ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Sleepy Hollow (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273051)

DaneMcCloud 10-03-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10043943)

I wish networks would just do what fox eventually did with 24 and air the episodes non stop.

That requires a shit ton of money, a huge audience, cast members that don't mind working non-stop for months AND be immediately available for re-shoots.

It's just not very feasible.

007 10-03-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10043958)
That requires a shit ton of money, a huge audience, cast members that don't mind working non-stop for months AND be immediately available for re-shoots.

It's just not very feasible.

I understand that. Its just a wish is all. I hate long hiatuses.

keg in kc 10-03-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

NBC shot themselves in the foot by putting the show on hiatus for FOUR ****ing months.

That's a valid argument, but I think Revolution in general was just a bad show. I know I quit watching long before the hiatus. I tried to sit through the finale in May, and thought it was just awful. I haven't watched any of this season, so I don't know what may or may not have changed.

DaneMcCloud 10-03-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10043961)
I understand that. Its just a wish is all. I hate long hiatuses.

I get it. These days, I find it far more enjoyable to watch an entire season or seasons on consecutive nights as opposed to once a week.

I watched 24, the first two seasons of Lost, season two of Homeland and Justified's first three seasons on consecutive nights and found them far more enjoyable than once a week for 13 or 24 weeks.

keg in kc 10-03-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10043979)
I get it. These days, I find it far more enjoyable to watch an entire season or seasons on consecutive nights as opposed to once a week.

I watched 24, the first two seasons of Lost, season two of Homeland and Justified's first three seasons on consecutive nights and found them far more enjoyable than once a week for 13 or 24 weeks.

A lot of us do that. I know I currently have the full season for GoT (still) waiting on my DVR. Recently watched all of The Wire and Deadwood on HBOGo.

With me it started in the late 90s, when the combination of video codec technology and greater bandwidth led to the ability to start downloading (not legally, then...) larger format stuff. I think the introduction of DVD was big as well, giving you the ability to have a full season or even series on a small, easy-to-store medium (and many of these were ripped onto the internet - you didn't have to be able to convert VHS to a digital format...). Now with DVR and streaming and Blu-ray there's really no reason to limit yourself to a network schedule. And I think a big part of it is also the change we've seen in the same time frame to a more serial kind of storytelling on television. There are less self-contained shows (or dramas at least) and more shows where you're invested week-to-week in a season-long ongoing arc. Which I think plays better in a single-sitting or viewing over a few days, rather than stretching it over 8 or 9 months.

Call me impatient. :)

Hell, even with the stuff I watch regularly, a lot of the time I'll wait and watch a month's worth of episodes at once, rather than watching every week. Doing it with The Bridge today, in fact.

007 10-03-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10043979)

I would like to do that but I hate being a year behind on my shows.

Deberg_1990 10-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

NBC shot themselves in the foot by putting the show on hiatus for FOUR ****ing months.

I wish networks would just do what fox eventually did with 24 and air the episodes non stop.

A lot of shows are doing that split season format now. Walking Dead is one of them. If the show is good, the audience will come back. Revolution lost its audience because it sucks.

keg in kc 10-03-2013 04:45 PM

Good shows can lose audience that way, too. Not a network show, but that was one of the reasons Battlestar Galactica's ratings struggled from season to season. I think USA has it figured out, they're giving all their (established) shows longer seasons and breaking them up so they aren't off the air longer than a few months.

keg in kc 10-03-2013 04:55 PM

Lost in this is that Sleepy Hollow didn't get an order for a back 9, they're sticking with 13 eps, and the 2nd season order is also 13. So cable-length, like Hannibal. Interesting.

Add to this the straight-to-series order for Gotham, and the announcement that David Tennant will be starring on Fox in a US version of Broadchurch (also a short season), and Fox is getting a jump on putting next season together already.

007 10-03-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10044324)
Lost in this is that Sleepy Hollow didn't get an order for a back 9, they're sticking with 13 eps, and the 2nd season order is also 13. So cable-length, like Hannibal. Interesting.

Add to this the straight-to-series order for Gotham, and the announcement that David Tennant will be starring on Fox in a US version of Broadchurch (also a short season), and Fox is getting a jump on putting next season together already.

I would be OK with 13 ep seasons if they will air them 13 weeks in a row.

chiefsfan987 10-04-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10043938)
Well if it means anything, I have liked it so far.

I like it too. I was actually surprised so many on here have given it such negative reviews.

whoman69 10-07-2013 10:29 PM

I thought tonight's episode was a little better. It had a bit of the National Treasure feel and more detective work involved.

007 10-08-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10062553)
I thought tonight's episode was a little better. It had a bit of the National Treasure feel and more detective work involved.

Yeah, it did have more of a NT feel to it but the CGI.... ugh. LMAO

whoman69 10-08-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10062743)
Yeah, it did have more of a NT feel to it but the CGI.... ugh. LMAO

You're too pampered. Story is much more important than visual bells and whistles.

007 10-08-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10062988)
You're too pampered. Story is much more important than visual bells and whistles.

Oh I agree, but that ending CGI was just LMAO