ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Gordon Ramsay decides he can't help a restaurant (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272965)

Hootie 05-16-2013 12:24 PM

I wouldn't be a waiter anywhere for $14 an hour.

I always made at least, on average, $20 an hour and more when I worked in bigger cities.

Steak and Shake waitresses/waiters make more than $14 an hour.

and that's the HIGHEST they say they pay. So most likely, with all of their turnover, everyone is probably A LOT CLOSER to the $8 threshold than the $14.

fan4ever 05-16-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9685270)
I can see it both ways.

The restaurants are reaching out for help. They need the exposure, guidance and help. It's really not rocket science though when the business is empty and they cut corners with the food and staff, the profits are going to be in the tank.

What gets me is when the owners of the drowning business legitimately think the food isn't the problem. Of course it is.

If I was in that position, I would hope it was because the food sucked and I needed some help and guidance. If the food doesn't suck, and the staff is competent, there's a much bigger issue if there's no business.

If you watch the beginning of the show, the entire show, she is obviously trying to gain vindication from Ramsey, not advice, as she's sure the failing business is the result of "haters" on the blogs and such. She thought he was going to love her stuff...which made it all the funnier.

They are walking distance from my house...drove by yesterday on my way to an appointment...couldn't see if there was much activity inside, but there were a number of people gawking in through the windows.

Halfcan 05-16-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 9686964)
If you watch the beginning of the show, the entire show, she is obviously trying to gain vindication from Ramsey, not advice, as she's sure the failing business is the result of "haters" on the blogs and such. She thought he was going to love her stuff...which made it all the funnier.

They are walking distance from my house...drove by yesterday on my way to an appointment...couldn't see if there was much activity inside, but there were a number of people gawking in through the windows.

Write Ramsey Rules on a brick and throw it through their window- Thanks-lol

DJ's left nut 05-16-2013 12:53 PM

Ramsay - Judo Chef:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_XDW6xo5scU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to about the 45 second mark - Ramsay's a pretty chill cat and I get the feeling he could probably kick a lot of asses if he felt so inclined.

Namor40 05-16-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 9686964)

They are walking distance from my house..
.drove by yesterday on my way to an appointment...couldn't see if there was much activity inside, but there were a number of people gawking in through the windows.

Small world...I live just northeast of there. Hit up Butterfield's quite a bit more often than I should.

bowener 05-16-2013 01:33 PM

I didn't feel like formatting this in here, so I will just link to it. It is a "point by point" case against Samy and how they think he is laundering money through this restaurant.

Link

It is nothing official, just somebody who thinks that is what is going on.
Quote:

Sammy screamed 'Don't call the police'. This was one of the only things he really stood up to his wife on. I think Sammy is involved in serious criminal shit and he doesn't want Johnny Law to come poking around and causing any disruptions to the money losing business here.
It is a pretty quick read-through, but again, it is all speculation. Something does seem quite off about the whole place though.

kcxiv 05-16-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9686890)
I don't mind the show, but I just have a hard time believing that the food is that bad at every restaurant he goes to in the US.

I mean, the food is so bad at every single place that he spits it out, calls it "dreadful," and pretends like he's been poisoned. I've eaten at a lot of places, but I've never had a reaction that extreme to anything I've ever eaten. I just wish that "reality" shows would get a little more real and a little less scripted/set shots.

The thing is, sometimes the owners have their chef's hamstrung on cooking crap. If you looked at alot of the shows, people are cooking frozen foood, or there are owners who are chef's that have lost their passion for cooking and just dont really care. Alot of it is the owners being so ****ing hardheaded. They have such a big menu, that its not smart to keep that much food in their freezers.

He simplifies the menu with good tasting dinners. He looks to see how the staff in the kitchen works, Alot of the time people are just not coordinated or people are just assholes making others miserable in a hot ass kitchen.

Some of the food he has said hey, this is alright, this is pretty good. I know i have seen him absolutely love desserts in some of them restaurants.

Rausch 05-16-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9687070)
The thing is, sometimes the owners have their chef's hamstrung on cooking crap.

Probably about 1/2 his episodes.

Namor40 05-16-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9687070)
The thing is, sometimes the owners have their chef's hamstrung on cooking crap. If you looked at alot of the shows, people are cooking frozen foood, or there are owners who are chef's that have lost their passion for cooking and just dont really care. Alot of it is the owners being so ****ing hardheaded. They have such a big menu, that its not smart to keep that much food in their freezers.

He simplifies the menu with good tasting dinners. He looks to see how the staff in the kitchen works, Alot of the time people are just not coordinated or people are just assholes making others miserable in a hot ass kitchen.

Some of the food he has said hey, this is alright, this is pretty good. I know i have seen him absolutely love desserts in some of them restaurants.

The thing that frustrates me most is people who have NEVER worked in a restaurant who all of a sudden decide that they want to own one. If you're willing to put in the huge investment that owning a restaurant requires....it would be well worth it to at least spend a year working in a restaurant similar to the type that you want to open up, being in different positions, trying to get a broad view of what being in charge requires.

fan4ever 05-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namor40 (Post 9686995)
Small world...I live just northeast of there. Hit up Butterfield's quite a bit more often than I should.

So you know the Blue Burrito too? I saw Eric Clapton walk into that place about 7 years ago while I was eating there...I was like "WTF?" Turns out he was likely in town to see Billy Preston before he passed away. That little strip mall seems to be interesting from time to time.

fan4ever 05-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9687062)
I didn't feel like formatting this in here, so I will just link to it. It is a "point by point" case against Samy and how they think he is laundering money through this restaurant.

Link

It is nothing official, just somebody who thinks that is what is going on.

It is a pretty quick read-through, but again, it is all speculation. Something does seem quite off about the whole place though.

All that seems plausible but it's hard to imagine with that going on there he'd volunteer for "Kitchen Nightmares". Can't imagine his "bosses" would want the exposure. Doesn't seem valid.

Fire Me Boy! 05-16-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9686927)
Yeah, but it is kind of true. I've only seen the show I think three times and all three times he takes a bite and then spits it in a napkin and wipes off his tongue. It's really that bad every time? I could see him going, "This isn't very good. People won't pay for this." But to act like it's a cow turd every time just seems phony.

I don't think he spit anything out at Amy's.

kcxiv 05-16-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namor40 (Post 9687107)
The thing that frustrates me most is people who have NEVER worked in a restaurant who all of a sudden decide that they want to own one. If you're willing to put in the huge investment that owning a restaurant requires....it would be well worth it to at least spend a year working in a restaurant similar to the type that you want to open up, being in different positions, trying to get a broad view of what being in charge requires.

Well, alot of people think they can just jump into the deep end of the pool and make somethng successful. I agree its ALOT of damned work and people need to do some research. I have had a good friend try to open up a Mexican spot in Texas and it failed. It happens.

When you call in Gordon, let him do his magic and just say, YES SIR! He will help alot. Thats what i dont get, your the one that called him to help you, let him do what he does best.

LiL stumppy 05-16-2013 02:21 PM

Most peoples menues are simply to larage and complex, so they try and prep the majority of it up frontr and throw it in the freezer, which makes it un fresh. I ran a bar, and have been in thr business my whole life, it's just not that difficult. You just have to have some common sense.

jd1020 05-16-2013 02:51 PM

Just watch Gordon's reaction when Sammy and Amy call what he is doing a "show."

He's not putting on a show... he actually cares about what hes doing.