ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy blames himself, not Alex, for Chiefs' sputtering offense (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277519)

BossChief 10-17-2013 07:45 AM

Anyone else find it weird that Dane used to call for peoples heads that used a term like "no homo" after a post because of it's destructive nature towards the gay community, but nowadays seems to call people a cock sucker regularly.

Just thought that was odd, but oh well. Carry on, cock suckers.

BossChief 10-17-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10092831)
Why sustain drives when you can just go three and out, punt, then force a turnover on defense, though?

Smith knows how to win.

ROFL

King_Chief_Fan 10-17-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10093061)
And the people who are impressed by that are the same people who praised Cassel in 2010. The guy had 4 INTs in the first 15 weeks of play. He was being compared to Tom Brady.

links?

Bearcat 10-17-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10093076)
Yes there is.

In 2010 Matt Cassel did a great job of protecting the ball.

He also could not throw down the field to save his life, the same as Alex.

It is almost exactly the same situation now, except Cassel was actually a more productive passer than Alex Smith that year.

Through six weeks that year, Cassel was:

The Chiefs were averaging 21.5 OPPG (I took out defensive/special teams scores).

This year, through six weeks, Alex is:

The Chiefs are averaging 19.5 OPPG this year.

Sure, the Chiefs were 4-2 that year. Why?

1. They lost to Peyton Manning.
2. They lost a game to a team that scored 35 points.

We're going to lose in the same situations with Alex as we did with Cassel in 2010. I guarantee you.

HUGE upgrade... what about the intangible stats? I'm sure Smith is way ahead in those.

petegz28 10-17-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10091512)
Not having explosive players does not preclude an offense from being either efficient or productive.

Although, frankly, they do have explosive players. Avery certainly is. Christ, he's averaging 17 yards a catch. And he actually has been behind the defense a number of times, but Smith simply can't get the ball there. That has to be a major part of the problem at this point: when your QB physically can't throw a pass longer than about 30 yards, the defense doesn't have to work real hard to keep everything in front of them.

But I think the biggest problem right now, aside from the line play on the first three drives Sunday (which did clear up after that point) is that Smith has suddenly become wildly inaccurate. He's even missing on the short passes now.

Save the 40 yard bomb against Ten among a couple others

petegz28 10-17-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10093059)
He's had several INTs dropped, and the team as a whole has had several fumbles go out of bounds. Fortune has definitely been smiling down on us. Karmic balancing-out from last season's horrors.

EVERY QB has had "several INT's dropped"

JFC....you guys act like you have never watched other teams

petegz28 10-17-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10093057)
Alex Smith has the good fortune of playing with the #1 defense.

He almost never has to play from behind.

If he did, I have a feeling we'd see a far more turnover prone QB. Right now he has the luxury of almost never having to fit the ball into a tight window when the team really needs it. He basically sat around with his thumb up his ass last game apart from one drive.

Shit, he's already had 6-7 INTs dropped this year. Those are going to be secured if he keeps it up.

And the #1 defense has the fortune of playing with a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and consistently put them in bad positions. It's all a cycle. One benfits from the other...thus it being called a team sport.

okcchief 10-17-2013 08:08 AM

Alex Smith doesn't put the team in bad situations. That's really the only thing he's adding to the teams success. The offensive line isn't helping matters, but he's average at best. If Reid had a chance to trade for Romo he absolutely would. Jason Garrett and the Cowboys defense has more to do with their recent problems than Romo IMO. He's definately not good in the clutch, but I dont see how any Chief wouldn't drool at the thought of Reid working with a talent like that.

JENKINSWINS 10-17-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10093261)
Alex Smith doesn't put the team in bad situations. That's really the only thing he's adding to the teams success. The offensive line isn't helping matters, but he's average at best. If Reid had a chance to trade for Romo he absolutely would. Jason Garrett and the Cowboys defense has more to do with their recent problems than Romo IMO. He's definately not good in the clutch, but I dont see how any Chief wouldn't drool at the thought of Reid working with a talent like that.

Hell, he better get Bryant and Witten while he's at it. Imagine the drooling that would happen with the thought of Reid working with talent like that.

Ace Gunner 10-17-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Yes there is.

In 2010 Matt Cassel did a great job of protecting the ball.

He also could not throw down the field to save his life, the same as Alex.

It is almost exactly the same situation now, except Cassel was actually a more productive passer than Alex Smith that year.

Through six weeks that year, Cassel was:

The Chiefs were averaging 21.5 OPPG (I took out defensive/special teams scores).

This year, through six weeks, Alex is:

The Chiefs are averaging 19.5 OPPG this year.

Sure, the Chiefs were 4-2 that year. Why?

1. They lost to Peyton Manning.
2. They lost a game to a team that scored 35 points.

We're going to lose in the same situations with Alex as we did with Cassel in 2010. I guarantee you.

then we are going to lose to the texans this weekend. and we'll lose to the raiders twice. and the Colts will win too.

sure.

JENKINSWINS 10-17-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Gunner (Post 10093441)
then we are going to lose to the texans this weekend. and we'll lose to the raiders twice. and the Colts will win too.

sure.

Exactly, this year KC should only beat the same 2 teams they did last year.

Bearcat 10-17-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Gunner (Post 10093441)

sure.

Yeah, that's what he meant. :facepalm:

NinerDoug 10-17-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10093258)
And the #1 defense has the fortune of playing with a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and consistently put them in bad positions. It's all a cycle. One benfits from the other...thus it being called a team sport.

I think your O is also pretty good in the time of possession battle, which your D would appreciate.

JENKINSWINS 10-17-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 10093467)
I think your O is also pretty good in the time of possession battle, which your D would appreciate.

If they can go into the bye healthy and come out of it even healthier. They should have plenty of time to watch film and see how to put people in better position to be effective in the offense. Using that time wisely will only help this young offense become better. Look how they were able to implement Chad Hall in the Titans game. I can see more of that coming up with others players. They just need the time to get it together. If they come out of the bye and they are still struggling, then maybe it's fair to hit the panic button.

FringeNC 10-17-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Equating outcomes in 2013 with outcomes in 2010, based solely on offense is crazy. Our D appears to be dominant now, it was only a little bit above average in 2010.

Sure, there's no doubt that right now, our offense is worse than it was in 2010, but I'd attribute that exclusively to how bad our O-line is playing. JC averaged 6.4 yards per carry in 2010. Simply unheard of. If JC averaged 6.4 yards this year, we'd be unbeatable. And he was not averaging 6.4 yards in 2010 because opposing Ds were scared of Matt Cassel.