ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Snowing again ... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271309)

BigMeatballDave 05-02-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9651900)
That's a redundant statement when you are in Amarillo.

:) I'm not familiar with the area. I'm delivering a load of water to Coca Cola.

ChiTown 05-02-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9651968)
:) I'm not familiar with the area. I'm delivering a load of water to Coca Cola.

When I was a kid, my Dad told me how he was stationed, for a very short while, in Amarillo at the AFB during WWII. He would go on and on and on about how windy it was there. I had to travel there for business in the last several years, and it was every bit as bad as my Dad described it. That wind is angry and it's non-stop. Awful place, that West Texas panhandle landscape.....

notorious 05-02-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9651880)
It was me. Sorry guys.

It's not the snow. I don't think it got cold enough last night to cause any damage. And the snow helps insulate the growing point from frost (as crazy as that sounds, ice does insulate from cold).

It's ****ing tonight. Intellicast is calling for 23 degrees. That's too much.

I'm not overly worried about it at this point. The 48 hours under 25 on April 10th crushed most of my wheat. I've got a few fields that still have some decent yield potential (in the event it ever rains), but most of the acreage has a very low yield potential at this point.

I'm just happy for the little bit of moisture that came. My corn/milo still has some potential.

Wheat is completely ****ed down here, and with corn going in late we will prob get caught trying to harvest with snow on the ground.

Buehler445 05-02-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9652036)
Wheat is completely ****ed down here, and with corn going in late we will prob get caught trying to harvest with snow on the ground.

BUT...It was so blasted hot at this time last year, that I'm hoping the weather is completely opposite of last year, meaning we get a wet ass summer.

/holding out hope.

Dave Lane 05-02-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9513792)
80 and sunny here.

I just watched a butterfly going from flower to flower a few minutes ago.

That was called yesterday.

lcarus 05-02-2013 09:19 AM

****ing Tulsa weather has been crazy. I swear, it's 75-85 one day, 35-45 the next. And that's repeated for about 2 months. And it's always windy as hell here.

Radar Chief 05-02-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9652011)
When I was a kid, my Dad told me how he was stationed, for a very short while, in Amarillo at the AFB during WWII. He would go on and on and on about how windy it was there. I had to travel there for business in the last several years, and it was every bit as bad as my Dad described it. That wind is angry and it's non-stop. Awful place, that West Texas panhandle landscape.....

Mesquite and rocks, with a prickly pear every once in a while.
Whatever dirt is either hard pan or air borne.

notorious 05-02-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9652047)
BUT...It was so blasted hot at this time last year, that I'm hoping the weather is completely opposite of last year, meaning we get a wet ass summer.

/holding out hope.

If we manage to get just an average rain year like in the 90s we wil see record crops here. This drought has been horrific. Even our buffalo grass at the farm and at my house is 80% dead.

I laugh at my friends down in Oklahoma and eastern Kansas when they bitch about it being dry.

ChiTown 05-02-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9652079)
Mesquite and rocks, with a prickly pear every once in a while.
Whatever dirt is either hard pan or air borne.

You live there, or just had the Pleasure of a brief stay in the Amarillo area?

bevischief 05-02-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9652064)
****ing Tulsa weather has been crazy. I swear, it's 75-85 one day, 35-45 the next. And that's repeated for about 2 months. And it's always windy as hell here.

That's Oklahoma.

DaFace 05-02-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9652170)
That's Oklahoma.

That's a majority of the states in the country.

Radar Chief 05-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9652158)
You live there, or just had the Pleasure of a brief stay in the Amarillo area?

Lived in Liberal, KS for a several months, then stationed in west Texas for a year. Made several trips to/through Amarillo so I know the area you’re talking about.

Mr. Laz 05-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9652064)

I lived in Tulsa for 3/4 years and i seem to remember that it's pretty much always like that.

rains in the afternoon for an hour each day even if it's perfectly clear the rest of the time. LMAO

sybil weather

Frosty 05-02-2013 10:25 AM

The only part of Texas I've ever been in is Dalhart, which is NW of Amarillo. My main impression of it was miles and miles of feedlots (and the accompanying smell) and red dirt blowing 50 mph sideways.

Ugly.

notorious 05-02-2013 10:28 AM

Tulsa weather is awesome compared to here.

Why did I move away from Tulsa again? :facepalm: