ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682)

Dartgod 07-07-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6864789)
Woofy's is the best Chicago Hot Dog place I've been to, it's been around for about 40 yrs or so. Off of California and Peterson IIRC.

It's Wolfy's and it's not downtown.

FAIL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6864805)
Hot Doug's. If you don't go there then you are depriving yourself of one of the best meals of your life. Seriously.

Not downtown.

FAIL!

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to give Portillo's a try.

BigRedChief 07-07-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 6865202)

FAIL!

Not downtown.

FAIL!

I never found a good hot dog place downtown. Lots of great pizza. Went to the Bulls game and had a great hot dog.

Reaper16 07-07-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Not downtown.

FAIL!

Yeah, a fail on your part for not catching a bus.

Frazod 07-07-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

FAIL!

Not downtown.

FAIL!

Portillos is great, but it is a chain. There's one a couple of miles from my house. Never get the hot dog, but they have an excellent beef and cheddar croissant sandwich.

One thing you should try if you haven't that's unique to this area is the Italian beef sandwich (Portillos has them). Thin sliced beef on a bun, generally dipped in broth. You can get it with mozerella cheese. One of my best friends is from here but now lives in New York, and whenever he visits the first thing he wants is an Italian beef from the nasty little hole in the wall diner he's eaten at since childhood.

SAUTO 07-07-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6865239)
Portillos is great, but it is a chain. There's one a couple of miles from my house. Never get the hot dog, but they have an excellent beef and cheddar croissant sandwich.

One thing you should try if you haven't that's unique to this area is the Italian beef sandwich (Portillos has them). Thin sliced beef on a bun, generally dipped in broth. You can get it with mozerella cheese. One of my best friends is from here but now lives in New York, and whenever he visits the first thing he wants is an Italian beef from the nasty little hole in the wall diner he's eaten at since childhood.

what area are you in fraz? im pretty sure i ate at the one close to you for some reason. cant for the life of me recall the name of the area....
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod 07-07-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6865248)
what area are you in fraz? im pretty sure i ate at the one close to you for some reason. cant for the life of me recall the name of the area....
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm in Naperville. Portillos are all over the area, though.

SAUTO 07-07-2010 05:51 PM

hey dartgod you could hit up an outlaws clubhouse. just walk up and knock. :)

just kiddin, hell you cant even enter the pisser if you arent an outlaw, all others use the porta poddy outside lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 07-07-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6865252)
I'm in Naperville. Portillos are all over the area, though.

nope thats the spot. we were there for my bros funeral and back for the benefit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod 07-07-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6865239)

I keep hearing that. I'll have to check one out.

BigRedChief 03-10-2011 05:38 PM

bump

ChiefaRoo 03-10-2011 08:04 PM

Avoid the Clap/Jimmy Dugan

Rooster 06-22-2011 07:46 AM

I'm heading up there for the first time, aside from connections, in August. A friendly bump.

OnTheWarpath15 06-22-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 7709136)
I'm heading up there for the first time, aside from connections, in August. A friendly bump.

Nice bump. I'm thinking of heading up in August for Cards-Cubs.

Have our hotel choices narrowed down to Hotel 71 and Hotel Monaco. Both are right on the river and are close to the red line that will take us straight to Wrigley. Probably going to be up there Thurs-Sun, going to the game on both Friday and Saturday afternoon.

We've already done most if not all of the touristy stuff on other trips - the only things I absolutely want to do this time around is hit Portillo's, and do one of the Chicago River Architecture Tours.

And of course, we'll be hitting Yolk every morning - best breakfast place ever.

BigRedChief 06-22-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7709389)
Nice bump. I'm thinking of heading up in August for Cards-Cubs.

Have our hotel choices narrowed down to Hotel 71 and Hotel Monaco. Both are right on the river and are close to the red line that will take us straight to Wrigley. Probably going to be up there Thurs-Sun, going to the game on both Friday and Saturday afternoon.

We've already done most if not all of the touristy stuff on other trips - the only things I absolutely want to do this time around is hit Portillo's, and do one of the Chicago River Architecture Tours.

And of course, we'll be hitting Yolk every morning - best breakfast place ever.

We loved Yolk's too.

HonestChieffan 06-22-2011 08:17 PM

Allerton is nice. Robert Allerton's family founded the Chicago Stockyards. Trivia for the bar. Allerton Park is now owned by the Univ of Illinois. Huge arts benefactor.

Ginos East for Pizza.
MOSI a must.