ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****Official 2013-14 Missouri Tiger Football Repository Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271290)

WhawhaWhat 10-29-2013 09:19 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Missouri QB James Franklin has resumed throwing and is listed as questionable vs. Tennessee</p>&mdash; Joe Schad (@schadjoe) <a href="https://twitter.com/schadjoe/statuses/395207635773177856">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mosbonian 10-29-2013 09:34 AM

Anyone who wasn't angry about that game on Saturday needs to have their pulse checked. This is the first day I will actually talk about it.....

It was a complete collapse in every way, shape and form. Offense, Defense...Special Teams.

Who doesn't adjust the defense after the first time someone gashes you on a Screen? And who doesn't prepare for that when it is 3 and 19? Who lets a team score on 4th and 15?

Why was Bagget trying to kill that FG attempt like he was trying to kick from the 40 yard line? He just plain overpowered that kick when he didn't need to....it was like he was going for style and distance points!

Where were Henson and Pinkel when Mauk was doing stupid Freshman mistakes? Why not call a timeout and whisper in his ear? He was nervous and there was no one to tell him to calm down and let his instincts take over? Why did we go away from the quick hits over the middle? Where was all that talent that DGB is supposed to have on the 2 plays that he SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT!

This was a whole team debacle/meltdown....anyone who says differently is kidding themselves.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2013 09:52 AM

Saturday was brutal.

This is the first thing I have said about that game other than "Because... Mizzou"

Just a tremendous sucker punch... or, rather, a series of them.

The multiple 3rd and forever conversions on screen passes...

The decision to play for OT when SCAR had all the momentum...

The TD on 4th and 15...

Getting to 1st and goal and then not running any more plays out of the most successful formation against SCAR (pistol - run AT Clowney)

Missing the FG

Tough one to bounce back from. Need to take out some frustration on Tennessee.

Only positives I see:

1) End of QB controversy. If Franklin comes back HEALTHY, there will be no question who should be starting (I still am hearing the coaches expect him to be 100 percent by the Kentucky game)

2) The loss was to a good team and in a close fashion. SEC respect works in their favor there, at least.

Saul Good 10-29-2013 10:00 AM

I will say this...Pinkel teams have done a good job handling tough losses. They have done a poor job of handling big wins. Hopefully this holds true against Tennessee.

warpaint* 10-29-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10137454)
I will say this...Pinkel teams have done a good job handling tough losses. They have done a poor job of handling big wins. Hopefully this holds true against Tennessee.

Interesting. I never really thought of them as good or bad at that in general.

2010 TTech
2008 Texas

Those are the two most comparable examples and they certainly did not respond well after losing to Nebraska and Oklahoma State respectively. It's hard to get back after a loss like that.

Moreover every team is different and we really won't know how this one responds until Saturday. For some reason I think this team is resilient although I don't really have much of a basis just yet. Just kind of a hunch. We will see.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10137545)

2010 TTech
2008 Texas

Those are the two most comparable examples and they certainly did not respond well after losing to Nebraska and Oklahoma State respectively. It's hard to get back after a loss like that.

Moreover every team is different and we really won't know how this one responds until Saturday. For some reason I think this team is resilient although I don't really have much of a basis just yet. Just kind of a hunch. We will see.

I think that TExas team was just much, much better than the 2008 Missouri squad.

2010 against Texas Tech... Missouri got Yosted AND Gabbert was playing with post-concussion stuff after the Nebraska game. Not having a viable backup hurt quite a bit in that game (thanks, Blaine Dalton).

patteeu 10-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10137545)

2010 TTech
2008 Texas

One thing that will help is that this game is at home. Both of those games were on the road.

warpaint* 10-29-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10137569)
I think that TExas team was just much, much better than the 2008 Missouri squad.

2010 against Texas Tech... Missouri got Yosted AND Gabbert was playing with post-concussion stuff after the Nebraska game. Not having a viable backup hurt quite a bit in that game (thanks, Blaine Dalton).

No question Texas was better but the team still did not play well.

I don't remember the Gabbert injury against Tech.

I am not really arguing Saul's point necessarily. I'd never really thought of it in general before and those games entered my mind.

And he's definitely right about not handling big wins well. Pinkel had a quote recently talking about Don James (paraphrasing) where he said after a big win (GA I think) James told him it was time to look to the next one and it didn't matter if they lost the next one or something to that effect and it made him mad initially, implicating being that he wanted to enjoy it longer. It struck me as odd as that's coaching 101.

That's not why we didn't play well Sat mind you.

warpaint* 10-29-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10137616)
One thing that will help is that this game is at home. Both of those games were on the road.

Absolutely.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-29-2013 03:18 PM

Gabbert took a vicious H2H shot in the Nebraska game and you could tell he wasn't right in the postgame interview. He very clearly had a concussion, played the next week, and played like he had a concussion.

duncan_idaho 10-29-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10137637)
No question Texas was better but the team still did not play well.

I don't remember the Gabbert injury against Tech.

I am not really arguing Saul's point necessarily. I'd never really thought of it in general before and those games entered my mind.

And he's definitely right about not handling big wins well. Pinkel had a quote recently talking about Don James (paraphrasing) where he said after a big win (GA I think) James told him it was time to look to the next one and it didn't matter if they lost the next one or something to that effect and it made him mad initially, implicating being that he wanted to enjoy it longer. It struck me as odd as that's coaching 101.

That's not why we didn't play well Sat mind you.

I'm with you. I thought they did a good job handling the big win against Georgia. Not so good Saturday.

That 2010 Texas Tech game was maddening. Jumped out to a 14-0 lead and then watched it collapse. Win that game, and they're contending for a BCS at-large bid (and I think would have won the Big 12 North in its final year of existence).

Reaper16 10-29-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 10136936)
You people have issues.

We're sports fans, posting on a sports message board. Of course we have issues. That's a given.

'Hamas' Jenkins 10-29-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10138767)
I'm with you. I thought they did a good job handling the big win against Georgia. Not so good Saturday.

That 2010 Texas Tech game was maddening. Jumped out to a 14-0 lead and then watched it collapse. Win that game, and they're contending for a BCS at-large bid (and I think would have won the Big 12 North in its final year of existence).

They win it outright if they win that game, 7-1 in conference. Nebraska had two losses.

Eleazar 10-29-2013 03:42 PM

really, GoChiefs and Sweet Daddy Taint already have this Major League/Indians fan schtick nailed.

eazyb81 10-29-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

ESPN2 televised its most-viewed game of the 2013 season on Saturday, averaging 3,051,000 viewers and a 1.8 HH US rating for South Carolina’s 27-24 win against Missouri. It’s also ESPN2’s most-viewed regular-season college football game since Sept. 9, 2012 (Georgia at Missouri averaged 4,119,000 viewers and a 2.4 HH US rating).
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-game-of-week/