ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

Huffmeister 03-19-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8472880)
Well, your plan failed because you still seem to be kind of a douche.

Kind of? You give him way too much credit.

Ceej 03-19-2012 02:40 PM

New Avengers movie out this summer guys.

Don't be douchebags and read the comics first!

....or else.

the Talking Can 03-19-2012 02:40 PM

I bet he uses that as a description on OkCupid

"I'm not the kind of douchebag that watches tv shows based on comics without first purchasing and reading said comics before then watching said tv show.

Plus I like to be plugged by chicks."

blaise 03-19-2012 02:40 PM

tmw4h5 = Comic Book Guy

Gonzo 03-19-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw4h5 (Post 8472886)
Who spends money on comic books? It's 2012, son. Torrent that shit.

Derp herp...
I listened to that band before they made it big! Derp!

Prepare thyself for mod abuse.

tmw4h5 03-19-2012 02:48 PM

Oh God, I've got the trolls against me. I should quickly make fun of Cassel and Pioli to get them on my side.

The Walking Dead is the first comic I have read (and I glanced at best) since I was 8 and I read X-Men.
When I watched the show, I wanted to get an idea of what the hell this whole thing was about. If you find the show interesting, what's wrong with checking out the comic books?
I think that Kirkman has done a fantastic job with keeping the two separate and entertaining in their own way. Neither one is identical to the other, yet they're both captivating.

I am one of those people who wants to understand what the hell I'm watching. When True Grit came out, I wanted to see the original. The same goes for Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

When it comes to movies based on comic book characters (hence, Spiderman or Batman, X-Men, etc, etc) -- I think it makes sense to have some knowledge of the character before watching the movie. Otherwise, you're just uninformed.

At what point did it become lame to have knowledge about things that you find interesting?

tmw4h5 03-19-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8472907)
Derp herp...
I listened to that band before they made it big! Derp!

Prepare thyself for mod abuse.

No, not at all.
Just like most all of you, I saw what appeared to be an awesome show about zombies.
I checked it out, and guess what? It was pretty awesome.

After a few episodes I got curious and wanted to know more of the backstory.

Google, Wikipedia, and I found out what I needed to know.

When Michonne appeared last night, I did some more research on her.

Gonzo 03-19-2012 02:51 PM

Why would someone be lame if they didn't read the comic book? You said yourself that the story lines are immensely different.

I myself did familiarize myself with the comics via the web. I did not read them, just read the crib sheets.

Aries Walker 03-19-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw4h5 (Post 8472925)
No, not at all.
Just like most all of you, I saw what appeared to be an awesome show about zombies.

None of this makes a difference. The point is, it's not your decision whether other people want to watch the show by itself, or read the comics with it. Not everyone does things the same way you do, and to give away major plot points before other people have seen them, and then get all indignant when you're called out by almost everyone here, is a major dick move and will end up without you having any friends.

So whether you think you're right or not, try not to do that again.

blaise 03-19-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw4h5 (Post 8472921)
Oh God, I've got the trolls against me. I should quickly make fun of Cassel and Pioli to get them on my side.

The Walking Dead is the first comic I have read (and I glanced at best) since I was 8 and I read X-Men.
When I watched the show, I wanted to get an idea of what the hell this whole thing was about. If you find the show interesting, what's wrong with checking out the comic books?
I think that Kirkman has done a fantastic job with keeping the two separate and entertaining in their own way. Neither one is identical to the other, yet they're both captivating.

I am one of those people who wants to understand what the hell I'm watching. When True Grit came out, I wanted to see the original. The same goes for Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

When it comes to movies based on comic book characters (hence, Spiderman or Batman, X-Men, etc, etc) -- I think it makes sense to have some knowledge of the character before watching the movie. Otherwise, you're just uninformed.

At what point did it become lame to have knowledge about things that you find interesting?

Well you were the one that started with the , "herp derp" bullshit as if there's something wrong with not reading a freaking comic book.
I hate to break it to you, but failing to read a comic book that spawned a television show doesn't really indicate a lack of intellectualism. I doubt the nation's great thinkers are saying, "Hm, in order to understand the Walking Dead let me get some back story here. I'll put down Voltaire for a bit."
So, congrats on getting all the background. That's great if that's what you want to do, but it's hardly, "herp derp" type stuff to not read a comic.

the Talking Can 03-19-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw4h5 (Post 8472925)
No, not at all.

what does any of that have to do with you being a dick and trying to spoil it for the rest of us?

you're really going to the wall on 'all cool guys check out the comics of shows based on comics'?

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-19-2012 02:58 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UagXXDLTNbo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UagXXDLTNbo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

tmw4h5 03-19-2012 03:00 PM

Perhaps I should have chosen my words a bit better.
To me, I think that if you enjoy the show as much as it seems some people do here, it would make sense to check out the backstory for the show. For me to say it was lame, that probably was a bad choice.

As far as having internet friends, that's not necessarily my biggest concern.
I may have been out of line in giving away a couple of plot points, but I made an assumption, which in retrospect was a poor assumption, that most people had knowledge of what to anticipate in season 3.

I still think, based on the fact that it's a network television show, a lot of what happens in the comic will have to be re-worked and re-written for the show.

I do apologize for giving away plot points from the comic book series though.

tmw4h5 03-19-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8472944)
what does any of that have to do with you being a dick and trying to spoil it for the rest of us?

you're really going to the wall on 'all cool guys check out the comics of shows based on comics'?

It wasn't my intent to spoil it at all - I assumed that most everybody had a vague idea of who the new characters were as new cast members have already been announced and previous cast members have been announced as reprisal roles.

blaise 03-19-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmw4h5 (Post 8472963)
Perhaps I should have chosen my words a bit better.
To me, I think that if you enjoy the show as much as it seems some people do here, it would make sense to check out the backstory for the show. For me to say it was lame, that probably was a bad choice.

As far as having internet friends, that's not necessarily my biggest concern.
I may have been out of line in giving away a couple of plot points, but I made an assumption, which in retrospect was a poor assumption, that most people had knowledge of what to anticipate in season 3.

I still think, based on the fact that it's a network television show, a lot of what happens in the comic will have to be re-worked and re-written for the show.

I do apologize for giving away plot points from the comic book series though.

Well that sucks. Now you seem reasonable. I was hoping you'd go full meltdown and we could have some fun around here.