ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official Mizzou Head Basketball Coach Search**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283091)

OmahaChief 05-04-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10602066)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zgPMutCUznI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice highlight reel. Looks legit. Hope he qualifies.

TribalElder 05-04-2014 07:12 PM

"We're winners," Allen said of himself and Anderson. "He's a winner. Where I come from, we won state three times out of four years. We don't like to lose."

Mizzou and Kim will be a rock star relationship

Exciting times for Mizzou in my opinion

KcMizzou 05-04-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10602218)
This is actually a really good sign:

"Coach Anderson, the time that I spent with him, he told me he's not going to sell me dreams. He's going to make me a pro."

A late-add mid-tier 3* getting bullshitted like that is at least proof that Anderson has some car salesman in him.

Heh. True, gotta have a bit of that.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-04-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10602273)
"We're winners," Allen said of himself and Anderson. "He's a winner. Where I come from, we won state three times out of four years. We don't like to lose."

Mizzou and Kim will be a rock star relationship

Exciting times for Mizzou in my opinion

ROFL it's secondary, but still a lot bigger stage than coaching a team called mules

TribalElder 05-04-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10602486)
ROFL it's secondary, but still a lot bigger stage than coaching a team called mules

Mules = Champions :shrug:

TribalElder 05-05-2014 10:59 AM

Sedalia kid is going to Tennessee

bowener 05-05-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10603046)
Sedalia kid is going to Tennessee

Like raaaaaaiiiiin on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
#trueson

The Rick 05-05-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10603317)
Like raaaaaaiiiiin on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
#trueson

:spock:

That "Sedalia kid" is from New York. Just plays at SFCC.

TribalElder 05-08-2014 05:51 PM

I guess we will see how much used car salesman kim has after all

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI
Namon Wright, Missouri basketball signee, can speak with other schools
May 8
BY TOD PALMER
The Kansas City Star

Los Angeles shooting guard Namon Wright on Thursday said on Twitter that he asked for and was granted “permission to talk to other schools/coaches, with restrictions” by Missouri.

Wright, a 6-foot-4 four-star rated guard from Pacific Hills High who is ranked No. 73 overall in the class of 2014 by Rivals.com, signed a national letter of intent with the Tigers in November.

Wright met with new Missouri coach Kim Anderson on Tuesday in Los Angeles and said the meeting went well.

“Recently, I met with Coach Anderson, and I believe he is a really good guy and wants big things out of the program,” Wright said on Twitter. “Our time together was great.”

Wright, who averaged 24 points and 9.3 rebounds as a senior, went on to say that he would “still strongly consider going to Missouri. I just need to make sure I’m in the right situation for me” in a follow-up tweet.

To reach Tod Palmer, call 816-234-4389 or send email to tpalmer@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/todpalmer.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/08...#storylink=cpy

https://mobile.twitter.com/kharyw/st...13175917174785
#MizzouMade tweet. They are going hard on MizzouMade

Pitt Gorilla 05-16-2014 09:57 AM

Namon Wright back on board, per PowerMizzou. If we land Mitchell with the final spot, we've got an outstanding class. KA is getting work done.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-16-2014 10:06 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oQPm6ryPEz...ng+Crow(1).jpg

kepp 05-16-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10633176)

I hope I'm eating crow this time next year.

siberian khatru 05-16-2014 10:07 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/RepresentMizzou">@RepresentMizzou</a> Said he had faith in new staff. Will have article up soon. Sorry, travel day.</p>&mdash; Josh Gershon (@JoshGershon) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/statuses/467327009375272960">May 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pepe Silvia 05-16-2014 10:55 AM

I bet he gets more out of Gant and Wright then Haith would have, heck he might even turn Rosburg into Chris Heller.

Jerm 05-16-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10633176)

Don't feel bad...me too man lol.

Starting to think I might be eating a lot of this in the near future haha.

Pepe Silvia 05-16-2014 11:45 AM

We're all gonna look like a bunch of jerkoffs with that meltdown. ROFL I can feel it.

Sure-Oz 05-16-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10633163)
Namon Wright back on board, per PowerMizzou. If we land Mitchell with the final spot, we've got an outstanding class. KA is getting work done.

Impressive to get Wright back on board

Sure-Oz 05-16-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10633319)
We're all gonna look like a bunch of jerkoffs with that meltdown. ROFL I can feel it.

I hope it's true

Pitt Gorilla 05-16-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

He hasn't won a game yet at Mizzou. That being said, Mizzou fans already look like a bunch of jerkoffs due to the meltdown. It's what Mizzou fan does.

siberian khatru 05-16-2014 01:57 PM

No surprise, Shane Rector is transferring.

TribalElder 05-16-2014 05:06 PM

Kim Anderson!

TribalElder 05-16-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Hopefully Kim kicks some ass. I've seen him handle biz

KChiefs1 05-16-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10633163)

Anderson might work out.

TribalElder 05-16-2014 06:23 PM

I re read this thread, it was quite lolz

Mr_Tomahawk 05-16-2014 06:48 PM

Did you guys when a game or something....?

TrebMaxx 05-16-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10633989)
Did you guys when a game or something....?

LMAO at troll fail!

KcMizzou 05-16-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 10633993)
LMAO at troll fail!

When?

Mr_Tomahawk 05-16-2014 06:56 PM

Hold up...

Did you when teh championship.

TribalElder 05-16-2014 08:05 PM

lol now, cry later

The reckoning is coming

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2014 04:11 PM

According to people on Power Mizzou, Mitchell's momma got involved and wanted him to go to Vandy, while he wanted Mizzou, hence the delay in announcing.

Apparently Mizzou is just a shite school academically and private schools like WF or Vandy are way better. /sarcasm

TribalElder 05-29-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10658482)
According to people on Power Mizzou, Mitchell's momma got involved and wanted him to go to Vandy, while he wanted Mizzou, hence the delay in announcing.

Apparently Mizzou is just a shite school academically and private schools like WF or Vandy are way better. /sarcasm

LMAO... someone should have handled the mammy

TribalElder 05-29-2014 05:07 PM

Mizzou appears to have shifted its attention to Tramaine Isabell, a 6-1 point guard from Seattle, Wash., who signed with Washington State last fall but asked out of his letter of intent after WSU’s coaching change. Isabell, a three-star prospect by recruiting outlets, told the P-D he’s very interested in Missouri and is planning a visit to Columbia after the current NCAA dead period, which ends May 30. Isabell said he's currently choosing between Missouri and Providence. Auburn had been in the mix, too, he said.

Isabell averaged 23.6 points and 3.5 assists per game for Garfield High School as a senior. Garfield has produced a handful of prominent players, including former University of Washington standouts and NBA players Brandon Roy and Tony Wroten.

Isabell said Missouri assistant coach Tim Fuller has “made it very clear” that the Tigers want to add a point guard to its 2014 class.

“They want to put the ball in my hands, score and get my teammates involved,” he said. “It looks like they have the perfect pieces to be successful in a tough league.”

“I’m the type of point guard that does whatever my team needs me to do,” he said. “This year, my team needed me to score more … but I can do it all. I can score. I can distribute. I can play some defense. I know the game and I have a pretty good basketball IQ. I’d love to learn the ins and outs playing for Kim Anderson.”

In March, Isabell clinched the Class 4A Washington state championship for Garfield at the free throw line and scored 34 points in the title game.

“I told him all year that, ‘Hey man, listen, when it gets down to championship time, the ball’s going to be in your hands and you’re the best player, so you make the plays,’ ” Garfield coach Ed Haskins told the Seattle Times. “That’s just basketball. It’s the same thing with the Miami Heat, it’s same thing with Kentucky, it’s same thing with anybody.

“When you have a player like Tramaine on this level you use him, you put the ball in his hands. I’d be a dumb coach if I didn’t do that.”

Isabell is familiar with Mizzou’s program, saying he was a fan of former point guard PhilPressey. He’s also followed former guard JabariBrown’s career at MU, having played against Brown’s Oakland Soldiers AAU team. Plus, he’s no stranger to the SEC: Isabell has always lived in the Seattle area, but his family is originally from Mississippi and he often visits there.

Brandon Chauca, another uncommitted point guard, could be another option. The Greenville, S.C., native visited Washington State and Cal recently.

Sully 05-29-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10658560)

Isabell is familiar with Mizzou’s program, saying he was a fan of former point guard PhilPressey.

Flush him.

TribalElder 05-29-2014 07:57 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hoY7A5lDmKI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TribalElder 05-29-2014 08:03 PM

free throw beast

iced the championship game at the line ROFL

TribalElder 06-02-2014 07:58 PM

Missouri men’s basketball announced Monday that Matt Herring had been hired as the program’s strength and conditioning coach.

Herring most recently served in the same role for the San Antonio Spurs from 2011-13. He takes over as the Tigers’ director of athletic performance after Todor Pandov followed former coach Frank Haith to Tulsa.

“This was a big coup for our program, not only because Matt is a highly respected coach that has trained some of the elite basketball players in the world, but because he will mentor and train our young men in every phase of life,” Missouri coach Kim Anderson said in a release from MU athletics. “Matt has coached and trained at the highest levels throughout his career and has the ability to get the most out of his teams. We are excited to welcome Matt and his family to Mizzou.”

Herring, who graduated from Southwest Texas State in 1994 and earned a master’s at Texas in 2002, began at Oklahoma State and served on the 2004 Final Four staff.

Herring, a native of Austin, Texas, spent the next seven seasons at Florida, including back-to-back national championships in 2006 and 2007.

During his two-year NBA stint, the Spurs went 108-40 and reached the NBA Finals last season before falling in seven games against the Miami Heat. He spent last season as a private instructor in the San Antonio area.

“I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for the (Missouri) athletics department as a whole, as well as this university,” Herring said through MU. “We are very excited to get to town, get to work and become a part of the Mizzou and Columbia communities.”

Herring and his wife, Cindy, have one daughter, Laney.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/06/02...#storylink=cpy

kchero 06-02-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10666598)
Missouri men’s basketball announced Monday that Matt Herring had been hired as the program’s strength and conditioning coach.

Herring most recently served in the same role for the San Antonio Spurs from 2011-13. He takes over as the Tigers’ director of athletic performance after Todor Pandov followed former coach Frank Haith to Tulsa.

“This was a big coup for our program, not only because Matt is a highly respected coach that has trained some of the elite basketball players in the world, but because he will mentor and train our young men in every phase of life,” Missouri coach Kim Anderson said in a release from MU athletics. “Matt has coached and trained at the highest levels throughout his career and has the ability to get the most out of his teams. We are excited to welcome Matt and his family to Mizzou.”

Herring, who graduated from Southwest Texas State in 1994 and earned a master’s at Texas in 2002, began at Oklahoma State and served on the 2004 Final Four staff.

Herring, a native of Austin, Texas, spent the next seven seasons at Florida, including back-to-back national championships in 2006 and 2007.

During his two-year NBA stint, the Spurs went 108-40 and reached the NBA Finals last season before falling in seven games against the Miami Heat. He spent last season as a private instructor in the San Antonio area.

“I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for the (Missouri) athletics department as a whole, as well as this university,” Herring said through MU. “We are very excited to get to town, get to work and become a part of the Mizzou and Columbia communities.”

Herring and his wife, Cindy, have one daughter, Laney.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/06/02...#storylink=cpy

Solid pick up :thumb:

KChiefs1 06-27-2014 08:07 PM

Didn't see this anywhere but another great move by Kim Anderson:

Quote:

mweb.cbssports.com

Missouri hires Huntington Prep coach Rob Fulford as new assistant

There were some questions when Missouri hired Kim Anderson as its new head coach in April, considering he had been a Division-II coach for the last 12 seasons.

But Anderson is answering a lot of those questions with the way he has filled out his staff. He kept ace recruiter Tim Fuller as a holdover from the Frank Haith staff, and added high-profile high school coach Rob Fulford on Monday.

Fulford was the head coach at Huntington Prep, where he coached a number of high-level players -- including none other than Andrew Wiggins.

"I couldn’t be more excited to welcome Rob to the Mizzou family," Anderson said in a release. "Rob is obviously an outstanding coach and he won at an incredible level at Huntington Prep. He is well-respected by his peers and will be a great asset to our program. One of Rob’s biggest strengths is his ability to build relationships with his young men. He gets the most out of his players because of those strong relationships and that’s exactly what we were looking for as we went about completing our staff."

Fulford was at Huntington (W.Va.) for five seasons, going 138-17 in that span.

He has done a terrific job attracting talent to West Virginia, producing dozens of Division-I players as well as first-round draft pick Gorgui Dieng. Fulford has key relationships with people across the country, and will combine with Fuller to form a very good recruiting tandem.

“I want to thank Coach Anderson, Mike Alden and University administration for this incredible opportunity,” Fulford said. “I wasn’t looking to leave Huntington Prep but after speaking with Coach Anderson and seeing his vision for the program, this opportunity was too good to pass up and I’m excited to be a Missouri Tiger.”

This hire comes at a good time for the Tigers -- as elite 2016 prospect Thon Maker is expected to be on campus on Tuesday. Fulford (and Fuller) has a relationship with Maker and his circle, and having him in Columbia for Maker's unofficial can only help. The 2014-15 version of Huntington Prep also has several players that Missouri could potentially get involved with. Thomas Bryant is a five-star 2015 prospect, while Miles Bridges is a top-30 player in the class of 2016.

One name to watch will be Teki Gill-Caesar, a Canada native and a member of the 2015 class. However, there was always talk that Gill-Caesar would reclassify to 2014 -- and Fulford's hire at Missouri could reignite that discussion. Gill-Caesar's academics are fine, but it remains to be seen if he wants to move to 2014. Keep an eye on his situation.

KChiefs1 06-27-2014 08:12 PM

ww.kansascity.com

Quote:

Missouri’s Kim Anderson hires Andrew Wiggins’ former coach as final assistant

Missouri basketball coach Kim Anderson put the finishing touch on his coaching staff Monday, plucking Rob Fulford from Huntington Prep in West Virginia to be his third assistant.

Fulford founded Huntington Prep — where former Kansas star Andrew Wiggins played — in 2009, molding the program into one of the nation’s elite high school basketball teams. The Fighting Irish are 138-17 in five seasons under Fulford and finished third in the nation last season.

“It’s bittersweet for me,” Fulford said. “I’ve poured my heart and soul out here. I’m from West Virginia, so I’ve never left home. Just in speaking with (Anderson) on the phone early on in the process and once I made it to Columbia to do my interviews, there was just a feeling around town, a new excitement for Missouri basketball.”

He wanted to be part of it.

“I had never chased (a college position),” Fulford said. “I obviously have had a ton of opportunities to do that. I’ve had 40 Division I kids over the last eight years, so I’ve dealt with a lot of college coaches, but I’ve just never chased it. This was just a perfect fit.”

Fulford graduated from Marshall in 1997 and spent three seasons as an assistant at NAIA powerhouse Mountain State University.

After several years in the private sector as a pharmaceutical sales representative, Fulford returned to Mountain State Academy, a high school affiliated with the university, as the boys basketball coach during 2006-09.

Fulford, a native of Mullens, W. Va., went 81-14 in his three seasons at Mountain State Academy before founding Huntington Prep, which is affiliated with St. Joseph Central Catholic High School in Huntington, W. Va.

“I couldn’t be more excited to welcome Rob to the Mizzou family,” Anderson said in a release. “Rob is obviously an outstanding coach and he won at an incredible level at Huntington Prep. He is well-respected by his peers and will be a great asset to our program.”

Anderson went on to laud Fulford’s ability to build relationships with players.

“He gets the most out of his players because of those strong relationships, and that’s exactly what we were looking for as we went about completing our staff,” Anderson said.

During his five seasons at Huntington Prep, Fulford coached some of the nation’s top high school talent, including Wiggins and Minnesota Timberwolves center Gorgui Dieng.

Fulford’s current Huntington Prep team includes two of the nation’s top-ranked small forwards for the class of 2015, Thomas Bryant and Montaque Gill-Caesar.

To reach Tod Palmer, call 816-234-4389 or send email to tpalmer@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter at @todpalmer.

KChiefs1 06-27-2014 08:19 PM

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Missouri-h...guard-29366420

Quote:

Coach Rob Fulford left Huntington (W.V.) Prep for an assistant job at Missouri, and there is a possibility Montaque Gill-Caesar might be leaving for Missouri as well.

There has been rampant speculation that Gill-Caesar would reclassify up to 2014 and play for Michigan State. But with Fulford heading to Missouri, speculation now is that he will become a Tiger. On Monday Gill-Caesar will officially visit Missouri 247Sports confirmed with a source.

Gill-Caesar is ranked No. 41 by 247Sports and No. 35 in the 247Sports Composite.

Missouri has a slight edge over MSU in the Crystal Ball.
http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions

Pitt Gorilla 06-27-2014 08:25 PM

That would be pretty awesome.

KChiefs1 06-27-2014 08:28 PM

One more on Fulford:

Quote:

www.sbnation.com

Missouri hires Andrew Wiggins' high school coach to overhaul recruiting strategy

By James Pennington

Kim Anderson hired a risky third assistant in Rob Fulford. He could pay big dividends for the Tigers.

Frank Haith's three-year tenure as the Missouri Tigers' coach came and went, and his brazen strategy of relying heavily on Division I transfers resulted in zero NCAA Tournament wins and a preemptive decision to leave for Tulsa before his athletics director could make the move for him. Haith didn't find success in building a program on transfers -- certainly not in the way Fred Hoiberg and Iowa State did -- and, though indirectly, it forced his hand to leave for a lesser program.

New Missouri coach Kim Anderson seems to already be more committed to traditional high school recruiting than Haith ever was, which Anderson proved Monday when he announced Rob Fulford would join his staff as an assistant coach. Fulford was the coach at Huntington Prep, an upstart prep school founded in 2009 that Fulford had coached since then. Huntington Prep had its first first-round draft pick when Gorgui Dieng went to the Minnesota Timberwolves, and Andrew Wiggins will become the second on Thursday.

In three signing classes, Haith brought in seven Division I transfers (two of which sat out last year and will debut for Missouri under Anderson), two junior college transfers and eight high school players. Two of those high schoolers transferred away after one season. Last season freshman power forward Johnathan Williams and sophomore Ryan Rosburg were the first high school recruits under Haith to play more than 37 percent of the team's available minutes. It's not that Haith fixed cracks in the foundation with transfers; the foundation was built with them. Whether Haith did not have the connections and wherewithal to pull in top high school recruits or simply chose to build his program differently is irrelevant. It didn't work.

Fulford's hire is a step in, if nothing else, a different direction. Fulford's credentials as a coach aside -- he's lost 17 games as a prep school head coach in the past five years -- the hire is primarily about making inroads in recruiting and giving Missouri a recognizable, reputable face on the AAU circuit. Top 2016 recruit Thon Maker was expected to make an unofficial visit to Missouri on Tuesday, according to Rustin Dodd of The Kansas City Star.

Tuesday was Fulford's second official day on the job, and his presence in the high school and AAU circuit over the past several years means the top high school recruit in two years' time walked into the basketball offices in Columbia and saw one more welcoming face.

Hiring Fulford would also seem to put the Tigers in play for any number of prospects from Huntington Prep, including two players in 247Sports.com's top 32 for the Class of 2015: No. 13 Thomas Bryant and No. 32 Montaque Gill-Caesar.

It isn't necessarily a safe hire for Anderson, who could have justified hiring a longtime Division I assistant since he and one of his assistants are both making the transition from Division II Central Missouri.

Fulford's only experience as a college assistant coach was at Mountain State University, an NAIA school, from 1997 to 2000. But safety in decisions isn't a guarantee, either. Haith relied on experience over talent, or perhaps the forecast of talent, in his three years in Missouri. That experiment failed, and Anderson is already differentiating himself from his predecessor to ensure he's not similarly felled.

CoMoChief 06-27-2014 08:48 PM

It's about time MU got serious w/ recruiting.

-King- 06-27-2014 09:53 PM

Not too shabby at all so far.

salame 06-29-2014 01:55 AM

get real dudes

KChiefs1 06-29-2014 04:28 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...cle635530.html

Quote:

Two months into it, Kim Anderson still marvels at this: He’s the head coach of the University of Missouri’s men’s basketball team.

This was the one thing he forever had wanted. It also was the one thing he had reconciled, or at least compartmentalized, that he’d never have.

The sudden realization of a lifelong dream that you’d actually surrendered would be profound in anyone’s life. It’s certainly so with Anderson, who turned 59 a few weeks after getting the job.

“‘Life-long,’” he said, considering the literalness of the term in this case and smiling as he sat in Mizzou Arena.

With that has come a whirlwind tour of the state, from Cape Girardeau to Mendon, from St. Louis to Kansas City and too many outposts to count in-between … and so many that Anderson believes he may have shaken hands with all but a handful of people in Missouri.

All of which is a terrific springboard for Anderson, who got a standing ovation from the crowd of about 150 at the Tiger Club at the Westport Flea Market last week.

But Anderson knows all of this is attached to the fleeting grace period of a honeymoon in his first season after whisking Division II Central Missouri to the national title.

Two months into it, Kim Anderson still marvels at this: He’s the head coach of the University of Missouri’s men’s basketball team.

This was the one thing he forever had wanted. It also was the one thing he had reconciled, or at least compartmentalized, that he’d never have.

The sudden realization of a lifelong dream that you’d actually surrendered would be profound in anyone’s life. It’s certainly so with Anderson, who turned 59 a few weeks after getting the job.

“‘Life-long,’” he said, considering the literalness of the term in this case and smiling as he sat in Mizzou Arena.

With that has come a whirlwind tour of the state, from Cape Girardeau to Mendon, from St. Louis to Kansas City and too many outposts to count in-between … and so many that Anderson believes he may have shaken hands with all but a handful of people in Missouri.

All of which is a terrific springboard for Anderson, who got a standing ovation from the crowd of about 150 at the Tiger Club at the Westport Flea Market last week.

But Anderson knows all of this is attached to the fleeting grace period of a honeymoon in his first season after whisking Division II Central Missouri to the national title.

Somewhere down the road looms an expiration date.

“It’s a special feeling,” he said, “but I think it’s probably about time I get over the special feelings and get to work.”

In fact, Anderson scarcely has stopped working as he takes on what athletic director Mike Alden suggested was a “CEO” role at his alma mater, where the son of Sedalia starred on the court and later was an assistant coach.

He’s cobbled together his staff, re-engaged relationships around the state, recruited new players, re-recruited current players and re-wooed the signees of Frank Haith.

Yet nothing this summer has been more important than Anderson connecting with, and starting to put an imprint on, his players.

It’s a young, impressionable group teeming with newcomers and featuring only one player (junior Ryan Rosburg) who’s been at Mizzou more than a year.

That’s how he really starts building from the “ground up,” as Anderson put it, intending no slight to predecessor Frank Haith, who was 76-28 at MU but left a program in the flux of constant roster turnover.

So Anderson understands that in some ways it’s an entirely new world for players, including a number who hadn’t signed up to play for him.

“I walk in here … and they don’t know me, and I don’t know them,” he said.

To start to alleviate that, Anderson meets with the team for breakfast every morning at 8 — which means 7:45, Rosburg said, noting Anderson’s emphasis on “Tiger time” being 15 minutes early.

And then there’s the real torture.

“I don’t get to use my cell phone, and they don’t get to use their cell phone,” he said. “They don’t get to wear hats, I don’t get to wear a hat. Not that I wear a hat a lot.

“So for the 15-30 minutes, they’ve got to talk to each other, or they’ve got to talk to me.”

Then for two hours a week over the last few weeks, they have to listen to Anderson and his staff on the court.

A hint on what they’re hearing: Anderson estimates they’ve worked on offense for something like “two minutes.” Said Rosburg, “We have yet to learn, like, any offensive plays.”

That’s because the most fundamental message is that this all must and will start with an attitude and an atmosphere predicated on defense.

That’s what Anderson was getting at when he hollered at them recently to be more “mean and aggressive,” and tells them they’ll never hear a cross word from him if they mess up going hard, and exhorted them through yet … another … defensive drill.

“You can do it!” he yelled. “Nobody ever made you do it. I’m going to make you do it.”

To wit, Rosburg told of a 4-on-4 drill in which the ball is left in the lane and one team is supposed to do all it can to get to the ball; the other is supposed to do all it can to deny them the ball.

“They’re basically football drills,” Rosburg said. “There’s a lot of pushing and shoving and diving all over the place. It’s just that mentality of going as hard as you can at all times.”

This isn’t to say his notions are any better or worse than what Haith set out to do, Anderson stressed repeatedly (he said he’d be glad to have Haith’s record after three years).

But the emphasis is entirely different as he seeks to put together a program, not just a team.

Just as it took Anderson a long time to get here, he’s building for the long haul and is steeped in this notion: It’s about setting a tone of intensity that says, “This is who we are and how we play and what we stand for.”

That’s a quality that was entwined with Missouri basketball under Anderson’s mentor, Norm Stewart, but a quality that anyone who watched MU the last few seasons might say has been missing.

In fact, Anderson flinched during the first day of the defensive-oriented drills and thought, “Oh, my goodness.”

“Then, by the third day, they were 100 times better,” he said. “So they’re learners. They’re trying, and that’s all I can ask them to do …

“The technique’s still a long way from being there, but the effort is better, and that’s the first key thing.”

Especially if the honeymoon phase is going to transition into a flourishing long-term relationship everyone hopes it will be.

“There’s going to be some rough moments” with such a young team, Anderson said. “But our stamp on this is to come out and play with an intensity level and aggressiveness and play hard. And if we do that, I think the fans will like that. I think they’ll appreciate that.”

Enough so, he hopes, that a year from now he’ll still be getting standing ovations as he makes the rounds.

And not because of sentimentality but because something has started to take in a job he considers nothing less than a sacred trust.

To reach Vahe Gregorian, call (816) 234-4868 or send email to vgregorian@kcstar.com. Follow him on Twitter at @vgregorian.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...#storylink=cpy

TribalElder 08-02-2014 10:52 AM

Missouri’s men’s basketball team filled its final remaining scholarship Saturday, announcing that Montaque Gill-Caesar had signed a financial aid agreement.

Gill-Caesar — a 6-foot-6 small forward from Ontario, Canada, who played for Tigers assistant Rob Fulford at Huntington Prep in West Virginia the last two years — had planned to enter college in 2015.

Instead, Gill-Caesar, who often goes by the nickname “Teki,” reclassified and will be eligible immediately at Missouri. He graduated from high school last spring.

“I’m so excited to be joining the University of Missouri family and cannot wait to get on campus and get to work,” Gill-Caesar said in a release from MU Athletics. “Everything about my visit to Mizzou (in late June) was perfect, but I wanted to be thorough make the decision that was best for me and my family.

“I already had great relationships with coach Rob (Fulford) and (Tigers associate head) coach (Tim) Fuller, but having a chance to meet coach Anderson and get to know him on a personal level just put everything over the top. I want to thank my family and everyone at Huntington Prep for their support and I’m ready to be a Missouri Tiger.”

Gill-Caesar, a four-star recruit, had been ranked No. 31 overall in the class of 2015 by Rivals. He also had offers from Michigan State, Wichita State and Memphis among others.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...#storylink=cpy

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 11:02 AM

Awesome. Anderson is getting it done in recruiting. Now we need to see it on the floor.

Sure-Oz 08-02-2014 11:25 AM

Anderson def doing stuff right...

Captain Obvious 08-02-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 10721874)
get real dudes

I hope we get to revisit this post over and over again in the future.

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 12:28 PM

I wonder if MU Fan still hates the hire.

Pepe Silvia 08-02-2014 12:40 PM

Lets hope he doesn't get in trouble so he ends up eligible to play for KU the following year.

mnchiefsguy 08-02-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10790138)
I assume MU Fan still hates the hire.

I hated the hire at the time....but it is what it is. I hope the hire is successful. Recruiting is off to a good start...I think many Mizzou fans do still hate the hire, but are accepting reality. For me, I would rather say at a later date I was wrong about the hire being bad, because that means the team will have had some success.

CoMoChief 08-02-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

It was still a stupid hire.

Bowser 08-02-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

I thought it was a lazy hire. They went with a safe choice, but he seems to be clicking right along so far.

Ask this question again next February.

Sully 08-02-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10790172)
I thought it was a lazy hire. They went with a safe choice, but he seems to be clicking right along so far.

Ask this question again next February.

I don't think it was lazy, as much as it was just a last resort hire. They didn't want to spend any real money and have Pinkel come looking for a raise, so they kicked the tires on some names, and then fell back to the sure thing.

KChiefs1 08-02-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10790022)
Missouri’s men’s basketball team filled its final remaining scholarship Saturday, announcing that Montaque Gill-Caesar had signed a financial aid agreement.

Gill-Caesar — a 6-foot-6 small forward from Ontario, Canada, who played for Tigers assistant Rob Fulford at Huntington Prep in West Virginia the last two years — had planned to enter college in 2015.

Instead, Gill-Caesar, who often goes by the nickname “Teki,” reclassified and will be eligible immediately at Missouri. He graduated from high school last spring.

“I’m so excited to be joining the University of Missouri family and cannot wait to get on campus and get to work,” Gill-Caesar said in a release from MU Athletics. “Everything about my visit to Mizzou (in late June) was perfect, but I wanted to be thorough make the decision that was best for me and my family.

“I already had great relationships with coach Rob (Fulford) and (Tigers associate head) coach (Tim) Fuller, but having a chance to meet coach Anderson and get to know him on a personal level just put everything over the top. I want to thank my family and everyone at Huntington Prep for their support and I’m ready to be a Missouri Tiger.”

Gill-Caesar, a four-star recruit, had been ranked No. 31 overall in the class of 2015 by Rivals. He also had offers from Michigan State, Wichita State and Memphis among others.

PowerMizzou.com

Quote:

Heading in to the start of the 2014 fall semester, the Mizzou basketball program had one available scholarship left for the 2014 class. There was some talk that maybe the Tigers would have to hold on to the scholarship for the class of 2015, which features in-state stars Jimmy Whitt and Juwan Morgan, since the school year is so close.

Instead, Kim Anderson and his staff landed Huntington Prep (W.V.) small forward Montaque Gill-Caesar. A top-50 player in the country, Gill-Caesar has signed a financial aid agreement with the Tigers after reclassifying from the class of 2015.

"Teki is an outstanding addition to our family and fills a position of need for us on the wing," Head Coach Kim Anderson said in a Mizzou release. "Teki has all the tools to be a big time talent over the course of his college career and fits extremely well with the young perimeter players we have in the program because they are so versatile. He can shoot the ball on the perimeter, he can attack the rim off the bounce, he can use his size and leaping ability to rebound over bigger players and he has great presence on the defensive end of the floor. He will have an opportunity to come in an contribute right away and gives us another important influx of talent as he joins Keith (Shamburger) in arriving next month."

A big part of the appeal of Mizzou for Gill-Caesar was the opportunity to continue playing basketball for new Tiger assistant Rob Fulford, who coached him at Huntington Prep last season.

"Having the opportunity to continue coaching Teki is tremendous, not just for me, but my entire family, because we developed such a strong relationship during our two seasons together at Huntington Prep," Fulford said. "Teki is certainly a talent, but he really is a better person. Our fans will see that once they get to know him. He is such a genuine young man and has an engaging personality. He fits the type of student-athlete Coach Anderson will recruit to Mizzou."

"I'm so excited to be joining the University of Missouri family and cannot wait to get on campus and get to work," Gill-Caesar said. "Everything about my visit to Mizzou was perfect, but I wanted to be thorough make the decision that was best for me and my family. I already had great relationships with Coach Rob (Fulford) and Coach Fuller, but having a chance to meet Coach Anderson and get to know him on a personal level just put everything over the top. I want to thank my family and everyone at Huntington Prep for their support and I'm ready to be a Missouri Tiger."

Gill-Caeser averaged 16 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season for the Irish. According to Rivals National Basketball Recruiting Analyst, Eric Bossi, Gill-Caeser will add rebounding and toughness to the Mizzou roster.

"I've seen some Earnest Ross comparisons and I think those are pretty good," said Bossi. "He is a small forward who is strong and tough. He will board and he will play defense."

"Mizzou fans will like Teki," he concluded.

PowerMizzou will continue to have more on this developing story.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 08-02-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10790022)

Soft

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10790158)
It was still a stupid hire.

Why? Despite what you read on message boards, most Mizzou fans love the hire. The players love the hire. HS coaches love the hire. The guy has been an outstanding coach. It wasn't a big name and I personally worried about recruiting, but he seems to have taken care of that concern.

I'm not sure there was a better choice.

CoMoChief 08-02-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10790469)
Why? Despite what you read on message boards, most Mizzou fans love the hire. The players love the hire. HS coaches love the hire. The guy has been an outstanding coach. It wasn't a big name and I personally worried about recruiting, but he seems to have taken care of that concern.

I'm not sure there was a better choice.

Gregg Marshall would have been the better hire. It would have been a slam dunk hire. Mizzou went the cheap route. And that's fine. I get some people love the hire because he's a MU guy that's always bled black and gold and truly cares about the program, but Gregg Marshall would have been the better hire. He's the better coach, it's that simple.

Hell, Ben Howland would have been a better hire. Now there's the argument that what might be the best hire may not be the "best" hire for Mizzou, and it goes back to the fact that Kim Anderson bleeds black and gold. This is his dream job. He won't go anywhere else. I doubt if Duke called him up saying the Coach K vacancy is all yours, I doubt that his stubborn loyalty to the Univ would allow him to leave for another job, that and he's almost 60yrs old I think.

And had Howland or Marshall been hired and had they ended up being successful at MU within the next handful of years, they'd leave for a UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, once one of those coaches retires. MU is a pit stop job for these bigger name, better resume guys, but it isn't considered a pit stop job to Kim Anderson, so it was the "safe" hire, but I dont think it was the best in terms of what the end results will be. Just more mediocre basketball, just like Norm Stewart. Well they could be better than just mediocre, but they're not going to compete with Kentucky or Florida for that conference.

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10790587)
Gregg Marshall would have been the better hire. It would have been a slam dunk hire. Mizzou went the cheap route. And that's fine. I get some people love the hire because he's a MU guy that's always bled black and gold and truly cares about the program, but Gregg Marshall would have been the better hire. He's the better coach, it's that simple.

Hell, Ben Howland would have been a better hire. Now there's the argument that what might be the best hire may not be the "best" hire for Mizzou, and it goes back to the fact that Kim Anderson bleeds black and gold. This is his dream job. He won't go anywhere else. I doubt if Duke called him up saying the Coach K vacancy is all yours, I doubt that his stubborn loyalty to the Univ would allow him to leave for another job, that and he's almost 60yrs old I think.

And had Howland or Marshall been hired and had they ended up being successful at MU within the next handful of years, they'd leave for a UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, once one of those coaches retires. MU is a pit stop job for these bigger name, better resume guys, but it isn't considered a pit stop job to Kim Anderson, so it was the "safe" hire, but I dont think it was the best in terms of what the end results will be. Just more mediocre basketball, just like Norm Stewart. Well they could be better than just mediocre, but they're not going to compete with Kentucky or Florida for that conference.

Honest question: How do you know that Marshall is the better coach? You could absolutely be right, but I'm not sure I understand your current certainty.

Pepe Silvia 08-02-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

I'll reserve judgement until I see it on the court but based on his interviews he seems like a much more likeable guy than Norm. I hope he doesn't make me eat my words when I say this but he appears to not be a stubborn as Stewart was. Norm would run good solid players off, Kim A is pulling them in.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-02-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

You're way off the mark here.

First of all, Marshall would never take a job like Missouri's; it's not the step up in profile that his accomplishments deserve. You can't criticize them for not getting a coach they could never have.

Secondly, no one was more critical of the Anderson hire than I was. The recruiting at the ass end of the Norm years was terrible, and he was the lead guy. For whatever reason, he has completely inverted that in a few months. Holding on to Gant was big and getting Namon Wright to stay on after he was released is a pretty damned amazing feat. Combine that with getting someone from Huntington Prep as a bag man, strengthening ties with Jimmy Whitt, getting Caesar, and I'm blown the **** away by his recruiting thus far.

In effect, he's proven to be a better recruiter than Frank Haith, someone who was known only as a recruiter. If he's half the X's and O's guy he seems to be, he's going to be in the top third of coaches in the league pretty easily.

In parlance, this is the equivalent of a ** player who ends up playing at a **** level.

CoMoChief 08-02-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10790622)
Honest question: How do you know that Marshall is the better coach? You could absolutely be right, but I'm not sure I understand your current certainty.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...your guess is as good as mine.

But ask anyone in the NCAA-D1 outside of Mizzou if they would've hired Kim Anderson over Gregg Marshall.

Anyways....the ONLY thing I'm hoping for is that some how, some way he can convince Bill Self to re-new the MU/KU border rivalry. He's played in the rivalry and he's coached in it. It's good for the game, for both schools and the KC community.

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10790662)
Guess we'll just have to wait and see...your guess is as good as mine.

But ask anyone in the NCAA-D1 outside of Mizzou if they would've hired Kim Anderson over Gregg Marshall.

Anyways....the ONLY thing I'm hoping for is that some how, some way he can convince Bill Self to re-new the MU/KU border rivalry. He's played in the rivalry and he's coached in it. It's good for the game, for both schools and the KC community.

Disagree; when they're done with their woman-scorned party, it can be considered. I don't miss the beaks at all.

stonedstooge 08-02-2014 05:19 PM

WE HATED HIM BEFORE WE LIKED HIM. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

KcMizzou 08-02-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10790696)
WE HATED HIM BEFORE WE LIKED HIM. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

To be honest, we liked Haith for a minute too.

CoMoChief 08-02-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10790693)
Disagree; when they're done with their woman-scorned party, it can be considered. I don't miss the beaks at all.

No one likes to be on the losing end of an ass-kicking.

Pitt Gorilla 08-02-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10790720)
No one likes to be on the losing end of an ass-kicking.

kanas is still upset over a February basketball game?!? Good Lord. (I assume you aren't talking about the fact that Missouri won the big 12 tournament, as ku didn't make it to the final to play Mizzou.)

Pepe Silvia 08-02-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10790693)

This. It's a terrible rivalry that shouldn't be continued. Mizzou would kick their ass in football and KU would kick theirs in basketball. It would be completely one sided in both sports, time to move on.

TribalElder 08-08-2014 10:33 PM

The Missouri men’s basketball team announced Friday that Torren Jones has been dismissed for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Jones’ dismissal was announced in a release from the MU athletic department.

“We have high standards at the University of Missouri and after consulting with (athletic director) Mike Alden, I have made the decision to dismiss Torren Jones from our program,” first-year coach Kim Anderson said. “I am disappointed in Torren’s actions and want to be very clear about the culture of accountability we are building within our program. It’s a privilege to wear the University of Missouri uniform and we will represent our University and our state with great integrity.”

Jones, a 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward from Chandler, Ariz., appeared in 30 games as a freshman last season and averaged 2.1 points and 2.3 rebounds, including a team-best 11.4 rebounds per 40 minutes.

All the sudden this season Mizzou has standards for athletes LMAO

Wonder what he did :shrug:

Captain Obvious 08-19-2014 04:11 PM

Jimmy Whitt to Arkansas.

Pepe Silvia 08-19-2014 04:47 PM

Hope he sucks balls, enjoy your 40 minutes of hell jimmy.

ChiefsCountry 08-19-2014 04:50 PM

And Mizzou still can't recruit in state.

Pepe Silvia 08-19-2014 04:55 PM

Mike A has been bitch slapping us in recruiting since he left. They said several columbia kids keep going to arkansas? Sup with that BS?

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-19-2014 05:00 PM

Mike Anderson has now recruited more 4* players from Missouri while coaching Arkansas than when he coached at Missouri.

Because Mizzou.

TribalElder 08-19-2014 05:10 PM

I doubt the kid wanted to stay home in Columbia and go to school. People usually go off to college :shrug:

Pepe Silvia 08-19-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10832924)
I doubt the kid wanted to stay home in Columbia and go to school. People usually go off to college :shrug:

If it were Kentucky or Duke I wouldn't give a shit, I'm sick of losing good football and hoops players to the ****ing Hogs. :#

Pepe Silvia 08-19-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10832907)
Mike Anderson has now recruited more 4* players from Missouri while coaching Arkansas than when he coached at Missouri.

Because Mizzou.

****ing sad.

Pitt Gorilla 08-21-2014 08:05 PM

From Brian Austin at PowerMizzou: 2015 Blue Springs (Mo.) South power forward Kevin Puryear announced on twitter that he has committed to Mizzou. He is the first commitment of the 2015 class.