ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Amber Alert in Springfield (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281569)

Phobia 02-19-2014 09:18 PM

Can you imagine how those background checks would be worded in order to satisfy the dreams of some people around here?

Hasn't yet killed any children: yes / no
Predisposed to murder of children: yes / no

How on earth do you determine this stuff in a grown person?

J Diddy 02-19-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10442336)
I'm just saying unless it's determined the killer has a prior history of abducting and murdering small children (which is of course sick by all accounts) then something ****ed up happened with the guy.

perhaps, perhaps not

Seems like the best thing would be to require a yearly psych eval but that's still not a guarantee. Might help though.

afchief 02-19-2014 09:37 PM

Guy could be nuttier than a fruit cake but he still needs to fry.
Insanity plea shouldn't apply in cases involving adults harming children.

Demonpenz 02-19-2014 09:38 PM

what was the deal with mass texts?

threebag 02-19-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afchief (Post 10442440)
Guy could be nuttier than a fruit cake but he still needs to fry.
Insanity plea shouldn't apply in cases involving adults harming children.

Amen. Or due process. You should be destroyed instantly if you harm a child.

tooge 02-19-2014 09:51 PM

Parents, its a shitty world out there. There are freaks all over. Don't let your kids wander alone. Sick ****s like this guy are out there.

Al Czervik 02-19-2014 09:54 PM

Truly heartbreaking MTG....So sorry for your families loss....
And not one **** should be given to the perp....
And not one bullet should be wasted....
I propose he is hung like a chunk of chicken and suspended about
1 foot over the largest gator swamp in Louisiana.....
Complete ****ing garbage this guy is.....

Brock 02-19-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10442400)
Can you imagine how those background checks would be worded in order to satisfy the dreams of some people around here?

Hasn't yet killed any children: yes / no
Predisposed to murder of children: yes / no

How on earth do you determine this stuff in a grown person?

It's not possible.

Phobia 02-19-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10442477)
Parents, its a shitty world out there. There are freaks all over. Don't let your kids wander alone. Sick ****s like this guy are out there.

Wasn't she a block from her house? I let my kid wander around that distance every day of the week. She also knows to beat feet if any stranger comes around or a car comes near her asking questions.

J Diddy 02-19-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10442508)
Wasn't she a block from her house? I let my kid wander around that distance every day of the week. She also knows to beat feet if any stranger comes around or a car comes near her asking questions.

It's a tough predicament for sure. I think you have to give them that freedom, though.

ThaVirus 02-19-2014 10:12 PM

There was one time that I thought my sister had been abducted. I was 17 or so which would have made her about Hailey's age at the time. Luckily, it turned out that she had just gone with her friend to another friend's apartment in our building. It was night time though and scared the shit out of me. Literally the worst feeling I've ever had. Nothing even comes close.

I can't imagine how anyone in this situations feels. I'm sorry.

Jimmya 02-19-2014 10:13 PM

It's very tough to keep an eye on them 100%, but you go to try to be as vigilant as possible.

BullJunkandIron 02-19-2014 10:18 PM

MTG our family prayers to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. I cry to think how much this will change lives. I'm so sorry how life will never be the way it was before this. Stay true to your beliefs and know we love you.

Deberg_1990 02-19-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 10442278)

From what I've learned over the years of having a child abuse and neglect investigator at the dinner table, you usually don't just snap into a child predator.

Yea, that's what's odd. He appears on the surface to just have been a mostly normal dude for most of his life....then just snapped and decided to kidnap a kid one day? Wut?

But it did appear to be planned. He kidnapped her, killed her, bleach cleaned it up, washed his clothes at a local wash, and boxed her up in some totes, then got caught all within a 3 1/2 hour period.

DaFace 02-19-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10442508)

Good. One of my biggest pet peeves about modern society is our constant state of fear. While my deepest sympathies are with the girl's family, the fact is that kids aren't any less safe today than they were 50 years ago. In fact, most of the stats say they're more safe than they've ever been. Teaching your kids to be smart, but let them have some semblance of independence. Kids need to learn to be kids.

EDIT: Found this to emphasize the point.

http://i.imgur.com/T9fFasO.png
http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/