ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***Official NCAA Championship Game Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271889)

KevB 04-08-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9570178)
Are people really saying Michigan got the short stick of the officiating? I saw it completely the other way. I saw some bad calls on both ends but in the long run I felt the refs were keeping Michigan in it.

The one big argument that Michigan has is that the officials took the best player off the floor for 12 minutes in the first half. That one call probably impacted the game more than any other. I thought, generally, the officials were equally bad.

KC_Connection 04-08-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Are people really saying Michigan got the short stick of the officiating? I saw it completely the other way. I saw some bad calls on both ends but in the long run I felt the refs were keeping Michigan in it.

I don't know if any time got more of it than the other. But it was bad out there.

tboss27 04-08-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Louisville has two hands on their opponents. Constantly. They dare the refs to call 40 fouls, knowing they will swallow their whistles on most of them.

notorious 04-08-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

I have not seen anyone say the refs helped Louisville, just that Louisville gets by with a much more physical game of basketball.

If they called college like they do NBA, Loiusville would have been lucky to make it past the Sweet 16.

KevB 04-08-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9570182)
So, in other words, he's a scrub. Spike is just a bigger one.

Except KU plays a defense nothing like this. There is little pressure involved and they don't create turnovers at all. It's all about forcing teams into bad shots through Withey's presence. Whereas Louisville creates the 2nd most turnovers in the nation (behind VCU) with their full court, on the ball defense and it's not difficult to see why.

Hancock averaged 8 points on 22 minutes this season. He's a piece to the puzzle. Is McGary a scrub? He averaged 7.5 pts in 19 minutes this season. Is Kevin Young a scrub for KU? 8 pts on 22 min/game. It's a surprise Hancock played as well as he did, but every year the team that wins seems to have a guy that jumps up and plays better than expected.

KU doesn't press like this, but they're physical and maintain lots of contact with the guy they're defending.

tboss27 04-08-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9570194)
I have not seen anyone say the refs helped Louisville, just that Louisville gets by with a much more physical game of basketball.

If they called college like they do NBA, Loiusville would have been lucky to make it past the Sweet 16.

This. WSU was in the double bonus with 12+ minutes to play on Saturday. They barely got to the line the rest of the game. Not because Louisville stopped playing physical, because the refs weren't going to keep blowing the whistle every 30 seconds.

KC_Connection 04-08-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9570196)
Hancock averaged 8 points on 22 minutes this season. He's a piece to the puzzle.

So he's a spot shooter that wasn't particularly efficient and scored some points and did little else. A poor man's Tyrel Reed?

Quote:

Is McGary a scrub? He averaged 7.5 pts in 19 minutes this season
McGary barely played this season because Beilein is an idiot. He obviously contributes much more than Hancock when you look at more than PPG and his overall impact on the game, though.

Quote:

. Is Kevin Young a scrub for KU? 8 pts on 22 min/game.
Pretty much, but Kevin Young did much more on the court than Hancock in terms of his defense and rebounding.

Quote:

It's a surprise Hancock played as well as he did, but every year the team that wins seems to have a guy that jumps up and plays better than expected.
And every year I'll say that a scrub played over his head if that's the case.

Quote:

KU doesn't press like this, but they're physical and maintain lots of contact with the guy they're defending.
KU wasn't anywhere near this relentlessly physical this season. In fact, some would say that was a major weakness with their defense. If they were, they'd be better than 265th in the country in turnover percentage and would have been able to score far easier than they did. There's absolutely no comparison between the two defenses.

KevB 04-08-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9570209)
So he's a spot shooter that wasn't particularly efficient and scored some points and did little else. A poor man's Tyrel Reed?

McGary barely played this season because Beilein is an idiot. He obviously contributes much more than Hancock when you look at more than PPG and his overall impact on the game, though.

Pretty much, but Kevin Young did much more on the court than Hancock in terms of his defense and rebounding.

And every year I'll say that a scrub played over his head if that's the case.

KU wasn't anywhere near this relentlessly physical this season. In fact, some would say that was a major weakness with their defense. If they were, they'd be better than 265th in the country in turnover percentage and would have been able to score far easier than they did. There's absolutely no comparison between the two defenses.

I'm done, I have a feeling you would argue with me until tomorrow morning. I'll say what I'm going to say, you can respond with the last word and I won't respond anymore. You said the game was a shitshow because scrubs were playing well. I said Hancock was a rotation player that Louisville depended on as a threat as a shooter. What did he do well in the FF? He shot well. Shocking.

My comparison to KU wasn't specific to the KU team this year necessarily. Self teaches a physical brand of defense. Releford, for example, plays defense with his feet and his hands (and is great, not a criticism). The style of defense is obviously different --- press vs. half court. But the physical nature taught by both coaches is similar.

Shogun 04-08-2013 10:32 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3rKTG97.gif

KC_Connection 04-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9570241)
I'm done, I have a feeling you would argue with me until tomorrow morning. I'll say what I'm going to say, you can respond with the last word and I won't respond anymore.

You're free to do whatever you want. You started this argument by responding to an innocuous statement I made about the game that several others agreed with. Why you were offended by it, I'm still not sure.

Quote:

You said the game was a shitshow because scrubs were playing well. I said Hancock was a rotation player that Louisville depended on as a threat as a shooter. What did he do well in the FF? He shot well. Shocking.
No, I said the game was a shitshow because it was a mixture of hacking, scrubs playing completely above their heads, and awful officiating. And the game was clearly all of those things (whether you want to admit Handock is a scrub or not). Get it right if you're going to try to knock what I said.

Quote:

My comparison to KU wasn't specific to the KU team this year necessarily.
You didn't say that. In fact, the main implication drawn from your original claim was that Louisville's defense was somehow similar to this year's team (and then you proceeded to talk about what this year's KU team did when I questioned you on it making the implication more clear).

Quote:

Self teaches a physical brand of defense. Releford, for example, plays defense with his feet and his hands (and is great, not a criticism). The style of defense is obviously different --- press vs. half court. But the physical nature taught by both coaches is similar.
I really can't draw any similarities at all between Pitino's pressure defense and KU's stay-at-home defenses of the last few years beyond Self wanting his players to be tough on the ball and strong on the glass. Those, of course, are the characteristics of any good defensive team at any level.

The last time a KU defense created turnovers in an even above average fashion with pure physicality and pressure (although not anywhere close to Louisville still) was about 7-8 years ago in the early Chalmers/Wright/Rush/Robinson era. The comparison between the two really isn't apt as their defensive philosophies are quite different.

Chiefs Pantalones 04-08-2013 10:57 PM

@PriscoCBS: Hancock will be a tough cover at the Y

TLO 04-08-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9570243)

ROFLROFL

cardken2 04-08-2013 11:51 PM

End of the Day, LOUISVILLE CARDINALS CHAMPIONS, BITCHES!!! Kansas fans can make all the excuses and accusations you want. LOUISVILLE WON. Refs and "Bad Calls" be damned/ Those are always the laments of the Sour Grapes of the world. READ IT LOUISVILLE CHAMPS! DONE>

GloryDayz 04-09-2013 06:49 AM

Welp, let's hope every "coach" learns how to cry like Petty-no.... It'll add an interesting aspect to the game...

Pasta Little Brioni 04-09-2013 07:41 AM

Calling a very key role guy a "scrub"? Not everyone is knee deep in All Americans silly Beaker