ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Miami booster scandal, with Frank Haith mentioned. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248568)

WilliamTheIrish 08-18-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 7833407)
it definitely smells funny.

That's Haith's finger.

WilliamTheIrish 08-18-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7833443)
the more compressed the time frame, the worse it looks for Haith...I was trying to be generous

I know I'm jumping into the middle of this but here goes:

As I recall from that lengthy article, many of Shapiro's phone/text records were expunged. It's possible and entirely plausible that Haithe and Shapiro talked/txt'd hundreds of more times.

EDIT: I'll shut up, I missed a post where you said the same thing.

DJ's left nut 08-18-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7833318)
Probably true, but this was a risky hire to begin with. If this were Calipari, Izzo, or even Self, the school might be more likely to deal with some poor PR for a bit.

But Haith already has two strikes against him before he's even coached a game: 1) poor past performance and 2) named in a massive pay for play scandal.

Can't you just call the 2nd one a grounder to 1b?

I mean one of those really should mean that you're out. It's slightly more egregious than a mere strike.

Al Bundy 08-18-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7833316)
How 'bout the fact that there are credit card receipts and phone records indicating at least 85 calls and texts over a period of a few years between Haith and Shapiro?

Or the corroborating witness to the strip club incident?

Or the alarming amount of corroboration for the other allegations made by Shapiro throughout this story, including some of the players confirming the allegations. Is he just making things up as they relate to Haith?

This is a HELL of a lot more than just "something a felon said."

The NCAA will absolutely burn Frank Haith before all is said and done here. Even if it doesn't, the damage that has been done to Haith's reputation as a man of character has been massive.

Don't disregard what's truly happening here. Charles Robinson, the guy that has now smoked 3 major universities and has built his reputation as a very thorough and accurate investigator, has felt it appropriate to stake his reputation as a journalist on the claims of Nevin Shapiro. Many of these claims, if not most of them, have been corroborated by extrinsic evidence or collateral sources.

This is a major MAJOR blow to the reputation of Frank Haith and by extension, his employer.

And if you can't see that, I have no problem at all marginalizing your opinion because my opinion clearly is more informed - or at least less naive.

Thats fine, however MU must remember the Jim O'Brien deal at Ohio State. Ohio State fired him, when it came back he did nothing wrong Ohio State's money people had to write him a big check.

DJ's left nut 08-18-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowl (Post 7834037)
Thats fine, however MU must remember the Jim O'Brien deal at Ohio State. Ohio State fired him, when it came back he did nothing wrong Ohio State's money people had to write him a big check.

Fine, but O'Brien was also banned from coaching shortly thereafter and by that time, tOSU had already distanced themselves from him. Let's slow down with "he did nothing wrong" - he did, but the courts ruled that OSU at least owed him a due process hearing.

Besides, the PR stain that would've come from his employment when he was busy getting blasted by the NCAA was more expensive than the payout tOSU ended up having to give him.

And that's still a worst case scenario that can be avoided by simply crossing a few Ts here and there. In fact, I'll be the employment contract Haith signed had language expressly dealing with such a contingency (lessons were most assuredly learned from the O'brien fiasco). If not, the University can give him a little dog/pony show before running his ass out. An administrative hearing would probably be sufficient.

Jim O'Brien, a guy later disgraced and run from the game, is hardly the guy I'd be looking towards in trying to save my own skin were I Frank Haith.

Al Bundy 08-18-2011 03:49 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you DJ. If I were an opposing head coach and going head to head for a recruit with Haith right now I would make sure the parents of the recruit knew what was going on with Haith.

DJ's left nut 08-19-2011 02:03 PM

Charles Robinson actually appears to be a pretty cool guy.

Fascinating exchange between he and Tommy Craggs (of Deadspin fame)

http://deadspin.com/5832365/my-corre...arles-robinson

I'm inclined to agree with him - the NCAA has problems, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than "blow it up!!!!!11!111"

The ending is beautiful:

Quote:

In fact, if I wasn't out here exposing the hypocrisy that exists in the first place, you wouldn't have shit to say about it, because the glaring flaws wouldn't be constantly shoved into the public's face. You and "your pals" wouldn't be able to "make a career" out of playing professional bitchy contrarian witness. I'll stick to actually going out and exposing the shit I know is happening, while you sit and take shots at me for it. Enjoy the warmth inside your classroom, professor.

TC: I enjoy these lectures on elevating the discourse from the guy who opened this argument, "Blah blah blah." I think we're done here, yes? Godspeed, Charles. I'll continue to admire everything you write that's not about the NCAA, and I'll continue to marvel at the dimensions and fine wood grain of the stick you're shoving up your ass.

CR: Spoken like a true self-fellating dickwad. Good luck in your endlessly too-cool-for-school endeavors, Tommy Craggs.

Pants 08-19-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7836226)
Charles Robinson actually appears to be a pretty cool guy.

Fascinating exchange between he and Tommy Craggs (of Deadspin fame)

http://deadspin.com/5832365/my-corre...arles-robinson

I'm inclined to agree with him - the NCAA has problems, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than "blow it up!!!!!11!111"

The ending is beautiful:

Great read, thanks for the link. Judging by that exchange, Tommy Craggs is absolutely useless.

DJ's left nut 08-19-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7836275)
Great read, thanks for the link. Judging by that exchange, Tommy Craggs is absolutely useless.

He got proper ****ed in that little 'debate', didn't he?

Craggs is actually a good writer, but he got fed his lunch right there.

Pants 08-19-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7836278)
He got proper ****ed in that little 'debate', didn't he?

Craggs is actually a good writer, but he got fed his lunch right there.

Well, that's what happens when you point out the obvious and offer no solution. Yes, everyone already knows that all schools are dirty, so what? You don't attack a journalist doing an excellent job of exposing one such instance to the public in glorious detail, you praise him for it.

|Zach| 08-19-2011 04:53 PM

As if we were not already in a precarious enough situation. WTF?

Quote:

The NCAA has asked that Missouri officials not conduct their own investigation into allegations that MU Coach Frank Haith had knowledge of and expressed gratitude for a $10,000 payment that helped secure the commitment of a recruit while he was coaching at Miami.
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...th/?tigerextra

eazyb81 09-02-2011 06:44 AM

Faith in Haith!!! (?)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/0...jones-mom.html
Quote:

“This whole thing is such a lie,” said Jones’ mother, Irene Bell, reached by phone in Atlanta, where she has worked nine years in accounts payable at a transportation company. “It is so, so frustrating because our family has been smeared and we are innocent. There is no way I would ever exploit my only child. Never, never, never was any money offered. If that had happened, I’d have been turned off by a coach willing to bend rules.

She said her son has been interviewed by the NCAA and “he felt really good about it because we’re innocent and have nothing to hide.”

Bell, Wheeler High School coach Doug Lipscomb, and AAU coach Desmond Eastmond pointed out the timing of the alleged transaction makes no sense. Jones verbally committed to UM on Sept. 4, 2007 and signed his official letter of intent with UM on Nov. 23, 2007. He moved to the UM campus in June 2008 and took summer classes. The alleged request for $10,000 was “in early summer of 2008,” according to the Yahoo! Sports investigation that was published two weeks ago.

“The whole thing just doesn’t add up,” said Eastmond, who coached Jones’ Atlanta-based Worldwide Renegades AAU team and was directly involved in Jones’ recruitment. “He loved UM from Day One, called me from his first official visit there and said he fell in love with the city of Miami and the coaching staff, felt he’d have a chance to play right away, and that’s where he was going, even though I suggested he wait and visit other schools to have something to compare it to. He made that decision on his own, with no outside influence that I know of. He signed with the school in November of ’07. Why would you need money to secure a commitment from a kid who had already signed with the team?”

Irene Bell said she was never contacted by Yahoo! Sports about the investigation and first heard about it when some colleagues at work saw it online.

eazyb81 09-02-2011 06:45 AM

Also apparently this news isn't going to destroy recruiting, as Haith has landed two new commitments in the last week.

El Jefe 09-02-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7873425)
Also apparently this news isn't going to destroy recruiting, as Haith has landed two new commitments in the last week.

Beaches, women and night life isn't hard to use to recruit players.

eazyb81 09-02-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoJC (Post 7873461)
Beaches, women and night life isn't hard to use to recruit players.

and Lord knows there's plenty of that to go around in Columbia, MO.