ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270480)

ChiefsCountry 08-12-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9879871)
I'm like you in that I'm not a big fan of Alex Smith, but he's our Qb, for now. Nothing going to change that, barring injury. And I'd rather that not happen and go 2-14 again (if we're lucky). Just not good for morale to do that two years in a row.

For a second I thought we might draft a quarterback then but then I figured we would just take Jake Matthews.

New World Order 08-12-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9879853)
Let the Alexcuses flow...

I am already anticipating Friday's excuses:

"Jamaal isn't in there, Alex Smith doesn't have a running game."

"Fisher's thumb is sore! We can't expect Smith to play both RT and QB!"

Jakemall 08-12-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9879942)

Oh you can count on Fisher getting a lesson from one of the best in the business in Aldon Smith when he flips to the otherside. Brooks and Mac are no slouches either. Alex is going to be on the run the whole time. I have to believe that Alex, Reid and Pederson are well aware of it and will game plan for it. (even if it is a pre-season game) It's going to be interesting to watch.

O.city 08-12-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9879848)
And if you're look at the 2nd gif from Alex's view he has little to no time to set his feet and make a throw. He knows he doesn't have elite arm strength to pull off a dangerous throw like that.

Also, there is a safety looming within 5 yards of DMC who can close in and get a pick.

But what's hilarious about this is that Clay is picking apart the only throw Alex Smith didn't complete the entire drive he played.

When he hits his back foot there, ball shold have been coming out to Dex. He was open.

We ended up scoring, but he needs to be able to hit that throw.

Jakemall 08-12-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9880052)
When he hits his back foot there, ball shold have been coming out to Dex. He was open.

We ended up scoring, but he needs to be able to hit that throw.

He was open, but the lineman was in his face and had the lane... possible tip...and there was a guy on top..he'd have gotten 5 yards maybe.

Mav 08-12-2013 10:37 PM

just stoked that his one incompletion is being beaten to death.

Just awesome work.

This is called nitpicking, or beating a horse to death....

J Diddy 08-12-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9879942)

How about it's a preseason game and at the end of it all if they play well I could give a shit?

Scores matter in 3 weeks not this one.

RunKC 08-12-2013 10:51 PM

Alex Smith could throw 3 TD's and 300 yards and Clay would still bitch because he didn't throw 40 yard lasers downfield every pass.

J Diddy 08-12-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Let it be known that I think, despite all your shortcomings, that this was clever.

Mav 08-12-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9880376)
Let it be known that I think, despite all your shortcomings, that this was clever.

wow. Really? We had been using that on the 49ers forums for years lol.

Phobia 08-12-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9880390)
wow. Really? We had been using that on the 49ers forums for years lol.

So you're saying Clay stole somebody else's intellectual property? I find that hard to believe.

AussieChiefsFan 08-12-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9880423)
So you're saying Clay stole somebody else's intellectual property? I find that hard to believe.

LMAO

Mav 08-12-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

oooo, I like your sarcasm....That rocks. ROFL

DJ's left nut 08-12-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9879784)
Ball has to come out when Dex goes into his cut and there as soon as he comes out of it,

50 drives on that ball and either picks it or murders McCluster. You make that throw more than a time or two and your WRs are going to hate you.

And he was going backwards due to pressure straight at him (the worst kind) when McCluster cleared the middle.

There's probably a throw to be made there right when Clay pauses the GIF and circles McCluster, but it's not an easy one. He's going to have to throw while running and dropping back. He's being pushed backwards there and that's damn tough momentum to break.

But it's a makeable throw and one I'd like to see him try in the regular season, without question. The key is that he picks that up at that point and not 2 strides later when that CB almost certainly drives on the throw and turns it into a pick six.

It's not as easy as Clay makes it - because again, Clay knows nothing about actually playing the game of football - but it is one that a top 10 QB needs to be willing/able to make. So yes, I'd like to see him make that pass.

DaneMcCloud 08-13-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9880441)
It's not as easy as Clay makes it - because again, Clay knows nothing about actually playing the game of football - but it is one that a top 10 QB needs to be willing/able to make. So yes, I'd like to see him make that pass.

I'd like to see him make that pass, if it's necessary. If the game is on the line and time is short, absolutely.

But on the first drive? Not so much. Six points trumps three or an INT.

Brando 08-13-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Hard to believe though it wasn't fed to him by the great one like baby food.

Hammock Parties 08-13-2013 12:35 AM

LMAO

Classic GoChiefs hating here.

That DB was half a ****ing football field away and not even thinking about a pick.

Three7s 08-13-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9880480)
LMAO

That DB was half a ****ing football field away and not even thinking about a pick.

Wrong, by the time he was in Smith's field of vision, he was a mere 15 yards away and, as DJ said, Smith was being pushed back and would've been a very tough throw. You take the risk in the regular season, but in the preseason? No thanks.

O.city 08-13-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9880441)
50 drives on that ball and either picks it or murders McCluster. You make that throw more than a time or two and your WRs are going to hate you.

And he was going backwards due to pressure straight at him (the worst kind) when McCluster cleared the middle.

There's probably a throw to be made there right when Clay pauses the GIF and circles McCluster, but it's not an easy one. He's going to have to throw while running and dropping back. He's being pushed backwards there and that's damn tough momentum to break.

But it's a makeable throw and one I'd like to see him try in the regular season, without question. The key is that he picks that up at that point and not 2 strides later when that CB almost certainly drives on the throw and turns it into a pick six.

He was going backwards, but that was after he should have ripped it to Dex if he's making that throw. And I agree that 50 drives on the football, but there is a window there to make said throw. It's one he's going to have to make, but in said sitatuion I understand not trying it.

Once he hits his back foot and has time to come forward, it could/shold have come out it that throw is to be made. I would like to see him make that throw, and if we're going to be as best as we can, he needs to hit it.

I'd argue that Baldwin was also open underneath for a smallish gain.

milkman 08-13-2013 08:32 AM

I don't get the whole preseason games are not when you want to see him making that throw thought process.

That's exactly when I want him to make that throw.

Test his limits when it doesn't matter.

Sandy Vagina 08-13-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9880749)
I don't get the whole preseason games are not when you want to see him making that throw thought process.

Agree. Chuck shit around just to test receivers, cover D players, or even to challenge yourself. It's only preseason.

Phobia 08-13-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Seconded.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9879609)
Alex Smith is already missing open receivers. Even my favorite one.

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/wtfalex2.gif

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/wtfalex.gif

Clear unencumbered illustration of Alex's inability to see the open receiver, or unwillingness to pull the trigger. That end zone view is as crystal clear as you can get.

The sad thing is it doesn't take Manning, Brady or Brees to complete that pass. That is a complete Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton, or Sam Bradford. You know, the average/below average QBs.

Perfect illustration, especially that gif from behind Alex toward the end zone. You can't get more open than that.

This has me flashing back to the Seattle game with a wide open Randy Moss racing the entire weight of the end zone waving his hands wildly for Alex to throw to him, while Frank Gore is pointing at Randy and shouting to Alex to throw to him. Which he finally does -- for a Seattle interception.

Mav 08-13-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

makes the most sense to me.......

Ming the Merciless 08-13-2013 10:35 AM

holy jesus

Tribal Warfare 08-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9881062)

Alex missed the Baldwin hotread too.

9er guy 08-13-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9445822)
Alex Smith killed it in that saints playoff game, which makes him loads better than cassel. That was one of the greatest games I've ever watched.

Best 9er game I've watched. (Minus the Super bowl against the Chargers)

He showed he could be viable starter in the league with that game.

Vernon completely dominated that last drive as well.

It was one of the only times in his career I saw him cover for the defense.

Usually it's the other way around. There's just like hella three and outs and field goals, and the defense has to not make any mistakes.

This was a shootout against Drew Brees. Great game.

He came back down to earth in the next game, but it was fun while it lasted.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9879837)
Have you ever even played football? He's in the middle of the field behind a pack by the time AS has got line of sight he's almost to the sideline, rolling to his right with 2 guys on pursuit. If he'd have thrown that ball it would have floated and probably been picked by the corner up top who was waiting for it.

Jesus man.

At least he didn't almost break his own ankle rolling out like Geno did.

Line-of-sight? The devil you say. Alex has line-of-sight between 2 spread defenders when the WR is circled in yellow. He HAS line-of-sight. WFT? 5'-10" Russell Wilson would have had line-of-sight on that pass, AND COMPLETED IT.

Somebody else made the Alexcuse that a DB is in the right corner. Yes, with the WR in the middle of the field wide open and half the field to work with. That is an EASY completion for most QBs. EASY.

Alex often can't see or is unwilling to pull the trigger down field. I've seen this too many times, too many years to buy your Alexcuses. Don't mind me. I'll let you wait until mid-season when you've also seen it too many times and are pulling your hair out in frustration. You are gonna learn this from first hand experience and it won't take many games to see it.

9er guy 08-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

At this point in his career. His skill set is what it is.

He's going to be good at the stuff he's good at and bad at the stuff he's bad at.

I don't think pre-season is the only time you're going to see some of those throws. You guys will be debating ALL SEASON about this guy.

DaneMcCloud 08-13-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Could you imagine the outrage and furor if he had thrown that ball and it was intercepted?

That said, I'm in agreement with the overall notion but I have to admit that after last season (and actually, the past 8 seasons), it was nice to see competent QB play on the first drive.

Regardless of how far the ball was in the air.

JF08 08-13-2013 10:43 AM

So the guy goes 7/8 and all you guys can talk about is the one incomplete pass? No wonder the Chiefs have sucked for so long - the fan base is riddled with negative nancy's! You guys are trolls.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9879919)
With a guy in his face, he'd have to put it up a little which gives the safety on top time to make a play. He probably could have put it up near the sideline and short so that the WR is the only with a chance at the ball..but yeah, the WR gonna take a hit.

I've seen Alex make throws on the run...he's able...but I'm sure clay is going to post that gif of the int to gore in 3 2 1...

The gif of Alex not seeing a wide-open Randy Moss run the entire width of the end zone is probably more germaine to this post.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/15..._Clips__5_.jpg

Left as a link because I can't find a smaller pic.

KC native 08-13-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

ROFL

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9881084)
Line-of-sight? The devil you say. Alex has line-of-sight between 2 spread defenders when the WR is circled in yellow. He HAS line-of-sight. WFT? 5'-10" Russell Wilson would have had line-of-sight on that pass, AND COMPLETED IT.

Somebody else made the Alexcuse that a DB is in the right corner. Yes, with the WR in the middle of the field wide open and half the field to work with. That is an EASY completion for most QBs. EASY.

Alex often can't see or is unwilling to pull the trigger down field. I've seen this too many times, too many years to buy your Alexcuses. Don't mind me. I'll let you wait until mid-season when you've also seen it too many times and are pulling your hair out in frustration. You are gonna learn this from first hand experience and it won't take many games to see it.

I call bullshit. There is no way a pass that is across his body while running the opposite direction is an easy pass for any quarterback. Not to mention the defender in his face that could easily tip it.

I will generally call a spade a spade, but I think it was the right decision to take it out of bounds.

9er guy 08-13-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF08 (Post 9881089)
So the guy goes 7/8 and all you guys can talk about is the one incomplete pass? No wonder the Chiefs have sucked for so long - the fan base is riddled with negative nancy's! You guys are trolls.

But this will be what you're going to get with him.

You're going to get very efficient play in terms of completions and Rating.

I think what was missing for me(when he was in SF) were impact plays from the QB position. Big plays, chunk yardage, things like that.

His completion pct will be high, that just how he plays. But I wonder if he'll be able to make the more difficult throws that he's struggled with throughout his career.

jd1020 08-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881109)
I call bullshit. There is no way a pass that is across his body while running the opposite direction is an easy pass for any quarterback. Not to mention the defender in his face that could easily tip it.

I will generally call a spade a spade, but I think it was the right decision to take it out of bounds.

Are you kidding me? He's got 20+ yards of green grass ahead of McCluster to put the ball. If he can't make that throw... :banghead:

9er guy 08-13-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881109)

It definitely wasn't a bad decision. But do you play it that safe in a pre-season game? I'd to like to see him at least try to make the throw.

You have nothing to lose.

Again, these are things that are indicative of his play style.

If he's not making that throw in August, I don't see him making it in December.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9880480)
LMAO

People are dreaming if they think the DB had a chance at that ball, unless Alex held it too long, which would be entirely possible.

Some people are just not going to believe Alex's unwillingness to make throws until they see it first hand. This is a classic example of it.

9er guy 08-13-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9881127)
Some people are just not going to believe Alex's unwillingness to make throws until they see it first hand. This is a classic example of it.

Oh man. They haven't seen anything yet. Wait until there's a guy open 40 yards downfield and Smitty checks it down for a two-yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9881069)
Alex missed the Baldwin hotread too.

I can't tell you if Alex doesn't see it, or is just unwilling to throw the ball - but this is a very real flaw in Alex's play. The thing is, Alex is athletic enough to make the throw. It is not as if he CAN'T throw it. He just WON'T throw it.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881087)
At this point in his career. His skill set is what it is.

He's going to be good at the stuff he's good at and bad at the stuff he's bad at.

I don't think pre-season is the only time you're going to see some of those throws. You guys will be debating ALL SEASON about this guy.

That is a FACT. Alex gives you so much hope, you constantly think he is on the verge of turning the corner to becoming a top QB. Then he regresses. If you see that cycle enough times, you realize he has at his ceiling and quit hoping to see improvement.

Alex is a solid mid-tier QB, a 12-20 ranked QB and one who can certainly manage a top 10 team to a super bowl win. The gif is a perfect illustration of a mental weakness that, among others, will keep Alex ever from rising up to the top tiers. It is not as if he doesn't have the intelligence or athleticism to do so.

JF08 08-13-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881112)

I think what was missing for me(when he was in SF) were impact plays from the QB position. Big plays, chunk yardage, things like that.

His completion pct will be high, that just how he plays. But I wonder if he'll be able to make the more difficult throws that he's struggled with throughout his career.

I get what you're saying, I'm a Niners fan too. But I came to respect Alex for his perseverance through all the bullshit that the organization put him and the rest of the team through. He never gave up, even when he should have.

Some QB's are physically gifted enough to come up with those plays on their own (like Kaep). Some QB's need a good system around them to succeed - their chunk plays come from repetition, study, and consistency. Over time, those plays become more common - not because they suddenly got a stronger arm, but because the system around them improved over time. Alex fits into the latter category.

There is a reason he was the #1 pick, and it wasn't because of his rocket arm and huge stature. He is a genius when it comes to football. Yes, he is conservative, but as he gained confidence the past season and a half, his yards per completion went up, and so did his completion percentage. Interceptions went down, and the wins starting coming. What he needs is time to develop with the same system, same team, so that he can gradually take more chances. Simply chucking the ball around to "find out" what he's capable of is ludicrous. This isn't Saturday flag football at the beach.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881132)
Oh man. They haven't seen anything yet. Wait until there's a guy open 40 yards downfield and Smitty checks it down for a two-yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Ummm, we are kind of used to that level of ineptitude.

KC native 08-13-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881112)

Hey sounds like a qb we just got rid of.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881121)
Are you kidding me? He's got 20+ yards of green grass ahead of McCluster to put the ball. If he can't make that throw... :banghead:

I get how much space was in front McCluster, that's not what I am talking about. The issue is the defender in front of him. He has no time to plant and throw. He would have to jump and throw to get it over the defender.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881158)
Ummm, we are kind of used to that level of ineptitude.

*Sigh* It's rough brotha. But again, this guy doesn't need to be Tom Brady to get you guys in the tournament.

The AFC is WIDE OPEN. I don't believe in any Peyton Manning lead team in the postseason, so I'm not sold on Denver.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881164)
He would have to jump and throw to get it over the defender.

Or throw it while you're running. Just a thought.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

I get how much space was in front McCluster, that's not what I am talking about. The issue is the defender in front of him. He has no time to plant and throw. He would have to jump and throw to get it over the defender.

GTFO if you think that defender is a problem in making that throw. The problem is Alex Smith being a good ol' boy that doesn't want to entertain the idea of making a mistake and takes the safe route 99.9% of the time.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF08 (Post 9881089)

NO.

It is a clear illustration of Alex's success with the check downs and dump offs vs. he weakness being unwilling to pull the trigger on some passes. It illustrates perfectly what Alex can do -- putting the ball in the hands of his receiving backs to sustain drives, and what he can't do -- show willingness to throw into a window, to throw receivers open, to throw into coverage as needed.

I don't care if he went 49 for 50. The play stands on its own as a topic for discussion, when that topic is Alex's inability to see the open receiver, or unwillingness to throw the ball.

Alex is risk averse.

Here is a perfect example.

That is the difference between Alex and a guy like Eli Manning. Eli is in no way elite, but he is NOT risk averse. In clutch play, Eli still ATTACKS the defense. Often it ends in interceptions, but it also brought him 2 super bowl rings from the wild-card slot.

Alex is too cautious. No guts, no glory. We have seen that for years and years. Now the Chiefs fans will be seeing it.

Alex is risk averse. And that only takes you so far...

Ace Gunner 08-13-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9881084)

that's a broken play -- Hudson got plowed and the guy was in smiff's face when that play was designed to pull the trigger on Baldwin.

Hudson has got to get better than this -- was not impressed.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881176)
Or throw it while you're running. Just a thought.

If he did that he would be throwing across his body, which is a big no-no. Sorry. Not a good throw to try. He tried to rush past the defender, but he wound up just accelerating faster than McCluster LMAO and then there was no play.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881184)
If he did that he would be throwing across his body, which is a big no-no. Sorry. Not a good throw to try. He tried to rush past the defender, but he wound up just accelerating faster than McCluster LMAO and then there was no play.

He accelerated faster than McCluster? At least we know you are blind as **** now.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF08 (Post 9881156)
Simply chucking the ball around to "find out" what he's capable of is ludicrous. This isn't Saturday flag football at the beach.

We're talking about a 10 yard throw to a wide open McCluster.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881177)
GTFO if you think that defender is a problem in making that throw. The problem is Alex Smith being a good ol' boy that doesn't want to entertain the idea of making a mistake and takes the safe route 99.9% of the time.

It was the right call.

Jakemall 08-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Not just the defender in his face..that is part of it...but there is a DB sitting on top watching the whole thing..and he's not 20 yards out...he's not 15 yards out...he's less than 10 and in position to make a play.

If Alex wanted to try and make this play, he'd have to pop it up and short so that his guy could barely make it to the ball. At which point he'd get hit by either the LB that's 5 yards short of him or the DB on top.

It's just not worth it. He made the right call.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881188)
He accelerated faster than McCluster? At least we know you are blind as **** now.

You don't see him try to run around the defender hoping McCluster would be there on the other side and McCluster stays at the same pace?

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9881198)

Not just the defender in his face..that is part of it...but there is a DB sitting on top watching the whole thing..and he's not 20 yards out...he's not 15 yards out...he's less than 10 and in position to make a play.

If Alex wanted to try and make this play, he'd have to pop it up and short so that his guy could barely make it to the ball. At which point he'd get hit by either the LB that's 5 yards short of him or the DB on top.

It's just not worth it. He made the right call.

ROFL

If you think that DB had any play on the ball if it was thrown you're an idiot.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881184)

What you have to do is take the hit.

McCluster is faster than Smith. So it's only across the body once Dex is even with Smith. Smith has to extend his arm for the short flip and take the hit.

Now it's pre-season , so you're not trying to take unnecessary knocks.

So in that respect, I get it. But in terms of a football play?

There's a play to me made there. That's what you guys brought him in to do.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881202)
You don't see him try to run around the defender hoping McCluster would be there on the other side and McCluster stays at the same pace?

You're an idiot.

McCluster is done running at full speed by that point because he's wide the **** open and doing the classic "Throw the ball Casse... I mean Smith!"

Jakemall 08-13-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881205)
ROFL

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-thumbs-up.gif

O.city 08-13-2013 11:17 AM

And that's not throwing across his body btw.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9er guy (Post 9881212)
What you have to do is take the hit.

McCluster is faster than Smith. So it's only across the body once Dex is even with Smith. Smith has to extend his arm for the short flip and take the hit.

Now it's pre-season , so you're not trying to take unnecessary knocks.

So in that respect, I get it. But in terms of a football play?

There's a play to me made there. That's what you guys brought him in to do.

I'm referencing the point that McCluster is circled in the gif, that throw would be across his body since he is running to the right and McCluster is never even with Smith. If Smith slows down to let McCluster even up, he's sacked. If he throws, he throws across his body.

Kaepernick 08-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9881179)
that's a broken play -- Hudson got plowed and the guy was in smiff's face when that play was designed to pull the trigger on Baldwin.

Hudson has got to get better than this -- was not impressed.

I'll buy that, but again, look at Alex's play.

Makes me wonder if he even saw the reciever in midfield or just locked in on the receiver in the end zone all the way.

Sandy Vagina 08-13-2013 11:18 AM

There was still risk in that throw. Why force it and take the chance when you can just set up for a better opportunity on the next play? They had driven the field and Alex didn't want to demoralize his players by taking a risk that results in a tipped pass INT or a ball that sails a little over and right to the DB.

Ripping into a QB for what amounted to a TD drive on the opening and only possession? That's pretty weak and petty.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9881222)
And that's not throwing across his body btw.

Exactly.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881217)
You're an idiot.

McCluster is done running at full speed by that point because he's wide the **** open and doing the classic "Throw the ball Casse... I mean Smith!"

Ha! I wish I could tell what players were thinking just from watching a gif. I'm the idiot? :thumb:

EDIT: If that is the case and McCluster let up on the play, then that play is on him since there could have been a completion once Smith out hustled the defender.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881224)
I'm referencing the point that McCluster is circled in the gif, that throw would be across his body since he is running to the right and McCluster is never even with Smith. If Smith slows down to let McCluster even up, he's sacked. If he throws, he throws across his body.

... Do you even understand that McCluster is running to the sideline and you dont throw at him and instead throw in front of him?

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:20 AM

Kaep would have made that throw. On a ****ing rope.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9881232)
Ha! I wish I could tell what players were thinking just from watching a gif. I'm the idiot? :thumb:

Ya, it's a real mystery what he was thinking by extending his arms out in the universal "I'm open" way.

J Diddy 08-13-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881205)
ROFL

He starts to break on it and stops 5 yards from where McCluster would be if AS threw that ball. Keep in mind he's rolling to his right, arm isn't even cocked, and with 2 defenders in his face. How much zip is he going to put on that to travel 20+ yards that that defender isn't going to make a break on it?

Jakemall 08-13-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9881225)
I'll buy that, but again, look at Alex's play.

Does Alex ever even look to the center of the field for the WR? It looks to me like his is looking to his right all the way. 8 year veteran and it looks to me like he never even SEES the WR in the middle of the field. He seems to be locked in on the receiver to the right, come hell or high water.

If you watch, his head does turn once briefly...so he sees it...or at least I think he does. He made a choice. We can all argue if it was the right choice.

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881233)
... Do you even understand that McCluster is running to the sideline and you dont throw at him and instead throw in front of him?

Yea, like why would you stop and throw it backwards?

The dude is still running a route. There's still a path to the ball.

He's going to either have to plant or throw on the run.

Either way he's probably going to get hit. So I get why he threw it away.

But at some point, if you want the team to be where you're aiming to be, that throw is going to have to be made.

RunKC 08-13-2013 11:22 AM

You can really tell who has actually played football in their life by reading some of the posts in this thread.

Throwing the ball across your body on the run is a terrible idea.

Go look at Peyton Manning's INT in OT that sealed the Broncos season last year. Same exact situation. The difference was that Manning was stupid enough to try to make the throw.

jd1020 08-13-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9881251)
You can really tell who has actually played football in their life by reading some of the posts in this thread.

Go look at Peyton Manning's INT in OT that sealed the Broncos season last year. Same exact situation. The difference was that Manning was stupid enough to try to make the throw.

Nah, the difference was Manning threw across his body whereas Smith wouldn't have.

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Thank you!!

Jakemall 08-13-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9881239)
He starts to break on it and stops 5 yards from where McCluster would be if AS threw that ball. Keep in mind he's rolling to his right, arm isn't even cocked, and with 2 defenders in his face. How much zip is he going to put on that to travel 20+ yards that that defender isn't going to make a break on it?

Alex COULD have made a throw...but it would have to be a floater with a defender in his face and short..so that he could be sure that McCluster would have a step on the DB. McCluster would have been slammed after the catch. It's preseason. And that wasn't 3rd down...he didn't need to force it.

To be fair, The pass I'm talking about would be near the sidelines and wouldn't have been across his body.

Sandy Vagina 08-13-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakemall (Post 9881261)
Alex COULD have made a throw...but it would have to be a floater with a defender in his face and short..so that he could be sure that McCluster would have a step on the DB. McCluster would have been slammed after the catch. It's preseason. And that wasn't 3rd down...he didn't need to force it.

I think some are just ticked off that Alex didn't force a bad play. :)

mdchiefsfan 08-13-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9881259)
Nah, the difference was Manning threw across his body whereas Smith wouldn't have.

ROFL

9er guy 08-13-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

If you look at where McCluster is when he throws the ball out of bounds. There's a path to the right of Smith, not to the left, to throw the ball.

On the Peyton Manning pick, the WR is going the opposite way.

In this clip both guys are traveling in the same direction.

Again, my contention is there is a play to me made, you're just going to have to take a hit right in the chops.

GoChargers 08-13-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9881057)
The sad thing is it doesn't take Manning, Brady or Brees to complete that pass. That is a complete Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton, or Sam Bradford. You know, the average/below average QBs.

To be fair, the new pussified Rivers would manage to do something like this:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/17...rivers_INT.gif