ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

Fish 04-23-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 10579588)
Smaug didn't impress me much. by the time I saw the movie, i was sick of hearing the name pronounced Smowg. Yech. where are Smaugs arms? and why does he look blue nosed? I thought LOTR had a really good blend of PR and CGI. The Hobbit was decent when i watched without 3D. Hobbit:DoS dragged on and left with another cliff hanger. none of that melted gold looked convincing. And that made no sense that Smaug was able to fly while coated in it.

That's how it's supposed to be pronounced...

Fishpicker 04-23-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10579928)
That's how it's supposed to be pronounced...

true. most people pronounce Smaug as smog though. if his name were pronounced smog, that would be a fitting name.

underEJ 04-23-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Smaug didn't impress me much. by the time I saw the movie, i was sick of hearing the name pronounced Smowg. Yech. where are Smaugs arms? and why does he look blue nosed? I thought LOTR had a really good blend of PR and CGI. The Hobbit was decent when i watched without 3D. Hobbit:DoS dragged on and left with another cliff hanger. none of that melted gold looked convincing. And that made no sense that Smaug was able to fly while coated in it.

I saw the first Hobbit and saw twenty minutes of Smaug at the Oscar short list presentation in the intended frame rate and stereo, and Smaug is an abomination. I think some of the issue is the amount of light needed to double frame rate. It is very unattractive to light scenes that way, and there is no amount of color grading that will cover what is fundamentally bad lighting. You can do alot with grading as long as you have a good value structure with which to start. Somebody is going to have to reinvent lighting for movies with high frame rate as the usual compositions do not seem to work particularly with strong back lighting. However they will never pay to light a movie once for HFR and then again for regular releases so one will always suffer.

Anyong Bluth 04-24-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10577404)
I'm reading the Silmarillion now. So interesting!

Rest assured with the $$$ they make of these they'll find a way to make a movie(s) for any of his stuff.

Toilet paper confirmed he wiped his ass with would probably get greenlit.

Setsuna 04-24-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10582274)
Rest assured with the $$$ they make of these they'll find a way to make a movie(s) for any of his stuff.

Toilet paper confirmed he wiped his ass with would probably get greenlit.

LMAO Indeed.

Deberg_1990 05-18-2014 08:12 AM

Ouch. The truth hurts......

Viggo Morentson

“Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first [Lord of the Rings] movie, yes, there’s Rivendell and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes — it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like [all] that to the power of 10.” — Viggo Mortensen on Peter Jackson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...gs%27+Sequels+

Amnorix 12-17-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

The "giant molten gold dwarf" weapon, thing, whatever, was just about the stupidest idea i've ever seen put on film.

And I agree that Jackson has gone Lucas-levels of insane with the CGI. It's a trend. Movies are increasingly absurd/unrealistic across the board. I can suspend belief, but only so far. Please don't make me start disbelieving obvious laws of physics.

Deberg_1990 12-17-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 11198750)
The "giant molten gold dwarf" weapon, thing, whatever, was just about the stupidest idea i've ever seen put on film.

And I agree that Jackson has gone Lucas-levels of insane with the CGI. It's a trend. Movies are increasingly absurd/unrealistic across the board. I can suspend belief, but only so far. Please don't make me start disbelieving obvious laws of physics.

Agreed. I can hardly watch a Peter Jackson film anymore. Viggo said it best in the link i posted above.

Hammock Parties 12-17-2014 08:17 PM

Really loved the third one. Gandalf packing and smoking his pipe at the end was just beautiful.

Got a little choked up at the end. That's it for Ian.

White Council shitting on Dol Guldur was really fun.

I am truly sad we're leaving this fantasy universe...but maybe PJ can give us the Silmarillion? I'd cum buckets!

keg in kc 12-17-2014 08:22 PM

Okay, can't embed what I tried to embed earlier because it has pillowbiter in the url... LMAO

Honest trailer for smaug: http://bit.ly/1zuvD7d

mnchiefsguy 12-17-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Alex's Losses (Post 11199445)
Really loved the third one. Gandalf packing and smoking his pipe at the end was just beautiful.

Got a little choked up at the end. That's it for Ian.

White Council shitting on Dol Guldur was really fun.

I am truly sad we're leaving this fantasy universe...but maybe PJ can give us the Silmarillion? I'd cum buckets!

Too bad Christopher Tolkien won't give up the film rights to the Silmarillion...

I really liked the third one as well...looking forward to the extended cut on blu-ray.

Deberg_1990 12-17-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11199457)
Okay, can't embed what I tried to embed earlier because it has pillowbiter in the url... LMAO

Honest trailer for smaug: http://bit.ly/1zuvD7d

Legoland and Random CGI Orc villian #2

ROFL

Hammock Parties 12-17-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 11199474)
Too bad Christopher Tolkien won't give up the film rights to the Silmarillion...

I really liked the third one as well...looking forward to the extended cut on blu-ray.

Money talks...would also be cool to see someone else try it, although I still trust PJ despite what people say about The Hobbit.

I'd also like to see a Gandalf movie...Ian could carry it. Maybe make it like Gandalf's autobiography. Telling the tale of Olorin the Maiar since his creation by Eru.

There is also a four-year gap between the end of Lord of the Rings and Gandalf leaving with Frodo for the Grey Havens...so it wouldn't be a huge stretch.

RunKC 12-18-2014 08:37 AM

Liked the 3rd one but…

Spoiler!

Halfcan 12-20-2014 09:47 AM

Loved the whole series-saw the last one last night with my kids. Freaking amazing!! Best series of All Time and it is not even close.