ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

allen_kcCard 01-14-2014 03:42 PM

How else would they have? Cut it shorter and do it before he leaves the mountain? If they go any longer, then he is at Rivertown and there is a lot to have happen before he...stops.

Amnorix 01-14-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10314643)
The guy that comes out of the pub is Peter Jackson, I think. :)

Yep, it is.

Mr. Laz 01-14-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10370093)
Spoiler!

spoiler alert

The Franchise 01-14-2014 05:51 PM

Holy. ****ing. Awesome.

The Franchise 01-14-2014 05:52 PM

What spoilers? He really didn't say anything.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-14-2014 06:06 PM

Going to see it tomorrow. Pretty excited for it.

007 01-14-2014 06:08 PM

Was better than the first film but still nowhere close to any of the LotR films.

The Franchise 01-14-2014 08:25 PM

Seriously.....I'm still blown away at how good it was and how much it exceeded it my expectations. There wasn't any point in the movie that stalled or made me look at my watch.

ThaVirus 01-15-2014 02:48 PM

Had a Hobbit watching marathon last night and this morning- watched Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug. I love the mythology and lore of Middle Earth so these movies were certainly enjoyable. I've never read the books so I can't speak much to how good of an adaptation it is, but there was nothing really terrible that stuck out to me in either movie.

The movie was very well cast and I liked all of the characters, most notably Bilbo. I think hobbits are annoying but he's a very likable guy. Smaug was also awesome.

Spoiler!

I quoted this one because it is something that I was also thinking about during the movie. What exactly is the limit of Gandalf's power? Obviously it greatly fluctuates from The Hobbit series to LOTR (he can vanquish the Balrog but can't hold off a couple orcs and wargs at Dol Goldur?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilas101 (Post 10305860)
Spoiler!

He's a magical being so I wouldn't expect his powers to be defined, I guess. He can and can't do whatever Jackson needs to advance the plot or build tension..

The Franchise 01-15-2014 02:54 PM

By giant fighting mountain dudes....do you mean the trolls that captured the dwarves?

ThaVirus 01-15-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10371751)
By giant fighting mountain dudes....do you mean the trolls that captured the dwarves?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure. Like I said, I watched both movies in about a 12 hours time frame and I'm having trouble remembering which scenes were in which movie.

They (the dwarves and Bilbo) were on the side of a mountain pass and all of a sudden boulders started crashing everywhere around them. They look up to find huge, humanoid mountain creatures going at it.

I think that was right before they were captured by the goblins..?

The Franchise 01-15-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10371755)
I'm sorry but I'm not sure. Like I said, I watched both movies in about a 12 hours time frame and I'm having trouble remembering which scenes were in which movie.

They (the dwarves and Bilbo) were on the side of a mountain pass and all of a sudden boulders started crashing everywhere around them. They look up to find huge, humanoid mountain creatures going at it.

I think that was right before they were captured by the goblins..?

You mean these guys?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/TuVK6.jpg

The Franchise 01-15-2014 03:02 PM

This is from the book:

Quote:

"All was well, until one day they met a thunderstorm—more than a thunderstorm, a thunder-battle. You know how terrific a really big thunderstorm can be down in the land and in a river-valley; especially at times when two great thunderstorms meet and class. More terrible still are thunder and lightning in the mountains at night, when storms come up from East and West and make war. The lightning splinters on the peaks, and rocks shiver, and great crashes split the air and go rolling in tumbling into every cave and hollow; and darkness is filled with overwhelming noise and sudden light. Bilbo ... saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang ... they could hear the giants guffawing and shouting all over the mountainsides."

ThaVirus 01-15-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10371758)

Yep, that's what I was referring to. It was in Unexpected Journey; I remember now.

It didn't do anything to further the plot but I'm assuming it was just a nod to the book. A little bit of fan service.

The Franchise 01-15-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10371792)
Yep, that's what I was referring to. It was in Unexpected Journey; I remember now.

It didn't do anything to further the plot but I'm assuming it was just a nod to the book. A little bit of fan service.

All this.