ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9716468)
That will even out with the start of your 2nd half schedule dummy. You cant make up these 4 games.

Did you ever stop to think that the Reds are as close as they are due to their schedule and that these four games may not matter as much as you think once it actually evens out?

ShowtimeSBMVP 05-29-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9716476)
Did you ever stop to think that the Reds are as close as they are due to their schedule and that these four games may not matter as much as you think once it actually evens out?

Can you really sit here and say interleague rivalries are fair?

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9716482)
Can you really sit here and say interleague rivalries are fair?

Show me a post where I said they were.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9716204)
I'm okay with Holliday. I mean, I'm never going to rush out and buy a Holliday jersey, but he's our No. 1 guy, like it or not. I just hope he's still useful in October.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcwIEupH7UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 11:29 AM

Did those games help us out in 2011 when we were 11.5 games out in late August and went on to take the title?

duncan_idaho 05-29-2013 12:34 PM

Appreciate the responses.

1) Alex Gordon's defensive value at 3B was basically the same as David Freese (neutral to slightly below average). His worst seasons defensively - 2009 and 2010 - also happened during seasons Gordon was injured and in small sample sizes. He could definitely play everyday there. He also can play 1B and would be an upgrade over Craig or Adams.

Like you guys said... They would get him in that lineup.

We'll see how Holliday closes the year, but right now Gordon is a better offensive player (and defensive and baserunning abilities are really not close). How much time is left on that Holliday contact? I remember he's making $20 million/year or so...

2) I was looking at 2011, 2012 and this season when comparing Shields and Wainwright initially (because I was lazy and that was the default in the StatsPass setting I was using). Since wainwright didn't pitch in 2011, I was comparing 2010, 2012 and 2013 for Waino to 2011-now for Shields (stupid Tommy John).

I don't have a problem saying Wainwright is better historically or that he is a few slots higher on the totem pole in the grand scheme of things. Assuming he fully recovers from TJ (and it looks like he has), Wainwright is one of the top 15 pitchers in baseball, easily and without any debate. I think you could comfortably say Shields is one of the 20-25 pitchers in baseball, easily and without any debate. Especially considering that he is a career AL and AL East pitcher.

It was the claim that Shields wasn't even in the same zip code (and, subsequently, pointing out that the two pitchers are closer/more similar than some might realize of late) that touched off the hysteria and anger.

3) I full expect Butler's career to start to slide downhill once he reaches his mid-30s. No argument there. I know that Bill James' whiz-bang career projection tool spits out about a 24 percent chance that Butler reaches 3k hits. I think that's high and would say it's more like a 10 or 15 percent chance.

People over there were giving it a "winning Powerball" chance, though, which is silly.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 01:40 PM

Holliday makes about 17 MM. He's just been "blah" to start this season. Never had an extended hot streak, but he's never looked completely helpless either. He's also been a little unlucky to start the year. His K rate has dropped precipitously and his BABIP is .267, but his GB rate is up while his LD rate is a touch down, but at the same rate it was when he was a 6 WAR player in 2010.

Gordon's near .400 BABIP is a might ridiculous.

O.city 05-29-2013 01:47 PM

If he could play an equal defensive third base, I'd put Gordon there, put him in the 2 hole and forget about it.

I don't think I'd take him over Craig and/or Adams at first simply because I'm not sure he would have the thud to hit 4th as they do/can.

But to put him and Carpenter in front of Holliday, Craig, Beltran, Yadi, would be pretty impressive.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9716753)
If he could play an equal defensive third base, I'd put Gordon there, put him in the 2 hole and forget about it.

I don't think I'd take him over Craig and/or Adams at first simply because I'm not sure he would have the thud to hit 4th as they do/can.

But to put him and Carpenter in front of Holliday, Craig, Beltran, Yadi, would be pretty impressive.

Gordon is a better hitter than Craig, and he has proven quite durable, something Craig has yet to really do. He's a .300/.370 OBP guy who is going to hit around 20 HR and 40 2B (and that's in a lineup where he has much less help than he would in St. Louis, and much more pressure). If you don't like him 4th, hit him 2nd or 3rd and drop Beltran and Holliday down a slot.

Or forget about Gordon at 1st or 3rd. Play Matt Holliday at 1B and leave Gordon in left. Keeps Holliday's bat in the lineup and moves him off of a position where he is below- to fringe-average. Holliday might also be able to avoid the nagging injuries that always seem to steal a couple of weeks from each of his seasons.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9716740)
Holliday makes about 17 MM. He's just been "blah" to start this season. Never had an extended hot streak, but he's never looked completely helpless either. He's also been a little unlucky to start the year. His K rate has dropped precipitously and his BABIP is .267, but his GB rate is up while his LD rate is a touch down, but at the same rate it was when he was a 6 WAR player in 2010.

Gordon's near .400 BABIP is a might ridiculous.

His BABIP each of the past two seasons has been Jeter-esque. Something like .357.

At this point, I'd expect the .396 BABIP to correct down but probably end up a smidge higher than in 2011 and 2012 since we're already through nearly 1/3 of the season.

DJ's left nut 05-29-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9716796)
Gordon is a better hitter than Craig, and he has proven quite durable, something Craig has yet to really do. He's a .300/.370 OBP guy who is going to hit around 20 HR and 40 2B (and that's in a lineup where he has much less help than he would in St. Louis, and much more pressure). If you don't like him 4th, hit him 2nd or 3rd and drop Beltran and Holliday down a slot.

Or forget about Gordon at 1st or 3rd. Play Matt Holliday at 1B and leave Gordon in left. Keeps Holliday's bat in the lineup and moves him off of a position where he is below- to fringe-average. Holliday might also be able to avoid the nagging injuries that always seem to steal a couple of weeks from each of his seasons.

Gordon also hits lefthanded.

It hasn't mattered this year, but for his career there is a noticeable split there. Good, RH, RBI bats are really in short supply, especially in the Cardinals system.

I'd be extremely reluctant to take a RH bat out of the lineup in favor of another LHer.

I'm also FAR from willing to just concede that Alex Gordon is a better hitter than Allen Craig. Craig's going to hit for more power year in, year out, IMO. Additionally, while Gordon's more likely to draw a walk, he's also more likely to strike out. Seeing as how Craig is used as an RBI/Cleanup hitter, his ability to make contact more frequently is largely what makes him such an outstanding RBI guy. I know RBI is team dependent, but if all things are equal, Craig is a better RBI hitter due to his approach.

In the end, they're comparable hitters, but Gordon is a better athlete/baserunner. I think it's hard to go wrong with either one, but given the difficulty in finding a premier RH RBI bat, I'd prefer keep the righty and sacrifice the athleticism, especially if we're talking about a scenario where either player is at 1b.

Matt Adams? Pft - Gordon in a walk. Adams may be great someday, but the book on him is out right now (hard in, hard in, soft away; take a seat). He needs to adjust to pitchers adjusting to him before I start including him in any of these conversations.

duncan_idaho 05-29-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9716861)
Gordon also hits lefthanded.

It hasn't mattered this year, but for his career there is a noticeable split there. Good, RH, RBI bats are really in short supply, especially in the Cardinals system.

I'd be extremely reluctant to take a RH bat out of the lineup in favor of another LHer.

I'm also FAR from willing to just concede that Alex Gordon is a better hitter than Allen Craig. Craig's going to hit for more power year in, year out, IMO. Additionally, while Gordon's more likely to draw a walk, he's also more likely to strike out. Seeing as how Craig is used as an RBI/Cleanup hitter, his ability to make contact more frequently is largely what makes him such an outstanding RBI guy. I know RBI is team dependent, but if all things are equal, Craig is a better RBI hitter due to his approach.

In the end, they're comparable hitters, but Gordon is a better athlete/baserunner. I think it's hard to go wrong with either one, but given the difficulty in finding a premier RH RBI bat, I'd prefer keep the righty and sacrifice the athleticism, especially if we're talking about a scenario where either player is at 1b.

Matt Adams? Pft - Gordon in a walk. Adams may be great someday, but the book on him is out right now (hard in, hard in, soft away; take a seat). He needs to adjust to pitchers adjusting to him before I start including him in any of these conversations.

Fair enough. We'll see how it plays out this year, and if Craig can stay healthy. I think you'd see Gordon hit for more power in a better lineup with better protection and slotted in an RBi spot. Not playing half of his games in the K (being told by his hitting coach to try to avoid hitting HR because of the park) would also probably help...

Final food for thought: Alex Gordon is fifth in MLB in WAR since the start of 2011 (the year of his swing/approach change and consequential re-emergence). Just saying...

His career renaissance has been, literally, remarkable. At least one thing has gone right recently for KC.

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9716204)
I'm okay with Holliday. I mean, I'm never going to rush out and buy a Holliday jersey, but he's our No. 1 guy, like it or not. I just hope he's still useful in October.

OMG! :LOL:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9LpZuF4DJf...8672864870.jpg

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 06:05 PM

I wasn't here last baseball season, is frazod a Holliday hater or something?

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9716420)
1) Would Alex Gordon start for the Cardinals?

I think you'd have to find a place for him, but really - Holliday's not going anywhere. A) He just flat makes too much money. But really, it's more than that. He's a damn gutty player and I think he's a good 'complementary' leader. He's a guy that is a great 'leader by example'. I think you need vocal leaders as well, but Holliday's been a winning ballplayer his whole career and I do think the young players on this roster respect the hell out of him and how he approaches the game.

Gordon can't really play CF and Beltran can't either. In 2014 you'd have an easy answer - Beltran walks, Gordon plays RF and Taveras gets wedged into CF. In 2013, however, I'd rather have Beltran. You forget how nice it is to have a switch hitter in the center of your lineup until you have one. Apart from that, Beltran's just a timely HR machine. I like Gordon a lot and ultimately Beltran will have a streak where he's completely lost at some point this year, but Beltran's ability to switch hit combined with his HR pop gives him the edge, IMO. And while Gordon's not had a chance to prove it, I think it's extremely unlikely that he proves himself to be the post-season player that Beltran has shown to be.

But if you truly believe he's capable of playing 3b - there's your answer. I'd play him ahead of Freese all day, every day. He's simply a better player.

2) Wainwright and Shields.

Sorry, gonna have to agree with the other Cards fans here, but only because I think Wainwright was criminally underrated in 2009 and 2010. A Gold Glove winner, back to back top 3 finishes in the CY voting. 200+ Ks, leading the league in IPs while putting up an ERA+ of 155 and 160. That Adam Wainwright wasn't a tier below anyone. He didn't throw as hard as some of the guys you mentioned, but he was every bit as effective as Kershaw, Felix and essentially anyone else (Verlander's absurd year notwithstanding). No, Adam Wainwright was not a 2nd tier ace in 2009 or 2010 - he was as good as anyone there was.

This year he looks more like that Wainwright than the 2012 model. He's also a guy that's shown the stones to strike out one of the greatest post-season hitters in history in a Game 7 on the road with the winning run on base.

Ultimately, prior to this season, Shields has had only 1 truly great year. And yeah, 2011 was a remarkable season for him, but I don't think it was better than Wainwright's 2009 and it certainly wasn't better than his 2010. And if he's truly back to that form, and it looks like he might be, he's simply a little better pitcher than Shields with a better resume.

3) Billy Butler has a shot at 3000 hits.

Here's the problem, I once had this exact same discussion regarding Edgar Renteria. At the same age Billy Butler is now, Edgar had nearly 1,500 hits and had just come off the most productive 3 years of his career. He was a lynchpin hitter for a 105 win ballclub and looked for all the world like a guy that could reach 3,000.

He didn't even make it to 2,400.

The conversation doesn't matter. Sure, Butler could do it, but his odds are a hell of a lot worse than Edgar's were, IMO and Edgar didn't even approach it. 3,000 hit guys are made in their late 30s. Either they're guys like Craig Biggio that keep knocking out 170 hit seasons after their 35 birthdays or they're Edgar. In other words - it's just not a conversation worth having for another 7 years.

Look at it this way - Butler's 3 years ahead of David Ortiz, essentially. So even if you presume that those will be 3 good years, you're talking about adding another 550 or so hits to his total than Ortiz. David Ortiz has aged better than any bad body hitter I can remember and he hits in a perfect park for him - he's still not going to get to within 500 hits of 3,000.

I'd be shocked if Butler topped 2500, truth be told. But if he can get to 2400 by the time he's 35, he has a shot. That seems damn unlikely to me.

1. No, the opening we have is for SS and maybe if Taveras can't handle, CF.
  2. Wainwright is way better than Shields. But I do love Shields.
  3. I don't think so. 3000 hits is a tough haul.

Frazod 05-29-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9717298)

His tendency to piss his pants in the postseason irks me.

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9717298)

Do I have a man crush on Miller and Rosenthal?

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9717303)

I see, just trying to understand the pic he posted.

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 06:13 PM

His injury problems is what irked me, I would always know it would be a matter of time before he made a DL stint.

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 06:18 PM

I just checked, 2011 was the only season he missed some time but damn it seems like hes always hurt.

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9717325)
I just checked, 2011 was the only season he missed some time but damn it seems like hes always hurt.

check his stats about "choking" too. He's just not that bad.

Marcellus 05-29-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9717303)

Frazod is still pissed about the dropped fly ball. Seriously.

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9717440)
check his stats about "choking" too. He's just not that bad.

I like Holliday. Never considered him a choker.

Frazod 05-29-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9717452)
Frazod is still pissed about the dropped fly ball. Seriously.

I wouldn't say that, but thinking about it still pisses me off.

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9717507)
I wouldn't say that, but thinking about it still pisses me off.

And standing out there eating sunflower seeds....:mad:

LiL stumppy 05-29-2013 09:04 PM

what a freaking play but escobar

Rams Fan 05-29-2013 09:12 PM

So in the GDT, Hamas brought up 2007 after I mentioned Kip Wells.

It's ****ing astounding how different the rotation is from then. I still don't understand how Walt thought Wells could be a capable #2 when he had done nothing in his career previously to prove that. And there was nothing in the minors.

Jewish Rabbi 05-29-2013 09:30 PM

It's absolutely un-****ing-real that we have four starting pitchers on the DL (Carp, Garcia, Westbrook, Gast) and haven't skipped a beat. I can't even remember the last time we've had a starter blow up, each and every starter gives us a chance to win the game.

Jewish Rabbi 05-29-2013 09:32 PM

We've only lost by 3+ runs twice in May.

Rams Fan 05-29-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9718201)
It's absolutely un-****ing-real that we have four starting pitchers on the DL (Carp, Garcia, Westbrook, Gast) and haven't skipped a beat. I can't even remember the last time we've had a starter blow up, each and every starter gives us a chance to win the game.

It's an improvement over P.J. Suppsworth from 2010.

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9718201)

I know, I'm completely stunned.

BigRedChief 05-29-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9718206)
It's an improvement over P.J. Suppsworth from 2010.

Or hoping Walters can pitch?

O.city 05-29-2013 09:37 PM

What's the word on Westbrook?

Frazod 05-29-2013 09:39 PM

And we FINALLY picked up a game on the goddamn Reds. Now up 2.5 games on both them and the Pirates.

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9718221)
And we FINALLY picked up a game on the goddamn Reds. Now up 2.5 games on both them and the Pirates.

They need to learn their role and lose, both of them. I'm more worried about the Dreads than the pirates obviously although I do think Pittsburgh will hang around a little longer than last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 11:22 PM

Pittsburgh would be leading any other division in baseball and they're in third. Crazy.

Frazod 05-29-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9718348)
Pittsburgh would be leading any other division in baseball and they're in third. Crazy.

I look forward to the upcoming Reds/Pirates series. They need to start beating the shit out of each other.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-29-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9718359)
I look forward to the upcoming Reds/Pirates series. They need to start beating the shit out of each other.

Any near-Earth asteroids crossing our orbit soon?

Frazod 05-29-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9718363)

That works.

Although if I only get one asteroid, I'd still prefer it hit at a Broncos/Raiders game in Oakland.

Swanman 05-30-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9718368)
That works.

Although if I only get one asteroid, I'd still prefer it hit at a Broncos/Raiders game in Oakland.

Can I have a little asteroid for the ESPN studios if Dickhead V and Stu Scott are in the building?

Third Eye 05-30-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9718624)
Can I have a little asteroid for the ESPN studios if Dickhead V and Stu Scott are in the building?

Dick Vitale is one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9718147)
So in the GDT, Hamas brought up 2007 after I mentioned Kip Wells.

It's ****ing astounding how different the rotation is from then. I still don't understand how Walt thought Wells could be a capable #2 when he had done nothing in his career previously to prove that. And there was nothing in the minors.

Walt was desperate. As the game wisened up, his ability to extract sick value in trades lessened, which made him a less valuable GM. If you look at his success, his firing would be a major red flag for most organizations, but the Cardinals made the right choice.

I don't even want to think about some of the bloated contracts we'd carry if Jocketty was still here.

Rams Fan 05-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9719000)
Walt was desperate. As the game wisened up, his ability to extract sick value in trades lessened, which made him a less valuable GM. If you look at his success, his firing would be a major red flag for most organizations, but the Cardinals made the right choice.

I don't even want to think about some of the bloated contracts we'd carry if Jocketty was still here.

I think there red flags everywhere before the season started. Losing what? 3/5 of the rotation wasn't good. And replacing the starters with Looper and Wells wasn't a great idea. I don't blame them for giving Reyes a shot and Mulder imploding.

What do you think has been the change in his performance in Cincy?

The talent there before he was hired or his ability to develop a minor league system?

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9719237)
I think there red flags everywhere before the season started. Losing what? 3/5 of the rotation wasn't good. And replacing the starters with Looper and Wells wasn't a great idea. I don't blame them for giving Reyes a shot and Mulder imploding.

What do you think has been the change in his performance in Cincy?

The talent there before he was hired or his ability to develop a minor league system?

Votto, Phillips, Bailey, Bruce, and Cueto were already there. He paid a king's ransom for Chapman, and as good as he is, he's overpaid as a closer. Using Chapman as a closer is as bad as us keeping Rosenthal in the pen in perpetuity, and probably worse given that he's a lefty.

Jocketty did what he usually does. He made mostly good trades and scoured the bargain bin. Trading Hamilton for Volquez was a massive blunder, but he eventually turned Volquez and Alonso (his first draft pick) into Latos.

Cincy was an excellent job to step into, but who has he really added to that team through the draft? Cingrani? He hasn't changed anything about his approach.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9718363)

you asked.........
9X bigger than the QE2 due tomorrow
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...on-online?lite

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 03:24 PM

Wacha! Wacha! Wacha! Lets do this.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9719435)
Wacha! Wacha! Wacha! Lets do this.

Does he go 6-7 innings. 3 hits, 1 run allowed?

Whats the over/under?

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9719460)
Does he go 6-7 innings. 3 hits, 1 run allowed?

Whats the over/under?

They're gonna try and cap him at 150 innings this year. Even if he does well I'd be surprised if he goes into the 7th.

That said, don't expect him to be Shelby Miller. He hasn't missed a ton of bats in AAA, and there's no reason to expect him to do so here. That's why DJ wanted him to stay in Memphis. Until he learns to make a breaking ball an out pitch he may scuffle a bit with big league hitters, as he's not a sinkerballer or a flame thrower. He needs a third pitch, and right now he doesn't have one.

Hopefully the Royals' BABIP luck dries up today.

I'd be content with 6 IP 6H, 1BB, 4K and 2-3 ER.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9719465)
They're gonna try and cap him at 150 innings this year. Even if he does well I'd be surprised if he goes into the 7th.

That said, don't expect him to be Shelby Miller. He hasn't missed a ton of bats in AAA, and there's no reason to expect him to do so here. That's why DJ wanted him to stay in Memphis. Until he learns to make a breaking ball an out pitch he may scuffle a bit with big league hitters, as he's not a sinkerballer or a flame thrower. He needs a third pitch, and right now he doesn't have one.

Hopefully the Royals' BABIP luck dries up today.

I'd be content with 6 IP 6H, 1BB, 4K and 2-3 ER.

yeah I read or saw where Mo was talking averaging 5 innings per start the rest of the year.

We don't need him to be a #3 or higher this year. Just learn and get that damn breaking ball to the major league level. Ask that guy in the locker next to you for some tips.

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 03:58 PM

I think he goes 6, with 5 hits and 2 maybe 3 ER's. This is the perfect line up for him to start his first game against to ease him in the majors. Have to agree with hamas though I wouldn't expect him to be on Millers level.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9719514)
I think he goes 6, with 5 hits and 2 maybe 3 ER's. This is the perfect line up for him to start his first game against to ease him in the majors. Have to agree with hamas though I wouldn't expect him to be on Millers level.

You guys see the video from this afternoon......... about 25 press people standing around Wacha in the dugout asking him how special is he?

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9719539)
You guys see the video from this afternoon......... about 25 press people standing around Wacha in the dugout asking him how special is he?

No, where did you see that?

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9719603)
No, where did you see that?

Fox sports midwest website and STLtoday website.

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9719694)
Fox sports midwest website and STLtoday website.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9719513)
yeah I read or saw where Mo was talking averaging 5 innings per start the rest of the year.

We don't need him to be a #3 or higher this year. Just learn and get that damn breaking ball to the major league level. Ask that guy in the locker next to you for some tips.

If he's only throwing 5 per start he's essentially worthless to us. A better plan would be for us to get him about 15 starts, hoping for about 6 IP per start. From there, transition him to a bullpen role once rosters expand. He probably ends up at 165 or so that way, but that isn't egregious.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9719883)
If he's only throwing 5 per start he's essentially worthless to us. A better plan would be for us to get him about 15 starts, hoping for about 6 IP per start. From there, transition him to a bullpen role once rosters expand. He probably ends up at 165 or so that way, but that isn't egregious.

You can't keep pitching Miller like you have been either. Martinez is suppose to be ready at the end of June. But, how do you spell Miller and Wacha? Just miss a spot start? Does that ever work?

Jewish Rabbi 05-30-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9719917)
You can't keep pitching Miller like you have been either. Martinez is suppose to be ready at the end of June. But, how do you spell Miller and Wacha? Just miss a spot start? Does that ever work?

I don't know how it would work out, but this is the only way I could see Carp being a starter this year. Could three of them fill two spots?

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 07:21 PM

11 pitch first for Wacha, even though its the Royals I like what i see so far.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 07:55 PM

Good to hear Waino was working with Wacha in spring training with his curve ball. If he can put a good curve ball in with that awesome change.....

Jewish Rabbi 05-30-2013 07:57 PM

My god this kid is dealing.

DeezNutz 05-30-2013 08:09 PM

Man, congrats on this kid throwing a no-no in his first ML game. Impressive.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9720121)
My god this kid is dealing.

Perfect game through 4 innings with a solid base hit. Not a bad start to a career.

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 08:18 PM

Kid is filthy.

luv 05-30-2013 09:32 PM

And, of course, it all goes downhill starting with Boggs. Get rid of him.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9720622)
And, of course, it all goes downhill starting with Boggs. Get rid of him.

Man I am so pissed at Matheny. Putting Boggs in there was unforgivable. We all saw that coming. Hope that a pitcher can turn it around in a one run game. He hasn't pitch well at all. Took away a win for wacha. Damn thats the worst move I've seen him make.:cuss:

Frazod 05-30-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9720640)
Man I am so pissed at Matheny. Putting Boggs in there was unforgivable. We all saw that coming. Hope that a pitcher can turn it around in a one run game. He hasn't pitch well at all. Took away a win for wacha. Damn thats the worst move I've seen him make.:cuss:

I'd sooner have Franklin pitching at this point. That ****ing turd has got to go.

luv 05-30-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9720640)

Yeah, the minute I heard that Boggs was coming in, I thought to myself, "aw shit. There goes that win."

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 09:40 PM

Mother**** you Boggs.

Frazod 05-30-2013 09:42 PM

Storming like hell here now, too. DTV is down hard.

Sounds like a good time to play Fallout.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 09:42 PM

He should have stayed with Maness or went to Blazek. Boggs was an arrogant, foolish decision. They deserve to lose this game.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9720676)
Yeah, the minute I heard that Boggs was coming in, I thought to myself, "aw shit. There goes that win."

Matheny said Mujica was unavailable before the game. Didn't say Rosenthal was off the table.

Rosenthal comes in, we win.

BigRedChief 05-30-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9720684)
He should have stayed with Maness or went to Blazek. Boggs was an arrogant, foolish decision. They deserve to lose this game.

Blazek isn't on the roster. He's on the way to Memphis. For crissakes Kelly is better than Boggs.

luv 05-30-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9720684)

At least we won this series, too. Nice streak to keep up.

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 10:02 PM

Yeah lets just get ready for the Giants.

rico 05-30-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9720670)
I'd sooner have Franklin pitching at this point. That ****ing turd has got to go.

In terms of our closers, it seems like we have been the most inconsistent team in the MLB since around Izzy's last season with us.

Jewish Rabbi 05-30-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9720815)
In terms of our closers, it seems like we have been the most inconsistent team in the MLB since around Izzy's last season with us.

Nah, every team is like that really. Closers just don't usually last long for whatever reason.

Franklin was great for a year, Motte was nails last year, Mujica has been incredible this year. Even Salas did a respectable job in the role before he gave way to Motte.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-30-2013 10:26 PM

Closers don't last long because all relievers are failed starters. Shittier pitchers don't last as long as good ones. Occam's Razor.

luv 05-30-2013 10:27 PM

Wish I could find this Boys in the Hall series for sale.

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9720848)
Closers don't last long because all relievers are failed starters. Shittier pitchers don't last as long as good ones. Occam's Razor.

Not too many Mariano Riveras out there sadly.

rico 05-30-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9720831)
Nah, every team is like that really. Closers just don't usually last long for whatever reason.

Franklin was great for a year, Motte was nails last year, Mujica has been incredible this year. Even Salas did a respectable job in the role before he gave way to Motte.

Your probably right.

All the closer woes just seem to stick in my mind eternally when compared to other shit.

Speaking of that (random closer memory): Remember when Dennis Eckersley blew a game for us and he received some boos from the fans and he paced around angrily, muttering what appeared to be something along the lines of, "**** you mother****ers. Kiss my ****ing ass"??? God, my dad wanted to beat the shit out of Eckersley for the longest time after that.