ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010881)

Bill Murray was balls. Blues Traveler rocked as Amish.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 10010884)
Purchase and use a good meat thermometer.

I like to put a little salt, pepper and dash of lowry's on KC strips that are just below room temp. Get the coals nice and glowing red hot, then hit each side for about 2 minutes with the lid up. Then turn again and rotate 90degrees and give it another 4 minutes with the lid down. At that point, there should be red juice showing and I check (only once) the temp, flip the steak over one last time (rotate 90degrees), close the lid and give it about one minute, plus one minute for every five degrees away from 145 center temp. Take off the steaks, give them at least 5 minutes to rest, and enjoy a perfect, juicy, medium-rare steak with beautiful cross-hatched grill marks.

Thanks man. I do have a good corded thermo but I want to be able to do it by eye.

saphojunkie 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010273)
Grilled steaks last night, they came out ok but not great. Good cuts of meat but they weren't juicy like a restaurant. I only turned them once, used high heat. I like them medium rate.
I have 2 grills, gas and infra red, just can't seem to get the perfect streak.
Anyone have any tips?

Watch this and thank me later.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t4aI_O8kcN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10010289)
Let them sit out for 20min before grilling. Let them sit 5-10 before eating.

A 1 inch thick ribeye I'll cook about 7 minutes per side for medium

this. marinate is a key, room temp before grilling it, and letting it rest lets the moisture return to the muscle tissue so it doesn't end up all over the plate.

Most restaurants baste their steak with melted butter as it cooks btw. I don't do it routinely, but it does make a difference

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 10010735)
Also - pat dry before setting on the grate. This is an often overlooked step that makes a huge difference in the crust you're able to get on the outside of the steak.

To get a good crust, I like to dry the steaks in the fridge for a few days. I take the steaks out of the wrapper when we get them and put them uncovered on racks in the fridge for 3-4 days (for thick steaks - 1-2 days for thin cut). It slightly drys the outside, which makes a great crust. The drier outside also seems to seal in the juices in the middle.

Admittedly, I do this mostly for pan frying since I don't grill steaks that often. Drying/aging the steaks saves you from trying to fry a steak in a puddle of water.

tooge 09-23-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010328)
Fresh garlic or powder? I don't do the charcoal thing. I'm too damn lazy and don't want to deal with the mess.

cut a clove of garlic in half. rub cut half on steak to get the garlic oils onto the steak. then just salt and pepper. When grilling, turn it at 45 degrees to the steakhouse grill marks, which add more area of carmelization.

vailpass 09-23-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10010899)
cut a clove of garlic in half. rub cut half on steak to get the garlic oils onto the steak. then just salt and pepper. When grilling, turn it at 45 degrees to the steakhouse grill marks, which add more area of carmelization.

Thanks man.

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10010899)

There used to be a steak house here that would cut slits in the side of the steaks before cooking and they would slide slivers of garlic cloves into the slits and then cook. The steaks were amazing.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10010894)
To get a good crust, I like to dry the steaks in the fridge for a few days. I take the steaks out of the wrapper when we get them and put them uncovered on racks in the fridge for 3-4 days (for thick steaks - 1-2 days for thin cut). It slightly drys the outside, which makes a great crust. The drier outside also seems to seal in the juices in the middle.

Admittedly, I do this mostly for pan frying since I don't grill steaks that often. Drying/aging the steaks saves you from trying to fry a steak in a puddle of water.

I can cook a steak in an iron skillet better than most people can cook on a grill anyway

trndobrd 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010891)
Thanks man. I do have a good corded thermo but I want to be able to do it by eye.

After a couple times with the thermometer, you'll get a good feel for how long it should take and you won't have to use it every time. Also, it should be 135 not 145 for medium rare.

Dayze 09-23-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 10010917)
I can cook a steak in an iron skillet better than most people can cook on a grill anyway

yeah, but can you juggle?.....I think not.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010925)

Can't juggle

manchambo 09-23-2013 10:25 AM

I got a sous vide machine not too long ago. It cooks steaks perfectly. You set the water to the desired temperature, stick them in there for 45 minutes, then sear them on a super-hot grill or pan. On Saturday I put them in with some garlic, olive oil and basil in the sous vide bag. Beautiful.

R8RFAN 09-23-2013 10:26 AM

45 mins? Thats a pot roast

Frosty 09-23-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10010925)

Hah - I can.