won't even bother.

But, check out Brian Kehew's "Recording The Beatles" book, which is a must read for any and every studio engineer, producer and even musician and check back in.

Furthermore, Ken Scott was more influential than Emerick, but we're splitting hairs. Abbey Road, EMI consoles, the engineers, etc. pretty much defined modern music and there are a countless number of worshippers along with people still chasing those recordings.