ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs So Cassel is clearly the wrong guy, but what should Pioli have done? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264907)

FloridaMan88 10-09-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997435)
There you go. The point is not to find a QB better than Cassel. The point is to find a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl. Period.

Yes that is an obvious statement.

Fat Scott had the opportunity to trade up for RGIII this past offseason and did not.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997423)
At this point I'm one of the least homerish here. Most of you Casselhats are just happy with anything better than Cassel. Out here white knighting Russell Wilson, Tannehill, Mallett, and Jake freaking Plummer. Really now. If that's our goal just shoot all of us in the head now and get this over with.

Tannehill is showing the stuff that Franchise QB's are made of, so he does not belong in this category.

It's early, but he's looking awfully good.

Brock 10-09-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997423)
At this point I'm one of the least homerish here. Most of you Casselhats are just happy with anything better than Cassel. Out here white knighting Russell Wilson, Tannehill, Mallett, and Jake freaking Plummer. Really now. If that's our goal just shoot all of us in the head now and get this over with.

What's wrong with Tannehill? The guy looks decent for a rookie who may be getting rushed into it.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8997499)
What's wrong with Tannehill? The guy looks decent for a rookie who may be getting rushed into it.

And he's improving each week.

Furthermore, the guy doesn't have jack for receivers.

Ace Gunner 10-09-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8997481)
Tannehill is showing the stuff that Franchise QB's are made of, so he does not belong in this category.

It's early, but he's looking awfully good.

????

57% comp
2TD/6INT
QBR 54

against;
Texans
raiders
Cards
Bengals
Jets

The Bad Guy 10-09-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Janus (Post 8997446)
Yes that is an obvious statement.

Fat Scott had the opportunity to trade up for RGIII this past offseason and did not.

I'm no apologist for Pioli, but this is just a wrong statement.

The Chiefs did not have the bullets to compete with a Washington or Cleveland offer.

The Bad Guy 10-09-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 8997522)
????

57% comp
2TD/6INT
QBR 54

against;
Texans
raiders
Cards
Bengals
Jets

Jets D had Revis, so it's a much different one. Texans and Cardinals D's have been playing incredible.

If you want to rip on the stats of a guy in his 5th game fine, but he's shown a lot so far. Stats aren't telling any of his story. That offensive talent is garbage sans Bush.

Brock 10-09-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 8997522)
????

57% comp
2TD/6INT
QBR 54

against;
Texans
raiders
Cards
Bengals
Jets

He has a QB rating of 70.

jd1020 10-09-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8997533)
He has a QB rating of 70.

He is talking about the new system "QBR."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Brock 10-09-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8997538)
He is talking about the new system "QBR."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Oh, okay. I haven't kept up.

Ace Gunner 10-09-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8997532)
Jets D had Revis, so it's a much different one. Texans and Cardinals D's have been playing incredible.

If you want to rip on the stats of a guy in his 5th game fine, but he's shown a lot so far. Stats aren't telling any of his story. That offensive talent is garbage sans Bush.

I don't see "awfully good" when I look at Tannehill play. Those stats don't look awfully good either. Too many hiccups to say what he is going to be.

Christian Ponder is a guy I like. He's playing some good ball in his second season.

tk13 10-09-2012 10:27 PM

Maybe that's a bit harsh. I feel like Tannehill's ceiling is Romo or Jay Cutler. Good but not THAT good. But he may very well prove me wrong. The Dolphins are such a trainwreck though.

But I'm the idiot who had concerns about RG III because he's going to run around too much and get his head bashed in. He has the potential to be a legend but he's not a linebacker like Cam Newton either. It's amazing to watch the guy run though, truly special, and he's got the arm to go with it. He just needs to stay on the field.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8997528)
I'm no apologist for Pioli, but this is just a wrong statement.

The Chiefs did not have the bullets to compete with a Washington or Cleveland offer.

Yes, they did.

They should have traded their entire 2012 draft plus a first rounder in 2013 (and whatever else) to draft RGIII.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997583)
Maybe that's a bit harsh. I feel like Tannehill's ceiling is Romo or Jay Cutler. Good but not THAT good. But he may very well prove me wrong. The Dolphins are such a trainwreck though.

If that's Tannehill's ceiling, I'd take it in a heartbeat. You can easily win a Super Bowl with either of those guys when everything else is in place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997583)
But I'm the idiot who had concerns about RG III because he's going to run around too much and get his head bashed in. He has the potential to be a legend but he's not a linebacker like Cam Newton either. It's amazing to watch the guy run though, truly special, and he's got the arm to go with it. He just needs to stay on the field.

RGIII is a smart kid. He's playing behind an awful offensive line and a team that had no cap room (Thanks, Goodell!) to improve it but he'll figure it out. He's smarter than Vick and has guys to mentor him, like Steve Young.

He'll be fine.

DaWolf 10-09-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8997435)
There you go. The point is not to find a QB better than Cassel. The point is to find a QB capable of winning a Super Bowl. Period.

This. Which is why I shake my head at anyone pissed off at us not re-signing Orton. For goodness sake the guy didn't even want to battle for a starting job, he just wanted to go to Dallas and get paid to carry a clipboard. The goal is not to replace Cassel with someone slightly less mediocre. The goal is not to get someone to lead us to the playoffs and then get bounced in round one. I mean, we were what, the second winningest team of the 90's or something like that in the regular season, and what did that get us? Jack squat.

Average or slightly above average is not acceptable. I am not sitting here waiting to replace Cassel with the next average QB who will waste four more years of my fandom.

I agree with Dane. If trading three first rounders and some other picks would net you RGIII, you go do it, because the guy has the potential to be great...