ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

Frosty 01-15-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10371792)
Yep, that's what I was referring to. It was in Unexpected Journey; I remember now.

It didn't do anything to further the plot but I'm assuming it was just a nod to the book. A little bit of fan service.

It's also what chased them into the caves, iirc, where Bilbo eventually finds the ring. Otherwise, they would have just gone through the pass and been on their way.

The Franchise 01-24-2014 04:03 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nJOSAwNzyi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 01-24-2014 04:09 PM

ROFL

Orc-freakin-believable!!

Sure-Oz 01-24-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10391638)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nJOSAwNzyi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

perfect lmao

Ragged Robin 01-24-2014 08:09 PM

The elf lady romance subplot was incredibly reeruned and over the top. When you really think about it, she was a total BITCH that put the PRINCE of Mirkwood completely at risk. She literally tricks him into helping her under the guise of "hint hint, I MIGHT share the same feelings towards you but I'm actually completely using you so that I can play googly eyes with my Dwarf boyfriend" and "the world needs our help! except when it comes down to it, you can fight off the orcs ALL ALONE while I mix some herbs when, IN FACT, one of the dwarves was already about to do it.." Completely idiotic script device that, aside from the gaping holes in logic, was too much of a distraction/deterrent from the main plot.

Setsuna 01-24-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10392047)
The elf lady romance subplot was incredibly reeruned and over the top. When you really think about it, she was a total BITCH that put the PRINCE of Mirkwood completely at risk. She literally tricks him into helping her under the guise of "hint hint, I MIGHT share the same feelings towards you but I'm actually completely using you so that I can play googly eyes with my Dwarf boyfriend" and "the world needs our help! except when it comes down to it, you can fight off the orcs ALL ALONE while I mix some herbs when, IN FACT, one of the dwarves was already about to do it.." Completely idiotic script device that, aside from the gaping holes in logic, was too much of a distraction/deterrent from the main plot.

This guy gets it. And a Prince over a chump? How droll.

hometeam 03-19-2014 09:27 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ci3vT7-vU0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I totally missed that shit.

Molitoth 04-21-2014 11:34 AM

I turned this movie off after the River-Barrel scene and do not plan on finishing it.

This is coming from a long time lover of Fantasy world stuff, and a fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Although, I'm not a fanboy of this stuff like some of you freaks. I have no read the books, but I'm sure they are a ton better.

This scene was so ****ing stupid.

The Franchise 04-21-2014 11:37 AM

So let me get this straight....you're a self-proclaimed "lover of fantasy world stuff" and have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy.....but you haven't read The Hobbit?

Opinion discarded.

Molitoth 04-21-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10575894)
So let me get this straight....you're a self-proclaimed "lover of fantasy world stuff" and have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy.....but you haven't read The Hobbit?

Opinion discarded.

Ok. I LIKE fantasy world stuff. Is that better?

I don't have time to read books. I have other hobbies and 2 small children that occupy all of my free time.

I don't care if you don't value my opinion. I still think the River-Barrel scene was pure garbage.
It reminded me of the car chase in the terrible movie "Wanted".

Did you think it was awesome to watch Legolas stand on 2 floating barrels while shooting arrows? Did you think it was awesome that one of the barrels magically just went off course and knocked through like 50 orcs? lol It was like they made this movie for 8 year olds.

DaveNull 04-21-2014 12:22 PM

The hobbit is generally understood to be targeted for a younger group.

Setsuna 04-21-2014 09:16 PM

I'm reading the Silmarillion now. So interesting!

Deberg_1990 04-21-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10575887)
I turned this movie off after the River-Barrel scene and do not plan on finishing it.

This is coming from a long time lover of Fantasy world stuff, and a fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Although, I'm not a fanboy of this stuff like some of you freaks. I have no read the books, but I'm sure they are a ton better.

This scene was so ****ing stupid.

Agreed. Waaay too much fake looking CGI in this trilogy. The LoTRs movies had a ton of CGI as well, but he still used alot of practical effects. Not sure why He decided to change to digital so much?

TrickyNicky 04-22-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10577555)
Agreed. Waaay too much fake looking CGI in this trilogy. The LoTRs movies had a ton of CGI as well, but he still used alot of practical effects. Not sure why He decided to change to digital so much?

The HFR 3D probably played a big part in that. Considering how mind-blowing the 3D was touted as being, it was pretty meh for the most part.

Fishpicker 04-22-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10577555)

Smaug didn't impress me much. by the time I saw the movie, i was sick of hearing the name pronounced Smowg. Yech. where are Smaugs arms? and why does he look blue nosed? I thought LOTR had a really good blend of PR and CGI. The Hobbit was decent when i watched without 3D. Hobbit:DoS dragged on and left with another cliff hanger. none of that melted gold looked convincing. And that made no sense that Smaug was able to fly while coated in it.