ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682)

Mama Hip Rockets 06-22-2011 08:24 PM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but try to avoid going to a White Sox game. Unless you like to get stabbed and/or robbed.

OnTheWarpath15 07-10-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7709389)
Nice bump. I'm thinking of heading up in August for Cards-Cubs.

Have our hotel choices narrowed down to Hotel 71 and Hotel Monaco. Both are right on the river and are close to the red line that will take us straight to Wrigley. Probably going to be up there Thurs-Sun, going to the game on both Friday and Saturday afternoon.

We've already done most if not all of the touristy stuff on other trips - the only things I absolutely want to do this time around is hit Portillo's, and do one of the Chicago River Architecture Tours.

And of course, we'll be hitting Yolk every morning - best breakfast place ever.

Trip is set, and we're going Thursday-Monday.

Tickets for the Friday afternoon Cards-Cubs game came in the mail this week. Scored seats 6 rows behind the Cards dugout for $70 under FV. Still looking for Saturday tickets. May skip Saturday and go Sunday and hope it becomes the ESPN Sunday Night Game.

Decided to stay at Hotel Palomar on State, just north of the river. We enjoy the hell out of that River North/Streeterville area. Definitely hitting Portillo's for lunch one day, since it's just a few blocks away.

Also going to have dinner one night at Benny's Chop house. We had an outstanding meal last time we were there.

Any other suggestions for lunches/dinners?

Definitely up for pizza, but neither of us are fans of the deep dish variety. If we wanted a ****ing casserole, we'd order one. Anyone up there have good pizza with a regular thickness, hand-tossed crust?

DanT 07-10-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7740248)

Tickets for the Friday afternoon Cards-Cubs game came in the mail this week. Scored seats 6 rows behind the Cards dugout for $70 under FV. Still looking for Saturday tickets. May skip Saturday and go Sunday and hope it becomes the ESPN Sunday Night Game.

Decided to stay at Hotel Palomar on State, just north of the river. We enjoy the hell out of that River North/Streeterville area. Definitely hitting Portillo's for lunch one day, since it's just a few blocks away.

Also going to have dinner one night at Benny's Chop house. We had an outstanding meal last time we were there.

Definitely up for pizza, but neither of us are fans of the deep dish variety. If we wanted a ****ing casserole, we'd order one. Anyone up there have good pizza with a regular thickness, hand-tossed crust?

I used to live in Little Italy in Chicago and really liked Pompei's pizza. Back then it was just a neighborhood place that sold terrific pizza by the slice, but they've added locations recently and I see that there is now a location that isn't too far from Wrigley Field:

http://www.pompeipizza.com/restaurant/lakeview/

Brock 07-10-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Pizano's has a fan****ingtastic thin crust pizza.

OnTheWarpath15 07-10-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7740267)

Awesome. Just a half-mile north of our hotel on State Street.

Thanks.

OnTheWarpath15 07-10-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 7740258)
I used to live in Little Italy in Chicago and really liked Pompei's pizza. Back then it was just a neighborhood place that sold terrific pizza by the slice, but they've added locations recently and I see that there is now a location that isn't too far from Wrigley Field:

http://www.pompeipizza.com/restaurant/lakeview/

Might have to look into this place as well. Half-mile east of the hotel.

Thanks.

SLAG 07-10-2011 04:51 PM

Funny this got bumped...

I leave for Chicago tomorrow for an interview on Tuesday.

If all goes well I may be a new Illinois resident

Sent via tapatalk from the EVO 4G

BigRedChief 07-10-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7740267)

yep, good choice for the thin crust variety pizza.

BigRedChief 07-10-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Isn't that up by Second City? Loved seeing a comedy play there.

OnTheWarpath15 07-26-2011 02:26 PM

Question for you guys that live in Chicago, or for those of you that know the city really well.

We thought about flying up for our trip next month, but it seems like a waste for such a short flight.

So, we're going to drive, but we're not going to need the car at all. The hotel we're staying at wants $50 a night for parking.

Is there anywhere we can leave the car for say half that per night? Somewhere safe? We could just dump the car in a garage and cab it to the hotel.

Also willing to park somewhere safe outside of the loop and taking the train in.

Any help appreciated.

petegz28 07-26-2011 02:29 PM

WTF goes to Chicago for thin crust pizza? Are you ****ing kidding me????

OnTheWarpath15 07-26-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 7774514)
WTF goes to Chicago for thin crust pizza? Are you ****ing kidding me????

Not me. I can get thin crust here. Guess it depends on your definition of thin crust.

I would like a good hand-tossed crust while I'm up there.

Don't get the fascination with deep dish. If I wanted a casserole, I'd order one.

But to each their own.

Frazod 07-26-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7774523)
Not me. I can get thin crust here. Guess it depends on your definition of thin crust.

I would like a good hand-tossed crust while I'm up there.

Don't get the fascination with deep dish. If I wanted a casserole, I'd order one.

But to each their own.

I like deep dish (particularly Gino's East), but only occasionally - not something you want to eat all the time.

There's a bar we go to on Fridays that has St. Louis-style thin crust and fried a ravioli appetizer. Works for me. :thumb:

OnTheWarpath15 07-26-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7774538)
I like deep dish (particularly Gino's East), but only occasionally - not something you want to eat all the time.

There's a bar we go to on Fridays that has St. Louis-style thin crust and fried a ravioli appetizer. Works for me. :thumb:

Thoughts on my parking question? Almost avoided posting completely and just PM'ing you.

Easy 6 07-26-2011 02:36 PM

Make sure to tour the historic southside using the El & act as timid as possible.