ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs on verge of a deal with Andy Reid (merged) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268357)

Thig Lyfe 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9269084)
Eagles fan here. I can break down the pros and cons of Reid if anyone wants. I'm sure all here who are national football fans as well as Chiefs fans know some about Reid, but there is stuff that doesn't make the national headlines that is more locally known about him.

whooooa dish dish dish give us the hot scoop

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Cardinals defense is not loaded. They have about the same number of pieces as the chiefs

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269172)
If you are scared to leave him in KC unsupervised, why are you thinking of keeping him as part of your organization?

You guys are way over thinking this.

These are grown ass men. Men who had friendships long before this 2-14 Fiasco.

Just because you're going to fire the man doesn't mean you are going to put him on timeout and make him sit in the corner until you do.

Once again, these are 40-50 year old men who understand that this is a business.

You honestly think there are hard feelings between Pioli and Clark? I doubt it. The "relationship" is ending because Pioli failed at his job....but im sure they're still yappin' it up on Clark's Private jet as if they were still buddies.

And im sure Scott would like a trip down to ATL to talk it up with his bff, Dimitrioff (sp).

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269197)
Neither team has a QB, so it's basically a push.

Phoenix in the winter versus KC in the winter.

Not a push.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9269199)
Sorry, there's no way to spin Pioli's presence in any legitimate interview for a HC as a positive. It's not. It's a sign of weakness and incompetence on Hunt's part.

It's not a negative either.

Listen, I want the guy fired too. But I can understand that Clark would like to recoup as much money as possible in the process.

Christ, some of you are acting like Clark is sitting in Dallas being fed Bon-Bons by a SMU sorority girl while Pioli is out running interviews.

Use some common ****ing sense.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269194)
I watch the Cardinals and Seahawks quite a bit because they're the late game in Los Angeles each week.

I can tell you that if I were Andy Reid (who just happens to own a home in San Diego, which is a 45 minute or so flight from Phoenix), I'd chose Arizona over Kansas City because they're closer to competing for a playoff spot.

I think it's really close.

Some of the guys that played so well on the AZ defense last year did so because they were so well coached. If you would have swapped the entire personnel group in KC and AZ, I think the KC personnel group would've given you a better defense under the AZ coaching staff than they actually had this year.

Larry's a better player than Bowe and Michael Floyd might be a stud, but Bowe's no slouch and Charles is as valuable an offensive player as any non-QB in the league.

Give KC a good coaching staff and allow them to fatten up on the SD and Oakland games while splitting with Denver and I think KC has a nice, clear path to the playoffs.

You can't understate how awful this coaching staff was this season.

The real difference in talent could be the depth of the respective squads (the Chiefs have none), but I can't claim to be able to speak intelligently to the Cardinals depth players. That may give AZ a slight edge, but I honestly don't see the Cards having a clear edge in starter talent.

Chiefnj2 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269131)
Being present does NOT mean participating.

Talk about an assumption.

You think he travels but doesn't participate? You think they make him sit in the waiting room? That wouldn't give off a dysfunctional appearance.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269191)
Dockett isn't near the LB Hali or DJ is.

Of course he's not. He's a defensive lineman.

DeezNutz 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

That's right; it's a business, which is exactly why you don't pay for a trip to ATL for a guy who will not be employed by your company in a couple of weeks.

O.city 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9269218)
You guys are way over thinking this.

These are grown ass men. Men who had friendships long before this 2-14 Fiasco.

Just because you're going to fire the man doesn't mean you are going to put him on timeout and make him sit in the corner until you do.

Once again, these are 40-50 year old men who understand that this is a business.

You honestly think there are hard feelings between Pioli and Clark? I doubt it. The "relationship" is ending because Pioli failed at his job....but im sure they're still yappin' it up on Clark's Private jet as if they were still buddies.

And im sure Scott would like a trip down to ATL to talk it up with his bff, Dimitrioff (sp).

If you take everything TBG has said at face value, they had a heated falling out.

If you are buying him out, why keep him around for these things?

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9269211)
If he's only working out a buyout, I'd ban the mother****er from Arrowhead. I don't want him with me, and I also don't want him around my business.

that's not how the GOB network in the NFL works; you don't publicly humiliate people, and you don't badmouth them in private. This is Clark's way if allowin Pioli to save some face.

The_Doctor10 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269221)

Not a push.

Someone who's spent his entire life around the most demanding physical sport in the world is not going to make his decision based on what the weather is like. He may not like running the ball, but he's not a pussy.

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9269198)
He's 290 lbs and plays DE. Of course he isn't.

Oops, yes I'm confusing him with someone else.

Anyway, Tyson Jackson has better numbers.

Messier 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269195)
Just stating that if he's this awful and you are afraid of all this happening, why is there a thought that he's being kept?

Hunt said when Petro asked him if Pioli is getting fired, that there are still changes coming. That's all we have to go on. Maybe Hunt wants Pioli to stay as an assistant or something, I believe he's gone if the new coach wants him gone, but I don't know why he's still around.

DeezNutz 01-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269222)
It's not a negative either.

Listen, I want the guy fired too. But I can understand that Clark would like to recoup as much money as possible in the process.

Christ, some of you are acting like Clark is sitting in Dallas being fed Bon-Bons by a SMU sorority girl while Pioli is out running interviews.

Use some common ****ing sense.

I am using common sense, which has driven all of my comments since Monday.

There is nothing good that can come from having Pioli in the room. Common sense says that he's there to provide some kind of input. Common sense says that Hunt isn't dragging him along by a child leash because has to "keep an eye on him."

-King- 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269234)
Oops, yes I'm confusing him with someone else.

Anyway, Tyson Jackson has better numbers.

LMAO

notorious 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradBigglestein (Post 9269209)
Pros:/Cons:

Thanks, and please stick around. We have a lot of opposing team fans on this site and we all get along pretty well.

BradBigglestein 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

I posted my pros and cons:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=1034

You can ask any questions if you want.

DeezNutz 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9269231)
that's not how the GOB network in the NFL works; you don't publicly humiliate people, and you don't badmouth them in private. This is Clark's way if allowin Pioli to save some face.

No public humiliation? What the **** happened on Monday, then?

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269221)

Not a push.

1st overall pick. Advantage KC.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9269223)
I think it's really close.

Some of the guys that played so well on the AZ defense last year did so because they were so well coached. If you would have swapped the entire personnel group in KC and AZ, I think the KC personnel group would've given you a better defense under the AZ coaching staff than they actually had this year.

Larry's a better player than Bowe and Michael Floyd might be a stud, but Bowe's no slouch and Charles is as valuable as any offensive player in the league.

Give KC a good coaching staff and allow them to fatten up on the SD and Oakland games while splitting with Denver and I think KC has a nice, clear path to the playoffs.

You can't understate how awful this coaching staff was this season.

The real difference in talent could be the depth of the respective squads (the Chiefs have none), but I can't claim to be able to speak intelligently to the Cardinals depth players. That may give AZ a slight edge, but I honestly don't see the Cards having a clear edge in starter talent.

At this point in time, there are no clear indications as to whether or not Bowe and Albert (and Dorsey) return. Personally, if it were me interviewing, I'd plan for those players to move on because there is absolutely no guarantee they'll return.

So, you'd need a left tackle, starting QB, starting ILB, starting safety, reliable TE (not named Moeaki) and possibly three starting receivers, not to mention depth and starters on the defensive line.

I give the definite edge to Arizona at this point.

Pioli really ****ed the Chiefs by not re-signing Carr and agreeing to a long term contract with Bowe. If he had, the Chiefs would be much more desirable to a head coach with options.

RunKC 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

Is there any confirmation that Pioli was NOT with Clark at Reid's interview?

TEX 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9269190)
Why didn't Hunt outright retain him?

Easy - he couldn't do that without experiencing overwhelming backlash from the fans - NOT good for season ticket sales. Instead, he can WAIT and see how things go and maybe the the circumstances will improve and Pioli can "settle" in to a role.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 (Post 9269233)
Someone who's spent his entire life around the most demanding physical sport in the world is not going to make his decision based on what the weather is like. He may not like running the ball, but he's not a pussy.

What does being a pussy have to do with wanting to live in one of the nicest climates in the world?

I don't expect it to make a huge difference, but it absolutely could make a slight difference, especially when he's about to step off a a private jet into perfect freakin' weather down there.

Granted, come August he may regret the hell out of that decision, but the interview is happening today and that could absolutely have some sway.

I'd give SD all ties for exactly that reason. There's something to be said for getting to live someplace beautiful and warm while also getting paid a great deal of money.

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9269237)
LMAO

Unlike a lot of people here, I can admit when I **** up.
:)

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269243)

Only if you love the QB.

I think that's very questionable at this point.

RunKC 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269245)
At this point in time, there are no clear indications as to whether or not Bowe and Albert (and Dorsey) return. Personally, if it were me interviewing, I'd plan for those players to move on because there is absolutely no guarantee they'll return.

So, you'd need a left tackle, starting QB, starting ILB, starting safety, reliable TE (not named Moeaki) and possibly three starting receivers, not to mention depth and starters on the defensive line.

Pioli really ****ed the Chiefs by not re-signing Carr and agreeing to a long term contract with Bowe. If he had, the Chiefs would be much more desirable to a head coach with options.

Bowe and Albert have both told the media that they want to be back. And they said it without being asked. Seems genuine to me.

Messier 01-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9269247)
Easy - he couldn't do that without experiencing overwhelming backlash from the fans - NOT good for season ticket sales. Instead, he can WAIT and see how things go and maybe the the circumstances will improve and Pioli can "settle" in to a role.

The backlash would happen either way with that.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Why does anyone give a **** if Pioli was there?

Koetter was never a legit candidate. It's obvious Pioli set up that interview before the season ended.

Let him RUN the goddamn interview for all I care - Clark's paying the man.

If people want to get pissed that Clark hasn't just admitted his mistake and fired Scott, flushing anywhere from $7-$20M+ in the process - fine. That makes sense.

But to complain that Scott was in Atlanta?

Who gives a ****?

Was Scott in Philly today?

notorious 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Was the Vick decision his or the GM's?

Why does his OLine suck so bad? Is it scheme, or just no talent due to GM?

The Franchise 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Well you can almost guarantee either Bowe or Albert is here for another year based on using the Franchise tag.

DeezNutz 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269250)
Only if you love the QB.

Yep.

I think it's a very real possibility that the Chiefs will not draft a QB at 1/1.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9269251)
Bowe and Albert have both told the media that they want to be back. And they said it without being asked. Seems genuine to me.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

There are no guarantees until a contract is signed.

Messier 01-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9269252)
The backlash would happen either way with that.

In fact it would be worse, because the fans will tell you you lied.

O.city 01-02-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269256)
Why does anyone give a **** if Pioli was there?

Koetter was never a legit candidate. It's obvious Pioli set up that interview before the season ended.

Let him RUN the goddamn interview for all I care - Clark's paying the man.

If people want to get pissed that Clark hasn't just admitted his mistake and fired Scott, flushing anywhere from $7-$20M+ in the process - fine. That makes sense.

But to complain that Scott was in Atlanta?

Who gives a ****?

Was Scott in Philly today?

My question is, why even keep that interview?

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269228)
If you take everything TBG has said at face value, they had a heated falling out.

If you are buying him out, why keep him around for these things?

To be fair, TBG posts rumors. Not fact, rumors.

As of Today, Scott is still an employee. WE don't know what scooter was doing in ATL, but what we DO know is that he still works for Clark, and as such, must still do what Clark asks of him, whatever that might be.

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269263)

Roonie Rule?

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

I think it's fair to say that Bowe OR Albert will return. One of those guys is going to get franchised for certain.

But yeah, there are some definite holes on the squad. Pioli left a 2-14 team in worse shame than the 2-14 team he found...that's amazing.

That said - every team has holes so your discussion is really in the margins. How many more holes do the Chiefs have than the Cardinals? Eh - they look pretty close to me.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9269247)

No offense, but that's ridiculous.

Retain Pioli in January, retain him in February - there's going to be backlash, period.

DeezNutz 01-02-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269256)

Why does it matter that Pioli is present? Again, it strongly suggests weakness and incompetence on Hunt's part. It's a professional interview process, not a ****ing circus.

Work on the buyout and leave the excess baggage at home.

And, honestly, he could have canceled the ATL interviews without any lack of professionalism. Things changed. Because of major organizational changes, we are no longer interested in your services, Tree Stooges. Sorry.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9269259)
Yep.

I think it's a very real possibility that the Chiefs will not draft a QB at 1/1.

I do as well. And not because they're afraid to draft a QB, but because there isn't a QB worthy of the top spot.

I really don't like to engage in this type of conversation until after The Combines but I think it's a strong possibility that the Chiefs choose something other than a QB at the #1 overall spot. A trade, a different position, etc. wouldn't shock me at all on January 3, 2013.

That, of course, is subject to change after the Combines.

KCUnited 01-02-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9269259)
Yep.

May Rhianna "Diamonds" get stuck in your head for an entire day.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Professional courtesy.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Why the **** not? He used it to interview someone else while he was there to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Maybe Clark couldn't get any big name interviews scheduled for that day.

O.city 01-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269275)
Professional courtesy.

But if things have changed as much as he said in his interviews, wouldn't that go out the window?

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9269266)
Roonie Rule?

I presume you mean for Armstrong.

Koetter's as white as Clark.

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269250)
Only if you love the QB.

5 months ago the Chiefs might win 11 or 12 games. Now they aren't nearly as good as Arizona?

Messier 01-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269281)
But if things have changed as much as he said in his interviews, wouldn't that go out the window?

No.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269281)

What has changed?

He's still evaluating the front office.

Any new HC will report directly to him.

He hasn't hired a HC yet.

-King- 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269284)
5 months ago the Chiefs might win 11 or 12 games. Now they aren't nearly as good as Arizona?

:clap:

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9269269)
That said - every team has holes so your discussion is really in the margins. How many more holes do the Chiefs have than the Cardinals? Eh - they look pretty close to me.

If they're close and the money is identical or similar, I believe Reid will choose Phoenix because it's only a 45 minute plane ride from his San Diego mansion.

I'm actually surprised the Chargers haven't at least scheduled an interview with him but I've heard they're targeting Arians, so that may explain it.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Bob Fescoe ‏@bobfescoe

If falcons lose their pro personnel director to JAX look for Pioli to possibly b reunited w his buddy Dimitrioff in ATL. makes sense 2 me

Messier 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9269283)

No one's as white as Clark.

O.city 01-02-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269286)
What has changed?

He's still evaluating the front office.

Any new HC will report directly to him.

He hasn't hired a HC yet.

The GM who scheduled said interviews is no longer in power, so why keep them?

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

2 days ago they finished the season 2-14.

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9269283)

That i do. Two birds, one stone.

ptlyon 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269243)

Poor QB draft class. Advantage AZ.

TEX 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9269261)
In fact it would be worse, because the fans will tell you you lied.

But he didn't lie. He hasn't said anything. He just has't fired the absolute worst GM in football. See it how you want - I'll do the same. In my opinion there is nothing good about Pioli still being around.

Thig Lyfe 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9269290)
No one's as white as Clark.

he's pretty fly for a white guy tho

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Clark_Hunt.JPG

Mr. Flopnuts 01-02-2013 03:25 PM

The Iron Sheik must be pissed Reid is no longer in Philly.

Quote:

The Iron Sheik‏@the_ironsheik

the Philadelphia Eagle owner Jeffery Lurie you are a no good piece of shit you deserve to get ****ed in the ass by 50 dead dogs forever

DaWolf 01-02-2013 03:26 PM

My question about Reid is should we really be pursuing him to be our coach? In some ways I think we might be better off if we identify the next assistant coach who could end up being a great fit for the organization and who exudes leadership and has a plan to bring in the best coordinators he can.

I'm looking at the list of Super Bowl winning coaches since 1981, and 14 of the 20 won the Super Bowl with their first NFL team as a head coach. Only 6 were on their second stints (Shanarat, Vermeil, Gruden, Belichick, Dungy, and Coughlin) and outside of Gruden, who probably could have won the SB had he stayed in Oakland that one year, the other guys all inherited, drafted, or lucked into HOF QB's (assuming Eli Manning ends up in the HOF and you believe that Kurt Warner is a HOF player).

Is Reid going to be in that group of 6, and who is going to be his potential HOF QB? Or should we be looking at the HC position like we do the QB position, and try to get one who starts it here rather than tries to import what he did elsewhere here?

I know it didn't work out with Haley, but that was Pioli making the hire on his own. I think we need to take another swing at it, while making sure whoever we hire has true leadership and delegation skills, is not a control freak like Haley was, and is a sharp football mind. I would pass on Reid...

Chief Roundup 01-02-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9269265)
To be fair, TBG posts rumors. Not fact, rumors.

As of Today, Scott is still an employee. WE don't know what scooter was doing in ATL, but what we DO know is that he still works for Clark, and as such, must still do what Clark asks of him, whatever that might be.

Candy Wrapper detail.

mcaj22 01-02-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9269257)

I can answer these,

Vick was the owners decision/big part of deciding to take him on

Andy had one of the best olines assembled prior to the injuries
he lost jason peters, todd herremans, kelce, mathis to long injuries at some point and was playing guys off the street

that oline had 3 pro bowl resumes on it, they were good besides this year

ToxSocks 01-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269288)
If they're close and the money is identical or similar, I believe Reid will choose Phoenix because it's only a 45 minute plane ride from his San Diego mansion.

I'm actually surprised the Chargers haven't at least scheduled an interview with him but I've heard they're targeting Arians, so that may explain it.

SD is looking for a classic GM/HC situation. They want their GM hired before a HC. If Reid wants personnel control, that removes SD from the equation.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9269291)
The GM who scheduled said interviews is no longer in power, so why keep them?

Professional courtesy in the case of Koetter.

Rooney Rule fulfillment in the case of Armstrong.

General due diligence.

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9269292)
2 days ago they finished the season 2-14.

That has nothing to do with what I'm referring to.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs have a number of holes that can't be filled in one offseason. Their defense is in major flux and they need help not only on the defensive line but ILB and safety. They have issues at WR, LT, QB and TE and need depth everywhere.

Arizona's defense has played well. There's no question about their scheme. The help they need, outside of QB, can be easily upgraded in the draft. They're much closer to competing.

The 2013 Chiefs are the 2008 Chiefs before the draft. What happens this April will have a huge impact over the next four years. They're teetering on the brink of being irrelevant for four more years if they **** up.

TEX 01-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

:facepalm:

Straight, No Chaser 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9269269)

Many Cards fans are not excited about Reid, his lack of recent success for one. I think Micheal Bidwell will work hard to sign Reid ASAP (maybe tonight) and try to keep Horton on as coordinator.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9269307)
That has nothing to do with what I'm referring to.

No, you're trying to be funny, and failing miserably.

90% of this board thought this team was winning 10+ games, but feel free to crucify one guy over it.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9269305)
SD is looking for a classic GM/HC situation. They want their GM hired before a HC. If Reid wants personnel control, that removes SD from the equation.

Right. But so far, there's no indication that Reid is demanding personnel control.

Either way, I've heard from a good source that they're targeting Arians as their #1 guy.

Messier 01-02-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9269296)
But he didn't lie. He hasn't said anything. He just has't fired the absolute worst GM in football. See it how you want - I'll do the same. In my opinion there is nothing good about Pioli still being around.

I'm just saying, Hunt won't save himself from fan rage by waiting a few months to let Pioli settle in, and he knows that. If Hunt knew Pioli was coming back, in any role, he would've just said so.

RunKC 01-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269312)
Right. But so far, there's no indication that Reid is demanding personnel control.

Either way, I've heard from a good source that they're targeting Arians as their #1 guy.

Well Reid had final say in Philly all those years. Why would he let that go now? He has an ego just like any other big NFL coach who's had success.

BradBigglestein 01-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9269257)

The Vick decision was apparently his. No one knows for sure, but that is what was agreed upon publicly by the organization. He had to sell Jeff Lurie on it, but Lurie was fine with giving him a chance.

The line was good last year. This year it sucked because they lost Jason Peters who was a top 3 lineman last year, lost Todd Herremans this year, lost Jason Kelce this year. A ton of injuries. Also Danny Watkins our former first round pick sucks. That is on Reid, he gives the final say in personnel and it was a bad pick.

So it is a mix. Lacking talent, injuries.

BigMeatballDave 01-02-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9269309)
:facepalm:

You do not understand what I was getting at.

Ask Dane. He was very optimistic about this team during training camp.

Just like a lot of us.

DaneMcCloud 01-02-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9269316)
Well Reid had final say in Philly all those years. Why would he let that go now? He has an ego just like any other big NFL coach who's had success.

And see how well it worked out? Not only for him but his mentor Mike Holmgren? Or even Shanahan?

It's extremely rare when a man can be both head coach and the final decision maker on personnel and be successful, year in and year out.

I seriously doubt Arizona or KC or any other franchise is going to hand over absolute power to Andy Reid, especially given the way his tenure in Philly just ended.

Chief Roundup 01-02-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9269300)
My question about Reid is should we really be pursuing him to be our coach? In some ways I think we might be better off if we identify the next assistant coach who could end up being a great fit for the organization and who exudes leadership and has a plan to bring in the best coordinators he can.

I'm looking at the list of Super Bowl winning coaches since 1981, and 14 of the 20 won the Super Bowl with their first NFL team as a head coach. Only 6 were on their second stints (Shanarat, Vermeil, Gruden, Belichick, Dungy, and Coughlin) and outside of Gruden, who probably could have won the SB had he stayed in Oakland that one year, the other guys all inherited, drafted, or lucked into HOF QB's (assuming Eli Manning ends up in the HOF and you believe that Kurt Warner is a HOF player).

Is Reid going to be in that group of 6, and who is going to be his potential HOF QB? Or should we be looking at the HC position like we do the QB position, and try to get one who starts it here rather than tries to import what he did elsewhere here?

I know it didn't work out with Haley, but that was Pioli making the hire on his own. I think we need to take another swing at it, while making sure whoever we hire has true leadership and delegation skills, is not a control freak like Haley was, and is a sharp football mind. I would pass on Reid...

Reid is one of a few that meets what Clark stated he wanted. I don't think the next assistant coach is going to meet those wants.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 9269310)
Many Cards fans are not excited about Reid, his lack of recent success for one. I think Micheal Bidwell will work hard to sign Reid ASAP (maybe tonight) and try to keep Horton on as coordinator.

Ha...good luck with that one, Bill's kid.

If Horton gets passed over as HC, someone will hire him to be the top dog. Hell, Buffalo would be a good fit, presuming they don't go hard after Lovie. SD might be looking for a different type of coach as well; Horton might be a nice fit there to instill a more aggressive attitude after such a laid back rube in Norv.

Nah, I can't see any way Bidwell is able to keep Horton, if for no other reason than Horton is going to want to interview elsewhere and Reid is going to want to get his staff in place and is not going to want to wait for the owner's hand-picked DC to make up his mind.

TEX 01-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9269308)
The Chiefs have a number of holes that can't be filled in one offseason. Their defense is in major flux and they need help not only on the defensive line but ILB and safety. They have issues at WR, LT, QB and TE and need depth everywhere.

Arizona's defense has played well. There's no question about their scheme. The help they need, outside of QB, can be easily upgraded in the draft. They're much closer to competing.

The 2013 Chiefs are the 2008 Chiefs before the draft. What happens this April will have a huge impact over the next four years. They're teetering on the brink of being irrelevant for four more years if they **** up.

BAM! - EXACTLY This.
Back to the future ....just might be without the Flux Capacitor..

siberian khatru 01-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9269300)

I don't think Clark has confidence in his ability to identify a relative no-name, up-and-comer. Pioli was the biggest GM name on the market, and he hired him and gave him full control. Now he's talking about hiring the biggest HC name on the market and giving him full control.

That doesn't look like a risk-taker.