ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149)

ThaVirus 05-07-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10607408)
That's what I don't get. I can understand serving healthy carbs for people who might have just done weight training, or something of the like. But pizza? Bagels with cream cheese? I just don't get why they'd even offer people stuff like that.

Who knows?

They're just a niche type gym targeting those that don't have the money to go to "real" gyms (who are likely less educated than those with the money to go to an LA or Gold's) and/or just don't care as much about being as fit as they could be.

I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of people on here, but a majority of the population just isn't that serious about fitness. Even many that go to the gym seem to go more out of necessity than anything else.

luv 05-07-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10607442)
Who knows?

They're just a niche type gym targeting those that don't have the money to go to "real" gyms (who are likely less educated than those with the money to go to an LA or Gold's) and/or just don't care as much about being as fit as they could be.

I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of people on here, but a majority of the population just isn't that serious about fitness. Even many that go to the gym seem to go more out of necessity than anything else.

Another reason to love my gym. Basic membership is $10/month. $20/month, and I could add on unlimited classes, tanning, and bringing a guest. I do pay extra for my personal trainer, but still. Of course, my gym doesn't have swimming, raquetball, sports courts, or a track. Still, I can deadlift to my heart's content. :) And hearing someone grunt in the free weight room doesn't scare me anymore. LMAO

ThaVirus 05-07-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 10607450)
And hearing someone grunt in the free weight room doesn't scare me anymore. LMAO

Aha! Gotcha here though.

Those that are new to the gym or aren't that serious about fitness can actually be a bit intimidated by those loud grunts, clanging, and banging.

It's good that you've found a relatively cheap gym though. In my area, it's either Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, YMCA, Gold's or 24 Hour Fitness. PF is $10 a month while the others are starting at $30 with ridiculous start up fees.

luv 05-07-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10607461)
Aha! Gotcha here though.

Those that are new to the gym or aren't that serious about fitness can actually be a bit intimidated by those loud grunts, clanging, and banging.

It's good that you've found a relatively cheap gym though. In my area, it's either Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, YMCA, Gold's or 24 Hour Fitness. PF is $10 a month while the others are starting at $30 with ridiculous start up fees.

I used to have to hold in a laugh when I'd hear it. Then I started working on upping my weight, even for my endurance reps. I can understand the need to. I'm pretty sure I've let out a few soft grunts while I've been on the row machine. I try my damnedest when I do that. It gets hard to maintain speed and pull strength. I feel so worn out at times that letting out a little grunt just helps.

BigCatDaddy 05-07-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10607442)
Who knows?

<b>I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of people on here, but a majority of the population just isn't that serious about fitness. Even many that go to the gym seem to go more out of necessity than anything else.</b>

Sadly, this is true. Many people are fat, lazy and don't care that they are fat and lazy. I do think there is starting to be a little bit of a trend in the US though towards coming back towards being healthy after a couple of decades of getting fat and diseased.

Omaha 05-07-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10607401)
My gym throws alcohol parties all the time, so I can't really dog on the pizza deal after tossing back a few beers at the gym post happy hour workout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10607411)
Not really. It's just a really social gym in our downtown entertainment district. Usually they do it on a Friday afternoon as sort of a happy hour. Drop by the gym and have a drink before heading on to another bar.

They also sponsor a lot of different races that end in their parking lot, so they have booze for those a lot of times.

It's a social crowd at the gym who are going to drink anyway, so they just provide drinks on occasion if folks want to sit around and shoot the shit for a bit after working out or come back and have a drink before going out for the night.

My gym sells beer & wine. It's sort of a social club as well as a gym. A lot of people show up after work (especially on Fridays), play racquetball or workout, and then have a few beers. I love it.

lewdog 05-07-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10607598)
My gym sells beer & wine. It's sort of a social club as well as a gym. A lot of people show up after work (especially on Fridays), play racquetball or workout, and then have a few beers. I love it.

I'm assuming you're normally topless for the beer part.

Omaha 05-07-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10608442)
I'm assuming you're normally topless for the beer part.

I'm topless every chance I get. I gotta show off my gains, bro!

lewdog 05-07-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10608444)
I'm topless every chance I get. I gotta show off my gains, bro!

I have a *cough* Crossfit friend who is also a really good coach. However, in all the videos and photos he posts, he's always got his shirt off. I just don't get the fascination with doing that. I don't think I would do that much even if I had a gym in my house.

luv 05-07-2014 07:35 PM

There's way too much talk about being topless, and not enough showing it!

Okay, I'll stop trying now. :D

luv 05-08-2014 01:14 PM

LEG DAY!!

Omaha 05-08-2014 01:18 PM

Leg day was Monday and I'm still freaking sore.

luv 05-08-2014 01:36 PM

Tonight's workout:

Legs:
3/12:
Barbell squats: Goal - 145 by last set.
Leg press: Goal - 250 by last set.
Dead lifts: Goal - 135 by last set.
Superset with Walking lunges: with 20 lbs kettle bells

Core:
Leg lifts: 2 sets of 20
6" lifts: 2 at 30 seconds
These 2 items are superset with 4 planks at 30 seconds

Cardio training:
Prowler (sled): 45 on each side, 12 rounds (up and back the distance of the floor twice), 45 second rests

mr. tegu 05-08-2014 01:50 PM

Planet Fitness is about $100 a year. I'm not sure you need to know anything else about it to determine that for the most part it has a different target population than Lifetime, 24 Hour, Golds, etc.

luv 05-08-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10610153)
Planet Fitness is about $100 a year. I'm not sure you need to know anything else about it to determine that for the most part it has a different target population than Lifetime, 24 Hour, Golds, etc.

People who can't spend an arm and a leg on a gym versus people who can?