ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Miami booster scandal, with Frank Haith mentioned. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248568)

DJ's left nut 08-18-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833100)
who cares?

is haith innocent until proven guilty? or are we taking the word of a convicted felon that is going to serve a long prison stretch? is there tape of haith supposedly "acknowledging" any kind of payment?

the president of the U is also in pictures with the booster in question. does that mean that any allegations that he spouts about her are true as well?

i didn't like the hire when it happened, and i'm still sour on it, but i'll let the NCAA do their investigation and see how it bears out.

Who cares? Really?

How about every major recruit that Haith pursues for the next 24 months? How about the head of every major conference that sees "Haith, now at Missouri...." scroll across the ESPN ticker on an endless loop. How about the recruiters at every major school in the country that is chasing one of our guys, that will absolutely barbecue Haith (and by extension, Mizzou), if not to the recruits, at least to their families.

Here, Bernie pretty much covers it:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...MrNaQw.twitter

You absolutely cannot be this naive.

He needs to go.

the Talking Can 08-18-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833100)
who cares?

is haith innocent until proven guilty? or are we taking the word of a convicted felon that is going to serve a long prison stretch? is there tape of haith supposedly "acknowledging" any kind of payment?

the president of the U is also in pictures with the booster in question. does that mean that any allegations that he spouts about her are true as well?

i didn't like the hire when it happened, and i'm still sour on it, but i'll let the NCAA do their investigation and see how it bears out.

fans....god bless em

phisherman 08-18-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7833113)
fans....god bless em

you can say that all you want, but i would say the same thing about any other coach, at any other school.

the only truly naive people are the ones that believe that this kind of stuff doesn't happen at EVERY school. i went to both NWMSU and CMSU in college and i can tell you right now, i saw money being passed to athletes with my own eyes. i had fraternity brothers on the football team and basketball team at both schools and "hundred dollar handshakes" were pretty common, as well as new TVs, nice "temporary" vehicles, etc.

i'd wager that if the right person talked, both MU and KU could be on the front page tomorrow, with similar headlines.

no one is truly clean in this game. pardon me if i'm not ready to kick a coach out the door solely because of the words of a convicted ponzi scheme felon, that's going to spend a long time in prison.

DJ's left nut 08-18-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833179)
you can say that all you want, but i would say the same thing about any other coach, at any other school.

the only truly naive people are the ones that believe that this kind of stuff doesn't happen at EVERY school. i went to both NWMSU and CMSU in college and i can tell you right now, i saw money being passed to athletes with my own eyes. i had fraternity brothers on the football team and basketball team at both schools and "hundred dollar handshakes" were pretty common, as well as new TVs, nice "temporary" vehicles, etc.

i'd wager that if the right person talked, both MU and KU could be on the front page tomorrow, with similar headlines.

no one is truly clean in this game.

That's all well and good, but right now it's Frank Haith's that getting excoriated on a national level and it's the University of Missouri that keeps getting associated with him.

Rightly or wrongly, this is a smudge on the University.

the Talking Can 08-18-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

fans, god bless em

Brock 08-18-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, things like this probably do go on everywhere. But it isn't discovered everywhere, and when it is discovered, people have to lose their jobs. If Missouri cares at all about the perception of their athletic department, they can't keep this guy around.

SAUTO 08-18-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7833188)
Yes, things like this probably do go on everywhere. But it isn't discovered everywhere, and when it is discovered, people have to lose their jobs. If Missouri cares at all about the perception of their athletic department, they can't keep this guy around.

IMO the same could be said about alden

ChiefsCountry 08-18-2011 10:06 AM

And even with all the scandals with men's basketball at Mizzou, the athletic department has never been stronger.

phisherman 08-18-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7833188)

i don't disagree with you, at the minimum because of public perception and the recruiting issues that could arise.

just seems that if this coach was a more known commodity or bigger name, maybe he would be given the benefit of the doubt.

i've said before in this thread that i wasn't a fan of the hire and still am not, but to string this guy up because of something a felon said seems to be a tad premature.

it's great to see other posters marginalizing others just because they think their opinion is somehow more informed. c'est la vie.

DJ's left nut 08-18-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833294)
i don't disagree with you, at the minimum because of public perception and the recruiting issues that could arise.

just seems that if this coach was a more known commodity or bigger name, maybe he would be given the benefit of the doubt.

i've said before in this thread that i wasn't a fan of the hire and still am not, but to string this guy up because of something a felon said seems to be a tad premature.

it's great to see other posters marginalizing others just because they think their opinion is somehow more informed. c'est la vie.

How 'bout the fact that there are credit card receipts and phone records indicating at least 85 calls and texts over a period of a few years between Haith and Shapiro?

Or the corroborating witness to the strip club incident?

Or the alarming amount of corroboration for the other allegations made by Shapiro throughout this story, including some of the players confirming the allegations. Is he just making things up as they relate to Haith?

This is a HELL of a lot more than just "something a felon said."

The NCAA will absolutely burn Frank Haith before all is said and done here. Even if it doesn't, the damage that has been done to Haith's reputation as a man of character has been massive.

Don't disregard what's truly happening here. Charles Robinson, the guy that has now smoked 3 major universities and has built his reputation as a very thorough and accurate investigator, has felt it appropriate to stake his reputation as a journalist on the claims of Nevin Shapiro. Many of these claims, if not most of them, have been corroborated by extrinsic evidence or collateral sources.

This is a major MAJOR blow to the reputation of Frank Haith and by extension, his employer.

And if you can't see that, I have no problem at all marginalizing your opinion because my opinion clearly is more informed - or at least less naive.

eazyb81 08-18-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Probably true, but this was a risky hire to begin with. If this were Calipari, Izzo, or even Self, the school might be more likely to deal with some poor PR for a bit.

But Haith already has two strikes against him before he's even coached a game: 1) poor past performance and 2) named in a massive pay for play scandal.

the Talking Can 08-18-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

you don't appear to have even read the article....or the 2 dozen individual pages setup to display the documentary evidence related to each person named...

it's the most thoroughly sourced investigative piece about booster malfeasance probably ever....

but hey, I'm sure your uninformed, head in the sand, fanboi opinion is probably closer to the truth....

phisherman 08-18-2011 11:03 AM

sorry man, i just don't think that call records or strip club receipts prove intent in any way. since when is it against NCAA rules to go to a strip club with a booster or talk to one on the phone? maybe i'm missing something, but those don't seem like a legitimate smoking fun, at least in my eyes. perhaps NCAA investigators will feel differently.

and by the way, i never claimed that everything was on the level and i've agreed that it's a massive PR hit. i'm just a realist.

i don't see the fanboy slant The Talking Can keeps referring to. i like to have solid proof before i go off the deep end demanding firings.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-18-2011 11:03 AM

Keeping Haith will completely destroy the basketball program. The hire has now probably set us back 3-5 years. You can't let it be ten. Fire him and fire the idiot who thought he was worth the job in the first place (he wasn't) for his supposed values and recruiting ability (he has none).

You can't whiff more badly than this.

the Talking Can 08-18-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833372)
sorry man, i just don't think that call records or strip club receipts prove intent in any way. since when is it against NCAA rules to go to a strip club with a booster or talk to one on the phone? maybe i'm missing something, but those don't seem like a legitimate smoking fun, at least in my eyes. perhaps NCAA investigators will feel differently.

and by the way, i never claimed that everything was on the level and i've agreed that it's a massive PR hit. i'm just a realist.

i don't see the fanboy slant The Talking Can keeps referring to. i like to have solid proof before i go off the deep end demanding firings.

no, you're just like the realist osu fans who think ESPN exists for the sole purpose of making stuff up about osu....