ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

duncan_idaho 07-22-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827286)
LOL. Winters is basically a clone of Weatherspoon. Spoon was a very athletic, explosive 6-1, 195 2-star linebacker out of high school (with offers from Houston, Iowa State, and Tulane).

Other linebackers, like Wilson (6-4, 240), Scherer (6-4, 229), and Beisel (6-4, 225), were all much bigger coming out of high school. I get that Mizzou fan enjoys whining, but folks should at least be informed when doing so.

Winters is shorter, though. Listed at 5-11, and whispers that he's more like 5-9.5.

There's a limit to how much weight you can typically put on a guy like that and have him retain his athleticism and explosion.

Best case for Winters would be getting him to the 220-225 range, probably.

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon (Post 9827325)
Every LB without offers that we offer is Sean Weatherspoon you see. They are all going to turn into All-Americans and first round draft picks. Why can't you whiners realize this?

I don't think anybody (other than you) is dumb enough to claim that. Winters, though, is very similar to Spoon in size, speed, and explosion. I'm not sure how many of Mizzou's linebackers can match Winter's 39 inch vertical.

He may never play a down at Missouri. I have no idea. But, the kid is an athlete that performed at a high level for an excellent team.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 04:04 PM

This has the potential to be the worst recruiting class in a decade.

Pepe Silvia 07-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827286)
LOL. Winters is basically a clone of Weatherspoon. Spoon was a very athletic, explosive 6-1, 195 2-star linebacker out of high school (with offers from Houston, Iowa State, and Tulane).

Other linebackers, like Wilson (6-4, 240), Scherer (6-4, 229), and Beisel (6-4, 225), were all much bigger coming out of high school. I get that Mizzou fan enjoys whining, but folks should at least be informed when doing so.

Maybe in size but let me seem him play like Sean Witherspoon first before comparing him to one of the best Mizzou LB's of all time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon (Post 9827325)
Every LB without offers that we offer is Sean Weatherspoon you see. They are all going to turn into All-Americans and first round draft picks. Why can't you whiners realize this?

Yeah we pumped out All-Americans 3-4 years ago, not lately. And Its not whining, I'm pointing out facts but MU homers want only nice things said about a these crappy squads that pinkels been building the past few years. They deserve a lot of criticism from a lot of fans right now.

Sorter 07-22-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9827349)
Winters is shorter, though. Listed at 5-11, and whispers that he's more like 5-9.5.

There's a limit to how much weight you can typically put on a guy like that and have him retain his athleticism and explosion.

Best case for Winters would be getting him to the 220-225 range, probably.

5'9 220-225 is pretty damn nice for an ITB safety. Pretty much Shamarko Thomas

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827424)
I don't think anybody (other than you) is dumb enough to claim that. Winters, though, is very similar to Spoon in size, speed, and explosion. I'm not sure how many of Mizzou's linebackers can match Winter's 39 inch vertical.

He may never play a down at Missouri. I have no idea. But, the kid is an athlete that performed at a high level for an excellent team.

I certainly appreciate your optimism, but if he is so explosive why doesn't he have more/better offers?

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827776)
5'9 220-225 is pretty damn nice for an ITB safety. Pretty much Shamarko Thomas

There was a time when Missouri found diamonds in the rough, but the staff's ability to do that disintegrated at the exact same time that we started losing out on higher profile players.

Having 20 3* recruits isn't bad when you can turn some of the 2s and 3s into Sean Weatherspoon, Danario Alexander, Chase Daniel, and William Moore, but when your 4* players are Nick Demien, Josh Tatum, and your roster is filled with marginal DI talent, as they say in Ebonics, we be ****t.

Sorter 07-22-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9827787)
There was a time when Missouri found diamonds in the rough, but the staff's ability to do that disintegrated at the exact same time that we started losing out on higher profile players.

Having 20 3* recruits isn't bad when you can turn some of the 2s and 3s into Sean Weatherspoon, Danario Alexander, Chase Daniel, and William Moore, but when your 4* players are Nick Demien, Josh Tatum, and your roster is filled with marginal DI talent, as they say in Ebonics, we be ****t.

This is true.

I'm still really confused as to why nobody signed Alexander to an offer sheet this offseason. Worst case scenario, you'd force the Chargers to shell out some money to keep him.

Pitt Gorilla 07-22-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9827780)
I certainly appreciate your optimism, but if he is so explosive why doesn't he have more/better offers?

He may get them. And we may then lose him. Then we can all complain about how we lost such a talent.

Mizzou_8541 07-22-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9827801)
He may get them. And we may then lose him. Then we can all complain about how we lost such a talent.

Absolutely possible. Since I know nothing about judging high school football talent, I tend to go off of offers more than stars...that being said, after another year of football, he could get them. I just have a hard time having much faith in a kid recruited by powerhouse programs such as North Dakota and Sam Houston st.

Rams Fan 07-22-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827797)
This is true.

I'm still really confused as to why nobody signed Alexander to an offer sheet this offseason. Worst case scenario, you'd force the Chargers to shell out some money to keep him.

Because his knees are absolute shit and can't stand the wear and tear of a 16 game season.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9827812)
Because his knees are absolute shit and can't stand the wear and tear of a 16 game season.

Ten games of Danario Alexander are better than 16 games of any receiver the Chiefs have had not named Dwayne Bowe in the last 25 years.

Sorter 07-22-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9827812)

So? You make an offer, either the Chargers match and have to shell out more money, or you get a player that you might be able to develop. You don't lose anything either way. He's on league minimum right now, IIRC.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-22-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9827919)
So? You make an offer, either the Chargers match and have to shell out more money, or you get a player that you might be able to develop. You don't lose anything either way. He's on league minimum right now, IIRC.

It's a classic example of the archaic line of thinking in football. It's the most resistant of all American sports to change, and it is run in the least intelligent manner. The fact of the matter is that 8 or 10 games of Danario Alexander is worth more than 16 games of a replacement level player, but teams resist signing players like that for dirt cheap because they buy into moronic truisms like Bill Parcells' "You can't help the club from the tub."

Trevo_410 07-22-2013 07:28 PM

New commit,

http://rivals.yahoo.com/missouri/foo...xA2bR52dgas5B4

5.7 rating wooooooooooooooo exciting!

oh wait, he's a dexter mccluster without speed.

yay go tigers.

:harumph: