ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9829019)
1.) No, clearly you don't "get" what it means for the Lauries to go away.

2.) Petrino isn't the only coach out there that can win games at Missouri.

It's not even the Lauries.

It's the "anonymous" guy behind the huge KC donation announced in the past year... and another family that has donated $65 million to the university since the turn of the century.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829036)
It's not even the Lauries.

It's the "anonymous" guy behind the huge KC donation announced in the past year... and another family that has donated $65 million to the university since the turn of the century.

I was under the impression that the prevailing wisdom was that the anonymous guy was still Laurie money.

Though I'd never heard of a 2nd big-money family. That's some serious jack.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829034)
You think Bobby Petrino would be just as successful at Missouri as he was at Arkansas. I believe he would NOT be as successful because of the huge hits his reputation has taken. For a guy who already was not a recruiting dynamo, that will just be crippling.

I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky

I agree his recruiting has never been great, but his coaching has been very good. He's got guys that were at Louisville and at Arkansas that are playing in the league.

To me, winning is what matters. I wanted to hire Bob Huggins, I wanted to hire John Calipari, and I'll take Petrino as well. If they leave in 4 years but the program is in better shape then it was before, then so be it. Hire a new guy like Arkansas did (in between an 18 month disaster)

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9829019)
1.) No, clearly you don't "get" what it means for the Lauries to go away.

2.) Petrino isn't the only coach out there that can win games at Missouri.

Name another coach that will say yes and has proven he can win in the SEC.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829096)

I don't care about "proven he can win", I care about "can win". There's a difference, and it's not insignificant.

Spurrier, Saban, and Miles all once worked jobs before they had proven they could win in the SEC and yet they...won in the SEC.

You don't have to hire a proven name, you don't have to hire the most well known guy. You have to hire the right guy.

Chiefs fans, of all people, should know this. Dick Vermeil was a proven guy. Scott Pioli was a 3x Executive of the Decade. Neither one of them were the right guy.

The most well known candidate or the one with the most panache is rarely the best candidate for the job, just the best marketed.

Mosbonian 07-23-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829034)
I don't think I'm alone in that assessment. If other ADs thought he could be as successful now as he was at Arkansas, he'd be the head coach at Auburn, Tennessee or Kentucky right now.

No one in Kentucky wanted to touch Petrino with a 10 foot pole.....one idiot sportwriter mentioned his name when they fired Joker Phillips and one particular response to his name made me laugh. It was:

"I'd rather take a chance on Eminem or Roseanna Barr singing "My Ol' Kentucky Home" at Churchill Downs and not butchering it before I would take a chance on Petrino coaching the UK football team".

patteeu 07-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829096)

The vast majority of the best coaches of the future haven't proven they can win in the SEC yet.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9829063)
I was under the impression that the prevailing wisdom was that the anonymous guy was still Laurie money.

Though I'd never heard of a 2nd big-money family. That's some serious jack.

Not the Laurie's... from what I heard, a true Kansas City donor. He has donated big money in the past, just not that big, and owns a publishing/printing empire.

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9829087)
I agree his recruiting has never been great, but his coaching has been very good. He's got guys that were at Louisville and at Arkansas that are playing in the league.

To me, winning is what matters. I wanted to hire Bob Huggins, I wanted to hire John Calipari, and I'll take Petrino as well. If they leave in 4 years but the program is in better shape then it was before, then so be it. Hire a new guy like Arkansas did (in between an 18 month disaster)

He's not the same guy he was. That's the deal. That's why he didn't get an offer from one of the SEC schools that had an opening this fall.

Auburn has been trying to hire this guy in a variety of ways since 2002. They had an opening at the same time Petrino was unemployed and were not interested. That should tell you how far the guy's stock has fallen.

He's still a brilliant offensive mind, but recruiting would be even more of a challenge for him now, and at some point the Jimmies and Joes matter.

He has NO credibility on the recruiting trail. That's the issue.

And I was pro-Huggins and pro-Calipari. This is not an issue with his integrity or anything like that.

It's just that the reward in hiring him is not as great as you're thinking or as great as it once was.

WhawhaWhat 07-23-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9829225)
The vast majority of the best coaches of the future haven't proven they can win in the SEC yet.

Well let's roll them all through until one hits. We certainly have a great track record of picking the right one.

ChiefsCountry 07-23-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829228)
Not the Laurie's... from what I heard, a true Kansas City donor. He has donated big money in the past, just not that big, and owns a publishing/printing empire.

Walsworth?

Pepe Silvia 07-23-2013 01:06 PM

I hate that we need the POS Lauries money. Those ****ers made Mizzou get Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self. *Que Mass Facepalm scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3*

duncan_idaho 07-23-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9829450)
I hate that we need the POS Lauries money. Those ****ers made Mizzou get Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self. *Que Mass Facepalm scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3*

Would it help to hear that Bill is a big fan of getting sloshed and rolling around Columbia in his Rolls?

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9829457)
Would it help to hear that Bill is a big fan of getting sloshed and rolling around Columbia in his Rolls?

He's not shy about the ol' "do you know who I am?" card...

Laurie's rep around Columbia is well established. He's pretty much a class-A cad.

ChiefsCountry 07-23-2013 01:17 PM

Bill Laurie has always been a piece of shit, even growing up according to my uncle who graduated with him, and my parents who knew him all through his younger days.