ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Oklahoma Joes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278654)

rabblerouser 03-10-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12221911)
That's usually what i get.

Ends or the sammich?

BWillie 03-10-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16184860)
Shots fired!!

https://www.southernliving.com/south...b-c9b052ecab35

Oklahoma Joes still wins, . . in Oklahoma [Kansas ins't considered a Southern state]

I eat there whenever I go to the Great Blue Whale of Catoosa. Its pretty good but nowhere near as good as the real KC Joes.

Shiver Me Timbers 03-10-2022 09:41 PM

I ate at Mumphord's Place in Victoria Texas 6 months ago. I love brisket. Franklins in Austin is my bar. Joe is a close second. These guys in Victoria got it figured out. Had Burnt ends and some slices. As I was leaving (Ricky one of the owners) handed me a slice of smoked turkey breast. Off the charts. Highly recommended. top 2 or 3 in my book. Them gents down south do know how smoke.

TimBone 03-11-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10191959)
Call it in before you get there, them go to the front of the line to pick it up.

Winning

I know I'm replying to this years later, but this specific post saved me from standing in line multiple times following this thread.

bdj23 03-11-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 16185106)
Ends or the sammich?

Last time I had q39 they were out of burnt ends as a stand alone dish, but I got that sandwich with em.

Dunerdr 03-11-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 16185159)
I eat there whenever I go to the Great Blue Whale of Catoosa. Its pretty good but nowhere near as good as the real KC Joes.

It's not even close to joes of KC. And stay the hell away from our whale.

MTG#10 03-19-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16184860)
Shots fired!!

https://www.southernliving.com/south...b-c9b052ecab35

Oklahoma Joes still wins, . . in Oklahoma [Kansas ins't considered a Southern state]

I was in STL last night for the Tool concert so decided to try it today. Line out the door so I was excited...until I got the food. Completely underwhelming, I've had better Q in Springfield than theirs. Even their so-called "best in the country" ribs were just okay.

rabblerouser 03-19-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 16202222)
I was in STL last night for the Tool concert so decided to try it today. Line out the door so I was excited...until I got the food. Completely underwhelming, I've had better Q in Springfield than theirs. Even their so-called "best in the country" ribs were just okay.

Yeah you must've caught them on a bad day. I've eaten there several times and it's usually on piint...but not even the best in Missouri.

MTG#10 03-19-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 16202305)
Yeah you must've caught them on a bad day. I've eaten there several times and it's usually on piint...but not even the best in Missouri.

It wasn't bad, just not anything special. The meat was freshly cooked and tender but had little to no smoke flavor at all, and was even a bit bland...like they forgot the rub or didn't use much at all. It may be the best in STL, but wasn't worthy of comparison to Joe's, Q39, or even City Butcher in Spfd.

Baby Lee 03-19-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 16202222)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 16202305)

Truth be told, I'd characterize Pappy's as . . . Solid. Not the best, but rarely the worst. Their meat is on point, but their sauce is trash, relatively.

Their red-hot is a nice touch, similar to how the cheesy jalapeno smoked sausage at Brobecks sets it apart.

The irony is, they're also not my favorite restaurant in the ****ing building. Right next door is Southern, serving up the best hot chicken and homestyle sides for a good 1/2 day's drive. Wish I'd known you were in that area, I would have recommended Southern highly. It's not just the chicken, which is amazing, their sides are amazing. Each has that certain touch that tells you they could only come from there. Just the right spice, just the right texture, just the right everything.

As for best in state, I'd say Sugarfire is the biggest threat to KC dominance. They have sauces for every palate, from Carolina mustard, to Hot and Spicy, to Thick and Sweet, even that White Cum Shit people are putting on chicken nowadays. Their hottest sauce is a little sweet and a little thick, but also made with habernero, and is one of the best sauces I've had outside Night of the Living. . .

And they have a carousel of 'daily' sides, that vary and sometimes are experimental. They always have the usual, fries, potato salad, slaw, etc. But one time they had charred brussels sprouted that then were slow cooked with burnt ends. You never know what they're gonna offer. They also offer pork belly hush puppies and smoked, then deep fried artichokes. And the downtown has Whiskey and Scotch for DAYS. I'm talking a whole 'nother book of just brown liquor options.