ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Hobbit (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252015)

JD10367 12-13-2012 11:27 AM

Watched my IMAX Digital print this morning. Pretty good flick. I'm not a die-hard Tolkien fan; I read the three "LOTR" books and "Hobbit", once, a long time ago, and found them interesting but tediously written and over-long (which is also how I found the three Peter Jackson "LOTR" films). This one, for Peter Jackson, clocks in at a svelte 2:39, and I was not really bored. When I first heard it would be three films for one book I thought it was more Peter Jackson stupidity but, after seeing this film, I didn't find anything extraneous in it... he told, in 2:39, all that could be told in that time.

If you don't know Tolkien, you might find it a bit silly (rabbits pulling a sleigh with a half-crazed wizard on it? giant birds?). If you like Tolkien a bit, you'll love it. If you love Tolkien, you might be too busy pulling apart plot points ("That wasn't in the book!"). But I think most will be satisfied.

Surprisingly, I found the IMAX Digital image to be a bit blurry and strobe-y. Perhaps I'm already mentally comparing it to the HFR stuff I've seen. From watching the whole film, I think the long-shot vistas in HFR will be stunning, and the action scenes will also be stunning but perhaps vertigo-inducing. I think I'll come in early tomorrow morning and watch it for comparison's sake.

By the way, the 10-minute "Star Trek Into Darkness" prologue was in 3D, and awesome. As was the #3 version of the "Man Of Steel 3D" trailer. Both those films look to be kick-ass.

RustShack 12-13-2012 04:46 PM

Just got done watching all three extended versions of LOTR, amped for tonight!

Sure-Oz 12-13-2012 10:44 PM

I had a free ticket from friends but i was like '**** that'.

5am calls to early for me

Hammock Parties 12-13-2012 11:08 PM

Alright, heading off to The Shire. Will report back.

KcMizzou 12-13-2012 11:41 PM

I'm way too excited for this movie. Geeking out.

Probably wont see it 'till next weekend, though.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2012 04:15 AM

I laughed, I cried, I fistpumped for Gandalf.

Peter Jackson can do no wrong.

Hobbits really are amazing creatures.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2012 04:20 AM

I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE TO WAIT A ****ING YEAR FOR THE 2ND PART

**** YOU PETER

Hammock Parties 12-14-2012 04:22 AM

Basically I couldn't stop crying tears of joy and wonder throughout this whole thing.

Jesus ****ing Christ Peter Jackson is a god.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2012 04:24 AM

This is the amazing thing about Peter Jackson. This scene is in the movie.

Quote:

In The Hobbit, Thorin Oakenshield and his company of dwarves found Orcrist and Glamdring in the cave of the three trolls, and Thorin claimed it as his own, while Gandalf claimed Glamdring.[2]

Thorin bore Orcrist throughout most of The Quest of Erebor. It, and Glamdring, was used against the goblins of the Misty Mountains, when they captured the group, yet again renewing their hatred of the elvish weapons
The whole movie is basically a Tolkien fanboy wet dream.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2012 04:45 AM

All I could think of when Gandalf found Orcrist, Glamdring and Sting was EPIC LOOTS EPIC LOOTS EPIC LOOTS

Deberg_1990 12-14-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9206905)
Basically I couldn't stop crying tears of joy and wonder throughout this whole thing.

:facepalm:

Did you see the 48FPS version?

munkey 12-14-2012 03:57 PM

I'm sorry but I have no desire to see this movie...whatsoever...just not interested.

NewChief 12-14-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 9208600)
I'm sorry but I have no desire to see this movie...whatsoever...just not interested.

The Hobbit is the first book I actually remember reading, and it being mine. I was in like 3rd grade, and the librarian gave it to me because I was a voracious reader.

The funny thing is that I was a voracious reader, but I don't remember any book I read prior to that one. Just like with the Lord of the Rings, I will watch this movie because the work it's based on is a major part of the person I am today.

The Franchise 12-14-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9206906)

The whole movie is basically a Tolkien fanboy wet dream.

:drool:

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

munkey 12-14-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9208706)
The Hobbit is the first book I actually remember reading, and it being mine. I was in like 3rd grade, and the librarian gave it to me because I was a voracious reader.

The funny thing is that I was a voracious reader, but I don't remember any book I read prior to that one. Just like with the Lord of the Rings, I will watch this movie because the work it's based on is a major part of the person I am today.

I'm with you...Same age...played D&D and read the hobbit as a kid...I think I'm just burned out on the whole sequel/prequel thing. Jackson should have started with the hobbit and moved on....