ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Walterfootball.com has KC picking #8 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264168)

DJ's left nut 10-02-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrow (Post 8970541)
Wilson is so hard to figure out. Does he actually suck, or is it a lack of weapons? Same time, he's gone from one bankrupt coach to another. And John L. Smith is crap.

Wilson has a !@#$ing ton of weapons at Arky.

Let's not forget that the recruits there are all WRs that wanted to come play under the most prolific passing HC in the country. Cobi Hamilton is a freakin' baller and he just got his premier RB back.

I'll concede that his situation hasn't been ideal this year with Petrino getting the boot, but don't for a minute give him a pass for lack of weapons - the kid has a ton of toys at his disposal and honestly those are the only things that are making his numbers anywhere near respectable.

That said, he is more polished than Bray (less than Murray). If Pioli's given another shot, I'm sure he'd be more prone to going with Wilson than Bray because the bust potential is lower. Unfortunately, there's no real chance to end up with a true franchise signal caller in Wilson.

KC_Lee 10-02-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8970534)
There is no way that the Browns have the #1 pick and pass up on Smith.

Yeah but would they be willing to trade down?

2013's 1st
2013's 3rd
2014's 1st
2014's 4th

for Browns overall 1st?

Molitoth 10-02-2012 12:36 PM

I just don't see the Browns taking another QB when they have spent on Weeden and McCoy and NEED A TON OF OTHER THINGS.

I can see the chiefs competing with:
Raiders, Jets (have the balls to trade up), Cowboys (have the balls to trade up)

RealSNR 10-02-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8970571)
I just don't see the Browns taking another QB when they have spent on Weeden and McCoy and NEED A TON OF OTHER THINGS.

Raiders, Jets (have the balls to trade up), Cowboys (have the balls to trade up)

I'm deathly afraid of the Jets now. Their team might be just as bad as we are. At least we have Jamaal Charles. Who do they have? ****ing Bilal Powell?

Plus they've shown to be super-aggressive when it comes to the draft in the past. The Sanchez trade was considered a pretty big deal until RGIII came along. You bet your ass that they would cough up all the picks necessary to go get a real QB.

I mean, we're in just as good shape as they are in terms of the potential to go get our franchise guy. Key difference is none of us have any faith that we'll act on that potential at all.

Discuss Thrower 10-02-2012 12:56 PM

Oh how fun this offseason will be if that one win against New Orleans proves to be the thing that moves KC out of a position to draft a QB.

RealSNR 10-02-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 8970563)
Yeah but would they be willing to trade down?

2013's 1st
2013's 3rd
2014's 1st
2014's 4th

for Browns overall 1st?

Depends on where we pick. If we are selecting in the top 5 this year, that might be enough. From 5-10 we'll need more. Beyond 10th overall, I don't think we have any shot :deevee:

That's okay, though. We'll just have to do what we do best. Lose games.

saphojunkie 10-02-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8970534)
There is no way that the Browns have the #1 pick and pass up on Smith.

Has any team in history drafted a quarterback in the first round twice in two drafts?

If it has ever happened once, then I will believe you.

KC_Lee 10-02-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8970637)
Depends on where we pick. If we are selecting in the top 5 this year, that might be enough. From 5-10 we'll need more. Beyond 10th overall, I don't think we have any shot :deevee:

That's okay, though. We'll just have to do what we do best. Lose games.

Then why do I get this sinking feeling that we will go on a meaningless 5 - 6 winning streak at the end of the season?!?

ChiefsCountry 10-02-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8970667)
Has any team in history drafted a quarterback in the first round twice in two drafts?

Dallas Cowboys

Titty Meat 10-02-2012 01:15 PM

We better lose to Cleveland

DJ's left nut 10-02-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8970571)

I actually think the Browns would be wise to consider a trade-down scenario with us whereby they bank a bunch of 1st round picks and take Bray with our first rounder.

Bray isn't any less talented as a passer than Smith (in fact, I think he's a more talented pure passer). He's just much more raw and has a higher bust potential. If you have a guy like Weeden that can keep the seat warm for 2 years or so while Bray learns (and Bray does need to learn), and you can bank a couple more very high draft picks, I think that's the way to go.

Or you can take the less risky route and just draft Smith. In the end, though, the high risk/high reward scenario of getting Bray and a bunch of talent through the picks, may be just the HR swing that a franchise as downtrodden as the Browns needs to take.

DaneMcCloud 10-02-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8970667)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8970692)
Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys selected Aikman #1 overall in 1989, then selected Steve Walsh #1 overall in the Supplemental Draft the following summer.

Also, keep in mind that with the new Rookie Wage Scale having gone into effect, the most Cleveland would have to shell out for Top 3 QB would be around $4-5 million per year.

If you're a new GM, owner, coaching staff, etc. and Geno Smith is sitting there, are you even thinking about passing him up in favor of Weeden?

If so, you should be fired on the spot.

Titty Meat 10-02-2012 02:29 PM

I would trade those picks this time.

Even though this team will have some holes if you let Cassel and Jackson go you'll save about 15 million plus the 25 you have in cap space. You the cap space to fill some of those holes. The team will be able to compete for the division with a rookie QB and new head coach next year.

suds79 10-02-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8970706)
We better lose to Cleveland

Yep. That game could be huge in the race for Geno.

Sorter 10-02-2012 02:55 PM

Us getting Geno Smith via a trade with the Browns is entirely dependent on Brandon Weeden's success and growth as a NFL QB.

We best start rooting for Weeden to play well.