ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft A mock draft that will make your heads explode (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268335)

Hootie 01-02-2013 08:27 AM

I still say we draft a punter #1 overall Exoter. We saw how valuable Colquitt was this year so I think we should let him walk and take the best punter on the board #1 overall. Agree?

Rasputin 01-02-2013 08:57 AM

Mike Golic on Mike & Mike just said he wouldn't draft a QBotf for his franchise QB. JHC I just lost all respect for him. WTF is wrong with him?

WhiteWhale 01-02-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY CHIEF (Post 9265630)
After watching gino in the syracuse game , he really didnt look like a 1st round pick at all , none the less 1st overall...................:hmmm:

I didn't watch the game, so I'm looking at the stats and trying to figure out what about this game was so terrible. 16/24 for 197 and both of his team's TD's. 8.2 YPA, 0 INT's and a couple TD's isn't a bad game.

Meanwhile the rushing game provided 88 yards on 33 carries. They had 10 penalties for over 100 yards. The defense allowed over 500 yards.

Obviously this was something one had to watch the game to understand why this was such a failure on him as an individual. On the scorecard it looks like he's the only guy who showed up.

CoMoChief 01-02-2013 09:03 AM

You never take a safety at #5 overall!!!!!!!!! NEVAR!!!!!

Thig Lyfe 01-02-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9266942)
Actually, it means you no longer have to worry about drafting a position in the top 5 that you wouldn't normally draft that high because you'd have to pay him out the ass.

Not that you can magically waste a ****ing draft pick because you aren't going to have to pay them.

Jesus Christ people.

You're literally the only person in the world using this logic. Drafting a QB #1 is never "wasting a draft pick" even if the QB doesn't pan out; it's how 31 other goddamn teams in this league do business. It's how any legitimate team starts the rebuilding process. And the CBA means that you can draft a QB without the attendant risk of a bazillion dollar contract. There's literally no good reason to not draft a QB at #1 now, even if Luck and RGIII aren't available. YOU'RE GETTING THE MOST VALUABLE POSITION IN FOOTBALL AT A SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER PRICE. Using the #1 pick on a position that is 100x less valuable, like say ILB, makes no ****ing sense.

Of course, this will all be moot when Geno tears up the combine and all the so-called experts decide he's truly deserving of the top pick after all.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9267361)
You're literally the only person in the world using this logic. Drafting a QB #1 is never "wasting a draft pick" even if the QB doesn't pan out; it's how 31 other goddamn teams in this league do business. It's how any legitimate team starts the rebuilding process. And the CBA means that you can draft a QB without the attendant risk of a bazillion dollar contract. There's literally no good reason to not draft a QB at #1 now, even if Luck and RGIII aren't available. YOU'RE GETTING THE MOST VALUABLE POSITION IN FOOTBALL AT A SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER PRICE. Using the #1 pick on a position that is 100x less valuable, like say ILB, makes no ****ing sense.

Of course, this will all be moot when Geno tears up the combine and all the so-called experts decide he's truly deserving of the top pick after all.

If you draft Manti Te'o at #1 and he becomes a HALL OF FAMER, this is an 8-win team.

If you draft Geno Smith at #1 and he's marginally better than Ryan Tannehill, this is an 8-win team.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 09:29 AM

Background: I have never been a QB or bust guy with the Chiefs first-round pick. I have debated quite intensely at times on this board about the guys available to the Chiefs at No. 1 (speaking out markedly against Sanchez and also Matthew "Front Mullet/China Doll/One above-average season" Stafford).

But this year? In this draft that doesn't offer any other true impact options at the Chiefs pick? I'm a "draft-a-QB" guy.

I think expecting a QB of high value to fall to No. 33 might be a bit optimistic.

The Jaguars are likely bringing in Tebow, but it wouldn't surprise to see them take a REAL QB at No. 2.

The Raiders need a QB, unless they're pinning their hopes on one game of Terrelle Pryor (in which he posted a 70.1 QB rating - as a Chiefs fan, you hope for this, right?)

The Browns took Brandon Weeden a year ago, but he stinks ( and was a later 1st round pick).

The Cardinals need a QB more than any team not called the Chiefs.

The Bills could draft a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick is just OK, and he's not a spring chicken (He's 30).

The Jets need a QB, as Sanchez is terrible and Tebow is likely gone.

The Chargers have an old and declining Philip Rivers (31) and might be looking to backfill.

That's seven other teams that could logically draft a QB based on need/opportunity. It doesn't account for smart teams (like the Patriots) that would draft a QB if they feel it's the best talent there.

I don't think there are THAT many QBs of equal talent level that you can EXPECT one to fall to No. 33. Especially THE guy. Best thing for the Chiefs would be someone like Jarvis Jones just completely blowing up at the combine, enough to separate himself as the clear No. 1 pick (Joekel works here, too). That would make it a little easier to trade down and get the QB they want, and maybe nab a few extra picks.

But if trading down doesn't work, overdrafting a QB in this draft is just fine, IMO. The only way KC can really mess this up, IMO, is drafting Manti Te'o at No. 1. Talk about overdrafting... nothing screams "BUST" as a No. 1 pick like a guy who lacks positional value, isn't an impact player at that position, and is an average CFB athlete at his position.

If you're going to overdraft a player, overdraft an impact position player (QB, pass rusher, cornerback - though there are none that fit the bill this year). Don't overdraft a position of limited impact that can be easily filled in later rounds.

We'll see how Joekel grades out as draft day nears. He's a truly elite pass blocker, but his lack of ability in run blocking (where he is just OK, not great) separates him, IMO, from guys like Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, etc.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9267411)
Background: I have never been a QB or bust guy with the Chiefs first-round pick. I have debated quite intensely at times on this board about the guys available to the Chiefs at No. 1 (speaking out markedly against Sanchez and also Matthew "Front Mullet/China Doll/One above-average season" Stafford).

But this year? In this draft that doesn't offer any other true impact options at the Chiefs pick? I'm a "draft-a-QB" guy.

I think expecting a QB of high value to fall to No. 33 might be a big optimistic.

The Jaguars are likely bringing in Tebow, but it wouldn't surprise to see them take a REAL QB at No. 2.

The Raiders need a QB, unless they're pinning their hopes on one game of Terrelle Pryor (in which he posted a 70.1 QB rating - as a Chiefs fan, you hope for this, right?)

The Browns took Brandon Weeden a year ago, but he stinks ( and was a later 1st round pick).

The Cardinals need a QB more than any team not called the Chiefs.

The Bills could draft a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick is just OK, and he's not a spring chicken (He's 30).

The Jets need a QB, as Sanchez is terrible and Tebow is likely gone.

The Chargers have an old and declining Philip Rivers (31) and might be looking to backfill.

That's seven other teams that could logically draft a QB based on need/opportunity. It doesn't account for smart teams (like the Patriots) that would draft a QB if they feel it's the best talent there.

I don't think there are THAT many QBs of equal talent level that you can EXPECT one to fall to No. 33. Especially THE guy. Best thing for the Chiefs would be someone like Jarvis Jones just completely blowing up at the combine, enough to separate himself as the clear No. 1 pick (Joekel works here, too). That would make it a little easier to trade down and get the QB they want, and make nab a few extra picks.

But if trading down doesn't work, overdrafting a QB in this draft is just fine, IMO. The only way KC can really mess this up, IMO, is drafting Manti Te'o at No. 1. Talk about overdrafting... nothing screams "BUST" as a No. 1 pick like a guy who lacks positional value, isn't an impact player at that position, and is an average CFB athlete at his position.

If you're going to overdraft a player, overdraft an impact position player (QB, pass rusher, cornerback - though there are none that fit the bill this year). Don't overdraft a position of limited impact that can be easily filled in later rounds.

We'll see how Joekel grades out as draft day nears. He's a truly elite pass blocker, but his lack of ability in run blocking (where he is just OK, not great) separates him, IMO, from guys like Joe Thomas, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, etc.

Great post.

seamonster 01-02-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9265821)
Linebackers don't win games, QBs DO. How many games has Derrick Johnson won for us throughout his career? How many has ray Lewis won for Baltimore?

Linebackers stop the run.... And today is a passing league.

In todays NFL You get a QB and build the team around him.

Redskins, seahawks, 49ers, and the vikings are all in the playoffs because of running the football. The threat of a run combined with world class speed at the receiver is what's whoring teams out in the league right now.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 9267556)
Redskins, seahawks, 49ers, and the vikings are all in the playoffs because of running the football. The threat of a run combined with world class speed at the receiver is what's whoring teams out in the league right now.

Are any of them going to make it to the Super Bowl? Not likely.

Stop panning for fools gold.

duncan_idaho 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267591)
Are any of them going to make it to the Super Bowl? Not likely.

Stop panning for fools gold.

Exactly. Winning the Super Bowl without a great QB is harder now than it has been in my lifetime (which is actually only 30 years.

The only way one of those teams wins the Super Bowl this year is IF their young QB (RG3, Kaerpernick, Wilson) plays at an elite level. Those guys are all young, dynamic athletes, so it's possible (especially down the road).

Pin Head 01-02-2013 10:28 AM

no Geno in the first round. Not very realistic AT ALL, but....if you could get Geno in the second round--and it was guarenteed--who would you pick #1?[/QUOTE]

I'd like Geno a lot more at the top of round 2. There is some fantastic top end defensive talent. The Raiders are going to get Jarvis Jones I'm afraid. The Raiders and Jags should make out very well with the #2 and #3.

That 1st pick in round 2 is a 1st rounder value IMO...especially in what should be a pretty deep defensive draft. I also like some of the WR with late 1st round grades. We need talent at WR and 5th rounders is not the way to do that.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narrow Head (Post 9267688)
no Geno in the first round. Not very realistic AT ALL, but....if you could get Geno in the second round--and it was guarenteed--who would you pick #1?

I'd like Geno a lot more at the top of round 2. There is some fantastic top end defensive talent. The Raiders are going to get Jarvis Jones I'm afraid. The Raiders and Jags should make out very well with the #2 and #3.

That 1st pick in round 2 is a 1st rounder value IMO...especially in what should be a pretty deep defensive draft. I also like some of the WR with late 1st round grades. We need talent at WR and 5th rounders is not the way to do that.

Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis. It's more likely he, rather than Geno Smith, will fall to the 2nd round.

Pin Head 01-02-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267725)
Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis. It's more likely he, rather than Geno Smith, will fall to the 2nd round.

So did Earl Campbell..played with it his entire career.

King_Chief_Fan 01-02-2013 10:47 AM

If no Geno, then how could you not pick an OL?