ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

lawrenceRaider 10-19-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 7808003)
I love hop stupid (it's the first lagunitas beer I ever tried). I've been all over it since it showed up in the store. Probably had a good 7 or 8 bottles of it.

Lagunitas is my current favorite brewery. Everything I've tried from them has been amazing.

lawrenceRaider 10-19-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed (Post 8007535)
I'm still waiting on a stout called Abyss, from Deschutes, an Oregon brewery. The distribution map shows that it is still "coming soon" to Kansas and Missouri. Has anyone out there tried it? The write up has me anxious to sample it.

Deschutes is another great brewery. Enjoyed everything I've tried from them. Hop in the Dark is a great dark IPA.

lawrenceRaider 10-19-2011 06:38 PM

Since it's approaching the Holidays, you must try Anchors Christmas Ale. It's slightly different every year, but is OUTSTANDING.

the Talking Can 10-19-2011 06:51 PM

local pub has Founders' Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, and Kentucky Breakfast Stout coming up, but the prices are ridiculous...

also has Southern Tier's Pumking next week, which I've yet to try

tried sierra nevada torpeda and liked it but wasn't blown away
had a shipyard xxxx ipa and liked it a bunch...just a sucker for double ipa

Bearcat 10-19-2011 06:51 PM

The Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale was pretty subtle... good, but subtle. This Schlafly Pumpkin Ale smells just like pumpkin pie and it's definitely stronger than the Sam Adams.

:drool:

lewdog 10-19-2011 06:53 PM

I may have to venture out for this pumpkin ale. Sounds good.

Reaper16 10-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8007479)
If I may make a suggestion though... Let that Nutcracker sit for another 2-3 weeks before opening one. I had an early season sixer last year that tasted horrible. It needs a little more time.

Screw that; fresh Nutcracker is awwwwwwwwwwwesome. If you like hoppy beers, that is. Fresh Nutcracker behaves so much like an IPA.

Shag 10-19-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

I'm still waiting on a stout called Abyss, from Deschutes, an Oregon brewery. The distribution map shows that it is still "coming soon" to Kansas and Missouri. Has anyone out there tried it? The write up has me anxious to sample it.

I have 3 bottles of 2011 Abyss in my cellar - great beer. Hope you are able to track some down...

Phobia 10-20-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8007762)
Screw that; fresh Nutcracker is awwwwwwwwwwwesome. If you like hoppy beers, that is. Fresh Nutcracker behaves so much like an IPA.

By all means, crack one now. If he likes it great. I like a little age on my Nutcracker though.

Phobia 10-20-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8007564)
The Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale was pretty subtle... good, but subtle. This Schlafly Pumpkin Ale smells just like pumpkin pie and it's definitely stronger than the Sam Adams.

:drool:

Not a fan of SA's pumpkin. But the Lagunitas isn't bad. Schlafly's is just like eating a piece of mom's pumpkin pie except it tastes a lot better.

Phobia 10-20-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8007537)
Lagunitas is my current favorite brewery. Everything I've tried from them has been amazing.

Lagunitas is definitely good but there is a very distinctive hoppy flavor to everything they do. I'm a fan but sometimes I can't tell the difference from one of their offerings to the next.

I'm a huge Avery fan. The Rev is probably in my all-time top 5.

NewChief 10-20-2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8008398)
Lagunitas is definitely good but there is a very distinctive hoppy flavor to everything they do. I'm a fan but sometimes I can't tell the difference from one of their offerings to the next.

Avery IPA has taken our town by storm. Seems like every good beer bar has it on tap and is pimping the hell out of it.

Saulbadguy 10-20-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8007563)
local pub has Founders' Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, and Kentucky Breakfast Stout coming up, but the prices are ridiculous...

All worth the price.

lawrenceRaider 10-20-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8007563)

tried sierra nevada torpeda and liked it but wasn't blown away
had a shipyard xxxx ipa and liked it a bunch...just a sucker for double ipa

I was disappointed by Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA. Most of what I've tried from Sierra has been quite excellent. Their Harvest/Estate series is outstanding, and they make the best barley wine (Bigfoot) I've tried.

lawrenceRaider 10-20-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8008875)
Avery IPA has taken our town by storm. Seems like every good beer bar has it on tap and is pimping the hell out of it.

Avery is an excellent brewery. You should try their Maharaja Imperial IPA, and pretty much anything else you see from them. I'm looking forward to their Old Jubilation, which is their Christmas ale.

lawrenceRaider 10-20-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8008398)

You should try the Doppel Weizen that Lagunitas has out now, which is their September beer. Great, great beer. I know what you are talking about on Lagunitas with the hops (doesn't bother me as much), but if you try their stout offerings, you'll not be disappointed.

lawrenceRaider 10-20-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8007538)
Deschutes is another great brewery. Enjoyed everything I've tried from them. Hop in the Dark is a great dark IPA.

I haven't tried Abyss yet, but I'll see if I can find it and let you know how it is.

Bearcat 11-13-2011 10:17 PM

Drinking the Chocolate Bock now.... before tonight I hadn't tried the 3 on the right or the porter. Favorite time of the year for beer. :)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...113_221527.jpg

L.A. Chieffan 11-13-2011 10:30 PM

Probably already been mentioned but I tried an IPA on tap called Shipwrecked. Delicious

Silock 11-13-2011 10:49 PM

I love pretty much ANY IPA.

Question: I had some Kona Pipeline Porter at the EPCOT food and wine festival two weeks ago. So ****ing good. Where can I get it around KC?

Reaper16 11-13-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8109015)

Question: I had some Kona Pipeline Porter at the EPCOT food and wine festival two weeks ago. So ****ing good. Where can I get it around KC?

You can't.

Silock 11-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8109056)
You can't.

Mother****. You sure? They were selling it in bottles there, but no way was I going to pay $6/bottle for it.

Reaper16 11-15-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8113748)
Mother****. You sure? They were selling it in bottles there, but no way was I going to pay $6/bottle for it.

Yup. Positive. Kona doesn't distribute to any state that borders MO. Texas might be the closest state with Kona distribution.

Silock 11-15-2011 03:49 PM

Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

DMAC 11-15-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8109015)

Big ditto for me. I am a pretty regular buyer of Lakefront's IPA.

Bump 11-15-2011 06:58 PM

tried out 2 new beers last night

1. Boulevard's Tank 7 - holy shit, that's delicious, great rendition of a Belgian white
2. Southern tier pumpking - heavy on the nutmeg or something, but one of the better pumpkin beers I've had

after 4 beers I had a very solid buzz on, but that's ok they are 8% abv

Silock 11-17-2011 05:55 PM

Had some Lagunitas IPA last night. VERY good. I've had it before, but I forgot just how good it is. Even my wife ordered one, and she hates IPAs.

Also had 75th St. Brewery IPA. Not very good, IMO. Wasn't very hoppy, but didn't have any other flavors in it, either. Tasted sorta watery.

Reaper16 11-17-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8114272)
tried out 2 new beers last night

1. Boulevard's Tank 7 - holy shit, that's delicious, great rendition of a Belgian white

It's a terrible Belgian white, mostly because it doesn't try one bit to be a witbier. It's a ****ing fantastic Saison, though.

Red Beans 11-17-2011 06:11 PM

Crown Valley's Barnwood Blonde...awesome, just awesome.

Fish 11-17-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8118801)
Also had 75th St. Brewery IPA. Not very good, IMO. Wasn't very hoppy, but didn't have any other flavors in it, either. Tasted sorta watery.

Which one? They have 2 IPAs. One of them is like you describe. But the other one is awesome.

Good Hope IPA - meh

Summit St. IPA - ****in A Delicious! Very complex.

The problem is that the Summit St. is only available in limited quantities so it's not on the menu all the time.

Silock 11-17-2011 06:35 PM

Sorry, it was the Good Hope.

lawrenceRaider 11-18-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8113748)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8113786)
Yup. Positive. Kona doesn't distribute to any state that borders MO. Texas might be the closest state with Kona distribution.

I've got it down here in the DFW area. You ship me a 6 pack of FreeState Oatmeal Stout, and I'll ship you the Kona Porter.

OnTheWarpath15 11-18-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8118821)
It's a terrible Belgian white, mostly because it doesn't try one bit to be a witbier. It's a ****ing fantastic Saison, though.

This.

I've been milking the shit out of the case I bought last month. Think I have 13 left.

Bearcat 11-18-2011 06:55 PM

Sam Adams Black and Brew coffee stout is really good. The first Chocolate Bock I had a few days ago was kind of 'meh', but this one is delicious.

lawrenceRaider 11-18-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Speaking of fantastic Saison's, have you tried North Coast Brewings Merle? Freaking great!

Silock 11-18-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8121258)
I've got it down here in the DFW area. You ship me a 6 pack of FreeState Oatmeal Stout, and I'll ship you the Kona Porter.

!! ****ing DEAL.

Reaper16 11-19-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 8121540)
Speaking of fantastic Saison's, have you tried North Coast Brewings Merle? Freaking great!

I've got a bottle of it in my fridge now, coincidentally.

Also, I really love how a beer trade just went down in this thread. Makes me happy.

Silock 11-19-2011 03:39 AM

Tried some new IPAs tonight.

Boulevard Double Wide IPA - It's been so long since I had this, I'd forgotten what it was like. I enjoyed it, but it pales in comparison to the Lagunitas.

Green Flash Brewing Co. (CA) Hop Head Red -- Red IPA. I didn't like it. Too bitter for me. If you enjoy reds, though, you'll probably enjoy it.

Green Flash Brewing Co. (CA) West Coast IPA -- Mediocre IPA. Not enough taste, and slightly acidic.

Breckenridge Brewey (CO) - Lucky U IPA -- Second best I've had all week. Not too bitter, with a good amount of flavor.

Can't really say that I LOVED any of them. Nothing like the Free State IPA or the Lagunitas (I seriously spoiled my taste buds with that one). Any of these are worth a drink, but I can't see anyone adopting them as a favorite beer or anything.

NewChief 11-19-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8122016)

Boulevard Double Wide IPA - It's been so long since I had this, I'd forgotten what it was like. I enjoyed it, but it pales in comparison to the Lagunitas.

Green Flash Brewing Co. (CA) Hop Head Red -- Red IPA. I didn't like it. Too bitter for me. If you enjoy reds, though, you'll probably enjoy it.

Green Flash Brewing Co. (CA) West Coast IPA -- Mediocre IPA. Not enough taste, and slightly acidic.

Breckenridge Brewey (CO) - Lucky U IPA -- Second best I've had all week. Not too bitter, with a good amount of flavor.

Can't really say that I LOVED any of them. Nothing like the Free State IPA or the Lagunitas (I seriously spoiled my taste buds with that one). Any of these are worth a drink, but I can't see anyone adopting them as a favorite beer or anything.

I've been on an IPA kick as of late as well. I'm really loving the Avery as my goto.

Reaper16 11-19-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8122016)

Maybe you got an old bottle of West Coast IPA? I've never heard someone say that it lacked taste.

Bump 11-19-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

ok, my bad. It's a Saison, good to know. Either way, delicious.

also had some Lagunitas "sucks" Holiday Ale brown sugar substitute. Not that great, honestly. Not much flavor, mild hops and I didn't really get any brown sugar. Pass next time.

Also tried Dogfish Head Raison, now that is a nice beer! Anybody could enjoy that beer I think.

Also had a Southern Tier 2XIPA, got that great for what's supposed to be an imperial IPA.

Shag 11-19-2011 11:47 AM

Finally had a chance to try Saison Brett at the 3 Floyds 15th Anniversary party - great beer! I wish I remembered it a little better, as that day got progressively hazy, but I do remember really liking it. A buddy recently found a bottle of that locally, so I should have another chance to try it soon - looking forward to it.

And Baller Stout (blend of Darkness, Dark Lord, Beer Geek Brunch, and Black Albert) was pretty outstanding. Being able to blend those 4 beers is alone worth some serious props, but the final product turned out quite well. Looking forward to cracking a bottle after some aging...

Shag 11-19-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8122374)
ok, my bad. It's a Saison, good to know. Either way, delicious.

also had some Lagunitas "sucks" Holiday Ale brown sugar substitute. Not that great, honestly. Not much flavor, mild hops and I didn't really get any brown sugar. Pass next time.

Also tried Dogfish Head Raison, now that is a nice beer! Anybody could enjoy that beer I think.

Also had a Southern Tier 2XIPA, got that great for what's supposed to be an imperial IPA.

I tried the Lagunitas Sucks recently, too - thought it was decent, but not great. Made for a funny exchange with the waitress, though:

Her: "Can I get you something to drink?"
Me: "Lagunitas Sucks"
Her: "Uh...well, you don't have to drink that. We have lots of other beer."
Me: "..."

Made for a good laugh...

KCUnited 11-19-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 8122380)
Finally had a chance to try Saison Brett at the 3 Floyds 15th Anniversary party - great beer! I wish I remembered it a little better, as that day got progressively hazy, but I do remember really liking it. A buddy recently found a bottle of that locally, so I should have another chance to try it soon - looking forward to it.

And Baller Stout (blend of Darkness, Dark Lord, Beer Geek Brunch, and Black Albert) was pretty outstanding. Being able to blend those 4 beers is alone worth some serious props, but the final product turned out quite well. Looking forward to cracking a bottle after some aging...

3 Floyds need to come to KC.

Reaper16 11-19-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8122388)

Understatement of the day.

lawrenceRaider 11-19-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8122352)
Maybe you got an old bottle of West Coast IPA? I've never heard someone say that it lacked taste.

Agreed, the time I tried it it was pretty darn good, and everything an IPA should be.

Silock 11-19-2011 07:51 PM

Perhaps. I'll try it again.

phisherman 11-20-2011 09:40 AM

I picked up a few of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2011 bombers yesterday.

I know, I know, Trader Joe's, but hey, they have good outfits brewing their beer. In this case, it's Unibroue.

Should be interesting.

Shag 11-20-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8122388)

They need to come to MN, too. Fortunately, I can get their stuff in WI...

DMAC 11-21-2011 08:33 PM

Lagunitas Sucks.

Silock 11-21-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8129767)
Lagunitas Sucks.

False. Which one did you have?

Shag 11-21-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8129911)
False. Which one did you have?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=1083

DMAC 11-21-2011 08:47 PM

Hooray! Someone fell for it!

Spicy McHaggis 11-21-2011 08:49 PM

Trying the Anchor Porter while taking in the game. Pretty good. I love when the weather gets cold and the store shelves start filling with the darker stuff.

Silock 11-21-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 8129926)

Boo! I was browsing on my iPhone. Didn't see the second capital letter :(

Shag 11-21-2011 09:44 PM

Drinking Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds tonight. Awesome APA, that would probably be classified as an IPA by most breweries. Tons of citrus in the nose and the taste, and super well balanced. The aroma is absolutely fantastic. Awesome beer - wish I had more. I'm hoping they make this a regular release...

Bearcat 11-23-2011 01:39 PM

Austrian black lager from Old Chicago.

Since 1270... that's a long time.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...122_221413.jpg

KCUnited 11-23-2011 01:53 PM

Boulevard Harvest Dance.

Ghey Death.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8897/harvestdance.jpg

Fish 11-23-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8135855)
Boulevard Harvest Dance.

Ghey Death.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8897/harvestdance.jpg

Was it any good? I saw it in the store last time and was curious.....

Reaper16 11-23-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8135951)

It's not just good, it's great. There isn't a better wheatwine in the world.

KCUnited 11-23-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8135951)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8136235)

I enjoyed it. I probably would've enjoyed it more in September, but with the KC temps approaching 60, it was a nice beer to consume while disposing of my leafs.

Bearcat 12-03-2011 10:51 PM

Went to Yard House today... tried Warsteiner Dunkel, which was excellent. Had a sample of a Schlafly coffee stout, which I didn't care for... it was pretty weak. And for dessert, Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

I've heard Young's Chocolate Stout + SA Cherry Wheat is really good... they have both on tap, but I didn't try it.

kstater 12-03-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8136235)

Can I lay that down for a while?

Reaper16 12-04-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 8165466)
Can I lay that down for a while?

Absolutely. I'm curious to see how it plays out long-term. I've still two bottles of the original, 2009 vintage. I expect the hoppiness that makes the beer so delicious when fresh will have faded out, but the maltiness to have become richer with the slight oxidation.

Bearcat 12-06-2011 10:47 AM

https://www.facebook.com/Boulevard/p...50432631334765

Quote:

Now that it is December, we think it is about time to release Bourbon Barrel Quad. The extremely popular Smokestack Series beer will start hitting Kansas City shelves a week from today, December 13th, and other markets around the same time. Remember, this is a limited release, so once the bottles are sold out, we won't have any more until late 2012.

NewChief 12-06-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8174882)

Drank one of those last New Year's Eve. Potent. Definitely one to split with a friend.

Bearcat 12-13-2011 10:51 AM

BBQ day!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...213_104222.jpg

Reaper16 12-13-2011 11:30 AM

Dear ruthless, merciless God,

Please let there still be some bottles of BBQ in the KC area when I get back into KC on Thursday afternoon.

Saulbadguy 12-13-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8199547)

Please let there still be some bottles of BBQ in the KC area when I get back into KC on Thursday afternoon.

I can't imagine it will sell out that quickly. I can still find bottles of Saison Bret limited in Topeka.

Reaper16 12-13-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8199592)
I can't imagine it will sell out that quickly. I can still find bottles of Saison Bret limited in Topeka.

Jesus. Where? I'ma go visit my brother in Topeka and stock up.

phisherman 12-13-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

In KC, it WILL sell out quickly. I don't expect you'll see them too much by the end of the week.

I'm going over to Hy-Vee right now in Lee's Summit for mine.

Saulbadguy 12-13-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8199622)

I'll check to see if Meyers Retail Liquor still has some today (because i'm going there to see if they have the BBQ).

Rausch 12-13-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

I'd reserve a 6'er but I have a bad feeling you'd dip yer' nuts in 'em first...

Saulbadguy 12-13-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8199634)
I'd reserve a 6'er but I have a bad feeling you'd dip yer' nuts in 'em first...

A near certainty.

NewChief 12-13-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8199622)

We still have Saison Brett here as well. May still have BBQ from last year.

KC-TBB 12-13-2011 12:00 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.slashfood...06/33-beer.jpgGotta try Ba Moui Ba Beer from Viet Nam...loaded with formaldyhyde...mmmmmm mmmm

kstater 12-13-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Let me know, there's a place on the way up just by the Ark border that should still have some when I come through next week some time. I know last year they had a ton when I came back through a week after it came out.

Bearcat 12-13-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

If I run into another bottle, I can grab one for you. We went to Bubbles in the Northland... they had 3 cases and were limiting it to one per person. We went to Hy-Vee twice and the Boulevard man hasn't been there yet... I might try it again after work.

Reaper16 12-13-2011 12:36 PM

I'll let y'all know if my searches on Thursday turn up empty. Between my usual three secret stash type stores I'm sure I'll be able to pick up a few bottles.

Fish 12-20-2011 01:54 PM

FYI....

Get a free Stella Artois chalice by calling 1-800-692-4254. While supplies last, through 1/31/2012.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5...heroonlyv2.jpg