ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

CaliforniaChief 03-13-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10487029)
Yes, what's lost a little bit in the excitement about the development of Ventura, Manaea, Zimmer and Almonte is that the hitting prospects are not nearly as exciting.

I love RA Mondesi, but he's more of a contributing offensive player than a lineup-carrier. .280/15/30 SB from a SS is a tanatalizing line and within his reach, but that's more of a good No. 2 hitter or lower-order hitter than a middle of the lineup star.

Dozier is a nice prospect at 3B but is probably more of a nice contributor than huge impact guy, too (Kyle Seager is a good comparison/target, I think).

Bonifacio is Billy Butler lite, but able to play RF.

Beyond those three, you're having to hope a lot. If Starling can figure out the hit tool enough to be a .260 major league player, he's a useful offensive player. Especially if he continues to post an OBP 75-90 points higher than his average (That upside would make him basically Nick Swisher if Swisher was a Gold Glove-level CF).

Elier Hernandez and Alexis Rivera and Cheslor Cuthbert are all younger, high-priced LA signings, but none has EXPLODED onto the scene yet. Also hear good things about Samir Duenez. But like I said, there's a lot of hope involved with those guys.

All the more reason to push for Hosmer/Moustakas extensions, IMO.

WhawhaWhat 03-13-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10487057)

That they will politely decline.

CaliforniaChief 03-13-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10487072)

Probably. But you push and maybe overspend to lock them down.

And then there's this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ned Yost, amateur dermatologist: &quot;You don&#39;t suntan much.&quot;</p>&mdash; Andy McCullough (@McCulloughStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/McCulloughStar/statuses/444145519439278081">March 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-13-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10487072)

If I'm moose, i'm jumping all over it... Hoz, not so much.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10487057)

Much harder to get big-bonus first-round picks to sign a long-term extension that buys out a few FA years than it is to get someone like Perez or Escobar to do it (signed for less than $50k each).

You almost have to do it at a point when it either carries some risk for the team (paying for performance at a level they haven't consistently shown or have only shown in one season, like with Gordon).

Moustakas might be a guy you could get it done with, if you went to him NOW and offered an extension that paid him, say, $8 million a season over the next 6. That does carry a lot of risk, though.

Hosmer? We all need to come to grips with the idea that they will be watching Hosmer walk and gleaning whatever the compensation for him is in 2018.

Tytanium 03-13-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 10485165)
Andy McCullough is rapidly growing on me. I loved Dutton on Twitter. He was like the crabby grandfather that was really funny. McCullough is a great follow on Twitter and seems to have a really odd, yet funny relationship with Ned Yost.

Best wishes to Dutton, but McCullough is hilarious on twitter. Used #barves last night to announce Santana's signing, which is the best thing to come out of deadspin/twitter in the last year.

mr. tegu 03-13-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10487169)
Hosmer? We all need to come to grips with the idea that they will be watching Hosmer walk and gleaning whatever the compensation for him is in 2018.

Even if we make the playoffs 3 of the next 4 seasons with a World Series victory? I realize that is asking a lot but I am just speaking hypothetically.

duncan_idaho 03-13-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10487275)
Even if we make the playoffs 3 of the next 4 seasons with a World Series victory? I realize that is asking a lot but I am just speaking hypothetically.

Unless the ownership group is prepared to pay him $15-25 million a year and hand out its first $100 million contract, it's highly unlikely.

alnorth 03-13-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10487275)

I don't see how wild success would have anything to do with Hosmer testing free agency under Boras.

mr. tegu 03-13-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10487369)
I don't see how wild success would have anything to do with Hosmer testing free agency under Boras.

I meant as far as resigning him. I have to assume success equals money.

alnorth 03-13-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10487380)
I meant as far as resigning him. I have to assume success equals money.

Only against the wishes of his agent.

Barring some big injury risk or failure risk (Moose), Boras does not believe in extensions before free agency, period. He's fine with re-signing with a team, but only after he can clearly see that the team is the highest bidder or at least close to the highest bidder.

C3HIEF3S 03-13-2014 01:59 PM

For you guys with MLB.tv, Royals play the Indians at 305 and Cleveland's station is broadcasting the game.

Ceej 03-13-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 10487993)
For you guys with MLB.tv, Royals play the Indians at 305 and Cleveland's station is broadcasting the game.

I have Reds @ Dodgers. :(

Lex Luthor 03-13-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 10475491)
there's no excuse to let one of our (and i'm using the term loosely) assets go to a division rival. none. even if his season is ready for an implosion. no excuse.

That's a statement based purely on emotion that also happens to be completely untrue. It turns out that Santana didn't go to a division rival, but I'd say the Royals handled the situation properly. Santana and his agents are the ones who asked for the hundred million dollar contract. Should the Royals have just anted up, paid the hundred million, and guaranteed that they won't enough money to pay the players who don't suck every other year?

alnorth 03-13-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar 19m

A fine member of the Royals crack public-relations team has reminded me that the pick play was at first base, not third. Still, so it goes.

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar 17m

Which one is on the right? RT @thejessz: oh great the royals' new beat reporter doesn't even know which base is first and which is third!
ROFL