ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Megadeth > Metallica (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280999)

htismaqe 03-13-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10487354)
Saw Ozzy a couple of years ago when Slash and Miles Kennedy opened for him (They kicked ass, btw. That would have been a hell of a concert in and of itself). I swear Ozzy was auto tuned in every single song. Was sad to hear.

Not surprising. Ozzy's priorities are mixed up.

What he did with the "Blizzard" re-issue was one of the lowest things I've ever seen in the metal world...

Bowser 03-13-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10487728)
Not surprising. Ozzy's priorities are mixed up.

What he did with the "Blizzard" re-issue was one of the lowest things I've ever seen in the metal world...

Yeah, what was the story on that? Did he bring in his own band to remix the sounds and not pay the original musicians anything on the re-release? Something along those lines? And that's not even taking into account how he compensates his current band, or his dealings with Bill Ward with the latest Sabbath projects....

I'm not so sure that it's not Sharon behind the scenes just sticking it to absolutely everybody she can lay her hands on.

Frosty 03-13-2014 01:24 PM

It's funny. I was really into metal/hard rock/classic rock in high school up through the mid-80's. I wasn't a huge Black Sabbath fan until Dio joined but loved Ozzy's first two albums and saw him for both the "Speak of the Devil" tour and the "Bark at the Moon" tour. I was also really into a lot of the NWOBHM bands, particularly the "goth-y" ones like Holocaust, Demon and Angel Witch.

By the mid-80's, about the time "ultimate Sin" comes out, I drifted away from metal as I was getting bored with the direction it was going. In fact, one of the last records I bought was "Kill 'Em All" by some unknown band.

Fast forward way too many years and my oldest son finds my old metal and classic rock records. He becomes a huge Zeppelin, Sabbath, Ozzy and Metallica fan and buys up all of the stuff that I didn't have.

It was kind of a crash course in getting caught up. I was so out of the loop that I hadn't realized that Dio had made a third Sabbath album (not counting as Heaven and Hell) and I hadn't heard any of the later Ozzy or Metallica albums.

Anyway, the point of all of that was that I haven't really cared or even heard about the more recent controversies and mostly I have looked at this through nostalgia so it really doesn't matter to me.

Just to stick with the OP, none of really liked Megadeth, mostly because of the singing. :)

htismaqe 03-13-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10487822)
Yeah, what was the story on that? Did he bring in his own band to remix the sounds and not pay the original musicians anything on the re-release? Something along those lines? And that's not even taking into account how he compensates his current band, or his dealings with Bill Ward with the latest Sabbath projects....

He re-recorded the entire album with his current band. My understanding is that his current band is under a contract that doesn't pay them royalties for music they didn't help "create". Since it was a back catalog re-issue, it was the ONLY version on the market, basically guaranteeing that Ozzy got 100% of the cut.

And if screwing Daisley and Kerslake wasn't bad enough, there was NOTHING on the album or in the liner notes indicating it was anything other than a re-master of the original release. It wasn't until people started comparing it to the original and realizing it wasn't the original that Ozzy came out about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10487822)
I'm not so sure that it's not Sharon behind the scenes just sticking it to absolutely everybody she can lay her hands on.

The funny thing is, Ozzy blames it on Sharon and Sharon blames it on Ozzy.

He's done sneaky shit before. He shattered Jake E Lee emotionally. It took almost 20 years for the guy to pick up a guitar again. I saw him play on That Metal Show and he look like a 16-year old kid at a HS talent show. He looked so nervous I thought he was gonna puke.

htismaqe 03-13-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10487852)
I hadn't realized that Dio had made a third Sabbath album

Dehumanizer is a great album.

Frosty 03-13-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10487897)
Dehumanizer is a great album.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I will have to say "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are still my favorites, though that's probably still nostalgia talking.

htismaqe 03-13-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10487909)
Yeah, it's pretty good. I will have to say "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are still my favorites, though that's probably still nostalgia talking.

I TOTALLY agree.

I'm Mr. Nostalgia when it comes to music. I love "Dehumanizer" but it's just not even in the same zip code as those 2.

"Sign of the Southern Cross" is still one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard (even though we both know it's not) and "Children of the Sea" is my all time favorite.

The core of my collection is Sabbath (both versions), Dio, Ozzy, Scorpions (70's lineup with Uli Jon Roth), Motorhead, UFO, and Judas Priest.

Mile High Mania 03-13-2014 01:42 PM

The Sabbath tune that I can never turn away is War Pigs. They have a lot of great music, but that one always gets ... great driving song.

htismaqe 03-13-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 10487929)
The Sabbath tune that I can never turn away is War Pigs. They have a lot of great music, but that one always gets ... great driving song.

Feed your head, my friend. Feed your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82qE_Quh2cc

Frosty 03-13-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10487926)
I TOTALLY agree.

I'm Mr. Nostalgia when it comes to music. I love "Dehumanizer" but it's just not even in the same zip code as those 2.

"Sign of the Southern Cross" is still one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard (even though we both know it's not) and "Children of the Sea" is my all time favorite.

The only thing that prevents "Heaven and Hell" from being the perfect metal album is "Lonely Is the Word", which I don't particularly care for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10487926)
The core of my collection is Sabbath (both versions), Dio, Ozzy, Scorpions (70's lineup with Uli Jon Roth), Motorhead, UFO, and Judas Priest.

I'm with you on most of those. We've talked about it before but I'm not as high on the Dio solo stuff as you, particularly the later albums. I was a huge Rainbow fan, though.

I like "Lights Out" but have never owned any UFO albums (I did see the Michael Schenker Group in concert, does that count?).

I can't agree at all about Judas Priest, though. It's funny - I had "Hell Bent for Leather" in high school and loved that album but I have never liked anything else they did. I had a friend that was a huge Priest fan and he kept trying to convert me - even drug me along to the see them on their "Screaming for Vengeance" tour - and I just never particularly cared for them.

Dayze 03-13-2014 02:12 PM

one of my favorite albums is Rainbow In The Dark.
I could push play on that one, and listen to the entire thing and like every song.

Gypsy has one of my favorite riffs.

Bowser 03-13-2014 02:12 PM

Just for Frosty...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V_fODduUkk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

:D

htismaqe 03-13-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10488019)
The only thing that prevents "Heaven and Hell" from being the perfect metal album is "Lonely Is the Word", which I don't particularly care for.

**** dude. And here I thought we were having a moment. I ****ing LOVE that song. Heavy in a distinctly 70's way. Grinding but spacey.

Quote:

I was a huge Rainbow fan, though.

I have all of their albums with Dio. None of the later stuff.

Quote:

I like "Lights Out" but have never owned any UFO albums (I did see the Michael Schenker Group in concert, does that count?).

Kind of. He was a pretty much a worthless drunk by then, though.

Quote:

I can't agree at all about Judas Priest, though. It's funny - I had "Hell Bent for Leather" in high school and loved that album but I have never liked anything else they did. I had a friend that was a huge Priest fan and he kept trying to convert me - even drug me along to the see them on their "Screaming for Vengeance" tour - and I just never particularly cared for them.

Dude, "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Sin After Sin", and "Stained Class" are quintessential metal albums. Not the compartmentalized or synth stuff of the 80's. Crunchy, riffy 70's metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5k7HfrYSQ

htismaqe 03-13-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10488044)
one of my favorite albums is Rainbow In The Dark.
I could push play on that one, and listen to the entire thing and like every song.

Gypsy has one of my favorite riffs.

"Rainbow in the Dark" is actually a song. It's on the album "Holy Diver".

Frosty 03-13-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10488047)
Just for Frosty...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V_fODduUkk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

:D

I actually don't mind this. :D

If I want to annoy the crap out of my son, I play this song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q3gQSPMHPm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)