ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football's Future If the Players Win by Roger Goodell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244358)

DeezNutz 04-26-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7592779)
Yes, there is. It's called negotiating a CBA with a party that you've got a revenue sharing system in place with, and claiming that you're taking a major profitability hit.

No, no, no. This is just like any other employer-employee relationship.

Can you imagine demanding to see your boss's books?!!?

Jaric 04-26-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7592827)
No, no, no. This is just like any other employer-employee relationship.

Can you imagine demanding to see your boss's books?!!?

If I'm one of a very select few people who can do my job which nets my employer millions/billions of dollars I can.

veist 04-26-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 7592703)
In addition to agreeing to 2014 salary cap #'s and an increase in the 2011 cap:

* A rookie wage scale based on the Union’s proposal, which pays 2nd-7th round picks more or the same while repurposing money currently given to first-round picks back to veterans and for benefits.
* A $1 million guarantee for players the year after they get hurt.
* A decrease in number of OTA practices and practice time and additional days off.
* A commitment that an 18-game season would not occur until 2012 and only via agreement by both sides.
* An additional $82 million of owner funding that would go towards improved benefits.
* Retired players can opt into the player medical plan for life.
* Third-party arbitrators for drug and suspension cases.
* Improvements in Mackey Plan and others.
* A minimum salary cap figure of 90 percent of the cap

And yet they were still more than $350M apart from the PA's position. They spent a week sitting with their thumbs collectively up their asses, came back with a weak offer at the 11th hour and the players didn't bite. In fact, I believe the PA's position on the last offer before the decertification has been that it wasn't materially different from what got the extension in the first place.

Look at it from the PA's perspective, they caught the league screwing them with the lockout insurance. They gave them a week's extension in negotiations and as the only real negotiation in that extension got a meh new offer at the 11th hour. And to top it off you are getting hammered in the PR battle. Is your best move to punt and see if the owners actually do something next week as you take another week of them hammering you in PR or make a play for leverage, decertify, and file a lawsuit? Considering where we are today with the NFL crying wolf about how great the status quo was after spending so much time harping about how it was going to bankrupt them I think the players made the entirely correct move.

P.S. The NFL wouldn't repeatedly be getting their ass handed to them legally if there was any law to support the positions they've been taking, it isn't like they are hiring incompetent lawyers.

vailpass 04-26-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 7592841)
If I'm one of a very select few people who can do my job which nets my employer millions/billions of dollars I can.

:LOL:

Just Passin' By 04-26-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592803)
Do you really believe that when the players union negotiated that revenue sharing system they didn't insist on some kind of auditing mechanism to insure that they got their fair share? If they didn't, their representation was incompetent, but that's not the owners' fault.

What was negotiated in the past regarding oversight was clearly insufficient to the current desired tasks. That's not the same as incompetence. The prior desired tasks were not as demanding of information from the owners' financials.

patteeu 04-26-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 7592821)
You can't compare college football to the pros because the college football roster turns over at least every 4 years. There are also hundreds of teams. It's a complete apples to oranges comparison.

As to your second point, while accurate, if the two leagues switched rosters, which league to you think would be more successful? The one with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees as the faces of their respective franchises? Or the one with the corpse of Daunte Culpepper?

Players aren't the only thing that makes the NFL great, but without players no one is watching on Sundays.

Then why don't these startup leagues lure some of the big stars over with huge buckets of money if it's that easy to overtake the NFL? It's not like the NFL actually owns the exclusive right to these players.

I disagree with your argument that college football and pro football are apples and oranges. On the important factors (the game of football), they're both apples. The biggest differences are that college has inferior players overall and that it's stars are flushed every couple of years. That actually strengthens my argument rather than weakens it, IMO.

patteeu 04-26-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7592854)
What was negotiated in the past regarding oversight was clearly insufficient to the current desired tasks. That's not the same as incompetence. The prior desired tasks were not as demanding of information from the owners' financials.

If it didn't serve the oversight purpose then it was incompetent. If the oversight purpose was served, then further disclosure is unnecessary.

Jaric 04-26-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592855)
Then why don't these startup leagues lure some of the big stars over with huge buckets of money if it's that easy to overtake the NFL? It's not like the NFL actually owns the exclusive right to these players.

What do you think happened back in the 60s with the AFL? What you're proposing is precisely why the NFL agreed to merge with the "inferior league" as it was thought of at the time.
Quote:

I disagree with your argument that college football and pro football are apples and oranges. On the important factors (the game of football), they're both apples. The biggest differences are that college has inferior players overall and that it's stars are flushed every couple of years. That actually strengthens my argument rather than weakens it, IMO.
If that is true, why isn't NFL Europe, the UFL, and arena football just as popular? It's football right?

Simplex3 04-26-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 7592841)

There are millions of people that can play football and the owners don't require the best. They just require a competitive product.

There's a best dishwasher salesmen in the world. You don't see Sears or Best Buy in a bidding war to get that guy and paying him millions of dollars a year.

patteeu 04-26-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 7592870)
What do you think happened back in the 60s with the AFL? What you're proposing is precisely why the NFL agreed to merge with the "inferior league" as it was thought of at the time.

Yes, I already mentioned that. Out of the several times that alternative owners attempted to best the NFL, that was the most successful failure. They didn't beat them, but they did well enough to be invited to join.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 7592870)
If that is true, why isn't NFL Europe, the UFL, and arena football just as popular? It's football right?

Because they don't have the NFL owners, their traditions, their infrastructure, and their exposure. It would be a huge setback to the NFL to suffer a one time loss of all of their pro-bowlers to the UFL, but I'd bet that the NFL would overcome that setback and be on top 5 years from now. The UFL might be able to parlay that boon into some kind of merger, but I don't think it could become the dominant pro football league.

Simplex3 04-26-2011 01:56 PM

Those of you on the player's side are also ignoring the fact that the vast majority of the current NFL players would still wind up on an NFL roster, even under new rules set entirely by the owners. A bunch of those guys are living paycheck to paycheck and/or can't make anywhere near that kind of money anywhere else.

DeezNutz 04-26-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592893)
Because they don't have the NFL owners, their traditions, their infrastructure, and their exposure. It would be a huge setback to the NFL to suffer a one time loss of all of their pro-bowlers to the UFL, but I'd bet that the NFL would overcome that setback and be on top 5 years from now. The UFL might be able to parlay that boon into some kind of merger, but I don't think it could become the dominant pro football league.

Where would the television dollars go? To an NFL loaded with scabs? Or to the upstart league loaded with the most talented players?

Infrastructure is the biggest hurdle, and it's an enormous one.

Jaric 04-26-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7592890)
There are millions of people that can play football and the owners don't require the best. They just require a competitive product.

If channel A has a game between Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, and channel B has a game between Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon, who are you going to watch?
Quote:

There's a best dishwasher salesmen in the world. You don't see Sears or Best Buy in a bidding war to get that guy and paying him millions of dollars a year.
:spock:

If (insert big name franchise QB) hit the open NFL market, there would be a bidding war for his services in the millions of dollars. That's why comparing people who aren't NFL players to NFL players is a bad idea. It's a different set of circumstances.

Just Passin' By 04-26-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592864)
If it didn't serve the oversight purpose then it was incompetent. If the oversight purpose was served, then further disclosure is unnecessary.

If I just want a basic revenue total, I only need one amount of information. If I want a full accounting of revenues and expenses, I need a different amount of information. I refuse to believe that you're too stupid to figure this out.

veist 04-26-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7592890)

Instead they hire a marketing department and spend millions on them, advertising and promotional pricing.