ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Avengers 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273151)

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11268387)
I loved Avengers at first but after each additional viewing with my kids I realized I was really wrong. It doesn't hold up to multiple viewings and it is really hacked together to get as much shit in as possible. MoS was a slow mover that took time to find its way but as a whole was a MUCH better story and more entertaining. For lack of a better term, it was much more realistic to how I would see a real Superman being. Was the fight WAAAAY too long? Yeah, but I can forgive that with the story being well told.

The Avengers was so bad that I made the decision to avoid Thor 2, The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3. The first 15 episodes of SHIELD also played into those decisions.

But I must say, I ordered Winter Soldier on DVD and it was great. Really, really good. Iron Man 3, IMO, was just awesome, which I didn't see until it was on Starz late last year.

But Thor 2 just didn't do it for me. Thor had promise but somewhere along the line, whether it was the script or Alan Taylor, Thor 2 was weak (although nowhere near as weak as Iron Man 2) and I'm glad I waited for cable.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Marvel film I've seen.

Hammock Parties 01-14-2015 01:48 AM

There are no bad RDJ movies, sorry.

That includes The Avengers.

007 01-14-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11268393)
The Avengers was so bad that I made the decision to avoid Thor 2, The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3. The first 15 episodes of SHIELD also played into those decisions.

But I must say, I ordered Winter Soldier on DVD and it was great. Really, really good. Iron Man 3, IMO, was just awesome, which I didn't see until it was in Starz late last year.

But Thor 2 just didn't do it for me. Thor had promise but somewhere along the line, whether it was the script or Alan Taylor, Thor 2 was weak (although nowhere near as weak as Iron Man 2) and I'm glad I waited for cable.

I really enjoyed Winter Soldier, but like Avengers, it isn't holding up to multiple viewings for me. For some reason, I can watch both Thor movies multiple times even though the stories aren't that great. I think I just like the cast in them and of course Loki.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbah One (Post 11268394)
There are no bad RDJ movies, sorry.

That includes The Avengers.

It's a bad movie. He doesn't get nearly enough screen time and when he is on screen, his charisma blinds the other actors, save for Ruffalo, who IMO, is the perfect Bruce Banner.

I was not familiar with Whedon's work whatsoever and was shocked because IMO, he came across as a hack.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11268395)
I really enjoyed Winter Soldier, but like Avengers, it isn't holding up to multiple viewings for me. For some reason, I can watch both Thor movies multiple times even though the stories aren't that great. I think I just like the cast in them and of course Loki.

I keep expecting Hemsworth to have some sort of breakout role but so far, he's just a pretty face. Thor was okay, T2 okay and Snow White really disappointing.

Hopefully, he's great in Ron Howard's new film but I've yet to see him actually act. He just seems like a good looking guy that's always the same, just saying lines.

I need to see him suffer, emotionally or physically.

Direckshun 01-14-2015 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11268393)

But I must say, I ordered Winter Soldier on DVD and it was great. Really, really good. Iron Man 3, IMO, was just awesome, which I didn't see until it was on Starz late last year.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Marvel film I've seen.

Agreed on Thor 2. Especially because I thought Thor is the best Marvel film to date.

Rausch 01-14-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11268404)
Agreed on Thor 2. Especially because I thought Thor is the best Marvel film to date.

Thor 2 would have been much better if the story just stayed in his home world. And the only reason it didn't completely bore me was Loki.

I didn't like IM3 at all. The first act was great, seeing a more emotional and growing Stark was perfect, and then the extremis/Mandarin thing lost me. Just dumb.

To me the weak parts in Avengers were the generic Transformer ships and aliens. Just a mess of cgi for the Avengers to throw around.

And Banner should have been used more. The updated approach to Banner/Hulk (transforms at will) makes Banner a more interesting character. And the Hulk really hasn't been a stupid beast for the better part of the last 20 years.

Fish 01-14-2015 08:37 AM

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion regarding movies. But critics and the general populace both agree that Avengers was hands down a much better movie and it's not even close.

http://i57.tinypic.com/fck5zd.png

Swanman 01-14-2015 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11268404)

I just finished up Thor 2 and while it was entertaining, it really got annoying how they kept trying to shoehorn comedy into the movie. You have a being that is trying to destroy the universe and they were trying to fit in jokes even during the final battle scene.

Winter Soldier was near perfect in its tone. It had a few laughs but overall kept the tone right where it needed to be. Guardians did that as well, with a much more comedic and fun tone.

lawrenceRaider 01-14-2015 10:20 AM

I didn't enjoy Winter Soldier that much, though I may have to watch it again to see if it was just a wrong mood for the movie kind of thing. Really enjoyed the cheese of the first Cap movie. Dig Avengers. Dig Man of Steel. Thor 2 was better for me on a second watching, though the first one was much better to me. Guardians was easily the best Marvel movie. Looking forward to more Marvel goodness. Hope that Marvel gets control of Spiderman and Fantasic Four back soon (yes I know that's unlikely).

Buehler445 01-14-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11268397)
It's a bad movie. He doesn't get nearly enough screen time and when he is on screen, his charisma blinds the other actors, save for Ruffalo, who IMO, is the perfect Bruce Banner.

I was not familiar with Whedon's work whatsoever and was shocked because IMO, he came across as a hack.

I guess I'm a simple mind. There isn't a Marvel film that I didn't enjoy and really enjoyed most of them.

As for Whedon, give him a look. If you haven't seen Dollhouse and Firefly, do it now. Firefly is pretty cheaply made and it shows, but it is damn fine cinema.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11268400)
I keep expecting Hemsworth to have some sort of breakout role but so far, he's just a pretty face. Thor was okay, T2 okay and Snow White really disappointing.

Hopefully, he's great in Ron Howard's new film but I've yet to see him actually act. He just seems like a good looking guy that's always the same, just saying lines.

I need to see him suffer, emotionally or physically.

I think Hemsworth is a good actor. In fact, I thought he and Theron were the ONLY watchable parts of Snow White. Kristen Stewart IMO, shit all over...**** she shit all over everything ever. I thought his monologue after she "died" was really good.

Did you see Rush? I thought he did really well in that role and it was pretty nuanced. I picked up the competitiveness and pain through the playboy crap. If you haven't seen Rush, do so.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11268656)
Did you see Rush? I thought he did really well in that role and it was pretty nuanced. I picked up the competitiveness and pain through the playboy crap. If you haven't seen Rush, do so.

I'll definitely catch it when it comes to premium cable.

I don't dislike Hemsworth. He's a big, charismatic, charming guy onscreen and off. I've actually liked his interviews better than his films. He's really young in terms of being a leading man and carrying a movie so hopefully at some point, it'll all come together for him.

In the Heart of the Sea
is his next big film and I hope he's great. It's the true story of whale versus the ship that inspired a young Herman Melville to write Moby Dick. My only worry is that it'll become a VFX mess but I'm not going to trip until the reviews come in.

The Franchise 01-14-2015 10:51 AM

The only Marvel movie that I came out of thinking 'meh' was Iron Man 3. First half was decent and then the movie just tanked.

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 11268653)
I didn't enjoy Winter Soldier that much, though I may have to watch it again to see if it was just a wrong mood for the movie kind of thing. Really enjoyed the cheese of the first Cap movie.

Interesting. I'm the exact opposite. The first Captain America felt slow to me. I've watched it a few times and it just seems to drag and drag on. Winter Soldier was fast paced. I liked how the story tied into Rogers' past, really liked Black Widow and of course, the credit teaser was awesome.

Redford and Anthony Mackie were great, too. Who would have ever expected Redford to do a Marvel film?

DaneMcCloud 01-14-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky McElephant (Post 11268731)
The only Marvel movie that I came out of thinking 'meh' was Iron Man 3. First half was decent and then the movie just tanked.

As someone who never read the comics, I thought it was strong throughout. I've read countless posts like yours from people that felt The Mandarin routine was a copout and disappointing but from my perspective, someone completely unfamiliar the back story, I thought it was great. I really liked how Stark is back to zero at the end of the film.