ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

The Franchise 07-10-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9803005)
Let me know how it goes. I literally started getting zits and even some "backne" after a few weeks. After reading up on it, I found that it raises natural HGH production by over 500%. After basically going through puberty again, I believe it.

Oh that sounds like ****ing fun. Can't wait to go through all of that shit again.

lead_block 07-10-2013 11:42 AM

My last day of officiating for the summer is tonight, so I think I'll start seeing my lifts increase just from less stress mentally and physically doing that 3 or 4 nights a week. I started Madcow on Monday and was a bit surprised by the toll this summer took on the lifts. A good starting point though I guess.

NewChief 07-10-2013 11:49 AM

Was at school yesterday for a work day, and we had sack lunches catered by this delicious bakery. I grabbed one sack (chicken salad sandwich on cranberry bread, bag of chips, pickle, cookie) and ate it. There were sacks left over at the end of lunch, so I grabbed another of the same thing and ate all of it.

All day after lunch, I felt like a fat **** because I'm hitting the beach in two weeks, and I just ate enough food for two people. To punish myself, I cooked a fantastic meal for the family which I skipped, then went out and ran 800 yards worth of sprints in hot weather. Took kids bike riding as it cooled off(meaning I chased them on foot while they rode). Skipped supper, breakfast, and lunch today. Went to gym and did my normal workout during lunchtime.

Will hit some baked chicken breasts tonight to break my 30 hour fast. Still not even that hungry, though I'm definitely looking forward to eating.

Ceej 07-10-2013 11:51 AM

I've done two intermittent fasts the past two days ~12 hours-ish.

But, goodness, I couldn't imagine doing a 30 hour fast.

Wow.

Aspengc8 07-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9802944)
Which would help a fat guy better? Sprint8 or Couch 2 5k? I'm 6' 245 lbs and it's been a while since I've worked out on a regular basis.

Personally, I would just clean the diet up and hit the weights HARD. 4 days a week heavy training and 1-2 days of hill sprints or whatever hiit you like. You can get pretty damn lean from just hitting the weights and not ****ing around in the kitchen. I would add the cardio/hiit when fat loss starts stalling, but thats just me. I tend to lean out pretty quick when I start taking the carbs out of my first 2 meals of the day and keep them around workout.

Saul Good 07-10-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9803177)
Personally, I would just clean the diet up and hit the weights HARD. 4 days a week heavy training and 1-2 days of hill sprints or whatever hiit you like. You can get pretty damn lean from just hitting the weights and not ****ing around in the kitchen. I would add the cardio/hiit when fat loss starts stalling, but thats just me. I tend to lean out pretty quick when I start taking the carbs out of my first 2 meals of the day and keep them around workout.

Here's the way I look at it... You see a lot of guys who can lift a lot of weight but are still fat. You don't see many fat guys running marathons or doing sprints.

Marcellus 07-10-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9803210)
Here's the way I look at it... You see a lot of guys who can lift a lot of weight but are still fat. You don't see many fat guys running marathons or doing sprints.

Bingo.

Some of the big guys at my gym couldn't run to the end of their block. Most of them actually.

Aspengc8 07-10-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9803210)

Some people are perfectly content being fat and strong, some are fine being 150lbs with abs. It all depends on what YOU want. My suggestion to him was to focus on lifting heavy and cleaning the diet up. I started with very similar stats to him, 6-1 235-240ish, and got down to 200 from lifting almost every day and doing hill sprints 1-2x week. Then I started adding size and now im back up to 220ish and will continue to try and gain. Do i have ripped abs? nope, but im definitely not soft and felt pretty anorexic when close to 200lbs. The fat comes off pretty damn easy once you have a nice base of muscle to work with. This is why it will be easy for Lewdog to lean out if he so chooses.

Like I said it all depends on what YOUR goals are and I only suggested what worked for me, since we had similar stats.

Silock 07-10-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9802892)
Scenario/Question:

I just turned 35...started working on getting in shape a little a year ago. Since then, I'm down 25 pounds or so (guessing that I've added about 5 pounds of muscle and dropped 30 of fat). As of this morning, I'm about 3 pounds heavier than when I graduated high school.

I've still got a tiny bit of flab on my obliques that I'd like to get rid of, and I think that dropping those last few pounds to get back to my age 18 weight will pretty much take care of it.

My plan has been to focus on weight loss while mixing in some strength training to build muscle until I get to my target weight and then shifting to strength training (pushups, kettle balls, possibly some limited weight lifting, etc.). The thought process being that it's going to be easier to add muscle than to drop weight. (I know that adding muscle helps burn fat, but I've been focusing mostly on cardio).

I would rather be lean with less muscle (silock) than have huge muscles with some extra cushion through my core (lewdog)...just personal preference. Should I keep doing what I've been doing until I reach my target weight, or am I never going to lose the little love handles until I focus more on building muscle?

Given my current track, I figure that I should be able to lose the last few pounds by the end of summer. Winter weather is going to make it difficult for me to do cardio, so I'm kind of trying to get in as much as possible while the weather allows it and strength train in the winter.

Am I totally off base here? Am I going to have a harder time than I think adding muscle? Is it actually easier to drop excess weight than to add five more pounds of muscle?

I'm thinking that I would like to get to 155 pounds before working to add 5 pounds of muscle to get back to 160. I weighed 158.5 this morning (that number just sounds incredibly tiny...wow...it's amazing how little we actually weigh without all the excess fat that we just get accustomed to carrying around).

This thread seems to be dominated by the iron pumpers (I don't mean that as a pejorative at all), so I think I know what the answers will be, but I'm still interested in getting some different perspectives.

Keep doing what you're doing until it stops working, then re-evaluate.

Saul Good 07-10-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9803290)
Some people are perfectly content being fat and strong, some are fine being 150lbs with abs. It all depends on what YOU want. My suggestion to him was to focus on lifting heavy and cleaning the diet up. I started with very similar stats to him, 6-1 235-240ish, and got down to 200 from lifting almost every day and doing hill sprints 1-2x week. Then I started adding size and now im back up to 220ish and will continue to try and gain. Do i have ripped abs? nope, but im definitely not soft and felt pretty anorexic when close to 200lbs. The fat comes off pretty damn easy once you have a nice base of muscle to work with. This is why it will be easy for Lewdog to lean out if he so chooses.

Like I said it all depends on what YOUR goals are and I only suggested what worked for me, since we had similar stats.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other...just explaining why I chose to focus on cardio first. I feel like it's easier to add muscle than lose weight, especially as you get older.

If I have a bunch of muscle under a bunch of fat, I'm not really doing my body any favors in terms of general health nor do I look good at the pool.

Running WILL burn fat. Sprinting WILL build muscle. Lifting WILL build muscle, but it's not necessarily going to make you lean.

Aspengc8 07-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9803343)
I'm not saying one way is better than the other...just explaining why I chose to focus on cardio first. I feel like it's easier to add muscle than lose weight, especially as you get older.

If I have a bunch of muscle under a bunch of fat, I'm not really doing my body any favors in terms of general health nor do I look good at the pool.

Running WILL burn fat. Sprinting WILL build muscle. Lifting WILL build muscle, but it's not necessarily going to make you lean.

Your partially correct. Sprinting, jogging, lifting will all lead to fat loss if your not eating enough, and the same is true if your eating too much your not losing anything. I think its easier to burn fat because all you really have to do is stay in a caloric deficit, which to me is pretty damn easy. I find it much harder to continually force feed to stay in a caloric surplus in order to build muscle. This is why I like lifting heavy in a caloric deficit, you can gain *some* strength while burning fat. its almost like a recomp effect. If you just run without lifting, you will lose both fat and muscle. The heavy lifting gives your body a reason to hold on to and build a little more muscle.

jiveturkey 07-10-2013 02:58 PM

I don't believe that calories are the end all be all. I can plow through a ton of calories while keeping my carbs low and still loose body fat.

And I personally find it much easier to drop fat than to add muscle. I've read and experienced to a certain degree that adding 1 to 2 pounds of muscle per month is doing pretty good. During my slim down last year I averaged 5 pounds of fat loss over a 10 month period (much easier).

I have also read a lot about steady state cardio (jogging) leading to long term muscle loss. If you're going to run it sounds like internals are the way to go (fast/slow/fast/slow). Something about the thyroid dropping because your body thinks that it's in survival mode. Here's a recent blog post on the cardio question that goes way more in-depth http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-e...#axzz2Yg7WPekJ

Silock 07-10-2013 03:02 PM

Steady state cardio is fine. Bodybuilders have been doing it for decades with no problems.

The devil is always in the dosage. I mainly do "intervals" because of soccer, and it definitely affects how much muscle mass I can gain/maintain.

ThaVirus 07-10-2013 04:00 PM

I had been hovering around 140-145 for the longest time. I've always wanted to get bigger but don't eat enough and likely just don't go hard enough in the gym. Also, I run the 1 1/2 miles to and from the gym so that's pretty counterproductive to my goals.

Anyway, I recently took to drinking a quart of chocolate milk a day on top of eating anything I get my hands on and my regular whey protein shake. I figure its an easy way to cram in close to 1000 calories without even thinking about it (its hard to stuff myself with solid food all damn day). I've been doing it for about 3-4 weeks and just passed 150 on the scale the other day, which is the most I've ever weighed.

Plus, the most I've ever put up on the bench was 235. The other day I repped it twice and had more in the tank (should have kept going but just wasn't feeling it).

...... So I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious.

lewdog 07-10-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9802725)
Man, just some advice here. That weight is pretty tough to carry around, both on joints and metabolically, when you get to be in your 40's. I had massive arms and chest like that when I was in my mid 20's, and now, at 46, it has taken tons of shrinkage and re toning to get a good look that isn't flabby.

No offense but that absolutely makes no sense. My joints feel fine, and if they do start to bother me I can increase the rep ranges instead of my 5/3/1 rep ranges. I see no relation to muscle mass and the feeling in your joints, that can happen to ligaments/tendons when muscles grow too fast from juicing and they can't keep up. But I haven't been juicing and this muscle has taken time to add, so my joints have experienced a steady progress of muscle mass gains.

Metabolically hard? How so? I do sprints, hike and ride my bike. I am not out of shape. And metabolically my muscle mass helps me burn more calories through the day, especially as I get older.

Are you saying as you aged you deposited more body fat, so what used to be bulging muscles were now covered with a layer of fat?

lewdog 07-10-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9802677)
I love powerade zero.

Oh yea, looking thick too. :) Gotta work dem traps a bit.

I swear my traps aren't that small! Maybe a weird angle but damn, it does look like they are no where to be found.

Silock 07-10-2013 04:46 PM

I've always wondered what it's like to have traps.

ChiefGator 07-10-2013 05:01 PM

This thread should really be renamed, "Do you even lift, bro".

http://img.pandawhale.com/34414-mari...even-fMI6.jpeg

Silock 07-10-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9803802)
This thread should really be renamed, "Do you even lift, bro".

. . . Well . . . do you?

BRO?

NewChief 07-10-2013 05:47 PM

Just broke that 30 hour fast like a beast: did a mutated huevos rancheros. Tortilla, roman style braised kale as base, poached egg and rosemary garlic baked chicken breast next. Cover with a little sharp cheddar and toss in oven to melt. Top with scallions. Holy shit. I'm sure the fast helped, but that was amazing.

Aspengc8 07-10-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9803571)
I don't believe that calories are the end all be all. I can plow through a ton of calories while keeping my carbs low and still loose body fat.

And I personally find it much easier to drop fat than to add muscle. I've read and experienced to a certain degree that adding 1 to 2 pounds of muscle per month is doing pretty good. During my slim down last year I averaged 5 pounds of fat loss over a 10 month period (much easier).

I have also read a lot about steady state cardio (jogging) leading to long term muscle loss. If you're going to run it sounds like internals are the way to go (fast/slow/fast/slow). Something about the thyroid dropping because your body thinks that it's in survival mode. Here's a recent blog post on the cardio question that goes way more in-depth http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-e...#axzz2Yg7WPekJ

No, they aren't the end all be all, but ingesting more energy than your expend is not going to tap your fuel cells at all. Macronutrient ratio plays a role in aiding or speeding up the process. However I'm willing to bet that when you say 'plow through a ton of calroies' and still lose fat, your probably still eating under your maintenance level or at it and creating a deficit through work.

Silock 07-10-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9803955)
, your probably still eating under your maintenance level or at it and creating a deficit through work.

Yep

Simply Red 07-10-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9803803)
. . . Well . . . do you?

BRO?

thank you for stepping in and silencing the critics, oh lord.

We're all on a mission in this thread and if you're content on being a fatty - go to the best pizza you ever had, thread or a bbq sauce thread or something.

If you're not WITH silock - for you're against us, all of us!

tooge 07-10-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9803754)
No offense but that absolutely makes no sense. My joints feel fine, and if they do start to bother me I can increase the rep ranges instead of my 5/3/1 rep ranges. I see no relation to muscle mass and the feeling in your joints, that can happen to ligaments/tendons when muscles grow too fast from juicing and they can't keep up. But I haven't been juicing and this muscle has taken time to add, so my joints have experienced a steady progress of muscle mass gains.

Metabolically hard? How so? I do sprints, hike and ride my bike. I am not out of shape. And metabolically my muscle mass helps me burn more calories through the day, especially as I get older.

Are you saying as you aged you deposited more body fat, so what used to be bulging muscles were now covered with a layer of fat?

I should hope your joints ate good. You are only 27. Human joints aren't designed to carry loads in excess if ideal body weight. They also aren't designed to torque against the heavy loads weight lifting applies.

As far as aging, yes, muscle WILL turn to fat as you age no matter what you do. You will also develop fat deposit ratios in different body areas than when you are young. Again, nothing you can do about it. Then there's gravity. It'll play a roll also. You can cite all the studies you can find, but if you are huge when you are 27, you will struggle to not look flabby and have manboobs at 50. It's a combination if things. I didn't say it can't be done, but in all likelihood, you won't have the joint health, metabolism, or time, to workout intensely enough to maintain size without becoming flabby.

penguinz 07-10-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9803762)
I've always wondered what it's like to have traps.

Traps are easy. You just have to put the effort in on them.

lewdog 07-10-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9804348)

As far as aging, yes, muscle WILL turn to fat as you age no matter what you do.

:facepalm:

Your showing your lack of knowledge and just going by what you have experienced. No where can you find that muscle turns to fat. The body simply does not have any physiological response where this happens. NEVER. I have no idea why so many people think that but is simply is not true. Muscles can atrophy but simply do not turn to fat.

But yes, increase in bodyfat as we age due to physiological changes in decreased testosterone and estrogen increases. Doesn't mean it can't be avoided, but I agree is much harder as we age.

Your knees also aren't made to take the pounding of running and the triathlons that you said you did. Maybe we should just all avoid exercise?

penguinz 07-10-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

I should hope your joints ate good. You are only 27. Human joints aren't designed to carry loads in excess if ideal body weight. They also aren't designed to torque against the heavy loads weight lifting applies.

As far as aging, yes, muscle WILL turn to fat as you age no matter what you do. You will also develop fat deposit ratios in different body areas than when you are young. Again, nothing you can do about it. Then there's gravity. It'll play a roll also. You can cite all the studies you can find, but if you are huge when you are 27, you will struggle to not look flabby and have manboobs at 50. It's a combination if things. I didn't say it can't be done, but in all likelihood, you won't have the joint health, metabolism, or time, to workout intensely enough to maintain size without becoming flabby.

Completely untrue.

lewdog 07-10-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

I didn't say it can't be done, but in all likelihood, you won't have the joint health, metabolism, or time, to workout intensely enough to maintain size without becoming flabby.

Oh and I currently workout 5 hours a week lifting weights. I bet I can keep that up.

You body doesn't give up muscle mass unless the stimulus is removed. And I don't plan to give up lifting. If my body starts to change, joints hurt, etc, you adjust your training. It's called instinctive training. Anyone who is serious into working out realizes there is more than one way to skin a cat. Many lifters start to decrease the percentages of their working sets and can continue to maintain their muscle mass with less stress on the joints as they age. I've seen it.

And the metabolism issues has been discussed to death. Yea your metabolisms slows down with aging, so when I am 40 years old I won't eat as much to maintain my size and maybe add in some cardio to increase my caloric expenditure. Your experience simply doesn't have to be the case. I've met plenty that don't "turn flabby" as they age.

You seem like a nice guy and usually good poster, but the "information" you are posting is simply not true.

Simply Red 07-10-2013 09:18 PM

no what happens is people grow old and blame age for the lack of results from zero/lost effort. See the 1000 year old gold pro on EPSNn tonight?

Simply Red 07-10-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9804416)
Oh and I currently workout 5 hours a week lifting weights. I bet I can keep that up.

that's great lewdog.

:clap:

tooge 07-10-2013 09:49 PM

Lewdog, I hope u are correct. I haven't turned flabby at all. In fact, I'm 5'10 and 188 lbs with a 32 inch waist. Been this way for years, and I'm one of the more muscular lt fit guys I know at my age. My point is that it is much much more difficult to maintain that mass after 35 or so. Muscles don't "turn to fat" per say, but muscle mass wants to decrease as you age and be replaced by fat/flab as metabolism slows. Trust me, my knees are paying for the triathlons tears ago and I've had three shoulder surgeries, so heavy lifting is out for me anyhow. I guess I was trying to point out that a leaner/smaller build will be easier to maintain as you age then a large bulky build if you still want to look good. If you think you will have that time, then good on you! I've got two kids, a busy job, and community things I do. Now, most of my work louts are plyimeyric and core in nature. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just giving you the viewpoint of someone that's 20 years older and looked alot like you 20 years ago. I'd train differently if I could go back.

I know what it takes to build what you've built, and for that, good job. Again, just one view point to consider.

lewdog 07-10-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9804499)
Lewdog, I hope u are correct. I haven't turned flabby at all. In fact, I'm 5'10 and 188 lbs with a 32 inch waist. Been this way for years, and I'm one of the more muscular lt fit guys I know at my age. My point is that it is much much more difficult to maintain that mass after 35 or so. Muscles don't "turn to fat" per say, but muscle mass wants to decrease as you age and be replaced by fat/flab as metabolism slows. Trust me, my knees are paying for the triathlons tears ago and I've had three shoulder surgeries, so heavy lifting is out for me anyhow. I guess I was trying to point out that a leaner/smaller build will be easier to maintain as you age then a large bulky build if you still want to look good. If you think you will have that time, then good on you! I've got two kids, a busy job, and community things I do. Now, most of my work louts are plyimeyric and core in nature. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just giving you the viewpoint of someone that's 20 years older and looked alot like you 20 years ago. I'd train differently if I could go back.

I know what it takes to build what you've built, and for that, good job. Again, just one view point to consider.

No problem and as I stated, when the time comes, I will adjust my training as needed. If my body changes in the muscle department, fine. Doesn't mean I will base my training now, around what might happen later. I like to lift heavy more of the enjoyment of pushing numbers...the muscle mass was more a side effect from how I like to train anyway.

I used to be bigger anyway and this year I actually cut about 15lbs because I was feeling a bit sluggish and out of shape. I still don't consider myself very big and maybe the picture is a bit misleading.

And given your stats, you sound like you have it dialed in! Weird that you have been able to keep your physique in check but for some reason think you can't maintain a decent physique as you age?

Silock 07-10-2013 11:01 PM

I'm 32 1/2. I plan on looking like this at 40.

Silock 07-11-2013 12:42 AM

Day 31:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...AB482666AF.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...AB4DE26CE4.jpg

Workout:

I wasn't planning on doing ANYTHING today, but I got called in to sub for a friend's soccer team. I told him I'd come and sub, but I didn't want to play a lot. So, naturally, they didn't have any other subs, so I played the whole game. Yay. I was tired. WAY too tired. Ugh.

Nutrition:

Iso Sensation + MCT oil shake
Grilled chicken
Grilled chicken salad
Coffee

Totals: 1,205 cals, 21g carbs, 27g fat, 225g protein

KCrockaholic 07-11-2013 01:22 AM

I hate your hair. Lucky bastard.

ChiefGator 07-11-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9803803)
. . . Well . . . do you?

BRO?

Nah, fitness for me is more about cardio. Just started back on a regime where I walk at least 45 minutes a day. Not a real fan of jogging/running since I had knee damage as a kid.

Probably switch up to more core, strength building after two more weeks of cardio though.

Silock 07-11-2013 02:52 AM

What about biking? I love it, but I'm too poor to afford a bike that I will only rarely use.

tooge 07-11-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9804529)
No problem and as I stated, when the time comes, I will adjust my training as needed. If my body changes in the muscle department, fine. Doesn't mean I will base my training now, around what might happen later. I like to lift heavy more of the enjoyment of pushing numbers...the muscle mass was more a side effect from how I like to train anyway.

I used to be bigger anyway and this year I actually cut about 15lbs because I was feeling a bit sluggish and out of shape. I still don't consider myself very big and maybe the picture is a bit misleading.

And given your stats, you sound like you have it dialed in! Weird that you have been able to keep your physique in check but for some reason think you can't maintain a decent physique as you age?

Oh, you can, its just a hell of a lot harder. My diet now is about 90 percent vegan with salmon thrown in about 3 times a week and protein shakes to help with protein.

tooge 07-11-2013 07:24 AM

biking is awesome. I bought a Specialized hybrid bike about 20 years ago and still use it today. Waaaay easier on the knees. Really tones up the calves too.

Omaha 07-11-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9804416)
Anyone who is serious into working out realizes there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Welcome to crossfit, baby!!!! ;)

BigCatDaddy 07-11-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9804820)
Welcome to crossfit, baby!!!! ;)

KIWF!

Omaha 07-11-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9804733)
What about biking? I love it, but I'm too poor to afford a bike that I will only rarely use.

I had been biking quite a bit for the last 5 years so I figured it was time to get a really nice road bike. I was biking enough to justify that, right? I tested several bikes over several months until I found the one that just felt perfect for me. It was out of my price range, but it was so perfect that I bought it anyway... for what I considered to be an obscene amount of money for a bike. About 2 months later, I started having neck pain while riding and after. After finally having an MRI, I found that I have bone spurs in my spine and road bikes put me in too much of an aggressive position. I had to go out & buy a hybrid bike to get me into a more upright position. Now I have a crazy expensive piece of garage art that makes me want to vomit every time I look at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9804812)
biking is awesome. I bought a Specialized hybrid bike about 20 years ago and still use it today. Waaaay easier on the knees. Really tones up the calves too.

The hybrid that I just bought is a Specialized Sirrus. I love that thing.

Omaha 07-11-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9804825)
KIWF!

ROFL I had to do it.

BigCatDaddy 07-11-2013 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9804833)
ROFL I had to do it.

ChiefGator 07-11-2013 08:25 AM

Yeah, biking is damn good exercise, and if you don't live in the middle of nowhere, can be a part of your daily routine.

I used to walk to work and back, which was a good hour each day. But then my job moved me off campus and I am forced to drive. Quite detrimental to my overall health.

Buehler445 07-11-2013 08:36 AM

Pest,

I've done some sprinting instead of LSD running. If I run LSD more than once a week I get shin splints BAD. I've done some sprints and longer mid distance with some success. I still have to ice my shins but at least I can keep going.

I'm not familiar with sprint 8, but I usually try to do some interval or ladder training. If you're on a round track you can adjust the recovery time as you improve. I did better when I ran with a buddy to push me.

My advice is to not go all out for awhile. That's a good way to shred every muscle you have. Even 90% is way different than all out. I pulled my hammy in college and never want to do it again so I always run into my sprint. Back up 10 yards and ease into it.

But I like sprinting. I ran track and cross country in high school and if I'm just working out its a lot easier for me to get up for 100M than it is for 5 miles.

Buehler445 07-11-2013 08:40 AM

Ohhhh sprint 8 is on a treadmill. Yeah. Disregard everything I said.

Saul Good 07-11-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9804901)
Ohhhh sprint 8 is on a treadmill. Yeah. Disregard everything I said.

Hell no. Don't do it on a treadmill.

Buehler445 07-11-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9804914)

Maybe I missed something. I googled it and it brought up some treadmill site. If there is a program outside of the treadmill, do it on a track.

Omaha 07-11-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9804921)
Maybe I missed something. I googled it and it brought up some treadmill site. If there is a program outside of the treadmill, do it on a track.

You just need something to keep time and some open space. Treadmills are the suck. Stay away from them.

ChiefGator 07-11-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9804895)
I've done some sprinting instead of LSD running. If I run LSD more than once a week I get shin splints BAD.

I never run when I'm on LSD. Usually just sit around and giggle and occasionally say 'Woah!'

morphius 07-11-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9804914)

I hate running, so I do my HIIT cardio on an elliptical machine.

Buehler445 07-11-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9804947)
You just need something to keep time and some open space. Treadmills are the suck. Stay away from them.

I'd agree with that. Although a track is easier on your joints. I just googled sprint 8 and the first 5 links were vision treadmills or something.

Sorry for the confusion. So yeah. We're back to regarding my initial post. Especially the parts about keeping yourself in one piece.

The Franchise 07-11-2013 09:43 AM

Went to go pick up the kids last night and saw two high school aged guys running sprints up a hill with weighted vests on. Bastards....

Saul Good 07-11-2013 09:51 AM

The problem with a treadmill is that you can't sprint at a constant speed for 30 seconds. If you can keep up with the treadmill, it's too slow at the beginning. If it's fast enough at the beginning, you won't be able to keep up with it at the end.

Get a couple hundred yard long space to run. Sprint for 30 seconds, then slowly jog back for 90 seconds. It should be pretty close to even.

Omaha 07-11-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9805039)
Went to go pick up the kids last night and saw two high school aged guys running sprints up a hill with weighted vests on. Bastards....

We do that at my gym. I love/hate it. So much fun/suck!

Aspengc8 07-11-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9805035)
I'd agree with that. Although a track is easier on your joints. I just googled sprint 8 and the first 5 links were vision treadmills or something.

Sorry for the confusion. So yeah. We're back to regarding my initial post. Especially the parts about keeping yourself in one piece.

Hills are even easier on your joints. Kicks your ass a lot more too.

NewChief 07-11-2013 10:48 AM

I did sprint 8 on the treadmill, and I've done it outside. I had good luck with both, but I prefer outside. On a treadmill I'd usually crank it to 15 the entire 30 seconds. On pavement I probably started out at 17 then was at 10 be the end of the thirty second. I will say that you look like madman doing it on the treadmill.

jiveturkey 07-11-2013 11:48 AM

My spring workout is at the local HS. They have a nice track.

I do between 2 and 3 miles (the hotter it is the closer I am to 2 miles). I sprint the straights and walk the turns.

8-12 100 meter sprints.

I have the Merrell Road Glove 1 and 2 (I prefer the first version but 2 is more stylish).

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...2?dimensions=0

The barefoot running shoes have made a huge difference on my knees and ankles. I've read that they also help with shin splints.

NewChief 07-11-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9805417)
My spring workout is at the local HS. They have a nice track.

I do between 2 and 3 miles (the hotter it is the closer I am to 2 miles). I sprint the straights and walk the turns.

8-12 100 meter sprints.

I have the Merrell Road Glove 1 and 2 (I prefer the first version but 2 is more stylish).

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...2?dimensions=0

The barefoot running shoes have made a huge difference on my knees and ankles. I've read that they also help with shin splints.

I wear the trail gloves, and I really like them.

jiveturkey 07-11-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9805508)
I wear the trail gloves, and I really like them.

I also have the trail version (first gen) but I don't actually run in them. They're more for farting around.

NewChief 07-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9805590)
I also have the trail version (first gen) but I don't actually run in them. They're more for farting around.

I don't do a ton of running, so yeah. I use them for the gym, when I'm not barefoot there, as well as hiking.

jiveturkey 07-11-2013 01:02 PM

I never considered them for hiking. That's the one time I usually want a little cushion.

NewChief 07-11-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 9805630)
I never considered them for hiking. That's the one time I usually want a little cushion.

Well, if I'm going bushwacking and/or carrying a load, I wear my Merrell Wilderness boots (which I've had since 1996, btw, and put probably 2,000 miles on. Awesome boots). I use the trail gloves when I'm "walking" with my boys on a trail that isn't going to be too extreme.

Omaha 07-11-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9805604)
I don't do a ton of running, so yeah. I use them for the gym, when I'm not barefoot there, as well as hiking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9805635)
Well, if I'm going bushwacking and/or carrying a load, I wear my Merrell Wilderness boots (which I've had since 1996, btw, and put probably 2,000 miles on. Awesome boots). I use the trail gloves when I'm "walking" with my boys on a trail that isn't going to be too extreme.

I use mine for hiking every time I do it. I love them.

Aspengc8 07-11-2013 07:54 PM

My training parter and I picked up a set of EliteFTS resistance bands to add to our training. Holy shit do these destroy you. We used the 'medium' band on incline bench and worked up to 275 for a couple triples. I can't believe how hard it is to lock out with these. Farted around with using them on some hammer strength press machines and have never had to work this hard with such a small amount of weight. Best $70 I have spent on training gear in a while.

Omaha 07-11-2013 09:22 PM

I went to crossfit today and halfway mastered rope climbs. We had a little competition style workout today. We split into two person teams and each person had to climb a rope, do burpees, and run 100 meters - 10 rounds. My partner and I both just learned how to do rope climbs today and we were still competitive. I know a lot of you guys hate crossfit, but it was a blast. I had so much fun I almost went back and did it again with the afternoon group.

NewChief 07-11-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806566)
I went to crossfit today and halfway mastered rope climbs. We had a little competition style workout today. We split into two person teams and each person had to climb a rope, do burpees, and run 100 meters - 10 rounds. My partner and I both just learned how to do rope climbs today and we were still competitive. I know a lot of you guys hate crossfit, but it was a blast. I had so much fun I almost went back and did it again with the afternoon group.

I don't Crossfit, but this points to one of the things I love about fictional fitness. It reminds me of one day being at a church picnic and a kid's kite went a couple of branches up in a tree. I walked over and did a muscle up into the first branch, stood on it, untangled the kite, and jumped to the ground. When i returned to the adults, another Middle Aged parent said, "how the hell did you do that?" I didn't really think much of it, but I realized that among that group of people few could have done it.

Omaha 07-11-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9806581)
I don't Crossfit, but this points to one of the things I love about fictional fitness. It reminds me of one day being at a church picnic and a kid's kite went a couple of branches up in a tree. I walked over and did a muscle up into the first branch, stood on it, untangled the kite, and jumped to the ground. When i returned to the adults, another Middle Aged parent said, "how the hell did you do that?" I didn't really think much of it, but I realized that among that group of people few could have done it.

Fictional fitness?

NewChief 07-11-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806585)
Fictional fitness?

Haha. Autocorrect is funny sometimes. Should be functional, but fictional works too.

Omaha 07-11-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9806589)
Haha. Autocorrect is funny sometimes. Should be functional, but fictional works too.

I figured that's what you meant. Even autocorrect hates crossfit.

The owner of our crossfit gym has a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. He was talking about having t-shirts made that say Crossfit Snap City.

BigCatDaddy 07-11-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806600)
I figured that's what you meant. Even autocorrect hates crossfit.

The owner of our crossfit gym has a pretty good sense of humor about it, too. He was talking about having t-shirts made that say Crossfit Snap City.

That's cool. I don't think most Cross Fitters realized how much it's mocked in weight centered gyms. I crack at least a few burpee and Zumba jokes every time I'm in.

lewdog 07-11-2013 10:01 PM

Hey Omaha, if you're gonna talk about gay shit. Create a new thread for it please.

Omaha 07-11-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog. (Post 9806625)
Hey Omaha, if you're gonna talk about gay shit. Create a new thread for it please.

Settle down. You're the ****tard who posted a pic of your sweet ass moobs on here.

lewdog 07-11-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806664)
Settle down. You're the ****tard who posted a pic of your sweet ass moobs on here.

ROFL

I can read jealousy!

Omaha 07-11-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9806611)
That's cool. I don't think most Cross Fitters realized how much it's mocked in weight centered gyms. I crack at least a few burpee and Zumba jokes every time I'm in.

Sure. I think most guys are aware of that. The guy who owns my place does a great job with it. I don't know if you guys paid any attention to the crossfit games on espn last summer, but the guy who finished 3rd and the girl who finished 12th both work out at my gym. That's pretty amazing for a little gym in Omaha, NE.

lewdog 07-11-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806681)
Sure. I think most guys are aware of that. The guy who owns my place does a great job with it. I don't know if you guys paid any attention to the crossfit games on espn last summer, but the guy who finished 3rd and the girl who finished 12th both work out at my gym. That's pretty amazing for a little gym in Omaha, NE.

I wonder when Crossfit is finally going to admit that many, if not most of the top competitors are juicing. Not that I care but it surely isn't a clean sport like everyone wants to pretend. You start putting sponsorship and money involved and there will always be "cheating." Some of those women have some incredible muscular bodies!

Omaha 07-11-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9806687)
I wonder when Crossfit is finally going to admit that many, if not most of the top competitors are juicing. Not that I care but it surely isn't a clean sport like everyone wants to pretend. You start putting sponsorship and money involved and there will always be "cheating." Some of those women have some incredible muscular bodies!

I don't know anything about that. I don't know of anyone at my place doing it, but that means nothing. I like to assume everyone who does better than me at any of the workouts is cheating but that also means nothing.

I would guess it happens like it does in other sports. Everyone I know is so consumed with paleo that I can't imagine them doing anything like that.

Silock 07-11-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9806709)
I don't know anything about that. I don't know of anyone at my place doing it, but that means nothing. I like to assume everyone who does better than me at any of the workouts is cheating but that also means nothing.

I would guess it happens like it does in other sports. Everyone I know is so consumed with paleo that I can't imagine them doing anything like that.

The vast majority aren't on ESPN, either.

Omaha 07-11-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9806713)
The vast majority aren't on ESPN, either.

Vast majority of what?