ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What's for dinner? Here's mine... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269869)

Pasta Little Brioni 07-15-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10748326)
Six pounds of chicken for 10 bucks or NOTHING AT ALL.

With a side of Ramen!

Easy 6 07-15-2014 05:08 PM

Yes, its a big difference from fresh to frozen breasts that are pumped full of saltwater solutions etc... but damn man, some of you guys (looking at you FMB) act like its right there with picking through a dumpster for dinner.

Frozen breasts are perfectly fine for most applications.

Hammock Parties 07-15-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10748329)
Yes, its a big difference from fresh to frozen breasts that are pumped full of saltwater solutions etc... but damn man, some of you guys (looking at you FMB) act like its right there with picking through a dumpster for dinner.

Keep in my freezer longer too.

Fire Me Boy! 07-15-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10748329)

WTF?

I think I actually defended this poverty stuff before. Only thing I'd suggest is doing it fresh because it'd taste better (if this tasted good with frozen and canned shit, imagine how good it'd be with quality ingredients!).

My only problem with frozen protein is it can lend a weird texture sometimes. But I have frozen in my kitchen too, and it gets used on occasion.

Easy 6 07-15-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10748344)
WTF?

I think I actually defended this poverty stuff before. Only thing I'd suggest is doing it fresh because it'd taste better (if this tasted good with frozen and canned shit, imagine how good it'd be with quality ingredients!).

My only problem with frozen protein is it can lend a weird texture sometimes. But I have frozen in my kitchen too, and it gets used on occasion.

I completely agree about the texture, all of the flavoring solutions and deep freezing they use change it... but its not that bad and when I can get a 3 pound bag for $6?

Sold to the stocky man with the chin scruff.

Fire Me Boy! 07-16-2014 08:24 AM

I've been really uninspired lately.

Dinny Bossa Nova 07-16-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10749157)
I've been really uninspired lately.

Perhaps asking your advice on some things might spark some creative energy.

I have been wanting to do some stuffed type things on the charcoal grill. Whole trout, salmon or walleye filets (for pinwheels), some kind of beef (also pinwheels), jalapeno and bell peppers.

I like the idea of crab meat in stuffing, but veggie and cheese based stuff is good, too. I do everything indirect and need something that won't turn my pinwheels into unmanageable glop.

I also want to try and pull off flaming deviled eggs, but I don't know why.

Dinny

Fire Me Boy! 07-16-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Blues (Post 10749174)
Perhaps asking your advice on some things might spark some creative energy.

I have been wanting to do some stuffed type things on the charcoal grill. Whole trout, salmon or walleye filets (for pinwheels), some kind of beef (also pinwheels), jalapeno and bell peppers.

I like the idea of crab meat in stuffing, but veggie and cheese based stuff is good, too. I do everything indirect and need something that won't turn my pinwheels into unmanageable glop.

I also want to try and pull off flaming deviled eggs, but I don't know why.

Dinny

:hmmm:

I've never done whole fish, but the Publix on my way home has been having whole fresh red snapper lately... I love snapper.

I've had crab and flounder and crab and steak, so I don't know how you could go wrong there. Make a stuffing out of trinity, lump crab meat, galic, mayo, egg, and breadcrumbs. Stuff inside the trout or roulade with some thin flank steak... that sounds pretty tasty.

I have to admit, I've done very little stuffing of food. My wife made a pretty great apple/cranberry stuffed pork tenderloin a couple months ago. It was very good.

sedated 07-16-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10748351)
I completely agree about the texture, all of the flavoring solutions and deep freezing they use change it... but its not that bad and when I can get a 3 pound bag for $6?

Fresh chicken breasts are frequently on sale for $2/lb (I recently saw them for $1.5/lb). Well, not frequently, but generally once every couple months. I'll wait for those sales and buy enough to fill half my freezer, like 15 or 20 lbs, and throw them all in the freezer. That will last me until the next sale.

sedated 07-16-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10746598)
Deglazed pan with some water and a tad of butter with lid on for a few minutes for a nice tasty sauce.

How is buttery water considered a tasty sauce?

Fire Me Boy! 07-16-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10749294)
Fresh chicken breasts are frequently on sale for $2/lb (I recently saw them for $1.5/lb). Well, not frequently, but generally once every couple months. I'll wait for those sales and buy an insane amount, like 15 or 20 lbs, and throw them all in the freezer. That will last me until the next sale.

Buy the whole chicken and cut it up yourself and you can often get 'em for 99 cents a pound or less, plus you get legs, thighs, and wings, as well as a leftover carcass for stock.

R8RFAN 07-17-2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10749304)
Buy the whole chicken and cut it up yourself and you can often get 'em for 99 cents a pound or less, plus you get legs, thighs, and wings, as well as a leftover carcass for stock.

Chicken is so easy to cut up.. I would never pay the premium price of a pretty cut chicken.. I have a sharp cleaver and I think I can cut one up in a minute or two

mikeyis4dcats. 07-17-2014 07:20 AM

picked up some great looking bone in ribeyes (choice) from Dillons and grilled them last night. They were maybe the worst steaks I've ever had. Just no flavor. Threw half of them away.

BucEyedPea 07-17-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 10749299)
How is buttery water considered a tasty sauce?

It doesn't come out like buttery water. De-glazing mixes with the chicken fat in the pan and the carmelized bits. It comes out juicy and tasty. I suppose one could use milk or cream and flour to make gravy instead.

BucEyedPea 07-17-2014 08:28 AM

I've been looking for swordfish but no one seems do have it. Not even on the fish docks and another specialty store has closed down and moved. I wanted to make my lime-cilantro swordfish meal. Maybe, it will be in a few days.