ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271595)

Mr_Tomahawk 06-16-2013 07:29 AM

So name our starting lineup...no listing any "either or" within the position.

DJay23 06-16-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9754515)

Black
Ellis
Wiggins
Selden
Tharpe

Mr_Tomahawk 06-16-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9754518)
Black
Ellis
Wiggins
Selden
Tharpe

Hmmmmmm. I like.

DJay23 06-16-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9754521)
Hmmmmmm. I like.

A lot of people seem to think Embiid will start from day 1, but Self has said he needs to learn how to hold his position better. Black is a mountain inside and will eat up space and rebounds.

Mr. Laz 06-16-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9754515)

Selden and Wiggins will start

after that it's whomever players the best defense

chief4life 06-16-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9754573)
Selden and Wiggins will start

after that it's whomever players the best defense

I think the locks to start our Selden, Wiggins, Tharpe, Ellis the center position is the one we need to keep an eye on. People aren't mentioning Lucas and he is coming on the scene fast! This is a great problem to have I just wish it was October already!

Braincase 06-16-2013 09:45 AM

Black
Ellis
A. Wiggins
Selden
Tharpe

We got your mutha f****** BEAST mode right here, bitches.

Prison Bitch 06-16-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 9754445)
Why are peeps stalking him?

It's almost like our fanbase has turned full-Kentucky.

Ceej 06-16-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9754741)
It's almost like our fanbase has turned full-Kentucky.

Minus the hateful, racist and violent tweets/comments.

Otherwise spot on. Dummy.

saphojunkie 06-16-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9754518)
Black
Ellis
Wiggins
Selden
Tharpe

Wouldn't have believed black until I saw the scrimmage. Dude is just pure energy and effort. Has a nose for spacing, and you can just see that he and Selden had the same instincts on where the play should be.

He is like Kevin young but weighs 260.

I'm already pissed we only have him one year.

DJay23 06-16-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9754786)
Wouldn't have believed black until I saw the scrimmage. Dude is just pure energy and effort. Has a nose for spacing, and you can just see that he and Selden had the same instincts on where the play should be.

He is like Kevin young but weighs 260.

I'm already pissed we only have him one year.

All of that experience is going to buy him a lot of time in Self's eyes.

Ceej 06-17-2013 08:55 PM

Jerrance Howard was a HUGE get for this program.

Connections in Texas and Chicago.

sedated 06-17-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9758361)
Jerrance Howard was a HUGE get for this program.

Connections in Texas and Chicago.

Some of the best recruits the next 2 years are out of Chicago. Howard might pay off as much as getting Roberts apparently has.

Ceej 06-17-2013 09:01 PM

I'm not on twitter or insta gram.

But someone needs to post the picture of Howard, Embiid, Selden, Wiggins, Miles and Tarik.

teedubya 06-17-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9758382)
I'm not on twitter or insta gram.

But someone needs to post the picture of Howard, Embiid, Selden, Wiggins, Miles and Tarik.

How about YOU do it, since we have no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

Shogun 06-17-2013 09:20 PM

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram...0a1fafb5_7.jpg

Mr_Tomahawk 06-17-2013 09:33 PM

OH.MY.GOD.

Ceej 06-17-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9758417)
How about YOU do it, since we have no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

Can't do it from my iPad.

Looks like someone had an idea. I didn't think it was rocket science.

O.city 06-17-2013 09:39 PM

So who's who in that pic? I know Wiggins and Embid

Ceej 06-17-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9758463)
So who's who in that pic? I know Wiggins and Embid

There's one that's fairly obvious.

Shogun 06-17-2013 09:42 PM

Left to right ( i think )

Wiggins, Black, Aaron Miles, Howard, Embiid, Selden

Chiefs Pantalones 06-17-2013 10:12 PM

I came.

Bambi 06-17-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9758420)

These mutha****as are gonna destroy Kentucky.

saphojunkie 06-18-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9758544)
These mutha****as are gonna destroy Kentucky.

Holy shit. I mean HO LEE SHEYIT

teedubya 06-18-2013 01:58 AM

Those are some grown ass men.

saphojunkie 06-18-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9758731)
Those are some grown ass men.

Selden's HUGE!

chiefqueen 06-18-2013 11:55 AM

This may go into a different thread but now we know why Time Warner is not worried about Google fiber (at least not in KC). TWC apparently had an "ace in the hole" and they are playing it.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/18...ames-will.html

Google Fiber tried to get MetroSports added to its line-up last fall but negotiations broke off.

Bambi 06-18-2013 12:14 PM

EYEON
College Basketball

GARY PARRISH
College Basketball Insider

Andrew Wiggins 'wows' Kansas staff in first college workout
June 18, 2013 11:31 am ET

Andrew Wiggins arrived at Kansas on Saturday and participated in his first practice Monday. I asked somebody close to the KU program how that practice went.

"Wow!" the source said. "Like watching a video game. He'd be the No. 1 pick this year."

OK, then.

And, remember, this is the same KU that just had Ben McLemore, a prospect so talented he could go No. 1 in next week's NBA Draft. But not if Wiggins was in it. Because this 6-foot-7 wing is apparently operating at a different level, and that's precisely why he should be a preseason First Team All-American and the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

Simply put, Wiggins isn't a media-created sensation.

He really is a unique talent.

And now his first college workout is in the books.

Chiefs Pantalones 06-18-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9759367)
EYEON
College Basketball

GARY PARRISH
College Basketball Insider

Andrew Wiggins 'wows' Kansas staff in first college workout
June 18, 2013 11:31 am ET

Andrew Wiggins arrived at Kansas on Saturday and participated in his first practice Monday. I asked somebody close to the KU program how that practice went.

"Wow!" the source said. "Like watching a video game. He'd be the No. 1 pick this year."

OK, then.

And, remember, this is the same KU that just had Ben McLemore, a prospect so talented he could go No. 1 in next week's NBA Draft. But not if Wiggins was in it. Because this 6-foot-7 wing is apparently operating at a different level, and that's precisely why he should be a preseason First Team All-American and the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

Simply put, Wiggins isn't a media-created sensation.

He really is a unique talent.

And now his first college workout is in the books.

I came again.

Silock 06-18-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefqueen (Post 9759326)
This may go into a different thread but now we know why Time Warner is not worried about Google fiber (at least not in KC). TWC apparently had an "ace in the hole" and they are playing it.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/18...ames-will.html

Google Fiber tried to get MetroSports added to its line-up last fall but negotiations broke off.

Their Ace in the hole is MetroSports? Lol

That's not an Ace. That's not even a face card.

Chief_For_Life58 06-18-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9759958)

metro sports is by far the best channel on local kc cable tv

sedated 06-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Hopefully Metro Sports improves their quality before then. It looks like something that a group of high school kids would put together to be shown in the cafeteria during lunch.

The best part is when they show highlights while discussing a player, and loop the same 3 highlights over and over again.

Hopefully Metro Sports improves their quality before then. It looks like something that a group of high school kids would put together to be shown in the cafeteria during lunch.

The best part is when they show highlights while discussing a player, and loop the same 3 highlights over and over again.

But according to reports, there’s a lot of information that hasn’t come out yet that will make this deal seem pretty good and will expand KU's national exposure.

Pablo 06-18-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9760029)

But according to reports, there’s a lot of information that hasn’t come out yet that will make this deal seem pretty good and will expand KU's national exposure.

Does KU really need help in this area? I know it never hurts to get the most publicity possible; but I'm just not sure how this is going to happen.

sedated 06-18-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9760036)
Does KU really need help in this area? I know it never hurts to get the most publicity possible; but I'm just not sure how this is going to happen.

IMO it never hurts - ESPN doesn't seem too concerned with any teams west of Pennsylvania. And we are talking about more than just hoops.

Baby Lee 06-18-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9760029)

Speaking of looping, ironic post is ironic.

chiefqueen 06-18-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

TWC's "Ace" is never agreeing to let Google Fiber enter into an agreement to include MetroSports in their TV Line-up therefore making those of us who are wanting to "ditch" TWC altogether "OK do I want Google's TV Service or do I want to be able to see KU BB and FB games?" (At least 2 Jayhawk FB would be shown on MetroSports including the TX game.)

I think TWC's mindset is that while they cannot get people to stay with their Internet Service, thhey can at least make people think twice about dumping their cable service with them if subscribers knew they only way they could watch every KU BB this season would be if they remained w/TWC for cable service.

chiefqueen 06-18-2013 04:23 PM

Here is Matt Tait's blog for further clarification

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tal...s-announced-t/

WhawhaWhat 06-18-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefqueen (Post 9760121)
TWC's "Ace" is never agreeing to let Google Fiber enter into an agreement to include MetroSports in their TV Line-up therefore making those of us who are wanting to "ditch" TWC altogether "OK do I want Google's TV Service or do I want to be able to see KU BB and FB games?" (At least 2 Jayhawk FB would be shown on MetroSports including the TX game.)

I think TWC's mindset is that while they cannot get people to stay with their Internet Service, thhey can at least make people think twice about dumping their cable service with them if subscribers knew they only way they could watch every KU BB this season would be if they remained w/TWC for cable service.

or just stream it on PC using Google Fiber or get your friend's Watch ESPN app password and watch it on Xbox using Google Fiber.

chiefsfan987 06-18-2013 05:00 PM

I guess I still don't understand how they think they expanded their national exposure. Seems like they're getting the same national exposure as they had before they did the deal to me. It also sounds like they reduced their local exposure as if you don't have metrosports you're just going to miss those six games. Guy representing KU just said about 20 minutes ago or so on 810 that if you don't have metro sports you'll have to go over to a friends house that does.

Bambi 06-18-2013 05:09 PM

I think you guys are missing the point of the deal just a bit. KU is going national here and frankly isn't really concerned with the local markets as they know they already have those well in control.

I have Time Warner in NY and I can tell you that every day there are channels popping up (many sports and university oriented) that carry all kinds of content. That's what KU is looking to do. KU fans in every city will now get access to the 6 ball games you could only see on Jayhawk TV before and now all these other games (volleyball, women's basketball, track, etc...)

That's what the Big 10 Network does. This way KU basically has it's own Big 10 network focused solely on them. The trick here is that it's only available to Time Warner customers but from what I can tell TW is attempting to pretty much take over every last customer in the country and they are convinced sports is a great way to get there.

This is all about a push for a greater national presence for KU. IMG and Time Warner sure seem to think KU is worth the $$.

saphojunkie 06-18-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9760248)
I think you guys are missing the point of the deal just a bit. KU is going national here and frankly isn't really concerned with the local markets as they know they already have those well in control.

I have Time Warner in NY and I can tell you that every day there are channels popping up (many sports and university oriented) that carry all kinds of content. That's what KU is looking to do. KU fans in every city will now get access to the 6 ball games you could only see on Jayhawk TV before and now all these other games (volleyball, women's basketball, track, etc...)

That's what the Big 10 Network does. This way KU basically has it's own Big 10 network focused solely on them. The trick here is that it's only available to Time Warner customers but from what I can tell TW is attempting to pretty much take over every last customer in the country and they are convinced sports is a great way to get there.

This is all about a push for a greater national presence for KU. IMG and Time Warner sure seem to think KU is worth the $$.

Great. Right after I let go of TWC in favor of DirecTV.

Bambi 06-18-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9760410)
Great. Right after I let go of TWC in favor of DirecTV.

From what I read if you live in the state of Kansas you will still get this network regardless of having TWC. At least the 6 bball games.

TWC is definitely trying to get customers here. Read what Tait wrote about the Lakers situation a couple years ago. People flipped out and they made a deal with Direct TV. Same thing could happen here.

saphojunkie 06-18-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9760465)
From what I read if you live in the state of Kansas you will still get this network regardless of having TWC. At least the 6 bball games.

TWC is definitely trying to get customers here. Read what Tait wrote about the Lakers situation a couple years ago. People flipped out and they made a deal with Direct TV. Same thing could happen here.

Alas...live in LA.

I should get a slingbox and hook it up at my mom's place in OP.

Bambi 06-18-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9760569)
Alas...live in LA.

I should get a slingbox and hook it up at my mom's place in OP.

It's definitely a power move and potential troubling because these cable companies are literally at war trying to get customers to sign up with them exclusively. It works for KU because I'm sure they are getting more $$ from this deal than anyone in the Big 12 besides Texas. It's going to be a huge number.

Not only that but SZ and KU are looking beyond the KCMO area for their brand. They see what college athletics are worth and the fact is there are cable providers out there willing to give KU the exposure.

The Jayhawk Network (or whatever it's going to be called) will be available in every single market that Time Warner exists in. And this isn't a shared thing ala Oklahoma, K State, etc... this is their own channel. It's actually more exposure than the Longhorn Network because local affiliates don't have to "pick it up"... it's going to be apart of the TWC's nationwide network.

Now that doesn't mean it's going to be free. Each subscriber will probably have to pay just like you have to pay for the BTN. Would I pay for it? Sure. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a bonanza with individuals.

The real value to KU here is having that revamped network. It's another piece to a resume that is sure to boost the brand. This is SZ and Co's biggest get since taking over. It's risky in the sense that you're taking a bit of what used to be free away from a few local people... but you're building a huge system that they hope will be value enough for people to switch over to TWC altogether.

TWC thinks that will happen. Otherwise they would have never made this deal.

sedated 06-19-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9760050)
Speaking of looping, ironic post is ironic.

While I would love to take credit for a purposely ironic post, its either thread AIDZ, or some post merging that got screwed up.

sedated 06-19-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9760248)

I think you are missing the point - despite all the clamoring about "this is KANSAS city", they just turned their back on their biggest market.

Even the sports bars in KC wont have access to games because every bar has DirecTV.

Silock 06-19-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9761931)
I think you are missing the point - despite all the clamoring about "this is KANSAS city", they just turned their back on their biggest market.

Even the sports bars in KC wont have access to games because every bar has DirecTV.

LOL. Come on. They aren't stupid.

Bambi 06-19-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9761931)

I'm not sure. The sports bar I go to has both TWC and Direct TV. Is it an attempt to get more bars and restaurants to buy TWC subscriptions? Maybe.

And if what KK said yesterday is right and KU has written into the agreement that they get a cut of each new subscription from TWC then it's freaking ruthless and more money then they'll ever be able to spend.

sedated 06-19-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9762006)
And if what KK said yesterday is right and KU has written into the agreement that they get a cut of each new subscription from TWC

this is not the case at all according to the associate AD. Here's the summary of his interview yesterday:

"As of right now, if you dont have TWC and live in the KC area, you'll have to go to a friends house to watch...

...this wasnt a monetary decision, thats not what tier 3 is about, its about national exposure...

...(sounds like a great deal for TWC, if subscriptions increase, will KU's benefits increase?) financially? no...

...this deal was struck by IMG (was it exclusively an IMG decision?) it was a joint decision...

...we are proud to have 11 of our 18 sports get the chance to be seen nationally..."

Braincase 06-19-2013 08:30 AM

We should've held out for all you can eat breadsticks at Olive Garden.

HolyHandgernade 06-19-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9762068)
this is not the case at all according to the associate AD. Here's the summary of his interview yesterday:

"As of right now, if you dont have TWC and live in the KC area, you'll have to go to a friends house to watch...

...this wasnt a monetary decision, thats not what tier 3 is about, its about national exposure...

...(sounds like a great deal for TWC, if subscriptions increase, will KU's benefits increase?) financially? no...

...this deal was struck by IMG (was it exclusively an IMG decision?) it was a joint decision...

...we are proud to have 11 of our 18 sports get the chance to be seen nationally..."

From what I understand, its a two step process, so it is possible that what he says may be true for the time being until the second phase kicks in.

Bambi 06-19-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9762068)

I wouldn't expect everyone to be thrilled with this. I am, but I think moves like what KU has done are necessary to "keep up with the Jones's".

Kentucky, Duke, UNC... aren't getting any smaller and I think all three have a bigger national brand than KU. KU just landed the best prospect on the planet, have a coach who has won more games in the last 6 years than in the history of the sport, and are embarking on a new era of college sports like it or not.

Now is the time to strike and bring your brand to a greater level on a national scale. It will work too. There's a reason why Phil Knight, Jay Z, etc hang out in the Kentucky locker room. It's branding. Partnering with Adidas to get to that level is what I think KU is angling for. Seeing Lebron draped in his Adidas Heat jersey last night and seeing Wiggins walk around day and night decked out are very important and something KU is looking to capitalize on.

sedated 06-19-2013 10:37 AM

I’m holding out hope that there’s something in the works to get the games (and extra coverage) on in the local markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9762317)
blah blah blah

You can blabber on and on all you want, but Duke/North Carolina would never agree to a TV deal that blacks out over 50% of Charlotte.

Bambi 06-19-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9762341)
I’m holding out hope that there’s something in the works to get the games (and extra coverage) on in the local markets.

You can blabber on and on all you want, but Duke/North Carolina would never agree to a TV deal that blacks out over 50% of Charlotte.

You better get on the phone then to Direct TV. You seem very upset over missing that Washburn game.

saphojunkie 06-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9762363)
You better get on the phone then to Direct TV. You seem very upset over missing that Washburn game.

****, dude... I am. We have one year with Wiggins and Black (and Selden and Embiid?). I want to see every glorious dunk.

sedated 06-19-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9762363)

I haven’t missed a single second of KU hoops in 10 years. Of course I’m upset about it. I would say that I will be at the bar for every one of those games (even preseason) but oops most bars have DirecTV.

Bambi 06-19-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9762441)
I haven’t missed a single second of KU hoops in 10 years. Of course I’m upset about it. I would say that I will be at the bar for every one of those games (even preseason) but oops most bars have DirecTV.

Where do you live?

Bambi 06-19-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9762401)
****, dude... I am. We have one year with Wiggins and Black (and Selden and Embiid?). I want to see every glorious dunk.

You've got a point. This is probably the ONE year in the last 50 that you're going to want to watch every second.

Chiefs Pantalones 06-19-2013 04:02 PM

@KUsports: Video MT @jessenewell: Andrew Wiggins's first dunk at camp game: http://t.co/bQC4ExdkWL

God help anyone that tries to guard Wiggins.

cmh6476 06-19-2013 04:06 PM

Didn't the assistant ad that was on with keitzman say this isn't going to change what was already in place with the Big 12 network, carried by ESPN? It is just going to add to that? I never got any of the games that are going to be carried on the new network anyway living in St. Joe. :shrug:

Bambi 06-19-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmh6476 (Post 9763009)
Didn't the assistant ad that was on with keitzman say this isn't going to change what was already in place with the Big 12 network, carried by ESPN? It is just going to add to that? I never got any of the games that are going to be carried on the new network anyway living in St. Joe. :shrug:

No one did except those living in the local area on some random station like Channel 62.

Funny thing is now I, in NYC, get to see these random 6 games just by having TW. That along with 24/7 Jayhawk Sports coverage. I personally can't wait.

Bambi 06-19-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9762996)
@KUsports: Video MT @jessenewell: Andrew Wiggins's first dunk at camp game: http://t.co/bQC4ExdkWL

God help anyone that tries to guard Wiggins.

Dude looks like he playin on an 8 foot goal.

Bambi 06-19-2013 05:09 PM

Greene is an assassin

http://www2.kusports.com/videos/2013/jun/19/35812/

Buehler445 06-19-2013 06:59 PM

Wiggins. Wow. What the...? I don't even...

Chiefs Pantalones 06-19-2013 09:17 PM

I guess the guys on 610/810 were saying Wiggins is a terrible shooter and overall tearing him down (trolling essentially) while all the local and national media are praising him all around. Petro and Kietzman were the trolls.

Why do they try? You can't troll KU basketball.

Chiefspants 06-19-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9763898)
I guess the guys on 610/810 were saying Wiggins is a terrible shooter and overall tearing him down (trolling essentially) while all the local and national media are praising him all around. Petro and Kietzman were the trolls.

Did they mean it or were they actually trolling?

Chiefs Pantalones 06-19-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9763904)
Did they mean it or were they actually trolling?

They would have to be trolling because the kid is a one of a kind talent. He's a freak. Nobody but them is saying he can't shoot.

Bambi 06-19-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Imagine being K State. You "win" 3 titles and then are exposed in each sport in the most embarrassing, overrated fashion you could imagine.

I got a good laugh last week when Jack Harry was on the show and he said he'd favor MU by 13 over the Cats if they were to play this fall.

It's so hilarious.

Bambi 06-19-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9763911)
They would have to be trolling because the kid is a one of a kind talent. He's a freak. Nobody but them is saying he can't shoot.

He's the biggest recruit at KU since Wilt Chamberlain.

And Wilt Chamberlain is arguably the greatest basketball player of all time.

It's going to be one hell of a season.

RustShack 06-20-2013 12:28 AM

What's your opinion on Releford? I found this tweet very interesting...

@JonRothstein: Dustin Hogue will be Iowa State's most underrated newcomer. Could start at SF. Think a more physically developed Travis Releford.

Braincase 06-20-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9764099)

@JonRothstein: Dustin Hogue will be Iowa State's most underrated newcomer. Could start at SF. Think a more physically developed Travis Releford.

MORE physically developed that T-Relly? I'm calling BS.

sedated 06-20-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Releford was a good athlete, not a freak, but could throw down some good dunks.

I love me some Releford. Great perimeter defender, could knock down a 3.

sedated 06-20-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

The best way to get ratings is to either cater to a fan-base or to troll it. Its best to just ignore them.

However, with the hype and expectations that have been built up for Wiggins, I’m starting to think he will be a disappointment in some fashion. That doesn’t mean he can’t/won’t be a top 3 all-time Jayhawk. If he goes off for 30 points, people will still point to him missing too many 3s or something.

RustShack 06-20-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9764262)
Releford was a good athlete, not a freak, but could throw down some good dunks.

I love me some Releford. Great perimeter defender, could knock down a 3.

Yeah that's basically how they describe Hogue... All though I'm not sure if he has the three ball(yet)... Really all I've heard is he's a great defender and can jump out of the gym.

Al Czervik 06-20-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9764549)
Yeah that's basically how they describe Hogue... All though I'm not sure if he has the three ball(yet)... Really all I've heard is he's a great defender and can jump out of the gym.

Here ya go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Gregory

LOL

Buehler445 06-20-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9764549)

The thing that sticks out about Releford is his commitment to the team concept.

If he's physically Releford, he'll be OK. Releford was a good athlete, but he wasn't anything.

The thing that made Releford an absolutely critical piece to a couple great teams was his commitment to the team concepts. He absolutely committed to his role as a stopper and was completely unselfish with the basketball. In 2013 he developed the ability to finish fast breaks and became pretty much the go to guy on fast breaks. But he was terribly unselfish. If he had a hole, he'd put up 30. If there was better play to be made, he gave it up and was happy scoring 4.

If you get a kid that will absolutely sell out on the defensive end like Releford did, and he has Releford's physical abilities, he could be scary.

But kids that operate like Releford don't come around much.

If he's roughly Releford's physical ability, he's probably top 1/3-1/4 of the players out there.

RustShack 06-20-2013 02:16 PM

Yeah he sounds like the unselfish defense first type of guy. Hopefully hes as underrated as this guy thinks!

Braincase 06-20-2013 02:56 PM

What was Releford's scoring %? Wasn't he the top scorer by % in D-1 or something ridiculous? I guess he had an aptitude for taking high percentage shots and canning the damned things.

RustShack 06-20-2013 07:19 PM

It's between Hogue or SDW to start at the three for us I'm pretty sure. Hogue is coming from Juco, and SDW was a top 125 recruit last year who redshirted because he only weighed like 170, but Fred said he still could have played a lot from just pure talent. He also broke the Capital City League record the other day by scoring 67 in a game... Michigan and Indiana wanted him to play PG, but we offered him SG.

RustShack 06-20-2013 07:25 PM

So Hogue would and probably will start because of his defense... And SDW might be our new Tyrus McGee, but a lot more well rounded overall offensively... But maybe not quite as autatic from three even though that is supposed to be his game.