ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

whoman69 11-08-2012 04:22 PM

IMO Lynn is better going back to the bullpen. We really needed a guy this year who could come in the 5th or 6th inning. We have a glut of potential starters. I wouldn't propose trading any of them because we could always find ourselves without Carp, Waino Garcia or one of our other pitchers.

BigRedChief 11-08-2012 05:21 PM

Why does anyone think Holiday can be traded? Why would he waive his no trade clause?

BigRedChief 11-08-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 9098495)
Again, don't give the guy away, but if you get the opportunity to significantly upgrade at SS, and maybe some solid left handed pitching help you have to take a serious look. I don't want to touch any of our young pitching right now.

Those who would trade our top young pitchers for a 2 years of SS are not thinking long term.

These Billion $ cable contracts are going to change baseball. We have to think long term. Continue on our develop your own path. Emphasis on pitching. The great equalizer is young pitching. How we did it this year and last is how we are going to compete against billion $ contracts. Young pitching, under control position players, cheap vetrans and 4 or less big money contracts on the club at one time.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-08-2012 05:47 PM

Hey, at least they gave Lynn a shot in the postseason and didn't pussy out like the Nats did with Stras. Let him build up his arm and prepare to be a starter, see what he does then.

Frazod 11-08-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9099265)
Why does anyone think Holiday can be traded? Why would he waive his no trade clause?

Wishful thinking?

whoman69 11-09-2012 08:29 PM

Happy Birthday to 2 Cardinal HOFers, Bob Gibson and Whitey Herzog.

seclark 11-09-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9102422)
Happy Birthday to 2 Cardinal HOFers, Bob Gibson and Whitey Herzog.

gibby'll take the piece of cake on the inside of that plate.
hbd
sec

BigRedChief 11-09-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9102442)
gibby'll take the piece of cake on the inside of that plate.
hbd
sec

Saw a Costas interview of Gibby and McCarver. Gibby had a player hit a home run off him. that player retired and never faced Gibby again. 10 years later at a charity exhibition long after gibby retired, that player came up to bat, Gibby plunked him in the side.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-13-2012 01:09 PM

@JoeStrauss Cardinals release Kyle McClellan, longest-tenured reliever.

DJ's left nut 11-13-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9115552)
@JoeStrauss Cardinals release Kyle McClellan, longest-tenured reliever.

Hope they bring him back cheaper, though it seems unlikely.

He was a good Cardinal and a solid dude. Hometown kid that did whatever the team asked of him whenever he could. There's a good chance that the bullets he took for the organization when WW went down in 2011 are what led to his current ailments.

Granted, he's been handsomely compensated for those bullets, but I hope the Cards give him a fair 'make-good' deal and a chance to stick on the squad.

whoman69 11-13-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9115640)
Hope they bring him back cheaper, though it seems unlikely.

He was a good Cardinal and a solid dude. Hometown kid that did whatever the team asked of him whenever he could. There's a good chance that the bullets he took for the organization when WW went down in 2011 are what led to his current ailments.

Granted, he's been handsomely compensated for those bullets, but I hope the Cards give him a fair 'make-good' deal and a chance to stick on the squad.

I think the time as a starter ruined him. He was pretty good in 2009 and 2010 but not much since, although he won 12 as a starter. They filled his spot with backup catcher Rob Johnson from the Mets.

O.city 12-09-2012 11:06 PM

So we signed Choate, good or bad?

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9195488)
So we signed Choate, good or bad?

He was the consensus best LOOGY on the FA market. Several teams wanted him. We had to give him a 3 year deal instead of a 2 year deal to win the bidding war. Still not a lot of money.

O.city 12-09-2012 11:18 PM

Would have liked to grab some middle infield help but I guess we are rolling with Furcal?

BigRedChief 12-09-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9195529)
Would have liked to grab some middle infield help but I guess we are rolling with Furcal?

yep, going to be a gap for us just like last year if Furcal goes down or falls off the cliff we are in trouble.