ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

DeezNutz 04-20-2014 04:19 PM

Lagunitas Sucks is decent. More than decent, actually. But Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is better.

TimBone 04-20-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10574984)
Lagunitas Sucks is decent. More than decent, actually. But Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is better.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree.

Phobia 04-21-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10574277)
Has anybody tried Boulevard Terra Incognita?

I have. I really wanted to like it too. It's one of the few Smokestack series I don't really care for.

Phobia 04-21-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10574984)

Lil Sumpin Sumpin is a drinkable beer but Sucks is eons better. It's like comparing the 93 and 94 Chiefs.

TimBone 04-21-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10575576)
I have. I really wanted to like it too. It's one of the few Smokestack series I don't really care for.

I'm in the same boat. I saw it while stocking up on my last trip to Houston. I saw that it was a Boulevard/Sierra Nevada collab, and I figured it should be great. I grabbed two big bottles. Opened the first bottle last night. It was finishable, but beyond that I wasn't impressed. I'll drink the next bottle as well, but it's not one I'm looking forward to drinking.

I wish Boulevard would bring back the Reboot White IPA. That was a beer I was pleasantly surprised by.

TimBone 04-21-2014 01:10 AM

Overall though, the Smokestack series is very impressive. Tank 7, Double Wide IPA, Sixth Glass are all great...and that's not even getting into the seasonal and limited releases.

Phobia 04-21-2014 01:12 AM

Yeah, I obviously love Boulevard and I like most things from Sierra Nevada as well so I was sure I would like it. Nope. I'm not even certain I finished it. I only had Reboot on tap at the brewery and it was good enough but there wasn't anything about it that really resonated with me to the point I wanted to buy it.

Phobia 04-21-2014 01:13 AM

I actually have a Chocolate in my fridge if somebody is dying to get their hands on one, I'm willing to part with it.

TimBone 04-21-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10575585)
I actually have a Chocolate in my fridge if somebody is dying to get their hands on one, I'm willing to part with it.

A couple of months ago, I would have jumped at that. Mikey hooked me up though, and I found a couple of bottles in Houston. It was just average, but I hear this years batch wasn't as good as normal though. I've still got a bottle as well. Gonna save it for my sister in law coming from Cali in June.

Archie F. Swin 04-21-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10575576)
... one of the few Smokestack series I don't really care for.

Saison Brett was a huge disappointment for me. Bourbon Barrel Quad is easily one of my most favorite beers on the market.

Reaper16 04-21-2014 07:25 AM

More beers with Brettanomyces for me then, I guess.

KC native 04-21-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10575586)
A couple of months ago, I would have jumped at that. Mikey hooked me up though, and I found a couple of bottles in Houston. It was just average, but I hear this years batch wasn't as good as normal though. I've still got a bottle as well. Gonna save it for my sister in law coming from Cali in June.

This years batch was hit and miss. I bought a couple bottles when it first showed up and was hugely disappointed. Found it on tap at a beer bar here and it was fantastic. A couple more bombers showed up so I figured that I'd give it another go round, and it was closer to what I had on tap and the last time Boulevard made it.

KC native 04-21-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 10575635)
Saison Brett was a huge disappointment for me. Bourbon Barrel Quad is easily one of my most favorite beers on the market.

:spock:

phisherman 04-21-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10575655)
:spock:

I wondered about that too.

Saison Brett is consistently very good and continues to improve with age.

Archie F. Swin 04-21-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 10575657)
I wondered about that too.

We're 50 pages into a beer thread and you're assuming my tastes will be in lock-step with other planeteers? I read a lot of acclaim for Saison Brett and jumped on a bottle as soon as I saw one, expecting a wonderful beer experience. I guess my expectation were too high.