ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Robert Redford In Talks To Star In ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271396)

007 04-08-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10548983)
I did matinee Saturday. It still cost $36 for two tickets to IMAX 3D.

do live on the coast? No way you spent that in KC

ThaVirus 04-08-2014 07:36 PM

I'll be hitting up the first 2D showing of the day. It's usually something ridiculously low like $5.

WhiteWhale 04-08-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10545845)
I took the kid (7 yo) to see it last night. We both thought it was bad ass.

Did you have any reservations about taking a 7 year old to such a violent movie? I would love to see the death count in that movie. It had to be well over 50.

Or do you, like so many, find such violent films acceptable for children as long as there is no blood or naughty words?

Don't get me wrong... I saw Robocop, Predator, and Die hard before I was 10 years old and it didn't scar me.. but this 'bloodless violence' trend so they can sell it more openly to kids seems wrong to me.

I'm more curious if you would feel the same if they used squib packs and showed the violence as being as messy as real violence is. Not condemning your parenting or anything. Just an honest question.

keg in kc 04-08-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10549163)

IMAX matinee here in Olathe is 13 each.

(Which is plenty bad enough in my book...).

007 04-08-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10549214)
Did you have any reservations about taking a 7 year old to such a violent movie? I would love to see the death count in that movie. It had to be well over 50.

Or do you, like so many, find such violent films acceptable for children as long as there is no blood or naughty words?

Don't get me wrong... I saw Robocop, Predator, and Die hard before I was 10 years old and it didn't scar me.. but this 'bloodless violence' trend so they can sell it more openly to kids seems wrong to me.

I'm more curious if you would feel the same if they used squib packs and showed the violence as being as messy as real violence is. Not condemning your parenting or anything. Just an honest question.

I didn't know much about CA but had no idea he killed as easily as he does. I always expected him to be more of the batman superman approach of not killing. Guess I really didn't know much about CA at all.

WhiteWhale 04-08-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10549232)
I didn't know much about CA but had no idea he killed as easily as he does. I always expected him to be more of the batman superman approach of not killing. Guess I really didn't know much about CA at all.

I'm not sure he, himself, really killed that many people.

unlurking 04-08-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10549163)

Denver.

ThaVirus 04-08-2014 07:50 PM

I have memories of watching The Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc from when I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old AND I TURNED OUT JUST FINE

ThaVirus 04-08-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10549246)
Denver.

Ahh. Gotta pay for the added security protocol.

007 04-08-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10549235)
I'm not sure he, himself, really killed that many people.

There were a couple moments in this film that kind of surprised me. Plus, him taking on the machine guns in CA1 and Avengers. I know he is a soldier so it shouldn't have really surprised me.

I do think they keep his killing low for the most part because of the kids that may watch this. I'm not sure I would take my 6YO to see it though.

Aries Walker 04-08-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10549232)

He's a soldier. He tries not to, and he feels really bad when he does, but he'll kill people if he has to.

WhiteWhale 04-08-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10549266)
I have memories of watching The Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc from when I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old AND I TURNED OUT JUST FINE

Yeah, I know. I also did.

That's not my point. My problem is that those movies were rated R and now they just remove blood and slap a PG(13) label on everything for the explicit purpose of selling it to kids. It seems really dishonest to me.

ThaVirus 04-08-2014 08:01 PM

Robert Redford In Talks To Star In ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10549287)
Yeah, I know. I also did.

That's not my point. My problem is that those movies were rated R and now they just remove blood and slap a PG(13) label on everything for the explicit purpose of selling it to kids.

Well, I can't speak as much to movies because I never really paid attention, but it has bothered me in cartoons.

I happened to watch some clips of the old Samurai Jack cartoon on YouTube the other day and that mother****er was killing everybody. No mercy.. But the show made it "ok" by making everyone he fought a robot or a shadow monster. No blood, no guts- only oil and black, shadowy goo.

And while we're in a comic book thread, pretty much any X Men cartoon ever made. Wolverine is basically useless. He'll get all pissed off, *snikt*, bear down on the enemy all intimidating-like, then...... slash his gun in half? I never noticed as a kid but they were trying to spare us the gore, I guess.

KC native 04-08-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10549214)

Zero problems with it. I watched much worse when I was younger than him.

The only thing that I would really avoid with him are movies with overt sexuality and over the top language. Kids hear adults cuss all the time. As long as he knows that he isn't allowed to say it and doesn't then I'm cool with it.

Wrt violence, obviously I won't be watching Django or Machete with him, but kids see violence on tv and movies all the time (Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, etc). As long as your kid can separate reality from friction and doesn't act out after seeing the movie then I don't have a problem with it.

Aries Walker 04-08-2014 08:04 PM

Plus, it's pretty badass when Cap takes out that gunship from his motorcycle.

You have to factor in the badass.