ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Home brewing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239009)

Radar Chief 02-05-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 9380346)
Never ran into anything like that, but I have only heard of using welding supply place ancedotally, which I know a lot of people that do. I go to the Kansas Fire & Equipment here and get a 10lb filled for $14

We’ve got two or three welding supply shops in town, suppose I should just go and ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1moreTRich (Post 9380346)
You have a couple choices, you can get some corny kegs that have the sanke fittings (called sixth barrels I believe). These are pretty expensive last I checked and I'm not that familiar with the functionality of them (cleaning, dissembling, etc.). I have seen some people convert ball lock kegs to sanke fittings, but am unfamiliar with that process as well. What I would do is take the sanke fitting off your kegerator hoses and put on ball lock disconnects. The only problem being you wouldn't be able to easily serve commercial sanke kegs in the future, as you would have to cut off the ball lock disconnects and reconnected your sanke fitting.

I was kind of afraid of that, which I might still do but it would be a whole lot easier to switch from one type of keg to the other if I could build or buy some type of adaptor.
Regardless, thanks for your help. This gets me started. :thumb:

Bearcat 04-16-2014 07:19 PM

Got a Mr Beer kit as Christmas gift... tried it out, tasted like beer. Upgraded and started a stout this weekend and it's happily fermenting in the basement. The kit came with bourbon soaked oak chips and I'm thinking about adding some bourbon soaked cherries to this batch or a future batch (reading the debate on adding fruit to the primary or secondary).... maybe add some coffee.

Excited to see how it turns out so I can keep experimenting.

Also thinking about what I can do with the grain... tried making some bread with it, but didn't turn out very well... will try again though. Might buy a dehydrator so at least it'll last longer without needing to freeze it.

TambaBerry 04-16-2014 07:45 PM

I picked up a silly blonde recipe, should be pretty good. Whenever I get some time to brew it.

Unsmooth-Moment 04-17-2014 04:34 AM

I Have some honey wheat in the primary fermenter right now. Should be ready to bottle Saturday.

Zebedee DuBois 04-17-2014 05:13 AM

I made the jump to all-grain this year, and will be doing my third batch - a pale ale this weekend. i bottle, and ingredient costs are down to 55 cents a bottle, about half of what my extract recipe costs. I wish I had made the move earlier.

Marcellus 04-17-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois (Post 10568358)
I made the jump to all-grain this year, and will be doing my third batch - a pale ale this weekend. i bottle, and ingredient costs are down to 55 cents a bottle, about half of what my extract recipe costs. I wish I had made the move earlier.

Its cheaper but obviously more time consuming. I have been doing all grain for about a year now. Still improving my efficiencies.

I'm doing 10gal of pale ale this weekend and if I have time since its a 3 day weekend I may do a 5gal Belgian double.

Belgian beers always seem to come out excellent.

I have a really good Pale Ale recipe and and pretty good IPA and a decent hoppy wheat beer I have been working on.

Im getting thirsty.

I recommend Beer Smith brewing software to anyone that does all grain or brews much. Its extremely valuable when working your numbers out.

Bearcat 07-06-2014 11:15 AM

Started a Young's Double Chocolate Stout clone.... mixed recipes/ideas from here and here to make granola with the spent grains (in this case, chocolate malt, flaked oats, and crystal 60), and holy crap it's delicious. Best use of spent grains yet, without having to grind it into flour.