ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports 2013-2014 Official NBA Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275118)

mcaj22 05-21-2014 10:01 PM

Love and Noah would be awesome to watch

The Bad Guy 05-21-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10644527)
Love and Noah would be awesome to watch

No question about it.

The Bad Guy 05-21-2014 10:03 PM

If the Lakers want to even get in the discussion about a trade for Love, they are going to have to take back an absurd contract.

okcchief 05-21-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10644452)
Most of these are light jokes, but there are some legit deals I would gladly take.

Of course, much of it depends if Kevin wants to even play for the team he gets traded to. Hopefully he's not a huge diva about only specific places and can see the value in a couple of these high lottery pick teams that he could go to.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ex_cid=espnsoc

Particular deals I like with teams that Love has supposedly "signed off" on:

Bulls receive: Kevin Love
Wolves receive: Carlos Boozer, Jimmy Butler, the rights to Nikola Mirotic, Ronnie Brewer, Nos. 16 and 19 picks in 2014

Lakers receive: Kevin Love
Wolves receive: Steve Nash, Robert Sacre, Nick Young, MarShon Brooks, No. 7 pick in 2014, future first-round pick, Flip Saunders gets a statue outside Staples Center, Minneapolis Lakers’ title banners

Warriors receive: Kevin Love, Kevin Martin
Wolves receive: David Lee, Harrison Barnes, Klay Thompson, right to swap picks in 2015 and 2016

Also, yes, I know that these long lists rarely happen in the NBA- we'd definitely be looking at a 3-team trade probably.

I like the Golden State one for the Wolves. Hate the Bulls and Lakers ones.

It's definitely time for both parties to move on. No playoff appearances in 6 years. It's not working for anyone involved.

The Bad Guy 05-21-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10644557)

It's definitely time for both parties to move on. No playoff appearances in 6 years. It's not working for anyone involved.

I really dislike the Warriors trade for the Wolves.

Lee is an awful contract for a one-dimensional player that could be breaking down.

Martin and Klay are essentially a wash. You're going to have to pay Klay more than Martin got.

okcchief 05-21-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10644568)
I really dislike the Warriors trade for the Wolves.

Lee is an awful contract for a one-dimensional player that could be breaking down.

Martin and Klay are essentially a wash. You're going to have to pay Klay more than Martin got.

I suppose Lee's contract is an issue.

They aren't going to get a good return I guess when everyone knows they have to trade him.

KevB 05-21-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 10643552)
Im really excited about Orlando getting Exum if Embiid is gone. He reminds me of Penny. Really raw though.

Exum is interesting, but he's not Penny. Penny was more explosive and a better passer. Exum has nice size and can handle though. He'd be a good fit with Oladipo.

RealSNR 05-21-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10644557)

Ideally we'd be trading Love to a team with some high draft picks the next couple of years, but I don't see many teams on that list that would satisfy Love's "I want to win now" tantrum he's throwing.

In any case, yeah, I definitely think both parties needed to move on regardless of whether Love wanted to stay in Minnesota or not. The Wolves aren't going to get anything in a trade worth the top PF in the NBA, but they need to do another rebuild. When they were really sucking eggs from 2006-2011, they simply didn't take advantage of the situation. They could have ended up with a Thunder-like team, but whiffing on Randy Foye, Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, and Derrick Williams made them terrible enough to always prevent Love from getting the job done.

Barring a miraculous infusion of talent off the bench, this was possibly about as good as the Wolves could get with Love. No top free agents would be looking their direction, and I doubt the front office would be able to afford any of them. In the past two seasons when they were trying to load up to help Love get to the playoffs, they were constantly passed on by their top choices in free agency. Too many second choices rounded out the base of this starting team, and that's the killer.

If we can get a haul of draft picks and suck for another year or two, I think we'll end up being a team with a much higher potential than if we had kept Love on the team, as weird as that sounds.

KevB 05-21-2014 11:33 PM

Sucks that Love fell to my Grizzlies with the fifth pick and they proceeded to trade him later that night for OJ Mayo.

I was looking back at the Grizzlies drafts, and I'm left to wonder how on earth they are good.

In 2003, their pick was protected only at #1, otherwise they had to give their pick to Detroit (due to a trade to get Otis Thorpe when they were in Vancouver). I remember being on my knees as Memphis was in the last two of the draft lottery with the Cavs. Oh, that was the LeBron year. And Melo. And Wade. Jerry West has said he'd have taken Wade with the 2nd pick if they would have been able to keep it.

2008, they trade away Kevin Love. In 2009, they take Hasheem Thabeet 2nd, with Harden, Tyreke and Steph Curry all available. And on and on. Conley was drafted and Gasol and ZBo came from trades. Just think if Memphis had a scorer like Harden the last three years (instead of drafting Thabeet).

okcchief 05-22-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10644613)
Ideally we'd be trading Love to a team with some high draft picks the next couple of years, but I don't see many teams on that list that would satisfy Love's "I want to win now" tantrum he's throwing.

In any case, yeah, I definitely think both parties needed to move on regardless of whether Love wanted to stay in Minnesota or not. The Wolves aren't going to get anything in a trade worth the top PF in the NBA, but they need to do another rebuild. When they were really sucking eggs from 2006-2011, they simply didn't take advantage of the situation. They could have ended up with a Thunder-like team, but whiffing on Randy Foye, Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson, and Derrick Williams made them terrible enough to always prevent Love from getting the job done.

Barring a miraculous infusion of talent off the bench, this was possibly about as good as the Wolves could get with Love. No top free agents would be looking their direction, and I doubt the front office would be able to afford any of them. In the past two seasons when they were trying to load up to help Love get to the playoffs, they were constantly passed on by their top choices in free agency. Too many second choices rounded out the base of this starting team, and that's the killer.

If we can get a haul of draft picks and suck for another year or two, I think we'll end up being a team with a much higher potential than if we had kept Love on the team, as weird as that sounds.

I agree.

I also like Joeger. For the second year in a row I'm not sure why Memphis fired their coach. I guess because the Thunders coaching situation is so bad hamburger starts to look like filet minion.

RealSNR 05-22-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10644713)
I agree.

I also like Joeger. For the second year in a row I'm not sure why Memphis fired their coach. I guess because the Thunders coaching situation is so bad hamburger starts to look like filet minion.

Giving up draft picks for a coach is, was, and will always be a stupid idea, especially if you're as far away from contention as the Wolves are.

I'd much rather hire a coach who can bring stability to the organization (like Scott Skiles) than trade picks and cash for an upgrade

lcarus 05-22-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10644611)
Exum is interesting, but he's not Penny. Penny was more explosive and a better passer. Exum has nice size and can handle though. He'd be a good fit with Oladipo.

Yeah but I've heard Exum is a "good" passer. Penny was a really good passer. Exum just reminds me of him because he's a tall lanky guy who can play PG and has an explosive first step. I doubt Embiid will fall (I'd take him #1 if I was Cleveland) and Parker and Wiggins will probably go in the top 3 as well.

okcchief 05-22-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10644845)
Giving up draft picks for a coach is, was, and will always be a stupid idea, especially if you're as far away from contention as the Wolves are.

I'd much rather hire a coach who can bring stability to the organization (like Scott Skiles) than trade picks and cash for an upgrade

Why would they give up picks for Joeger? He was fired right?

RealSNR 05-22-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10645030)
Why would they give up picks for Joeger? He was fired right?

According to ESPN, only the CEO and GM positions have been shaken up in Memphis. The Wolves had to ask permission from the team to interview Joerger, meaning he's still under contract with Memphis.

okcchief 05-22-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10645041)
According to ESPN, only the CEO and GM positions have been shaken up in Memphis. The Wolves had to ask permission from the team to interview Joerger, meaning he's still under contract with Memphis.

Someone had told me they fired him then I saw that headline. I didn't realize he hadn't been fired. So yeah if that's the case no way.